Issue #946 - April 18, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, April 18 1998    Volume 01 : Number 946

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Wanna be a vj, Total Request
    Wanna be a vj, Total Request
    the bff article from spin here it is
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #945
    "oh my God they Killed Kenny G!"
    GR, MI
    A bit of trivia
    Re: Burt Tribute
    dallas show and luke the brit
    My fav bands other than BFF
    Y100 fest
    japans fans
    Bff on Tnt

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:40:12 -0400
From: "John Felten" <Sammy7@gte.net>
Subject: Wanna be a vj, Total Request

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD6988.9E08FDA0

	For all of you people in the U.S., are you guys familiar with the MTV show
"Total Request"?  Well, anyway, it is a show that airs at 9:30 every
weekday and it counts down the 5 most requested videos of the night.  And
personally it pisses me off what kind of videos make it on there.  I mean,
come on, Hanson, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync, Mariah Carey??  We, fellow
armchairers, need to take a stand, and request some BFF song, any song
besides "Brick", not that I don't like it or anything, but please that's
all they ever play from them.  Personally I'd like to see "One Angry Dwarf
and 200 Solemn Faces".  Anyway, with all of us, and there are a ton of us
out there, all need to e-mail our requests(From ALL of our different
addresses), and each of us call them.  I can't wait to bump one of those
bands out, such as the backstreet boys with their "Everybody" video and
their stupid "thriller" dancing out of the slot and move Ben Folds Five in
there!!  We should do this soon too!!!  And for all of you who don't even
watch the show, well still request and watch it that night just to have the
pleasure knowing that you could take Hanson or The Backstreet Boys spot.
ALL of you who are interested PLEASE, PLEASE, e-mail me!!!!!!!!!

	Oh yeah, you want a MTV vj who likes your music?(such as Ben Folds Five?)
Well, contestant number 5 is your man.  He was asked what he thinks the all
time best song is, and he said none other than "Philosophy".  On Saturday
from 2-6 everyone will be casting their votes for their "favorite" vj.  All
of you request contestant number 5!!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:29:00 -0400
From: "John Felten" <Sammy7@gte.net>

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD6987.0DA599E0

	For all of you in the US, are you guys familiar with the show "Total
Request"?  Well, basically it is show that plays the 5 most requested
videos through the night(8:00 to 9:30).  The show airs at 9:30 on MTV on
weekdays.  Is it just me, or is everyone so sick and tired of The
Backstreet Boys, Hanson, and that new wannabe Backstreet Boys group
"N-Sync" ruling the charts.  What we need to do is, all of us in the U.S.,
need to request a video, besides "Brick".  I am actually in favor of "One
Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces".  To win, we all need to e-mail MTV, to
request the video of course, at all of our DIFFERENT e-mail addresses, and
each of us call up.  You know there is a lot of us out there!  We should do
this really soon!!!!!!!!  And if you don't watch "Total Request", still
request BFF and watch it that night.  I can't wait to bump one of those
teen bands out of their space!!!!!!  It is going to be such an upset.
Please, please e-mail me if you are interested.  Yeah, and we have to do
this soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- -Marie

"I'm good enough, but I don't care"-Smashing Pumpkins  "Ugly"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:38:39 EDT
From: TarintinoQ <TarintinoQ@aol.com>
Subject: the bff article from spin here it is

The piano man moves from indie culthood to those nice black turtlenecks

Spin: Are you ready to break out the champagne now that-after playing small
clubs for a decade-Whatever and Ever Amen, your second album, has gone Gold?

Ben Folds: I don't even know-I've been on vacation in Australia. It was pretty
cool to come back and have a couple of plaques. I'm just trying to decide what
I want to do next. Isn't that decision already made?

Hasn't your hit single "Brick" made you a burgeoning pop star, turtlenecked
behind a piano bench in your video, an unslick heir to Elton John and Billy
Joel?

That's what I'm trying to think about now. Everyone's got their calling about
what they're supposed to do, but I can't tell if that's what I'm supposed to
do-or if I have a choice. Do I let people down and go score independent films?
Can I do that?

