Issue #938 - April 12, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, April 12 1998     Volume 01 : Number 938

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Little perturbed, a little bitching
    "trust it like my ____" on NBP
    OVERWHELMED
    [none]
    Total Request? The Lawrence Show.. and misc. ramblings
    Subliminal messages
    Jamboree List
    ben folds on space ghost
    Telconned
    Fear of Fear of Pop
    something completely meaningless!!!!!!
    Saturday Night Ben
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #937
    Re: BFF ON A COMPILATION ALBUM
    It's happening... in the UK
    Tacky, but interesting BFF memorabilia
    Jurrasic Park Girl, April 15th's show
    Update on the Fresh Air Interview
    POLL RESULTS !!
    SKIP! HELP!

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:40:58 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com
Subject: Little perturbed, a little bitching

So I was hanging out with a cool new friend today.  I sideways mentioned
Ben Folds Five, and she frowns, thinking Im some trendy "whatever the top
40 stations feed me" sort of person.  then I told her Ive liked them
since birth, and then she was cool with that.  I can accept the growing
popularity, but I miss when people had no fricking clue about who the
hell they were-so they wouldnt have to make uneducated judgements on
lovely people like myself!
~Elisabeth
"We're amigos and you cheated!"
Long shot-any chance theres a guy named Dan Celluci from MA on this list?
Just wondering.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:09:08 EDT
From: BigJoMedow <BigJoMedow@aol.com>
Subject: "trust it like my ____" on NBP

I think that its, in fact, "trust it like my STRAT" the guitar. (ben is a
guitarist too you know!)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 98 19:50:51 EST
From: majordomo@hk.super.net
Subject: OVERWHELMED

My products and this business are in such high demand right now that I am in
serious need of more associates.

This is not MLM, or a chain-letter scheme.

You'll not need to call on your friends or family.  I am overwhelmed with
leads, and I'm willing to share!

Also, NO cold-calling is required.

If you have a minimum of 10 -15 hours per week, a workable home office, and a
need to earn an extra $1,000 - $5,000 per month, then call my 24-hour toll-
free number for a short introductory message.

1-888-800-5034

P.S. Please...Serious inquiries only.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:40:04 PDT
From: "leah greenwood" <laurapalmer69@hotmail.com>
Subject: [none]

auth 799b6799 subscribe armchair laurapalmer69@hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:20:32 EDT
From: FunShnBear <FunShnBear@aol.com>
Subject: Total Request? The Lawrence Show.. and misc. ramblings

Alright, alright.. I'm going to post.. AGAIN! (cheers and clapping from the
masses)

I normally don't post, but I felt moved to as I watched MTV last night.

Now, they have this show, called Total Request, or something like that, and
the whole idea is simple. People call in and request a video and whatever
videos get the most votes get played that night. They have the top 4 requested
videos.

Now here's where we come in. You all constantly complain about how Ben Folds
Five only gets exposure for Brick, well this is our chance to change it. I
know we can do it, there sure are a lot of us out there! Anyway, you can e-
mail them, or call them to request it. I don't know about you all, but I would
sure like to see Uncle Walter (or any video besides Brick) for once in my
life, without having to stay up till 2 in the morning, or wait 40 minutes for
it to download it on my computer. Anyway, just a suggestion. (Maybe we could
get something organized?)

Also, I was wondering about the Sunflower Music Fest. (or something like that)
How's it setup? Do people sit, or are you forced to stand all day? Any info
would be great. (Bess! You going? e-mail me :) )

Oh.. and there was this guy from the chicago show (riveria, 2/15/98) who took
a picture of Darren and me, and he said he would mail it to me, anyway I think
he said he was on the armchair, so if you're him, or you think you know him
(even though that's a pretty general description) I would *really* like that
picture of Darren and me.

Oh, and the whole "trust it like my strap" isn't a reference to Ben's penis,
it was taped live, and Robert's bass strap broke. (The whole liner notes go
back to how sarcasm can't be seen through typing, Ben was just making a joke,
oh no, now I'm starting another discussion.. don't flame me, please!)

Anyway, this post is gettin' a little lengthly
- -- Katie

"So long, goodbye, I'll never cry that much for you" - Superdrag. What if you
don't fly

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:38:39 -0400
From: phaedonely@juno.com (J. M Donely)
Subject: Subliminal messages

BFF YOU WILL TOUR SWEDEN IN JULY THIS SUMMER
YOU WILL BE IN STOCKHOLM
COME TO SWEDEN ITS PRETTY.
Please come to Sweden! Make my summer kickass!

