Issue #928 - April 5, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, April 5 1998     Volume 01 : Number 928

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Stop the insanity!!!
    Two geeks, a boy named Simon, and no drawings.
    BFF in the UK?!?
    Re: Dates
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #924
    embarrassing mistake & Song for the Dumped video news
    Re: Angry at One Angry Steve
    best songs
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #924
    BFF POLL : answer it !!!
    trades

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 23:23:28 -0700
From: nrhaynes1@juno.com (nathan r haynes)
Subject: Stop the insanity!!!

I'll put this simply.
EVERYBODY SHUT UP ABOUT THE SELLOUT THING!!!

Well, I'm off like a prom dress!
Nate

"Ahhh, beer."-Homer

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 01:34:50 EST
From: KNULPREK <KNULPREK@aol.com>
Subject: Two geeks, a boy named Simon, and no drawings.

Hey folks. Well, how many of you went out and saw Mercury Rising, staring the
man/legend Bruce Willis runnin' around beating things up? C'mon.. show of
hands.

Great. Now, how many of you remember the two guys who were makin' the code? I
don't remember their names, but ya know.. the guys. Those two guys. They
worked in that office, one was there when Simon origionally called the 'Puzzle
Connection' or whatever.. Those guys. Remember them? Great.

Now.. is it just me, or did one of those guys look like Mr. Ben Folds? I
thought it WAS him, but decided i would have heard about it for a good 14
years straight on the digest before the movie, so it couldn't be. Stuck around
for the credits, and sure enough.. it wasn't him. Don't remember the guy's
name, but "Ben Folds" was not part of it. Anyway.. just thought i'd share my
delusionary delusions. Take care.

 -jason.
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/knulprek/home.html">The Happy Scrappy Page
</A>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 13:09:44 +0100 (British Summer Time)
From: Caroline Cookson <Caroline@wocc.jr2.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: BFF in the UK?!?

> Is the NME page right in saying that the five will be playing
> the
>
> Forum on June 29th????????????????

 Forum?? Which forum? where?? please give me details.. I'm desperate to
know if they're playing here!! And also, does anyone know if you can buy
single day tickets for Glastonbury or do you have to buy the whole one,
like you did last year? 'Cos otherwise i won't be able to go 'cos it costs
too much!

carribabes:-][-:

:):):):)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:57:37 PST
From: "Luke Meyers" <l_meyers@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dates

<< our boys have been confirmed to play at the Glastonbury Festival here
in
 the UK.   >>
When is that??
- - -Lauren<<

It'll be on June 26-28. Tickets went on sale March 30, and they cost
around 80 pounds (about $130).

Luke

"I saw on this nature show how the male elk douses himself with urine to
smell sweeter to the opposite sex. What a coincidence!"

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 10:51:29 EST
From: WAVMaker2 <WAVMaker2@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #924

I just got the tickets for BFF/DMB/Beck at Giants stadium a few minutes
ago!!!! OH YEAH!!!!!! Upper Tier but still decent!!! I can't wait!!! Jen, your
sister saved us!!!! BFF RULES!!!

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:54:36 -0500
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: embarrassing mistake & Song for the Dumped video news

> PS, I sure hope that you folks who don't know me think that I'm a
> dickhead. Oh well, nothing I can change......

Oh, damn it, what an embarassing mistake. I meant "I sure hope that you
folks who don't know me DON'T think that I'm a dickhead." What an awkward
situation, eh? Sorry. Boy, is my face red....

BTW, It's confirmed that Mr. John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants &
Mono Puff (they've got a new album on the way April 21st, so do your
civic duty & buy it!) fame is directing the Song For The Dumped video!
WOO-HOO!!!

Still kisses with saliva
Steve!

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 12:24:16 -0600
From: quinnt@scc.net
Subject: Re: Angry at One Angry Steve

Some of you may recall that I had a post in issue 922 replying to the One Angry Steve post in issue 918.  My post was strictly a joke, one which I didn't think needed any explanation.  But Steve would like me to clarify that it was, in fact, a joke.  So hey gang, it most certainly was.  On the surface I was arguing with his post, but actually I was offering up a great big "I second that!"  Now why would anyone write anything so contrary to what they really mean?

Answer:  Sarcasm!  I just discovered it - it's SO cool.

El L.

                  So you wah, Ned.  T-take a break.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:32:39 -0500
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: best songs

okay I agree that stephen is obviously musically the best song they
have. maybe I say that cus I'm a fan of jazz... lyrically, well I think
evaporated gets left out often because it's the last song on WAEA,
pretty powerful when ya think about it. julliane's got a certain adam
sandler quality to it. hah, I'm expecting about a million "I HATE YOU"
posts for this one, but ummm brick's got some good lyrics too. no matter
how many celine dion listeners like it. blah I can't decide. go with
evaporated.

okay
musically - stephen
lyrically   - evaporated

sean

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 15:47:27 EST
From: Beatles970 <Beatles970@aol.com>

Being this is my first time posting, I'm not sure what to say. Anyway, I just
scored some awesome tickets at the Giants Stadium show June 7th. Although,
standing outside in the rain in 40 degree weather with a 0 degree wind chill
factor at 8 AM all by myself, I wasn't thrilled with the idea that I had to
pay $40.75 a ticket...But, there are certain sacrifices we all must make for
the things we love...I was curious, however, if anyone else on this list got
tickets to the same show and would E-mail me privately...I don't want to take
up anymore space so I'll end this now...Thanks...

~Brooke
"When it gets dark I tow your heart away..." Beatles

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 00:06:45 +0200
From: Guillaume <dakoolguy@hol.fr>
Subject: BFF POLL : answer it !!!

Hi all fivers!
I mail you now because I created a "Poll" section on my web-site.
That's why i beg you to go there and fill the form and just answer a few
questions about BFF. I think we could have great surprises when we see
the results.
Check it at:   http://www.mygale.org/10/drpyser   in the "BFF poll"
section.
I'll publish the results in very soon, so, stay tuned for more in very
soon !
Bye and thank you in advance,
    Guillaume, the french BFF fan ; )

- --
     Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (français & english):

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 17:43:58 EST
From: SyN3RG3 <SyN3RG3@aol.com>
Subject: trades

hey people, i just dropped 40 dollars (too much if you ask me) on a two cd set
of ben folds five, a bootleg cd, on the cover it says "ben fold five" and
there are lots of.. typos. i guess. anyway, these were recorded in tokyo,
japan on 5-20-97 and 5-21.. i don't know if these dates are hard to come by or
what, but i'm interested in trading copies for other bootlegs, imports..
whatever. here is the general playlist (the setlists are mostly alike for both
nights):
best imitation of myself, one angry dwarf, kate, selfless, emaline (listed on
cd as "Unknown song"), philosophy, brick, SLNIT, smoke, for all the pretty
people, jackson cannery (jacson connery on here), fair, sports and wine, dr.
pyser, BOWCCL, kane-kaese (japanese SFTD), mitchell lane (with september 67),
julianne, and underground.. soundboard quality, although sometimes it gets a
little spotty. he talks about kate sometimes and darren does a lot of drum
stuff.. its pretty good. e-mail me privately if you are interested. By the
way, what happened to the guy who was making the compilation of all their tv
appearances??? i want a copy!!
Thanks,
Celine