You could. Don't you like performing?

Yeah, I do. And then I hate it. It feels like you're pursuing a political
career out there on the road. Like you're going out and garnering support
somehow. There must be benefits from waging that campaign. I make a living.
And I've always felt at home with a bit of a leadership thing going on.

Ben Folds, student council president?

No, I was never into stuff like that. But I usually end up the king of my own
little room.

People picture you sitting there, jamming Cole Porter and Irving Berlin,
right?

I probably couldn't name five pieces of music by either. I appreciate the form
and craft of that stuff, but it's never been something I sat down and listened
to.

What did you listen to as a kid?

I grew up in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and my father restored houses. A
lot of times he worked on rental properties in the bad section of town. At the
end of the month, people would just fucking leave-they'd be, like, gone.
There'd be no furniture, but a bunch of records would be laying on the floor.
Inevitably, they'd be Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Sam and Dave,
Ike and Tina Turner. That is all I ever heard, plus some more modern stuff,
like Earth, Wind and Fire and Sly Stone.

No Jerry Lee Lewis?

Maybe it's a generational thing, but when people would give me one of his
singles, I'd say, "Well, that's okay.  But Gratitude' by Earth, Wind and Fire
kicks my ass."

Your own music isn't R&B-slick.

I imply a lot of bass, drums, guitar, and other kinds of loud instruments when
I sit down at the piano. I tend to create a lot of noise with my left hand-
technically wrong notes, not harmonically correct.

Do you always wear a turtleneck when you play?

No, I hate 'em. I've never worn a turtleneck, except for that "Brick" video.
They feel like shit.

1997 ranking: -

James Hunter

well there it was

mcgregor
(im the guy that wants to play chavez on the buzz)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:48:17 EDT
From: WAVMaker2 <WAVMaker2@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #945

i certainly saw them on the Bacarach tribute!!!! They were awesome, that song
rocks and the little BFF twist just added to the flava.  BFF is gonna tear up
the DMB concert this June!!! I can't wait.  Does anybody know the next time
BFF will be appearing in TV?? Just wondering.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:57:09 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: "oh my God they Killed Kenny G!"

<< ok, my bad.  I've been told that Kenny G.'s actually from Idaho, not
 Canada.   >>
 Oh God damn!  No one knows where poor Kenny G's from?!  Oooooh The
horror!!!!! :) hehe
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:03:38 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>

<< OK, it appears I have angered some of you lovely Americans with my rant on
 the cack you have dished out to us. It seems that some of you think it's
 alright to slag off everything good about the UK, whilst expecting us
 placid, shy, reserved gentlemen and gentlewomen to just sit back, smile and
 take it.  >>

Oh Luke, not me,...hell no!!! I feel bad to be an American as long as Hanson
and *cough* Clinton are around!!! I'm shamed!!!

Looks like I'll be going to my first BFF concert after all! I can't wait.
Trouble is, cameras aren't allowed. This will seriously devastate me if I
can't have snaps of the boys avec moi!!!!  Any suggestions? Maybe I can hide a
camera in my armpit.
Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:06:18 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>

Oh yes, I was wondering if anyone taped "Raindrops" and will put in Real
Audio. PUL_LEASE!!!! I was at this stupid art exhibit with my grandparents and
missed the show!!!!  Splendors of Versailles will pay for this!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:09:56 EDT
From: Pansitikow <Pansitikow@aol.com>

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:22:08 EDT
From: Lglu <Lglu@aol.com>
Subject: GR, MI

May 26 I'll be at The Orbit Room in Grand Rapids, MI with a bunch of friends.
If anyone wants to meet before or after, e-mail me. :)

Laura

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:27:04 -0500
From: joe <jmcnulty@ou.edu>
Subject: A bit of trivia

