Issue #939 - April 13, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Monday, April 13 1998     Volume 01 : Number 939

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Poetry!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #938
    Red Armchair?
    Who's Who, Video Killed, & Similarities
    for those of ya'll in the UK...
    BRICK smashes in AUSTRALIA
    Song For The Dumped
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #938
    Strange Sounds -- "Pin drops on the Carpet Floor..."
    SFTD
    San Jose show
    Hello
    total request/radio diversity
    underworld.net BFF site.
    S.D.U.J.
    Brick
    attention UK fans!!!

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 20:47:59 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com
Subject: Poetry!

Hey armchairites, any of you hear about the Favorite Poem project?
Anyone want info? You can email me.
Not clogging
~Elisabeth
Favorite BFF lyrically? Philoshophy or any one that disses "slackers"
BOWCCL, UNderground

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 20:56:32 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #938

<< Hey fellow armchairers, I have two questions.  Well, for all of you who saw
 "Artists Cut" on MTV, Ben said that the girl in the video was the same girl
 from Jurrasic Park.  I was just wondering is that Kirsten Dunst, because is
 sure looks like her.  One more thing, I've been to many web sites, and they
 say the show on April 15th is at 8 pm.  Then on a commercial it says 9 pm.
 Which is correct??

I was wondering the exact same thing about that Kirsten Dunst thing.   I've
seen it twice already, so I hope the third time I'll get it.  Kirsten Dunst is
only 15 and I am wondering what she was doing in a BFF video....  I'm gonna
check the local listings for the Burt special. I suggest everyone does the
same.  Check your Pariscopes.

Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:35:11 EDT
From: FunShnBear <FunShnBear@aol.com>
Subject: Red Armchair?

I don't know if anyone else on AOL noticed this, but the Armchair was  R-E-D
today.. yep, that's right red. Like Robert's shirt on NPB red. Anyway, now
unless Frank has an undying passion for red, someone must've sent their
article in red. Maybe I'm bein' nit picky, but I think it's quite annoying,
and could you please NOT!

And to add some ben folds five content to this, did anyone who watched Rosie
O'Donnell yesterday see Mike Myers tell her the artist that played on the Burt
Bacarach (shoot, I spelt that wrong) Tribute, and he went through some of the
bands with no enthusiasm whatsoever and when he got to Ben Folds Five he said
it with tons of enthusiasm. Maybe I'm losing it, but I heard it. (Haha.. he
didn't mention Dionne Warwick!)

Ok, that's it from me

- - - Katie

"Daria, I won't be soothed, Daria, I won't be soothed over like smoothed over
lightening" - Cake "Daria"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 98 20:40:46 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@mail.com>
Subject: Who's Who, Video Killed, & Similarities

Here are some items on my web page that might be of interest.  Most of
them are new:

 * Transcription to "Video Killed the Radio Star"

 * A "Who's Who" guide to Ben Folds Five

     (If you've ever wondered who "Howard" or "Summer B." were.)

 * Similarities between BF5 songs and other songs

 -- Michael Bluejay  *  ICQ #3749849

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:50:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kelly Alexander <kja4363@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: for those of ya'll in the UK...

I don't want to go to the Forum show in London on the 29th by myself!  I'm
a dumb American and imagine my luck - I'll be there till the 30th or so.
And I just bought my ticket, but the guy I'll be staying with is not a big
fan, so I don't want to make him buy his own ticket (I can't afford his),
so I'm wondering if there's gonna be a group meeting up, and if there is,
if I could just kinda tag along and not say much?  Somebody private mail
me so that we can meet up! uh..cheers...

Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:46:45 +0930 (CST)
From: Ruth Starke <ruth.starke@flinders.edu.au>
Subject: BRICK smashes in AUSTRALIA

Last night Brick hit the number one spot in Triple J's net 50 countdown.
It's been on the chart for weeks, hovering around number 3 or 4, but last
night it fell into number 1 for the first time.

Brick is finally making waves in Australia...ooh what a nice analogy. Please
also note the pun in the subject line...ahh. :)

Pet
(reply to: naturalselection@hotmail.com)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:20:10 EDT
From: WAVMaker2 <WAVMaker2@aol.com>

Does anybody know when Ben Folds Five is going to be on TNT??? Date and time??
I would like to know.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:02:56 EDT
From: JGreenb106 <JGreenb106@aol.com>

In a message dated 4/11/98 9:42:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl writes:

<<
 I think that its, in fact, "trust it like my STRAT" the guitar. (ben is a
 guitarist too you know!)

Yeah, but I think I read that the "Emaline" chords are the only 3 chords he
knows...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:03:49 EDT
From: LC54992 <LC54992@aol.com>
Subject: Song For The Dumped

   I was starting to get jealous of all of you who had said that you'd been
hearing SFTD on the radio cuz the buzz has only been playing brick.  but
tonight my bro and i were driving home and jeremy, the dj, said that this next
one was a new one by Ben Folds Five.  my bro turned to me and he's like...this
is a new one?  this is the song witht he give me my money back you bitch,
right? i'm like yup!  we cranked up the volume and starting jamming and dance
in the car...it was pretty funny! of course he was all riled up and so was i
cuz "killing in the name" by rage was just on.  but anyway..it was cool...oh i
go tmy BFF WAEA shirt in the mail the other day...i love it!
   oh funny BFF poster story...actually two...
1) yesterday i went into blockbuster music and asked someone if they had any
BFF promo posters for sale...she said "nope, and if we did i'd keep them!" i
thought that was cool...on the same note...
2) i'm talking to my friend/crush joel and i asked him wher ei could get a BFF
poster.  he said he didn't know that the one poster he has he stole from the
concert.  that he saw it at the concert it was like a poster saying "tonight
BFF"
somethine like that ...and he saw it and jsut took it down and thats the one
BFF poster he has....okay i'll stop cuz i'm babbling...n e way!
                   later fivers!               ~~~~~Robin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:12:15 EDT
From: JGreenb106 <JGreenb106@aol.com>

