Issue #929 - April 6, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Monday, April 6 1998     Volume 01 : Number 929

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    just a resonse to st.louis
    nbp & fannie packs
    Re: MTV APPEARANCE!  SET YOUR VCR
    two points of marginal interest (might as well read 'em)
    Spam
    I HAVE THE BEN FOLDS FIVE Y100 SONIC SESSION
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #921
    Uncle Walter
    the blue mongoose flies at midnight
    State of The Chair
    DMB/Beck/BFF Giants Stadium
    the sellout thing
    WELL I WAS JUST THINKIN AGAIN

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 01:16:21 +0000
From: Kristi <n.bennett@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: just a resonse to st.louis

> i saw BFF on valentine's day (aww how sweet) in
>st. louis and i just have to say it was the best damn concert i've ever seen

hey...i was there too, and i have to agree with you.....well kinda...it
wasn't the best...but i have to say that they are one awsome live
band.....they all have so much energy....expecically ben...jumping all over
the place..and walking across the piano everytime he need to go across
stage.....well i really had no point to this post...i was just making a
comment.....so  ya..
"this could be your lucky day in hell"  ~the EELS~
later
Kristi

oh and to all of you that i am trading with...im sorry its taking so
long....ive been more than busy..but i promise...they are commin!! so don't
be mad! =)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 22:53:34 -0500
From: bf5 <bf5@SURRY.NET>
Subject: nbp & fannie packs

The lead rapper is Darren...Robert is in the background doing the "new york
city" thing in a low voice and "cec".  Ben does the nerdy voice and "shit
yeah it's cool".

\ \/ /
~\/\/hitney  =o)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 23:34:42 EST
From: Debra1495 <Debra1495@aol.com>
Subject: Re: MTV APPEARANCE!  SET YOUR VCR

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but BFF will be on MTV Monday, 4/6
at 8:00 pm.  It is the premier of a new show they have called "Artists Cut".
Check your local listings and set those VCRs!

Doing the best imitation of myself...

Deb

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 21:47:15 PST
From: "* Pea *" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: two points of marginal interest (might as well read 'em)

Points of marginal interest:

1) Molly Meldrum, that wizard of Oz music (yeah right) mentioned the
wonder-boy trio on 'Hey Hey It's Saturday' (Aussie tv) last night (4
April). 'Brick' was part of his 'hit picks' apparently; all I can say is
why'd it take him so damn long? He said that the song was
"controversial" and that "some stations are having problems deciding
whether or not to play it". Since when? It seems most people don't have
a clue what it's about until they ask Ben in an interview anyway, so
it's fairly unlikely that any radio station would receive caller
complaints about it or anything! (NB: typical cynical comment from Red
Symons who for some reason still thinks he's a star: "Yeah, I can see
why that song's controversial - he's singing right out of his range."
What was it again, Red? Jukebox in Siberia?)

2) Andy Wallace, the guy who did such a damn good job of mixing WEAEA
was also the mixer for Sonic Youth's album 'Dirty'! Amazing what you can
find out when you read the production credits on the back of a cd, isn't
it? (NB: there's also a song on 'Dirty' called 'Chapel Hill' - any
connection?)

cheers,

Petra

"Seemed like you were frozen there in time, waving your goodbyes up to
the sky," - Ben Folds

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 03:53:41 -0400
From: "Stephen N. McDonald" <stevem@cybertechdesigns.com>
Subject: Spam

I've got a million things to post, but right now I'm getting ready for
vacation and I've not the time.

If there are any Phillyites coming to the Dave Matthews/Beck/Ben Folds Five
show at the Meadowlands on June 7 (SOLD OUT ALREADY!), let me know, we'll
arrange a meetingplace/time.

I just wanted to throw in a shameless plug (I'm sorry!) and let everyone
know that I'm admining an anti-spam humor mailing list...it's funny, if
you'd like a sample before subscribing just email me and ask...I'll be on
vacation until next Sunday but I'll reply asap.

Thanks, all.

¿Steve?

===
Stephen N. McDonald
Administrator of the "Artificial Processed Meat" Anti-Spam (somewhat-daily)
humor mailing list.
"A little food for thought; a meal for your mind."
Subscribe
   {
   Email:    stevem@cybertechdesigns
   Subject: APM subscribe
   }
There are two major products to come out of Berkeley:  LSD and UNIX.
I don't believe this to be a coincidence.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 09:10:53 EDT
From: SASH37 <SASH37@aol.com>
Subject: I HAVE THE BEN FOLDS FIVE Y100 SONIC SESSION

I am looking to trade the Y100 BF5 sonic session...i am looking for a
collection of their videos......esspecialy dwarf, uncle walter and
underground.
email me at SASH37@aol.com soon as possible!!!

tommy
members.aol.com/SASH37/pin.html
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/SASH37/pic.html">Page From The Flip §ide®</A>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:32:06 -0400
From: Jason <jasonp@bhip.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #921

> IT WAS JUST RELEASED!!
>
> INTRODUCING...MILLIONS VOL. 1A
>
> We took a total of over 92 million email addresses from many of the
> touted CD's that are out there (bought them all - some were $300+)!
> We added the millions we had in storage to those.   When we
> combined them all, we had in excess of 100+ million addresses
> in one huge file.
>
> The result is the Cleanest Email Addresses Available Anywhere
> to use over and over again, for a FRACTION of the cost that other
> companies charge. Typical rates for acquiring email lists are from
> 1 cent to as high as 3 cents per email address - that's
> "INFORMATION HIGHWAY" ROBBERY!.

