Issue #951 - April 21, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, April 21 1998    Volume 01 : Number 951

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    posters, tickets, travels, concerts, boots, and non-bff...
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #949
    total request
    "you say Andy and I say Gordon,I say Summoner and you say Summers.Andy,Gordon"
    Life is good...
    GIT!!!
    Radio One bites!
    MANCHESTER (UK) 1997
    BFF COVER BAND
    Re: Ben's Armchair Q&A Session
    Re: BFF not covering the smiths
    Anarchy in the UK
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #950
    Video Killed the radio star
    Brick Promo CD single
    Who's the kid????
    jamboree, fave bands, etc.

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:46:35 EDT
From: aplauri@juno.com (Anthony P. Lauri)
Subject: posters, tickets, travels, concerts, boots, and non-bff...

hey all, got lots to say, listen up-

1-  i have an extra poster i came by at a local record store that i am
willing to trade.  offer anything you want but i dont think money wil cut
it, i dont want it.

2-  i know this is a long shot, but i just purchased tickets to see bff
at 'jamboree '98', i didnt however get the bestseats in the world.  they
are pavillion 2, section 203, row PP.  any possibility someone would be
willing to trade me some better ones???  i can prolly add in whatever you
need (money, buncha bootlegs, magazine clippings (got a lot!) stickers,
the above poster mentioned, possibly another if they are really worth it,
and i have a bunch of promo stuff)  please help me out if you are
willing....  i would REALLY appreciate it!!!

3- i will be going to japan in mid june and i was wondering if there are
any japanes fans on the list thatmay be able to tell me of any bootlegs,
singles, promo stuff, records, posters, etc.....  thanks.

4-  anyone going to see bff with beck on june 2, at pine knob????  lets
set something up so we can all meet up and talk when sean lennon is
playing..... (hope that wont bother anyone...  :)

5- looking VERY hard for a bootleg of the show from 2.16.98 at clutch
cargos in pontiac, MI.  also, another is 2.14.98 show in st louis.
thanks again  for any help....

6- and for a little non- bff content....  does anyone dig domestic
problems on this list???  just curious, good band from g.r....

well, thats about all for now, thanks for listening, and if you have any
comments, answers or tickets to trade, LEMME KNOW!!!

- -philip

''money talks, i hate to listen, but lately its been screamin in my ear"

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:09:16 -0400
From: Chris Cline <cacline@ComCAT.COM>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #949

Hello Fivers!
I don't often post, but after today's outing I wanted to share (so,
thanks for reading).
I just came back from NYC, and I was prepared for the lack of good
imports at Virgin and HMV, but I did manage to get some good stuff.
First, I picked up two mags at Virgin: Melody Maker (April 18th
edition), which has a cute, full-page article with the guys.  Plus a
great picture of them complete with cigars, martini glasses and funky
lens ware.  Definitely a article to check out (if you can't get it in
your area, email me personally and I'll try to transpose it). I also
picked up the May/June edition of DRUM magazine with a wonderful article
with the "shy one," (Ha).  For fans of the beautiful Mr. Jessee the
article is a treasure (not that Ben and Robert are not beautiful...I've
made it a ritual to explain to friends that it should be illegal to have
3 good looking, highly talented men in the same group).  But enough of
my school-girl crush talk, I'm in my mid 20's and I need to move on.
Anyway, I also snagged my second import version of "Brick" (which only
included one bonus track that I don't already own).  Lastly, I picked up
Barry Black's cd Tragic Animal Stories, which is pretty good.  Does
anyone own his eponymous album that Ben and Darren play on, and if you
do, is it good?  Well, thanks for sticking with me on this long
post...I'll go back to lurking now.

Peace, Love and Hope,
Anna

"I do the best imitation of myself..." BFF

P.S. I met Liam Neeson today as I went to see Cabaret, (not that I am a
big fan, but it was neat). - Random non BFF related thought that I
wanted to share.  Sorry.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:25:08 -0400
From: "John Felten" <Sammy7@gte.net>
Subject: total request

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD6BD9.A0B78960

Sorry, I actually thought there were like a lot of people in the armchair
and all of our votes could get BFF on there.  Now, I guess not.  Well, that
pretty much SUCKS!!

~Marie

My favorite bands:(since everyone else posts theirs)
Ben Folds Five
Everclear
Semisonic
Wallflowers
Foo Fighters

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:48:57 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: "you say Andy and I say Gordon,I say Summoner and you say Summers.Andy,Gordon"

<< Sting (ok, strictly speaking, Andy Summers >>
Hon, I agree with you, The Police rocked and you Brits have given us a lot,
but isn't Sting's real name, Gordon Summoner.  Isn't that what you were trying
to say?? :)  What does this have to do with BFF? Absolutely nothing! Shoot me!
:)
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:37:16 EDT
From: LoonyLiz <LoonyLiz@aol.com>
Subject: Life is good...

