Issue #933 - April 9, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Thursday, April 9 1998    Volume 01 : Number 933

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Singles
    Mitchell Lane
    Still wanting a poster
    BFF & Burt & Elvis & Austin
    SPIN Top 40
    Misunderstood lyrics (again)
    Sessions at West 54th
    Teletubbies... oh, and BFF
    just replies
    oops

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:58:32 EDT
From: JARAMINI <JARAMINI@aol.com>
Subject: Singles

I took a little trip to Ontario and was expecting it to suck, but it was
great, I found 4 BFF singles. Here in NY I can't find any, but I found 4. I
got:

Kate (Blue): with Bad Idea and For All The Pretty People
Underground (part 2 of a 2 CD set): with Jackson Cannery Live and Underground
Live (NBP version)
BOWCCL: with Champagne Supernova and Dr. Pyser (also it has BOWCCL listed as
the "clean version", minus the f-word of course)
Brick: with Smoke Live, Kate (Ska), and Mitchell Lane

The reason I was so detailed in descriptions is that I want to know which ones
I still need. I know the boys have a tendency to make more than one variation
of a single and there are other singles that I don't have any of. If someone
would be so kind to tell me what ones I'm missing I'd be appreciative

Thanks,

John
JARAMINI@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:46:52 +0000
From: "Chris Marsh" <winkie@easynet.co.uk>
Subject: Mitchell Lane

Ryan said:
> So Brick is out in the UK now then.  Anyone actually bought it yet?  If so
> what are the B-sides, I am hoping for Mitchell Lane.

Mitchell Lane has already been a B-side.  It was on the Kate single
with All Shook Up.

chris
___

"There are no rules here, only piles of mistakes
 That we swear we'll learn from, then we just go ahead and make"
Dog's Eye View "What I Know Now"

winkie@easynet.co.uk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 14:28:55 EDT
From: SimonDASME <SimonDASME@aol.com>
Subject: Still wanting a poster

Well, I am stilling looking for any BFF posters.  Specifically the ones from
there latest tour, but if you have any that would be great.  I am willing to
trade, pay, or just take.....So, Tell me what you have and want and I will be
glad to grant your wish.

- -Simon

"Who's got the looks, Who's got the brain's, Who's got everything?"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:41:14 -0400
From: Brendan Noone <bnoone@junosystems.com>
Subject: BFF & Burt & Elvis & Austin

Hey Fellow Benhead,

Answer to the Burt Tribute:

The show is being filmed in NYC at the Hammerstein Ballroom tonight.  Ben &
the Boys played there about 2 months ago.  From what I heard they are going
to do "Rain drops keep falling on head."   It will be on TNT on TAXday,
April 15th.  Rumor has it, the main reason why BFF will be there is so they
can meet one of there musical heros Elvis Costello.  Elvis and Burt have
become friends and have been writing on and off for the past year together.
 Even though I am a serious Benhead, I would say the Highlight of the night
will be when that international man of mystery Austin Powers (aka Mike
Myers) steps on and sing to Burt.  Yeah Baby!!!

Later

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:47:12 EDT
From: KJeon4003 <KJeon4003@aol.com>
Subject: SPIN Top 40

hello armchairites,

i just got a thing in the mail that said that Ben Folds Five is #40 on SPIN
magazines Top 40 for 1998.  They said it will be a "photographic portfolio of
the most vital artists in music today" and will hit the newsstands April 15th.
For those of you that want to know, here's the rest of the list:

1.  Beck                                  21. Bob Dylan

2.  Radiohead                          22. Rancid

3.  Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott 23. Bjork

4.  Nine Inch Nails                    24. Rage Against the Machine

5.  Puff Daddy                          25. Lil' Kim

6.  Hole                                   26. DJ Shadow

7.  Prodigy                               27. Sleater-Kinney

8.  The Fugees                         28. Erykah Badu

9.  Ani DiFranco                       29. Elliott Smith

10. Marilyn Manson                  30. Roni Size

11. Pearl Jam                           31. Belle and Sebastian

12. Cornershop                         32. Alec Empire

13. Beastie Boys                      33. Pulp

14. PJ Harvey                           34. Garbage

15. The Chemical Brothers         35. Busta Rhymes

16. Wu-Tang Clan                     36. The Verve

17. Tori Amos                           37. Phish

18. Smashing Pumpkins            38. Air

19. Tricky                                 39. Korn

20. Fiona Apple                        40. Ben Folds Five

Sorry i took up so much space but i figure this is a lot more interesting than
hearing the same stuff over and over again.

