Issue #934 - April 10, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Friday, April 10 1998     Volume 01 : Number 934

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Darren's B-Day
    ben's new pick (the Jukebox Gigolos)
    Re: Armchair/Roundhouse
    Kate and Ska
    Ben's sighs, Darren's Birthday, and BFF posters...
    Skankin Kate :)
    orbit room show in MI
    Trading
    darren interview/sftd single in hmv
    BFF In London - nice.
    The Burt Bacharach gig
    Bacharach Tribute
    Yankee Doodle
    Beale St
    NPR's "Fresh Air"
    DOMO CHAN
    Ello..
    SPAC Concert.
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #933
    Re:  Lookalikes - Well, I didn't start it!

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 20:28:13 -0500
From: Nikki <discordia5@earthlink.net>
Subject: Darren's B-Day

I didn't have time to write this yesterday so it's gonna be a day late coming out
in the armchair, but,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARREN!!!

You Rock My World!!!

Nikki

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:13:19 -0500
From: jeanius@juno.com (yo yo)
Subject: ben's new pick (the Jukebox Gigolos)

I heard through the grapevine that Ben is really into this new band the
jukebox gigolos that he thinks will be the next "big thing".

if you want to check their website, i think it is
WWW.SONICTONIC.COM/JUKEBOX.HTM

they are pretty good, and i have always thought ben had good taste

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:31:55 EDT
From: LC54992 <LC54992@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Armchair/Roundhouse

 to amanda...about the armchair/roundhouse thing..funny you should mention
that bcuz i was just thinking about that similarity just the other
day...honestly!  ok that's all!
                  robin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:39:48 EDT
From: Huskertwo <Huskertwo@aol.com>
Subject: Kate and Ska

Ok, i'm a pretty big ska fan, and I think I know ska when I hear it,
keyboards, guitar on the up beat, walking bassline etc, etc.  And "Kate" on
the "Brick" single has none of these.  So can someone brighter than myself
please explain it to the rest of us?  I was really dissapointed by it not
being ska, but the strings were cool anyway.  "Kate" would have to be the best
BFF song to be played in a ska manner though.  And one more question while i'm
here, what's the deal with Ben's new project?  Supposedly the albulm is coming
out soon, instrumental or something?
- -Josh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:50:25 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: Ben's sighs, Darren's Birthday, and BFF posters...

<< Has anyone noticed how Ben sings with Exprssion!!!  >>
   Yes!  And I also love how you can hear him sigh and/or breath in a lot of
songs, ie everyone's favorite, Brick ;)  To me, It makes the songs sound so
much more personal.  Oh Ben <sigh> :)
< <Happy Birthday Darren!>>
   Darren is an Aries?? Hmmmm he seems so withdrawn.  He must have a water
sign as his rising or something. :)  *
<<Well, I am still looking for any BFF posters>>
  Alrighty, I probably shouldn't be giving away this secret but here it goes.
For any of you who live in the Bay Area, that's in Cali, I'll have you know, I
found a BFF Fillmore  poster, from when they were there last November, at
Ameba Records in Berkeley.  I think I got the last one.  I already have a few
Bff posters, so I might, and that's a might, be willing to trade. I also got a
Blur one. Rasputin Records, also in Berkeley, has some WAEA promotional
posters on their wall too and I've been haggling for them, but the jerks still
insist that they're "not for sale".  One more thing, why do these indie-record
stores have names that are so hard to spell? I'm an awful speller so please,
no posts about my spelling, I know I suck. :)
- -Lauren
* this comment was for all you astrology buffs out there...and if there aren't
any...uh...yeah. :)
"Homer?  Who is Homer? My name is Guy Incognito."- Homer Simpson look-a-like

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:56:22 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: Skankin Kate :)

<< ok i think it was on this list that i saw someone write something about
"kate"
 being ska....? in order for it to be ska, doesn't there have to be some sort
 of horns in the song.... >>
I'll make this quick since I've already "had my turn" posting on the list
today.  Shannon, on the BFF Australain "Brick" single, there is a "ska"
version of "Kate".  At least that's what it's called and I'd have to agree
with the person who originally brought up the subject, that it doesn't sound
very "ska" to me either.  But hey, they're calling everything "ska" these
days, so what the hell. :)
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:54:26 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com
Subject: orbit room show in MI

i saw on ticketmaster online that the orbit room show in michigan is
17+!!!  is this true......????  i will truly be pissed if it is....  i
had a whole trip planned and everyhting.  anyone that knows of this or
can confirm whether or not it is (or is not) 17+ would be just
peachy......

- -philip

''here i sit, broken-hearted...''