	So I just got back from a week of  at a children's home Mexico with my church
youth group...we drove down from northern CA (near San Francisco) to San
Vicente, Baja California, Mexico...and as SOON as we crossed the border our
group leaders took away our music.  Something about us needing to spend more
time talking to eachother and working on the ranch or whatever.  Anyhow,
needless to say that part of the trip was hell, I mean my music is like my
LIFE and I had to go withOUT it for a whole WEEK!  ARGH!  But the trip was
really fun, and they gave our stuff back when we reached San Diego on the way
home, so of course the first thing I listened to was BFF.
	Anyhow, I got home today and watched my tape of the shows I missed while I
was gone...I thought the Burt Bacharach tribute was a little weird, I mean
he's just a creepy kinda guy.  And he's not exactly a stellar songwriter in my
opinion, BUT he's definitely had an influence in the music industry.  And it
was really awesome to see BFF AND BNL all in one show.  God Jim looked soooooo
cute during "Close to You"  They all did.  I just love my Ladies.  And of
course da BFF boys were great as well!  I loved the rock-out ending.
	Count me in on the San Jose show...just got my tickets today! Well they came
in the mail when I was gone, but ya know I wasn't here and all...yeah.  I am
sooooo excited, it's my birthday present/party and it should be so much fun!
Maybe I'll see some of you there :)

Liz =o)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:58:05 +0000
From: "Luke Wilson"<Luke_Wilson@fwuk.fwc.com>
Subject: GIT!!!

Yes, to anyone, ANYONE who is going to the Y100 show in NJ, you are surely
the luckiest people alive. What a line-up!! BFF, Green Day, Cherry Poppin
Daddies and Cornershop?!? Christ!
Also, anyone for tickets to the Forum (that's 2 months and 9 days -
joygasm.), have you noticed the lack of those 3 words - with Special
Guests? Does this mean we'll have to wait till 9 - 9:30 for some
entertainment, or, ihopeiprayihopeipray are they playing a, wait for it,
extended set? Or, have they just not arranged it yet? Answers on the back
of a postcard, or sealed envelope to Blue Peter..... : )

Danke Schon

Luke

PS Fave bands, apart from BFF:
Crowded House
Blur
Green Day
Weezer
Jimi Hendrix Experience
and the token "who are they?" band - Spiritualized

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:40:46 +0100 (BST)
From: "M.C.Licata" <sfgva@westminster.ac.uk>
Subject: Radio One bites!

>  what, you want a moral? ok:
>
>   don't listen to radio one in the daytime. it bites.

I am sure all you Brits who happen to listen to the Breakfast Show on
Radio One (from time to time!) are aware of the fact that braindead Zoe Ball
has defined 'new band' Ben Folds Five 'FANTASTAIRK!'. Celebrity is THAT bad.

As to the Top Of The Pops appearance, were we the only ones who thought
Ben was itching to play something more uptempo?

Cristina

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:52:56 +0100
From: Toby Jenkins <toby@hereford.ac.uk>
Subject: MANCHESTER (UK) 1997

I went to see BFF last December at the student union in Manchester,
England (Hair). I was actually leaning on the stage right in front of
Robert Sledge, and right by me were this couple, a man and a woman.
They had whay looked like an original photo of one of the 5's previous
gigs, and they had both written their e-mail addresses on the back.
If either one of these people are out there, then please could you mail
me at the above address.
Thank you!
By the way, does anybody know if they are doing a tour of the UK any
time soon?

"I'm sorry. I can't give you any more monitor then that...it won't go
any higher than that, because the transistors and the resistors ... they
won't go any higher!"

finis!
Toby J.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:57:19 +0100
From: Toby Jenkins <toby@hereford.ac.uk>
Subject: BFF COVER BAND

In the summer, myself (drums) and my brother (bass) are thinking of
getting a bff cover band together. if there is anybody in the hereford
(longshot) area of the uk who is a good pianist (possibly a good
top-tenor singer too) please get in touch.
this is a fucking ridiculous request, but we could be bloody good!
thanks

"God damn i saw a god damn, fucking god damn!"
toby j

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:11:44 +0100
From: David.J.Holloway@student.shu.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Ben's Armchair Q&A Session

>Eric Matsuda <ejmatsuda@ucdavis.edu>
>Subject: Ben's Armchair Q&A Session

>Back in 1996 I believe, Ben took time out of his busy schedule to
>individually answer a whole bunch of questions that people on this list
>came up with.  Does anyone know if this is archived somewhere, and where i
>could I retrieve it?  There were a LOT of questions, I think.

Yeah, at my website Ben Folds Five: Helmet Heads
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/5009

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:04:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mitch Armbruster <marmbru@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: BFF not covering the smiths

> Deidre wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if BFF cover a Smiths song?  A friend of mine swears
> they do,   but I have yet to find anything.  If you know of such a
> recording,  please email me. =)

I have never heard of them covering one, but I think it is on the
Champaigne Supernova B-Side, you can hear Robert? say "Stop me, oh ha oh,
stop me", from Stop If You Think You've Heard This One Before.  Shortly
after this, I saw it posted on a Smiths website that BFF covered this
song, but I doubt it because no one has posted anything about it on the
Armchair.  But if they WERE to cover one, my vote would be for Shoplifters
of the World Unite.

