Issue #936 - April 11, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, April 11 1998    Volume 01 : Number 936

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Rude fans at chicago show.
    ska and disco remix
    Domo Ben Chan Desu
    Ben on fresh air
    missing the war
    ben folds five
    missing the war
    #soulcoughing
    Kate...Ska
    BFF Video Compalation
    Fresh Air on NPR
    Finally Brick No1 on Net 50
    Steven's Last Night in Town in Penn State
    How to get INTERVIEW of Ben Folds on NPR
    another nbp review
    AADULTGAMES
    New MP3s

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:03:34 -0500
From: "Keith Fehn" <kjfehn@iquest.net>
Subject: Rude fans at chicago show.

><< Keith
>
>P.S.:  All you rude asses that pushed and shoved and wouldn't get out mine
>or my lovely wife's way at the Chicago show can just stay home.
> >>

>I don't think this was a very nice statement...I was at that show, but I
>didn't do that...I'm sure you were pushiung to get towards the stage too.
>
>Ryan

Well, no, we were not pushing at all (you shouldn't make assumptions, but I
will forgive you).  In fact were right behind the first railing (right next
to the sound board), not on the main floor.  We didn't push someone else out
of the way to get this spot either.  After Robbie
I-can't-remember-his-last-name finished, that's when the onslaught started.
Lots of pushing and shoving, etc.  But what I felt was even worse was that I
had to go to the bathroom and when I came back NO ONE would move so I could
get back to my spot.  I was asking nicely at first but people would just
stand there and stare at me or ignore me.  I know they could hear me becuase
I was eventually yelling and BFF had not started playing yet (just PA
music).  I finally had to push my way through one person, only to reach the
next one a foot away and start the process all over again (first asking
nicely, then raised voice, then then yelling, then just pushing people out
of my way).  Doing this about 20 times can get rather frustrating.  After I
got back to my spot, the pushing and shoving continued where we were
standing.  I would understand this kind of behavior I we were near the
stage.  But we were no where near it.  We ended going up to the balcony
during Brick and got some excellent seats up there.  Oh well, anyway, maybe
I could just blame it on all the new fans, that seems like the popular thing
to do.

Sorry for the long winded bitching,
Keith

<insert favorite Ben Folds Five lyric here>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:01:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert Stevie Berryman Jr." <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: ska and disco remix

on the japanese version of "Brick" there is a "disco" remix of fair, and a
"ska" remix o of kate.  those titles are meant to be jokes.  its like a
spoof of artists that have singles out with 6 versions of the same song,
like a dance mix, hip hop mix, ect.  so its meant to be a joke.

- --
R. Stevie Berryman
gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:27:00 EDT
From: Debra1495 <Debra1495@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #931

In a message dated 4/7/98 9:02:29 PM EST, owner-armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl
writes:

<< Ben Folds 5, along with a slew of others, will be on this TNT
 show honoring Burt Bacharach. Anybody know details?
 					-Nate

Yup, it taped 4/8, and will air on 4/15 at 7:00 on TNT.  Check out Frank's
page for more details!

Debs

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:31:37 EDT
From: Debra1495 <Debra1495@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #933

In a message dated 4/8/98 9:34:17 PM EST, owner-armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl
writes:

<<
 Hi fellow Fivers!!
 Just a little mail because there's something I've been thinking about
 several times: on NBP, there's a lyric I can't understand. It's in
 "Philosophy", they usually say "and i trust it like the ground" but it
 seems to me that it's not what they're saying in the 1st chorus... Maybe
 I am wrong... Someone can help me ?

He say's "I trust it like my strap"  Hence the reference to his penis in the
liner notes!

Deb

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 21:37:12 -0400
From: Adam Tyner <ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: Domo Ben Chan Desu

I haven't personally heard Domo Ben Chan Desu, but if you're interested,
UDMO, which is probably the most reliable on-line bootleg dealer, has it in
their catalog.  You can contact them at dogbone@voicenet.com...if I
remember correctly, it's $45, and it's on 2 CDs.