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 00:07:02 EDT
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: Trading

Okay well here's the deal...I'm posting this to those who may wish to hear
about it.  I made a trade with the person and it took me a while to get his
tapes back to him, because I was bogged down with more important things (i
sent him mail telling him this).  Well when I sent out his tapes I didn't send
cases, and sent one of the tapes on a Maxell URL90 instead of an XL2, well he
sent me an e-mail telling me he was VERY upset and to send him a blank XL2 to
make up the difference.  I told him I would do this when I could afford to get
more tapes and mail it.  Well today I received nothing less than a threat to
send him a new tape by no less than Wednesday.  He also complained that my
tape wasn't good enough for him.  Well I've had pleanty of people tell me it
is an awesome tape, and I love it too.  I'm debating wether to ignore him or
just to send the tape and get it all over with...what should I do...He's being
very rude about it and won't listen to anything...I won't say his name, but
I'm sure he will have a post about me, so if this makes anyone want to stop
trading with me than fine...all I want to say is I've been trading for a
while, and built my list up to well plast a hundred tapes...if you don't want
to trade with me anymore than fine, but I would say it's not really fair to
end all of my trades just because of one mess up.  If anyone wants to respond
to me about this do so.  All I have to say is I'm a devoted BFF fan, and a
devoted trader.  I can find other places if the armchair wants to turn their
back on me.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 21:14:03 -0700
From: "Julie 'bf5fan' Hurst" <sledgie@mailcity.com>
Subject: darren interview/sftd single in hmv

SO no news on the darren interview yet, but I'm waiting and waiting and will tell
you the moment i hear. If you can pick up Power Fm in melbourne it's 103.1 fm. Kel
can, she don't live in Ballarat. HI KEL!!
That guy said about the SFTD single I went to HMV in January and I found two in there,
so I got one i didn't hesistate NO WAY would I.
And I have the uncle walter single. Here where I am that was the first cd you could
get. They never got Underground, Where's Summer b.? Then they finally got the album,
damn slack things.
Oh and my friend scott is buying the Brick single. His fave band is Aqua......

Anyways, I'm on holidays So i'll be here anytime. Don't forget plz email me at julianne@ronscomputers.com.au

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

P.S- If I get to talk to Darren, what should I say/ask?? Damn I'd be nervous as hell........

"We used to act like 'This is gonna be a big deal' and then we play and it's like
"THIS IS A BIG DEAL" then everyones 'Oh my god, that's great'" Robert Sledge

Get your FREE, private e-mail
account at http://www.mailcity.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:38:06 +0000
From: "Luke Wilson"<Luke_Wilson@fwuk.fwc.com>
Subject: BFF In London - nice.

To anyone else whose going to Kentish Town on the 29th June - if your from
Woking/Guildford way, hey, why not join our group on the train to Waterloo.
(Currently 13). Come on.... you know you want to

Ta

Luke

- -------------

"6am...." :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:10:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: The Burt Bacharach gig

Hi all

The Burt Bacharach show was pure showbiz. With a rare exception it was an
assembly line format of performers(Step up - sing your song - Next!) But
the performance quality was uniformly high. I had assumed that the
performers would be the stars of the show but it was made clear from the
outset that the focus remained on Bacharach. I didn't even realise that he
would be performing at all. But he was on stage for the whole show.  The
stage was filled with a large orchestra and stage band. Breaks between
performers were peppered with boring, long winded stories. Who cares about
horse racing!

The performances:
Sheryl Crow(she looked sooooo hot!) did "One Less Bell to Answer"
All Saints(imagine the Spice Girls on crack)"I'll Never Fall in Love Again"
Elvis Costello: Two songs, the one he wrote with Burt from the "Grace of My
Heart" soundtrack and a new one from an upcoming collaborative album.
Chrissy Hynde(also looked good): a medley of "Baby, it's You" and "A
Message to Michael"
Mike Myers: "What's New, Pussycat?"(complete with dancers in cat costumes
and a surprise wardrobe change). Someone threw a pair of red panties at
him!
George Duke and David Sanborn: "Wives and Lovers"
Ben Folds Five: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head". All three guys in
suits and ties! Robert and Darren looking like guys from Reservoir Dogs.
Ben in a rust corduroy suit with black shirt and dark tie. Ben blew the
lyrics. Trumpet solo at the end done by Robert on fuzz bass. Definitely the
highest energy performance of the night. Ben finishes with a keyboard slam
but no piano stool toss. Robert confesses his passion for Ferrante and
Teischer!
And then they were gone.
Barenaked Ladies: "Close To You"
Wynonna: "Anyone Who Ever Had A Heart"
Luther Vandross: "What The World Needs Now"
And as the headliner, Dionne Warwick came out and did four songs, "Do You
Know the Way to San Jose?" among others. Unfortunatley, she didn't do any
psychic readings.
Noticed that the promoted performance by Noel Gallagher din't come off as
he was a no-show. What an asshole.
During the curtain call, noticed that Ben was cosying up to the blonde from
All Saints. Hmmmm....start the rumor mill, please!

CV

P.S. Happy Birthday, Jenna Jameson!