- - Mitch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:04:36 GMT
From: "Mark Piper" <mfp540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Anarchy in the UK

Hi hi hi,

	Righto, let me see.... Not only missed BFF on Richard and Judy (my
God, she's back! And looking as beautiful as ever.... }:), but I miss
them on TOTP too. Now, that's not fair, because TOTP only ever has
pure shite, so I was caught off guard.

> Oh Luke, not me,...hell no!!! I feel bad to be an American as long as Hanson
> and *cough* Clinton are around!!! I'm shamed!!!

I missed the UK/US debate too, but let me get my (off-topic) word in
(and end it without a shadow of doubt). I was casually flicking
through teletext today, when I discover who holds the record for the
longest at #1 in the US album charts. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I
give you: BILLY RAY CYRUS!! Ha ha ha ha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhaha
hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa! 17 weeks you let that muppet stay there! Oh
dear, things will never be the same again... At least we had the
decency to ditch Wet Wet Wet from the top of the singles chart after
16 weeks.
	 On that note, I was just wondering if Americans use the
word "mullet" to describe that curious 3-in-1 haircut? Y'know, short
on the sides, spiky on top, long at the back, as worn by 90% of gents
who appear on Ricky Lake/Jerry Springer etc....

joeyk wrote:
> other band:
[snip]
> Pogues (British)

Erk, shouldn't let Gerry Adams hear you say that. Or any other Irish
folk for that matter.

This has gone on long enough....

Mark
|     mfp540@bham.ac.uk   pipermf@ugs2.ph.bham.ac.uk    |
|     Ben Folds Five: Looks, Brains & Everything -     |
|   http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/bff.html |

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:03:12 EDT
From: JGreenb106 <JGreenb106@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #950

In a message dated 4/19/98 10:49:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< Back in 1996 I believe, Ben took time out of his busy schedule to
 individually answer a whole bunch of questions that people on this list
 came up with.  Does anyone know if this is archived somewhere, and where i
 could I retrieve it?  There were a LOT of questions, I think.

I think you can find this on the "Helmet Heads" page at
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/5009/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:23:57 -0400
From: Mike Baltus <merlin@advdata.net>
Subject: Video Killed the radio star

If anyone has a copy of the bff cover of Video killed the radio star on mp3 please e-mail me.

thanks,
        -Mike

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:35:07 -0800
From: Truly <One_Angry_Dwarf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Brick Promo CD single

Hello, all. . .

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get a copy of the "Brick"
promo CD?  I have all the other US promo CDs, from "Underground" up
through "Song For The Dumped" but, somehow missed "Brick". . .

Thanks, and have a great week everyone!
- --
The next big thing?  If there is any justice in the music world, The
Decibels will be ruling the airwaves with the release of their first CD.  Go
here for more info: http://www.swiftsite.com/GI/decibels.htm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:59:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: vanvalnc@is2.nyu.edu (Chris Van Valen)
Subject: Who's the kid????

Hi all

On Friday, in the $2 bins, I picked up a demo single of SFTD which has the
album version and the radio edit("Well,       you too!"). Same store where
I got the Summer EP promo! Cute picture of a kid on the front and back
cover. Footnote on the back says "Thanks to Chance, Liz and Scott for cover
photo". So....who's the kid?

CV

If you have an unpleasant nature and dislike people
this is no obstacle to work. -- J.G. Bennett

Catch "Forever Knight" on the Sci-Fi Channel every
Tue-Thurs at 9PM and 1AM EST. -- Lucien LaCroix

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:46:41 -0500
From: "sjoson" <sjoson@reginadominican.pvt.k12.il.us>
Subject: jamboree, fave bands, etc.

Hello.  I got possibly the absolute worst tickets for Q101's Jamboree.  I'm
trying to be an optimist, saying "oh, at least I got tickets", but they're
in the far back left section of the World Music Theatre, row BBB.  Some
jerk who was going to Jamboree to see Creed (???) was first in line.
Although, band members have been known to wander the World before their
performances (Robert at HORDE, Adam Duritz at CCrows/Wallflowers, Korn's
Fieldy at Lollapalooza).  Is anyone else going?

This was a few weeks ago, but I read in Billboard that BFF and "Brick" were
nominated for Best Pop Video by the Music Video Association, or something.
Some other nominees were "Mungo City", "Bitter Sweet Symphony", and
"Criminal".

My five favorite bands:  Ben Folds Five, Nine Inch Nails, The Clash,
Radiohead, and Kula Shaker
                      artists:  Bob Dylan, Beck, Fiona Apple, Victoria
Williams, and Patti Smith

Did anyone go to the Spiritualized/Radiohead show at the Rosemont Theatre
or the Ani DiFranco show at IWU?  I did, and if you want to talk about it,
email me :)