Issue #937 - April 11, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, April 11 1998    Volume 01 : Number 937

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    MD trades
    oh, i forgot Oasis.
    European Festival Tour Dates
    Kate as "ska"
    BFF with BB in NYC
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #934
    Found Domo.......!
    TNT show

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:26:42 -0400
From: Kenneth McKenna - SSG <KenneMcK@sbservices.com>
Subject: MD trades

Greetings!

Does anyone on this list trade MiniDiscs?  If so, I'm interested in BF5
live material, as well as studio outtakes and hard-to-find B-Sides.  I'm
particularly interested in a good recording of a HORDE show w/ the
string section backing BF5.  Contact me off-line at
kennemck@sbservices.com with trade proposals (I only make 1 for 1
trades!).

Regards,
Ken McKenna

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:25:47
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: oh, i forgot Oasis.

Brendan (the person listing the Best of British exports/imports)forgot:

~ Take That
~ Bush
~ Cracker (= "fitz".... but fatter)
~ Monty Python
~ London... the place where the boys feel really understood..
~ sarcasm
but i think we're about even, cos you (you, personally), gave us... THE
BACKSTREET BOYS! my eternal gratitude. ( i was joking about TT and Bush, btw)

and if anyone who's anyone in BFF-circles(cliques and coteries...) is
reading, ***BRITAIN DOESN'T END AT LONDON***, there is life in the
southwest, in particular EXETER, hint hint, a gig would be nice.

Anyway, i'm really posting to say how grate "She don't use jelly" is...
it's going on my mix tape! Are the Flaming Lips anything like Bff? or is it
a total piss-rip?

Oh, and re: the Teletubbies... anyone who's seen Thom Yorke singing with
the expression on his face like he's crying... he IS the
freaky-baby-sun-god thing!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:54:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: European Festival Tour Dates

These dates just in as confirmed for shows in Europe this summer:

    June 27: Glastonbury, England - Glastonbury Festival
    June 29: London, England - The Forum - Tickets via Ticketmaster
    July 1: Oporto, Portugal - Imperial Festival
    July 3: Torhout, Belgium - Torhout Festival
    July 4: Werchter, Belgium - Werchter Festival
    July 5: Ringe, Denmark - Midtfyns Festival

 -fjm
                       You don't owe me to be so polite

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:55:04 -0400
From: ben_folds@juno.com
Subject: Kate as "ska"

> So can someone brighter than myself
>please explain it to the rest of us?  I was really dissapointed by it
not
>being ska, but the strings were cool anyway

It was just a joke guys.  Ben and the boys were poking fun at ska music.

     ~Alan

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:07:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Bodayle <mbodayle@txdirect.net>
Subject: BFF with BB in NYC

Saw BFF at the Burt Bacharach tribute in New York City last night. Their
version of "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" was outstanding. Watch it on
TNT next Wednesday and I bet you won't sit still for the rocking ending!

Ben looked really cool (albeit different) in his orange-colored corduroy
suit while the guys also looked dapper in their suits and ties. Sorry I
missed them outside after the show as I was very eager to give them a copy
of my Elvis Costello fanzine. I hope the boys got to meet Elvis.

BEYOND BELIEF(The Elvis Costello Newsletter)
"Keep Your Finger on Important Issues"
c/o Mike Bodayle
110 Granburg Circle
San Antonio, TX  78218
http://come.to/beyond-belief
mbodayle@txdirect.net

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:18:09 -0600
From: Spanky <a0028897@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #934

Much apologies if this has already been posted...

By Mark Bautz <mailto:Mark_Bautz@ew.com> As rain fell outside
Manhattan's sold-out Hammerstein Ballroom Wednesday night, Gen X's
hippest piano player, Ben Folds, banged out a winningly raucous version
of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head." The occasion: a star-studded
musical tribute to the song's composer, venerable piano man Burt
Bacharach. (The concert airs Wed., April 15, at 9 p.m. on TNT.)
Backstage, Folds, who looked natty in a '70s-ish velvet jacket and
turtleneck, told EW Online that Bacharach is welcome to produce his
band's next album. "He can probably fix a few problems we've been
having," joked Folds. "You know, our singing out of tune, playing a
little loud -- those sorts of things."

There you go.

Deidre

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:23:30 EDT
From: ImInPieces <ImInPieces@aol.com>
Subject: Found Domo.......!

     I found a copy of "Domo! Ben-Chan Desu" yesterday at a small record store
in Northampton, MA for $47.99.  It's great!  For those of you wondering what's
on it, here goes:
1st CD: 1Opening D.J.(just an introduction of the band from a Japanese DJ)
2Best Imitation of Myself 3One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces 4Kate
5Selfless, Cold and Composed 6unknown (actually, it's Emaline!) 7Philosophy
8Brick 9Steven's Last Night In Town 10Smoke 11For All The Pretty People-
Jackson Cannery (spelled Connery on the cd) 12Fair 13Sports & Wine 14Theme
from Dr.Pyser 15 Battle of Who Could Care Less 16Underground

2nd CD: 1Kane-Kaese (Song For The Dumped sung in Japanese!!) 2Mitchell Lane
(with September 67) 3Junlianne 4Steven's Last Night In Town 5Smoke 6For All
the Pretty People-Jackson Cannery 7Fair 8Sports & Wine 9Theme From Dr. Pyser
10Underground 11Kane-Kaese 12Mitchell Lane 13Julianne

Disc 1 & disc 2 (songs 1-3) were recorded 5/20/97 and songs 4-13 on disc 2
were recorded 5/19/97.  It's great cd.  Definitely worth the money!!  By the
way, I'm not a "Brick-head" either, I've been a fan since "Underground" came
out.  I first saw the band on Lollapalooza, and have been a huge fan since!

Kim

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:20:19 EDT
From: Fantine222 <Fantine222@aol.com>
Subject: TNT show

Hey Everybody!

Does anyone have a date and time for the TNT show?  I missed the MTV artists
cut because I forgot to change my VCR clock to Daylight savings time, what an
idiot.
Oh well.

Cait