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:34:14 EDT
From: Sarah85520 <Sarah85520@aol.com>
Subject: Jamboree List

For anyone who's planning on going to the Q101 Jamboree on May 23rd, here's
some vital info that ya might wanna know... Just heard it today, so it should
be right:
              ***** May 23rd @ 1pm World Music Theatre*********
   *******Tickets $27, go on sale next Friday, April 17th, at noon********
       ******** Who's all gonna be there:******
          1. Foo Fighters                       6. Yours and my fav, Ben Folds
Five
          2. Barenaked Ladies               7. Scott Weiland
          3. Eve 6                                 8. The Specials
          4. Soul Asylum                      9. Harvey Danger
          5. Creed                               10. And a special guest to be
named at another time!
          Sounds like a good show to me!!! Hope to see everyone there!!!
Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:57:22 -0500
From: synergy@tff.net
Subject: ben folds on space ghost

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone else caught ben folds on SGC2C tonight.. i
knew he had been on there before, but i'd never seen it.. please tell me
i'm not crazy and just seeing things.. he just pointed his finger at
zorak and said "you're zorak" and then zorak just zapped him. also, ben
folds five was listed today in spin's top 40.. its just a little article
at the end.. but it was nice, i guess.. they asked him if he liked to
wear turtlenecks. ugh.
celine

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:56:15 -0400
From: "Fred or Sarah" <fantonan@bcn.net>
Subject: Telconned

Well boys and girls...oh yeah, this is
Emmaline20@aol.com/santonan@student.umass.edu home for Easter Break using
the old man's email account. Flipping through my Rolling Stone..the one
with Sarah McLachlan on the cover, there was this article about how much
radio still sucks. So I was just like "blah blah blah blah....whoa!"
Apparently Ben Folds Five is joining forces with Ani DiFranco,
Triplefastaction and some others...it's this compilation thing called
"Teleconned, Volume 1: We Want the Airwaves." It's being released by No
Alternative Records, it's for radio diversity. Doesn't say when it will be
released though...pretty cool.

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:39:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mat Hames <mhames@onramp.net>
Subject: Fear of Fear of Pop

I'm terrified... I just read that Ben Folds is making a techno solo
album... Please say it aint so... Tell me it was just a bad joke.

Can anyone post the full skinny on this?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 06:34:19 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: something completely meaningless!!!!!!

<< ~ lauren  >>
OH MY GOD!!!!! SHE'S GOT MY NAME!!!!!!!!!! Give it back, give it back!!! :)
- -Lauren...uh the other one.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 06:49:41 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: Saturday Night Ben

<< on the japanese version of "Brick" there is a "disco" remix of fair, and a
 "ska" remix o of kate.  those titles are meant to be jokes. >>
Joke or no joke, I like the "disco" version of "Fair".  I think it's coolio.
Ben's really got a thing for strings. Does he do all the arranging?  I
probably could look at the back of the cd and not waste space, but... naw.
Plus, who all is going to the San Jose show on May 10th?  I haven't heard
anyone mention it yet.
- -Lauren
P.S  People, people, people, when you post about a radio station, it ALWAYS
helps to put what city you live in, ie this whole NPR Fresh Air interview.
Just a friendly reminder that we don't all live in the same city and NPR is
not the same number everywhere. :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:15:11 +1000
From: laefl@bit.net.au (laefl)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #937

The occasion: a star-studded
>musical tribute to the song's composer, venerable piano man Burt
>Bacharach. (The concert airs Wed., April 15, at 9 p.m. on TNT.)
>Backstage, Folds, who looked natty in a '70s-ish velvet jacket and
>turtleneck,

Yeah, but how did Burt look??  :-)

Wasnt it a millionaire who said "Imagine No Possessions?"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 11:25:49 EDT
From: Dimsdale0 <Dimsdale0@aol.com>
Subject: Re: BFF ON A COMPILATION ALBUM

Morning.  Just reading through the latest issue of Rolling Stone (Issue # 785,
with Sarah McLachlan all mustard-faced on the cover), and came across an
article about a compilation album coming out (yes, I still use the word album)
with songs by Triplefastaction, Ani DiFranco, and ours truly, BFF.  The "CD"
is titled "Teleconned, Volume 1: We Want the Airwaves," and Rolling Stone
refers to it as "a new record to promote radio diversity."  I don't know which
BFF song will be on it (may even be a new one; that would be swell!).  The
record is released by No Alternative Records.  I didn't catch a release date,
but check out your compilation bins soon.  Just a side note, I still  get a
kick out of my daughter's friends (they're all about 16) who couldn't stand
BFF when I would play the tape while taxiing them around, but now are duly
impressed with the autographed copy I have of "Whatever...," especially since
"Brick" catapulted the boys to their current status.  I'm not at all griping
about them becoming popular, because I've actually been waiting for them to
get there since the week they released the first record.  Good job mates!  I
just wish people in general would give music a fair shake before radio deems
it as "worthy."   People can be so myopic (Myopic, look that one up, Koppel).
Oh, Tom Waits, where are ye now?  Ah well.  As always, it's a pleasure to
exchange thoughts, but I gotta go.  "Such a shame to ruin this bright lazy
summer day..."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 16:51:16
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: It's happening... in the UK

... oh, and I forgot Chumbawamba :)

it's happening: 1) yesterday my friend asked me The Question, completely
innocently, "oh yeah, what IS Brick about?"... so i replied knowingly, with
a wearied look on my face.