What is this shit? Does this person really think anyone reading this list would buy a CD of 10 million email addresses?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:52:14 -0400
From: Jason <jasonp@bhip.infi.net>
Subject: Uncle Walter

You know that Nissan Truck commercial where the dog pushes the guy in the chair
down the road. Well they [nissan] stole that idea from the Uncle Walter video.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 10:45:13 -0500
From: chdevers@juno.com (kent brockman)
Subject: the blue mongoose flies at midnight

***** celebrity lookalike contest *****
>[....] Mercury Rising, staring the man/legend Bruce Willis [....]
>the two guys who were makin' the code? [....] ya know.. the guys.
>Those two guys. They worked in that office, one was there when
>Simon origionally called the 'Puzzle Connection' or whatever..
>Those guys. Remember them? Great.
>
>Now.. is it just me, or did one of those guys look like Mr. Ben Folds?
>I thought it WAS him, but [....] it couldn't be. Stuck around for the
>credits, and sure enough.. it wasn't him. Don't remember the guy's
>name, but "Ben Folds" was not part of it. Anyway.. just thought i'd
>share my delusionary delusions. Take care.

or how about "that thing you do", the tom hanks movie with all those
young actors i don't know the name of and liv tyler? [what a great movie,
but i digress...]. one of the guys in the band looks a helluva lot like
ben to me -- the bass player, who ends up proving he can do 100 pushups
(or whatever obscene number) for some stray army guys he meets and is in
turn more or less kidnapped by these same soldiers. it's a great comic
role, and the fact that the character is a musician in a rock band just
made it that much easier for me to speculate that it's m'sieu folds.
turned out not to be though. oh well. still a good movie...

***** editor, editor! *****
>> PS, I sure hope that you folks who don't know me think
>> that I'm a dickhead. Oh well, nothing I can change......
>
>Oh, damn it, what an embarassing mistake. I meant "I sure hope that
>you folks who don't know me DON'T think that I'm a dickhead." What
>an awkward situation, eh? Sorry. Boy, is my face red....

i thought the original was funnier...
as in "fuck you and what you think"
as in "i'm not a dickhead but go ahead and think what you wanna think".
very shrewd.
too bad it was a typo...

- --chris

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"I'm going to appeal to Microsoft to give me a label."
- -- Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, on how he has
   decided to make money on the alt-rock scene.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 09:26:28 PDT
From: "Jeff Jackson" <j940651@hotmail.com>
Subject: State of The Chair

What's with the mess the Chair has become?
1. If I wanted the FAQ Iid get it. Thanks, but you just clutter shit up.
2. Why reprint what we've already said? Keep the conversation moving.
Damn. Makes one wonder if it's worth it to subscribe.
K.eep
I.t
S.imple
S.tupid.
Thanks,
JJ (Int'l Fiver)

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:41:43 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #927

hello fellow fivers,
I was really excited when i saw that BFF was coming here to sweet home
Chicago
(actually Tinley Park) and I noticed that others were too.  I would
really
like to get a group together to meet before Our Boys come on and then we
can
all watch the show.  Also we can scream and sing together while the
other Q101
teeny boppers look at us like we are nuts.  If this sounds like a good
time
please email me and Ill give ya the info that I have.  Thanks and sorry
for
taking up Armchair space.
~Laura~

a big ass mother GI Joe...
___________________________________

I believe that it's a BAD-ass mother GI Joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 14:00:29 EDT
From: HAM12HAM <HAM12HAM@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #928

thats y u r on the armchair an do u honestly think anyone cares about ur
tickets..please stop wasting space..and just to make ken jealous.i got my tix
in the 19 th row on the floor..so..hahahahahaha

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 14:39:53 EDT
From: FM3 Red5 <FM3Red5@aol.com>
Subject: DMB/Beck/BFF Giants Stadium

Hello everyone...

	I got my tics for the show...lower tier...section 112...not too bad...i'm
hoping to get some recording devices for this show...that would be
awesome...me and my friends were complaining on how we're in section
112...sometimes we get so spoiled that we don't appreciate just being at a
concert...seems we always need the front row or something...i dunno...well
hope everyone who wanted tics got'em cuz they're all gone!!!

Frank

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 19:11:35 EDT
From: LC54992 <LC54992@aol.com>
Subject: the sellout thing

on this whole sellout subject...it seems to happen to every band.  and if
you're pissed that people who like hanson, or other bands like them, like Ben
Folds Five as well,  don't be.  be happy that the person might start to like
good music like BF5.  and if you don't like brick don't listen.  and if you'd
stop liking BF5 bcuz they're getting popular, get over it bcuz you must not
like them that much...i don't know i like BF5 cuz they rock..i'm stopping now
cuz i'm just babbling...later all
                       robin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 19:58:56 EDT
From: Curt587621 <Curt587621@aol.com>
Subject: WELL I WAS JUST THINKIN AGAIN

well, as everyone knows, bff will be opeining for beck early this
summer...anyways...besides the dates that the official web has announced...i
found out through ticketmaster online that the boys will open up for beck
after they do their thing with dmb....they will (most likely) be opening for
beck on the following dates:

Tue, June 9 Buffalo, NY Darien Lakes
DEFINITELY-----Wed, June 10 Pittsburgh, PA Starlake Amphitheater
Thu, June 11 Philadelphia, PA E-Center Amphitheater

anyway...i was thinking...beck is playing the tibetan freedom concert...isn't
there a great possiblity that bff will also play this great event....why
wouldn't they?

curt

in the 10 disc car changer----bff-bff, bff-waea, pearl jam- yield, blink
182-dude ranch, supergrass- in it for the money, dmb- recently, cmj new music-
this month, cornershop-born for the 7th time, mtv- 120 min live, cmj new
music-last month