I ordered "Live From The Underground" for $25 from them, but I'm still
waiting to get e-mail confirmation from them...I'll let you know how it
turns out.

- -Adam
/----=========================================================----\
             http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/
The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more!
   Demented music list admin           O-         MiSTie #67,326

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:14:40 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: Ben on fresh air

<< This post may be too late, but I heard last night that Ben Folds is going
 be on National Public Radio's Fresh Air program.  This program is an
 interview show and usually lasts about an hour.  Check it out!

When!??
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:33:31 PDT
From: "Lauren Tripodi" <barefoot4@hotmail.com>
Subject: missing the war

ok so i love this song (Missing the War)and i've listened to the lyrics
over and over but i still don't think i completely understand it. any
interpretations would be appreciated.
  ~ lauren

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:31:40 -0500
From: buzz45@juno.com (stacey l thompson)
Subject: ben folds five

auth 1c 36eb11 subscribe  armchair  buzz@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 21:35:18 PDT
From: "Marybeth Cool Gal" <firedancer15@hotmail.com>
Subject: #soulcoughing

Benheads,
a big HELLO from a lurker, hehe. Well, why is she decidin' to post
tonight ya ask? Well, I have this channel on DALnet. #SoulCoughing, I
know many of ya are into them as well. And with the tour kicking off and
El Oso coming out soon, we may wanna chat about em! So, please drop by
when ya can! :o)

Keep peaceful--
marybeth....Marybeth^ on DALnet

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:58:00 EDT
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: Kate...Ska

it was mentioned a while back that Kate was not done in a true ska manner....I
personally was disapointed I was expecting some really funky shit with horns
and a throbing bassline, ie. Skankin' Pickle, Mustard Plug, early Sublime,
etc.

Well that's it.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:00:40 EDT
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: BFF Video Compalation

What ever happened to this video compilation people were making...if it's
still out there e-mail me about it...I love a copy.

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:26:56 -0500
From: rh@apci.net
Subject: Fresh Air on NPR

Thanks for the posts about BF5's interview on Fresh Air.  We were at a
Sarah McLachlan/Lisa Loeb concert tonight here in St. Louis -- they were
hot! and the place rocked -- so we missed the BF5 interview.  Try to catch
it tomorrow or this weekend (on Fresh Air Weekend) but I know the schedule
varies with local NPR stations so that's a crap shoot.  For anyone that
doesn't hear it directly you can still listen to it on real audio by going
to the NPR page   http://whyy.org/freshair/    and following the links
(when it's uploaded which will probably be in a day or two).

Hey, stay tight and have a great weekend.  Love the band, love the boys...
shit, I even love this fucking armchair, it fits just right where it counts

Ray

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 98 15:05:26 PDT
From: "Scott Hookway" <shookway@powerup.com.au>
Subject: Finally Brick No1 on Net 50

It seems that Brick will be No 1 on triple j net 50 this Sat.  Finally all
my voting has paid off and Grinspoon are no 4 WOOHOO.  Three good songs as
the top 3.

Scott Hookway
shookway@powerup.com.au
Top 5 CD's when I last changed my sig
1.Ballad of Tom Jones - Space
2.Fresh Meat  -  Arkarna
3.It's For Your Own Good - Living End
4.Second Solution(ep) - The Living End
5.Slightly Oddway - Jebediah

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:43:18 -0700
From: tak28@juno.com (Tessa A Kidd)
Subject: Steven's Last Night in Town in Penn State

I bet the students at Penn State were swingin' today.  (those who
appreciate BFF and swing dancing at least).  They played Steven's Last
Night in Town on 104.9, Penn State's good old radio station......

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:24:05 -0700
From: 777jet <777jet@bigfoot.com>
Subject: How to get INTERVIEW of Ben Folds on NPR

"HELLO CLEVELAND!"   -David St. Hubbins

Thanks to the 2 fans who told us about the 4/9/98 BFF interview; I did some
searching and have found out anyone with a web browser can listen to the
audio interview at anytime:

INSTRUCTIONS:

*Note: The interview was today, so it hasn't been put up yet, as of 11:07pm
4/9/98 Thursday; Try on Friday 4/10

1. Go to the Fresh Air Site at http://www.whyy.org/freshair/
2. Install RealAudio Player in your browser.(They have a link)
3. Enter April 9, 1998 as date of show; Click "Go get It" button.
4. At the top of the page select the link "28.8" to commence the playback
of the interview via RealAudio.
5. Kick back with an ice cold beverage as you listen to Ben Folds!