2) ok so, I'm at work, buttering 2346928 pieces of bread with margarine (I
don't use butter... or any of these...:^) ... (btw, big brother got the
keys and i got a saturday job in a *sandwich factory*), and... just after
Sash! and before Tin Tin Out, or some other classic, i hear... "6am..." You
must realise this is the first time i've ever heard this on National Radio!
(R1). And it just struck me how strange it was to hear this familiar voice
which i'm used to hearing singing to me in my bedroom, in a FACTORY with
stoopid blokes behind me going "Jodie just mooned!" and stuff. And then to
have Chris Moyles (the DJ) going, "it's BEN FOLDS FIVE!!!" in a really
annoying (even for him) dj-enthusiastic type voice. Twice. Argh.
It's good... but in a way it's pants. (Not "Brick"... just the whole thing)
But anyway, everyone else is probably used to it by now...

@nn@

"Seconds pass slowly and years go flying by" ~ oh, how true.
"Where brella gone?" ~Po

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:25:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: jycpark@sprynet.com
Subject: Tacky, but interesting BFF memorabilia

Hi everybody,
	I bought the Brick single at Borders Books and Music the other day and
they gave me this red, styrofoam brick that says Ben Folds Five, with WEAEA, 550
music/Epic Records, and has the word Brick scrawled on it in what looks like
little kid's handwriting. No one has really mentioned it or if they did, I
missed it, but I'm not sure if this what other music stores do, because the guy
just asked me if I wanted it. Anyhow, I don't really care for the brick a whole
lot, but if anybody is interested, let me know. Thanks.

Jiwoo

P.S. I'd like to apologize to Ryan Neary for being unnecessarily pesky in our
trade, but I appreciate his cooperation nonetheless. He's got a good collection
of BFF stuff as well a bunch of other bands and I encourage you to trade with
him.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:21:35 -0400
From: "John Felten" <Sammy7@gte.net>
Subject: Jurrasic Park Girl, April 15th's show

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD655D.83AF2760

Hey fellow armchairers, I have two questions.  Well, for all of you who saw
"Artists Cut" on MTV, Ben said that the girl in the video was the same girl
from Jurrasic Park.  I was just wondering is that Kirsten Dunst, because is
sure looks like her.  One more thing, I've been to many web sites, and they
say the show on April 15th is at 8 pm.  Then on a commercial it says 9 pm.
Which is correct??

- -Daria
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:46:31 -0500
From: rh@apci.net
Subject: Update on the Fresh Air Interview

I was listening to "Fresh Air Weekend" on NPR today hoping that the BF5
interview would be replayed -- for those of you who listened you'll know
it was the first segment to be rebroadcast (at least on the St Louis
station).  If you're not familiar with Terry Gross, the interviewer, she
comes off a little presumptuous sometimes but typically does a great
job.  Anyway, it was a good interview and, as I said in a previous post,
I'd encourage you to listen to it at the NPR web site via Real Audio
at   http://whyy.org/freshair/    when/if they ever get it uploaded (not
there as of 3:30 CDT Saturday).  They talk about "Brick", "Stevens Last
Night in Town" & "The Battle of Who Could Care Less".

Also, if anyone desperately wants a copy -- it's about 15 mins -- send
me an email privately and I'll make arrangements to get you one.  Don't
know what the postage and tape would cost but probably not more than a
buck or a buck-fifty for those of you in the states; elsewhere a bit
more.  Later,

Ray

email:
rh@apci.net
goethe@mindspring.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:57:24 +0200
From: Guillaume <dakoolguy@hol.fr>
Subject: POLL RESULTS !!

Hi Fivers !
Good new: the results of the BFF poll are now on my web site. Go and
check them at:
    http://www.mygale.org/10/drpyser   ,in the bff poll section.
Once again, I'd like to thank a lot all of you who voted so far, and all
who are going to vote in soon : )
Byyyyye and thank you again,
    Guillaume, the french BFF fan ; )

- --
     Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (français & english):

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:07:16 -0500
From: rcc35060@cmsu2.cmsu.edu (rebehka-chrissy-christine-meg-cramer)
Subject: SKIP! HELP!

i tired your addy three times and i kept getting  it back saying
'insufficent permission'.   what does that mean? how can i fix it?! i wanna
eamil but i cant! i tried yoru addy and it JUST DIDNT WORK!

ive got nothing to say, but its okay.

this is my story both humble and true, take it to pieces and mend it with glue.

everyones favorite chrissy (the silly old bananafish)

"i have a great fear of this  so-called 'normal' thing.  you know, the ones
that passed their exams, the ones who went to their jobs, the ones that
didn't  become rock and rollers,  the ones that settled for it. Settled for
'the deal'.  thats what im trying to avoid. but im sick of avoiding it
through my own self destruction."
- -john lennon

"i didnt like her(yoko) because she was taking my friend away."
- -ringo starr

"oh, look at me,im way cool. im off with my way cool friends to sniff floor
wax."
- -brian krakow, to angela chase