Issue #942 - April 15, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, April 15 1998   Volume 01 : Number 942

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    BF5 on Larry Sanders
    SPIN
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #941
    theme from dr pyser
    Bacharach thing
    what a way to start the day.....Godzilla update
    Rule Britannia!!
    how do i order that Domo Ben Chan Desu thing??
    how do i order that Domo Ben Chan Desu thing??
    London concert
    boots
    BF5 on Larry Sanders
    something to say
    Ben Folds "solo" album
    Larry Sanders, Tueday, April 14.

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:30:18 -0500
From: rh@apci.net
Subject: BF5 on Larry Sanders

This might be old news but a friend of mine said he saw THE BOYS on
Larry Sanders (HBO) last night.  Guess it was just an excerpt of a
performance but, hey, that's better than none at all.  For those of you
who may not get HBO or aren't familiar with the Larry Sanders Show it's
basically a parody of late night shows (Letterman, Leno, etc.) and is
only 30 mins long.  I'm going to try and catch it later this week when
it repeats (I hope) on one of the other HBO channels.

Ray

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:51:05 GMT
From: Nhu_Nguyen@post.wesleyan-college.edu (Nhu Nguyen)
Subject: SPIN

ben folds five is in spin mag. for the 40 "most VITAL artists in music today"
(notice the quotes....)  Very small picture of them and guess
what...hmmm...they're #40...but at least now we know ben folds hates turtle
necks...
debbie
p.s.  go to music midtown in atlanta, ga...violent femmes, morphine, cracker,
And semisonic?  who could ask for more...except for ben folds five of course...
p.p.s.  sorry if someone already posted this...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 98 21:25:19 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@mail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #941

>From: Jesstopuv <Jesstopuv@aol.com>
>Subject: eddie walker???
>
>i was just looking at chuck folds listings for bus stop at cd now, and i
>realized that one of his band members is none other than eddie walker. i was
>wondering if anyone had any insight into this phenomen. i suspose it could
>just be a coincidance(sorry) but its not very likely. if anyone knows
>about it
>please email me or i guess you could just reply. thanks! jessie

Well, like I said in the Armchair two days ago, I *do* have a section on
my web page which explains Who's Who.

>From: HB255 <HB255@aol.com>
>Subject: Rare BFF mp3's
>
>If anybody knows of any webpages that have any rare BFF mpegs (mostly b-sides
>not on NBP), please try to e-mail me a reply. Thanks!

Ditto again, my page has a link to just such a page.

 -- Michael Bluejay  *  ICQ #3749849

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:27:54 EDT
From: Vwbugn5890 <Vwbugn5890@aol.com>
Subject: theme from dr pyser

i have a question....
where would i fnd the theme from dr. pyser? i've heard the mp3 thing, but is
it a single? on a cd? where?
shannon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:59:13 -0400
From: Adam Tyner <ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: Bacharach thing

Will the songs from the Burt Bacharach tribute be released on CD?  Just
curious.

- -Adam
/----=========================================================----\
             http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/
The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more!
   Demented music list admin           O-         MiSTie #67,326

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 23:32:10 -0700
From: tak28@juno.com (Tessa A Kidd)
Subject: what a way to start the day.....Godzilla update

At 9:00 a.m. (Eastern time) Mon. morning I was listening to Y100 (100.3
on my dial) and they mentioned that our boys will be doing a song on the
Godzilla soundtrack (like we didn't already know that).  They said that
the song is called "Air" and then they played part of an interview they
did with Ben.  It was sooooo good to hear his voice, alone with me in the
car.  He said "There was really no pressure at all (meaning, I assume, to
do the song).  And then he says "It goes a little something like this:"
and starts singing in his wonderful, breath-taking, no one like him, way
(with no music or back-up) something about Godzilla being big and green,
causing the humans to have brown pants.  This of course caused the idiots
that are allowed to be "dj's" on the "mainstream" stations to die of
laughter, which made me turn of the radio (which I usually never listen
to anyway).  But I thought it was so nice to hear Ben's voice (and little
number) first thing in the morning.....

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:19:32 +0000
From: "Luke Wilson"<Luke_Wilson@fwuk.fwc.com>
Subject: Rule Britannia!!