Vaguely BF5 related:
The last song the Flaming Lips, whose song "Jelly" the Five cover, ever
played in their original line up, before Ron the guitarist left, was
Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.  It was the encore for the home show
here in Oklahoma City in the most drenching rainstorm I've seen.  And
now we come full circle to BF5 playing Raindrops on TV...hmmm.
Oklahoma Joe
Oh yeah, just to stay on topic...Ben Folds Five rules!!!! Peace, we
outta here!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:38:24 EDT
From: Debra1495 <Debra1495@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Burt Tribute

Was it just me, or were Burt and Darren laughing because Ben transposed the
lyrics to "Raindrops".  I am almost positive that the first verse is,
"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head, just like the guy whose feet are too big
for his bed."  The "eyes keep turning red" verse is later in the song.  I also
noticed Burt give a little nod to Ben when he re-sang it in the correct spot.

I can't imagine how stressful it must be to sit on the same stage as the
songwriter, and then flub the lyrics.  Obviously, they did a great job pulling
it off, as not too many seemed to noticed.  I think it was FANTASTIC
regardless.

Only 3 weeks till Vegas show!!!!!!!!

Deb

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:45:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: joeyk <z_kreidelrj@TITAN.SFASU.EDU>
Subject: dallas show and luke the brit

Hey! Does anyone know who is opening for the cool guys on this leg of the
tour, specifically at the Dallas show on May 15th? I haven't been able to
find out yet, and maybe one of you knows. Any help will be appreciated.

And to Luke the Brit - we aren't all Brit culture haters! Hell no, most of
what I like is from your part of the world. Your music, television (at
least old stuff like Monty Python and The Real Ones (is that the name of
it?)), and movies are all better than most of what we Americans do. I
don't know why, but I've always had a crush on your culture. Well, except
for the hygiene part.

joeyk

other bands:
Blur (British)
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
REM
They Might Be Giants
Radiohead (British)
Pogues (British)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:12:02 EDT
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: My fav bands other than BFF

Phish - Oh my god I love them!!!
Grateful Dead - Jerry was a god ( the early stuff was the best)
Aerosmith - Die Hard fan I have all their CDs (20+)
Skankin' Pickle - Really good ska!
Foxtrot Zulu - East coast band
moe. - Fucking Awesome!!
Lotus - Really Phat Local Band (Will tape a copy of their album for trade)
Sublime - 40oz to Freedom album is their best (again, the early stuff is
better)
Well these are just a few I could keep going if you would like...but I'll
stop, what are some of YOUR fav bands?

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:13:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Gugick <gugick2@TCNJ.EDU>
Subject: Y100 fest

>Hey guys--
 >    gugick2 said that there was going to be a V100 fest in Philly...with
>BF5
>playing. Does anyone know when that is because I'll be going to college
>there
>in the fall. I've seen them live before and I neeeed to see them
>again.So,if
>anyone has info....please post :-)
      -Melissa

All I know so far is that it is May 29th at the Blockbuster-Sony Pavilion
in Camden, NJ.  The announced so far are Everclear, Greenday, and Ben
Folds Five.  It'll be one of the usual radio fest shows where there is a
short set and stuff.  I never went to one here in the Philly area (I"m
from the NYC area, and I'm at school in Trenton), so I don't know too much
about them, but last year's had tons of bands and was only like $20.  I'll
post more info as soon as I know it.

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:57:23 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: japans fans

This is a call to the Japanese fans...Chiori? Are you still there?

I would like to ask a favor of a Japanese listie. I'm sure I can make it
worthwhile with tapes or $$$.

Please email off the list at             schander@juno.com

Michigan   Joe

p.s. I've got 20 people going with me to the show in Grand Rapids so far.
Anyone out there whose going whom I've never
met........................I'll even dig out the old "Uncle Walter" name
tag.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 01:03:40 EDT
From: LawneGirl <LawneGirl@aol.com>
Subject: Bff on Tnt

were the boys one of the first few acts?  because i heard it was on at 8 and
realized it started at 7:30 turned it on at about 7:45 when my piano lesson
was over and watched the whole thing from that point and they weren't on.
whadafaaa???