sandra

http://members.aol.com/KJeon4003/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 21:50:56 +0200
From: Guillaume <dakoolguy@hol.fr>
Subject: Misunderstood lyrics (again)

Hi fellow Fivers!!
Just a little mail because there's something I've been thinking about
several times: on NBP, there's a lyric I can't understand. It's in
"Philosophy", they usually say "and i trust it like the ground" but it
seems to me that it's not what they're saying in the 1st chorus... Maybe
I am wrong... Someone can help me ?
Another thing: I'd like to really thank all those of you who already
answered the poll on my website. But I need more answers to obtain
decent results, so, dont hesitate to go on the site, it only takes 30
seconds to fill the form : )

Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (français & english):
http://www.mygale.org/10/drpyser

Bye bye and thanx in advance, c ya for the results of the poll,
    Guillaume, the french BFF fan ; )

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 13:22:36 -0700
From: "Paul Nienow" <pnienow@email.msn.com>
Subject: Sessions at West 54th

According to the www.sessionsatwest54th.com they are going to replay the
BFF/Beck show on May 9th.  This was a great show and is responsible for
getting me hooked on BFF.

If your going to the Paladium show, set your VCR's.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:45:49
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: Teletubbies... oh, and BFF

Alright,

HAHHAHAAAHHAAA!! you yanks (sorry, I mean, residents of the USA) finally
get the Teletubbies.... oh well, we get BFF, fair exchange I suppose... let
me just assure everyone that NO-ONE in Britain is anything like The Funny
Lady... ohhhh what you've got to look forward to: outcry over the
Teletubbies' lack of educational value, Tinkywinky becoming an icon for
transvestites (he has a red handbag) ... ooops, rambling...! sorry, anyway...

>my daytime-tv-watching-student son alerted me to the fact that bff
>were on tv this morning. introduced as "one of america's favourite
>bands at the moment" they did Brick  over the closing credits of
>this morning (of all programmes...)

THIS MORNING.... nooooo.... can't really picture them alongside features on
"this season's flower arranging" or something. Eugh. Bitter that i missed
it though,.... like i missed them on Jules H... and Kenickie on Light
lunch...

ANYway, I found a cartoon in the NME and thought of the armchair:
"<name of band> eventually "crossed over" which is hip underground techno
scratty talk for "became quite successful". They were so alternative yet
not alternative at all... "SELL OUT" cried the kids on the street.. they
had put <band> where they are now but didn't like the look of it. <band>
didn't know whether to be happy or sad.... What should they do? Sell more
records and become more popular or sell less records and become less
popular with most people but more popular with the other people they used
to be popular with before the next lot of people came along - this dilemma
is faced everyday in a world of capitalists who care not a jot for art...."
etc.

oh, something I'm having trouble with:

> My post was strictly a joke, one which I didn't think needed any
explanation. > But Steve would like me to clarify that it was, in fact, a
joke.  So hey gang, it >most certainly was.  On the surface I was arguing
with his post, but actually I >was offering up a great big "I second that!"
 Now why would anyone write >anything so contrary to what they really mean?

>Answer:  Sarcasm!  I just discovered it - it's SO cool.
>
>El L.

ermm.... the "americans don't understand sarcasm" mentality was fairly
popular over here, and although a lot of armchairianianites have proved us
wrong, there ARE one or two who make me wonder..

Anyway, sorry for the long post, i've been away, and i'm buying Brick
tomorrow, ads in NME for BFF @ THE FORUM MON 29TH JUNE £12.50
and brick> CD1: Smoke (live) and SFTD (jap. version), CD2: Missing the war
(live) and "she don't use jelly"... i'm probably getting CD2. In case you
care.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:09:40 EDT
From: Vwbugn5890 <Vwbugn5890@aol.com>
Subject: just replies

ok i think it was on this list that i saw someone write something about "kate"
being ska....? in order for it to be ska, doesn't there have to be some sort
of horns in the song....  and i don't think ethan embry looks like ben
(atleast he didn't in empire records if i'm thinking of the right
person...mark, right?) also does anyone know where i can get some other BFF
cds/singles or whatever besides self titled, waea, and nbp in st. louis? i
can't seem to find any...please help!
shannon

*my my, the cruelest lies are often told, without a word....my, my the kindest
truths are often spoken, never heard...*

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 23:07:56
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: oops

Oops, the teletubbies post was from me, @nn@.
System cocked.

@nn@

:::: "everyone knows what to do when a little accident's due. Cut it up and
you'll be fine. Get back to the cheap red wine." :::: ~ silversun