In a message dated 4/11/98 9:42:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl writes:

<<
 Hey fellow armchairers, I have two questions.  Well, for all of you who saw
 "Artists Cut" on MTV, Ben said that the girl in the video was the same girl
 from Jurrasic Park.  I was just wondering is that Kirsten Dunst, because is
 sure looks like her.  One more thing, I've been to many web sites, and they
 say the show on April 15th is at 8 pm.  Then on a commercial it says 9 pm.
 Which is correct??

Ariana Richards is the girl from Jurassic Park,I think...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:16:36 EDT
From: HndOfChaos <HndOfChaos@aol.com>
Subject: Strange Sounds -- "Pin drops on the Carpet Floor..."

Hey all--

Annoucing the opening of my "New Web Site" (smirk):

The Strangest Things
http://members.xoom.com/HndOfChaos

I need your help in collecting those strangest beeps, clicks, and
conversations we hear during BFF songs...A list has already been started on my
site, but, of course, I WANT MORE! (Sorry for shouting.)

~Kathryn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Howard, The Strangest Things have happened lately..."

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 01:02:20 EDT
From: DanDWarhol <DanDWarhol@aol.com>
Subject: SFTD

i was flipping through R&R yesterday...for those who dont know, it is a trade
magazine (for radio stations)..it lists all the different stations and their
formats, etc..and charts and most added songs...well, you get the idea....in
the alternative section, under 'most added', Ben Folds "Song for the Dumped"
was listed....it had 30 stations add them to their playlist....this is good on
2 levels....1) it means that this is their new single, and 2) it is a
tremendoulsy good start....when a song peaks, it has about 100-110 stations
playing it.....ben folds five has 30, and hasnt even appeared on the chart yet
(the chart lists up to #50 for the week)....so look for song for the dumped to
start appearing....for those of you wondering, brick has fallen to #30....

also, on the next page, there is a brief 'snip' saying:

"The strong showing of 'Song For The Dumped' makes the likelihood of Ben Folds
Five achieving platinum sales status (they're already way past gold) look like
a sure thing"...

aaron

by the way, does anybody else besides me really like Harvey Dangers' "Flagpole
Sitta"?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:59:15 -0700
From: "Jennifer Auletto" <jenauletto@earthlink.net>
Subject: San Jose show

Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com> wrote:

>Plus, who all is going to the San Jose show on May 10th?  I haven't heard
>anyone mention it yet.

I am!  Can't wait!!!!

=====================
Jennifer Auletto
jenauletto@earthlink.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 01:34:26 PDT
From: "Timmy Casagrande" <lo_santo@hotmail.com>
Subject: Hello

I just wanted to publicly say hello to my new pal JILL
Timmy

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:04:55 EDT
From: Rocket no8 <Rocketno8@aol.com>
Subject: total request/radio diversity

about the MTV Total Request thing, i think that we should instead wait until
the John Flansburgh-directed SFTD video to premiere on MTV and request the
hell outta that.  i'd rather them be a two-hit wonder.  btw, remember when
Underground was out and people called them a one-hit wonder back then?
~
wow, i didn't know BF5 are going to be on the radio diversity compilation.  in
addition to those mentioned, it's also going to include the magnificent Soul
Coughing.
- -al

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:12:20 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: underworld.net BFF site.

does anyone know what's up with "www.underworld.net/bff"? in my opinion
it's one of the best BFF sites out there, but it seems there hasn't been
an update since Jan. 26th.
just wondering, I'm MP3 hungry.

Sean

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 17:31:14, -0500
From: NPXK46D@prodigy.com ( KYLA   DORSEY)
Subject: S.D.U.J.

Who's singing in She Don't use Jelly? It sort of sounds like
different people are singing the different verses, but I can't quite
tell...help me out.

Kyla~*

chestnut brown canary, ruby-throated sparrow....

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:34:55 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Brick

Just thought I'd say how happy I was to discover that whatever and ever amen was no 30 in MVC, and english music chain store, and Brick is in at 26! Hurrah! The Boys Will be coming back to england!
Anyway, just thought I'd say how surprised I was that Brick did better than Kate, and how amazing it is that they got any bloody sales at all with such poo marketing. I wouldn't even have known had it not been for the postcard, and quite a few armchair dudes didn't know anyway. Still, greater things should happen.
Anthony

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 15:40:47 PDT
From: "Jonathan Murray" <calmdown20@hotmail.com>
Subject: attention UK fans!!!

Hello UKers,

       Im a real big fan of Ben Folds Five and I happen to be moving to
London at the end of the May.  If there is anybody from London who can
give me some tips for Americans and what the inside info on Concerts is
over there let me know!!

thanks,

Jonathan (19)

"Cant buy what I want because its free"--Eddie Vedder
"So you can laugh all you want to, but I got my philosophy"--Ben   Folds