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Tue-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EST. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 11:09:19 -0700
From: EtKreitzer@vassar.edu (Ethan Jon Kreitzer)
Subject: Bacharach Tribute

Although I'm sure someone posted it already, but last night's performance
by BFF at the Bacharach tribute was incredible. They played a pretty
straight-ahead rendition of "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" (in F#
major) with the orchestra playing very quietly behind them. At the end of
the song they launched into about of a minute hoe they might play it in a
show, with a loud bass solo and wild piano. After Elvis Costello it was the
highlight of the show. When they telecast it on TNT they will probably edit
out the post performance dialogue but it included Bacharach asking if they
knew of a piano duo from the 1950's named "Frente and Tihzer(sp?)" and
Sledge said, as only he could, "I LOVE Frente and Tihzer" in a very
sarcastic tone not picked up by much of the crowd. Do not miss this on TNT
next week. Ethan

- ---------
singing the leaving of liverpool

and turning into americans
so what if it's a man's world
i want to be a kid again--

                                 declan macmanus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 11:06:43 -0400
From: Brendan Noone <bnoone@junosystems.com>
Subject: Yankee Doodle

Someone wrote:
HAHHAHAAAHHAAA!! you yanks (sorry, I mean, residents of the USA) finally
get the Teletubbies....we get BFF even trade.

I don't think so:
Really what have you Brits given us since the British Invasion oh some 30
years ago.
Lets look back in not particular order:
- -The Spice Sluts
- -AllSaints
- -Tracy Ulman takes on....(on HBO)  She on rivals Sinbad as the least funny
entertainer in history.
- -A recipe book on how to boil everything when you cook.  Just add a dash of
salt.
- -Maxhead Room (Classic, Yeah right)
- -Hugh Grant
- -Rick Astley
- -Culture Club
- -Jane Austin Movies
- -Wham!
- -Bean
- -Joan & Jackie Collins
- -Phil Collins
- -Please add in your least favorite here______________________________.

If it wasn't for Elvis Costello, The Clash, the PUNK scene, Sir Antony
Hopkins and Kubrick you guys would should have been nuked.    I think it is
safe to say the sun has set.  It is definitely cloudy here in NYC anyway.

Signed,
Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:27:26 -0500 (CST)
From: "Ernest P. Worrell" <nmathews@mork.uni.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Beale St

I'm a little out of the loop. Could someone fill me in on the Beale St
Music Festival? Who's playing? When?
				Thanks
				   -Nate

 Cross Country: Finally a practical use for golf courses

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:08:44 -0700
From: "Paul Nienow" <pnienow@email.msn.com>
Subject: NPR's "Fresh Air"

This post may be too late, but I heard last night that Ben Folds is going to
be on National Public Radio's Fresh Air program.  This program is an
interview show and usually lasts about an hour.  Check it out!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:44:05 -0500 (EST)
From: jpinkos@lakers.lssu.edu
Subject: DOMO CHAN

	Please help me out and tell me what DOMO BEN CHAN DESU is?  I've
seen it come up on the list quit often.  Sounds like a bootleg of BF5
stuff.  Yes?  No?  Am I close? Where does it come from, whats on it, who
released it?	Someone please fill me in.
			Thanks-Jared

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:46:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: marc s kaplan <mkap@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Ello..

Been a while so hello everybody.

You wrote:
>ok i think it was on this list that i saw someone write something about
>"kate"
>being ska....? in order for it to be ska, doesn't there have to be some
>sort

I think you misunderstood, there is a b-side with a ska version of kate
that the boys do.

Does ska have more to do with the beat than the horns, Kinda like a real
quick regge beat (even though ska was first

Salutations

			-/\/\arc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:03:23 -0400
From: RusBF5@webtv.net (Rusty Weiss)
Subject: SPAC Concert.

I can't find any information on when tickets go on sale for the June 6th
concert at Saratoga Springs.  Can anybody help?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:00:37 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #933

<< HAHHAHAAAHHAAA!! you yanks (sorry, I mean, residents of the USA) finally
 get the Teletubbies.... oh well, we get BFF, fair exchange I suppose... let
 me just assure everyone that NO-ONE in Britain is anything like The Funny
 Lady... ohhhh what you've got to look forward to: outcry over the
 Teletubbies' lack of educational value, Tinkywinky becoming an icon for
 transvestites (he has a red handbag) ... ooops, rambling...! sorry, anyway...

Oh, and I've watched it! Boy is the Funny Lady strange.  My those paper plates
look fun to play with!  I like the show, it's very peaceful and cute, but it
scares me sometimes.  The baby in the sun is quite frightening....

um...BFF rules!
Lucy

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:43:41 EDT
From: JoanneQ <JoanneQ@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  Lookalikes - Well, I didn't start it!

Maybe it's just me, but I can’t look at Tommy Hilfiger without thinking that's
 Ben in 20 or so years.        - JQ