Issue #948 - April 18, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, April 18 1998    Volume 01 : Number 948

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    i seriously debate the fact that chris moyles is god.
    TORONTO SHOW!
    BFF on TOTP
    She's a brick... WOOoooOOOOOH!
    frustrations and surprises
    why doesn't she use jelly ?
    Are you from PERTH???

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:55:25 +0100 (BST)
From: Richard Cheng <richard.cheng@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: i seriously debate the fact that chris moyles is god.

  hell of a lot better than kevin bloody greening though.

> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:23:22 +0000
> From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
> Subject: CHRIS MOYLES IS GOD
>
> BRICK WENT IN AT NUMBER 26. Bargain

  yeah, but didn't BOWCCL get to twenty something? And still noone had
heard of them. cept all my friends. i force-feed bff to them. many
converts.

   rich

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:34:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: ralph kyatsu <inane_insane@yahoo.com>
Subject: TORONTO SHOW!

Ok so here's the info on the show it is still on and I have posted all
the info on my page it's under the pick info,eh?...check it out!...I
got my tix!

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/9956/bf5-1.html

ralph

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:05:34 +0100
From: "Marilyn Foster" <mf002@watford.net>
Subject: BFF on TOTP

Hi everyone.  I was just watching Top of the Pops and they were on, I
couldn't believe it.  Totally live and they more or less did the full
version.  Makes up for them not being on TFI.  And Chris Moyles is god
although I thought Battle got a ton of airplay just wasn't a big hit in the
charts.  Anyway I hope they follow Brick up with a really rockin song which
can sell a few.  See you

						Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:06:11
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: She's a brick... WOOoooOOOOOH!

oh my God.

They were just on Top of the Pops... after k-ci& jojo and Billie myers or
whatever (s)he's called.....
TOTP, for those "unfortunate" enough never to have seen this celebration of
music, consists of 298590 10-year olds wearing plastic dresses (the girls,
that is) swaying to "live" music such as the likes of Celine..

So anyway, they do have about 1 decent band on a week. Like Bff. They were
LIVE, which was fab, but the producers had obviously decided to enhance the
performance with the crowd going "woooOOOOooh" at various places, such as
"for the moment we're alone...""WoooooH!!".. yeah, thanks for that.
Ben's hair was slightly bed-head-ed and he was trying to surpress his
smiles at the "wooh!"'s... with a little modest smile at the end...ahhh!
And Rob looked really serious... and they hardly showed darren at all, damn
them. Anyway this is the first time i've seen them on tv in ages, and... wow!

thank you and good night
@nn@

Other favourite bands:
Silversun * Spacehog * Blur * Catatonia * Super Furry Animals * Radiohead *
Kenickie *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:20:22 PDT
From: "valerie hochschild" <charzi@hotmail.com>
Subject: frustrations and surprises

Hi Fivers.
   Don't know if I missed someone saying this in my lurking, but the
Beck/BFF/Sean Lennon show is on for Molson Amphitheatre June 3rd with
tickets on sale today (4/17).  Hope this isn't too late for people just
learning this.
   As for me, I'm a bit frustrated by this outdoor-festival-opening-slot
business.  I really like Beck, but i'm just one of those people (*are*
there other people like this?) who may really dig an act, but not really
feel like going to the trouble to see them live.  There are only a
couple of those for me, and BFF is one.  However, i have to consider
taking off work and going thru that wristband policy i don't understand
and going to the stupid Molson Amp. (most likely on the lawn) and drop a
ton of dough to see The Boys do an *opening* set?  I dunno.  I want a
big huge endless set - preferrably in in teensy club like the Horseshoe,
but maybe in a big club like the Phoenix again, or even a bigger theatre
(are they big enough for Massey Hall yet?  That would be cool.  Bloody
frigging Matchbox 20 gets to play Massey Hall!), or even on the bed of a
truck in a Wal-mart parking lot.  (If you've been questioning my
dedication, you don't know how much I hate Walmart.)  Maybe I'm being
picky or not enough of a fan?  This is a real debate in my head.  It's
just when it comes to these boys, I want all or nothing.  (Maybe I'm
still more American than I think :-))  Anyway, we should be able to
share such internal conflicts here, so there's mine.  If i don't make
it, i'm really sorry.  Thanks for bearing with me...if you have.
   As well, last weekend I was home in the States for the holiday and
Sunday we had the radio on and my 11-year old neice was singing along
with "Brick" (inevitable I figure).  I had a ticket stub of the TO show
in my wallet and showed her, and she thought that was cool. (heheh).
Then that night my mum and I were watching Larry Sanders and there They
were!  "Hey! That's that band you were talking about!" my mum says.
"Yeah, " I reply in wonder, "And there's the guy who wanted Dad's blue
penguin golf shirt!"  She was also impressed.  "Looks like he needed
it."  Sorry, not all women succumb to Robert's charms, i guess.

Peace and an allan wrench,
Valerie

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:57:29 +0200
From: Guillaume <dakoolguy@hol.fr>
Subject: why doesn't she use jelly ?

Hello all !!!!!!!!
I just got the Brick single with "She Dont Use Jelly" on it (and
"Missing the war" live) but I had a big problem when I wanted to sing
along with the CD: I dont speak english fluently. Anyone could help me
and send me the lyrics of "She dont use jelly" or at least tell me where
I could find them  ?
That'd be great! Thank you in advance!
Byyyyye,
    Guillaume, the frenchie fan !!!!!!

PS: you can still have a look at the BFF poll results at
Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (français & english):
http://www.mygale.org/10/drpyser

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:52:56 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Are you from PERTH???

hey, i got this great bit of info on my web page from someone, who is
apparently Australian. I'd love to post it, but the problem is that whoever
it was didn't leave a name or age or e-mail address!!
it could be the person's fault or the survey's (haven't had problems
before). So if you filled out the form, and this is you, please fill it out
again! i'd love to have you on the list! (or if you know who this is, mail
me):

"I saw the video of Underground a few years back and was totally enthralled
by the music and Ben's "Stayin'Alive" move when he starts the "get down"
bit.  I haven't seen them live because like other every great band that
comes to Perth, they had to play in a club (I was 17 at the time).  You
have to love a band that trashes an old grannies show, only to be told they
should have been replaced by some grouse Aussie talent on the show (Yeah!
Farnsey and Barnsey NOT)."

jess