Good luck, and use the fork, err the force Luke.

I just have one more thing to say: Ben Folds Five ROCKS.

- -Thomas

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 19:56:36 EDT
From: EAPoet <EAPoet@aol.com>
Subject: Ben Folds on NPR

hey, i duno if anyone has mentioned this already, but ben folds was
interviewed on national public radio today, on this program called Fresh Air..
i think it's going to be airing again tomorrow at 3pm and then at 7pm.. tune
in.  i caught the end of it tonight, taping tomorrow.    oh, btw, 90.9  on the
dial.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:39:59 +1000
From: Christine Ko <s365927@student.uq.edu.au>
Subject: another nbp review

hey people,

i'm not actually part of this list anymore but i found this review of nbp
and thought i'd share with all of you. yeah, i know, nbp has been out for
ages but this was only published on 8/4/98 (or 4/8/98 for you americans) in
"scene", a local street press from SE queensland (australia).
'Naked Baby Photos'
Ben Folds Five (Virgin)

Naked baby photos - real ones - can be cute or embarrassing, but the same
can't be said for this. Cute is too insulting, and this album is just too
brimful of smashes to be embarrassing. BF5 are an interesting prospect -
just the right mixture of fun and seriousness, and let's face it, anything
with great freeform piano like these guys pull off has got to be great.
Sure it's a slap together of early stuff and live renditions of the likes
of 'Underground' but dammit! - this is a great album. The start of
'Underground' is worth the price of this album alone, when after stating,
"I'm sure you don't remember me," some wag from the audience yells out,
"WHO THE F**K ARE YOU?" Couldn't have been scripted any better. As for the
rest of the album, all I can say is piss has never be taken more
eloquently. A starting point for new fans, or an addition for old ones -
either way definitely worth it.
isn't that nice?

well, that's all from me then.

i'm just a dweeb with static hair,
christine :o)

                                                        \,`/ /
                                                        _)..  `_
                                                       ( __  -\
                                                           '`.
                                                          ( \>_-_,
                                                          _||_ ~-/
     CHRISTINE KO - http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/2615
- -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,*~'`^`'~*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 98 23:37:30 EST
From: info@hk.super.net
Subject: AADULTGAMES

Come see the hottest adult website on the net for only $14.95 a month.

WWW.AADULTGAMES.COM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:09:31 -0400
From: "Chad Sarles" <wsarles@indiana.edu>
Subject: New MP3s

Hello all,

I have added 3 new live mp3s to the archive:

Best Imitation of Myself
The Ultimate Sacrifice
She Don't Use Jelly

I don't know which show these are from, but if someone knows, please contact
me.

Enjoy,
Chad

http://php.indiana.edu/~wsarles/bffmp3.html - Ben Folds Five Audio Archive

wsarles@indiana.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 06:23:14 PDT
From: "Dustin O." <doneil41@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #934

Hey now armchair people,
  Just a couple of things, I'll try to keep this short.  But since I've
already wasted a sentence (two now) I really don't care.
Anyway, when is the Burt Bacharach tribute going to be on TV? I know
it's been posted before, but I wasn't paying attention.  Second, I
really have to find out when tickets for the June 6th SPAC show are
going on slae, and how much they'll be, friends are starting to piss me
off about it.
That's it for today,
Dustin

"Everybody here knows the story, with some fabricated extra parts."
                                                  -Ben Folds Five
"If spend your life avoiding surprises, are you really living or just
giving in?"
                                                  -Dog's Eye View
"Do what you will always, walk where you like, your steps, do what you
please, I'll back you up."
					          -Dave Matthews
"It's just a little bit harder just to hold your hand, and round and
round we go."
						  -For Squirrels