Well I'm sorry to smash your dreams, Mr. Uncle Sam, but your not exactly
innocent of sending us crap, are you? Let's all think back to the glory
days of:

Hanson - oh thanks.
New Kids On the Block
Larry effing King
How to cook a la American - just add one pound of fat, and deep fry!
Married with Children
Jim Carrey
Kenny G
the whole rap/swing thing
police academy movies
'have a nice day'
Friends
oprah
Joe Cocker
Barney
Any American sport - American football, baseball, basketball

And obviously Mr. Uncle Sam, you seem to have forgotten about, oh, the
Beatles, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks, Blur, Aldous Huxley, George
Orwell, Tommy Cooper and Irvine Welsh, to name but a few! And, if you are
gonna slag off your ancestors, at least use our language as it was meant
to. I'm sorry if I have offended other people, it's just that (play anthem
now) I believe in my country and am proud to say I am British, and cannot
sit back and let ignorant people have a go with no comeback.

Thank you for your time

Luke

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:07:45 +1000
From: "Paul B." <pbland@comcen.com.au>
Subject: how do i order that Domo Ben Chan Desu thing??

Heeeey,

can someone who knows please tell me how i would go about ordering this
Domo Ben Chan Desu thing from australia.. as in what web page or what
ever.. thanks

- -Paul B.

P.S. i really like it when BF5 fans mention what other bands they like, so
i'm going to:

Top 5 Bands other than you-know-who (or at least 5 really good ones)
Sonic Youth
The Beatles
Violent Femmes
Pavement
Magic Dirt

====~===~==~=~=~=~==~===~====
Paul B.
Melbourne, Australia
pbland@comcen.com.au
====~===~==~=~=~=~==~===~====

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:23:20 +0000
From: Kirsty_Chestnutt@williamslea.com
Subject: London concert

"Luke Wilson"<Luke_Wilson@fwuk.fwc.com> wrote that there were a number of
people catching the train to Kentish Town for the 29 June gig. Should we
meet somewhere near the venue for a pint or two before the concert?

There are heaps of pubs around the Forum - would a local like to suggest a
meeting point and time?

Kirsty - who can't wait!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:25:49 -0400
From: Britte_Raymond@nmh.northfield.ma.us (Britte Raymond)
Subject: boots

Sorry to do this but if anyone could do the 2 tapes for one boot deal with
me I'd be very appreciative.  I was going to do this with someone on the
list, but all my emails got erased and for some reason I get the armchair
like once a month now, so I don't have any addresses of the like.  Please
reply if you can!
Britte
britte_raymond@nmh.northfield.ma.us

Sent from Northfield Mount Hermon School via
      the First Class SMTP Gateway

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:14:00 -0700
From: plpalmer@ix.netcom.com

The guys are on Larry Sanders tonight at 11:00.

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:30:20, -0500
From: PFJH05D@prodigy.com (MISS JESSICA R BORASH)
Subject: something to say

okay, i had about 200 armchairs in my mailbox, so idecided to read
thru them all today.  to the chick who quoted the song daria by cake:
you screwed that quote up the BUTT.  it says nothing about lightening
in that song!  it says: i won't soothed over like, smoothed over like
MILK, SILK, a beadpread or a QUILT, icing on a cake or a serene
translucent lake.  great job, moron!
jeskuh =>

now we're treading water, now we're holding back our tears
- -ben folds five

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:30:36 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@cybernex.net>
Subject: Ben Folds "solo" album

okay, I don't think criticism is appropriate for an album that is yet to
be released.    we haven't even heard Ben's new album yet, and people
are posting about how it is against everything he is musically.    Music
is Music, and Ben Folds writes great music, so lets give him a chance
before we all rip his head off for recording a solo album.     we don't
even know that it's techno anyway.     all anyone knows so far is that
it is instrumental with some spoken word, and that he does use some kind
of synthesizer/keyboard on it.     even if the album is techno, who's to
say that it's not good techno.    the problem with some people is that
they judge music by genre, not by content.    lighten up and listen for
yourself, and give it a chance.

Sean
ŻŻŻŻ
|"How do you shoot the devil in the back......... what if you miss?"|
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:37:58 EDT
From: Musick Nut <MusickNut@aol.com>
Subject: Larry Sanders, Tueday, April 14.

Hi, is Ben Folds Five going to be on tonight? Please email me at Musick
Nut@aol.com if you know.

Thanks!
Dade