Issue #953 - April 22, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, April 22 1998   Volume 01 : Number 953

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    How Fragile We Are
    Spiritualized, Radiohead, BFF Posters, and other random thoughts
    one more thing...
    I NEED the raindrops mp3!!!
    Spiritualized/Flans
    mullets
    five bands
    My favorite bands...
    Hello out there?!
    Julie and John!!!
    ill-bred Pogues
    Setlists
    Re: The whole andy/gordon thing
    Thieving b*****ds
    BFF bootlegs and whatnots...

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:20:10 PDT
From: "Chandra Hicks" <chanfifteen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #950

anybody buy the SNUZZ cd? i've been thinking about getting it, but
i want to know if it's any good first. buyers' caution, if you will.
any opinions on the thing?  oh poop, i was going to say something else
but i cant remember what the fuck it was.
chandra

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:50:49 EDT
From: FieryLox <FieryLox@aol.com>
Subject: How Fragile We Are

Sting=Gordon Sumner

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:31:35 EDT
From: DanDWarhol <DanDWarhol@aol.com>
Subject: Spiritualized, Radiohead, BFF Posters, and other random thoughts

just a couple things i wanted to throw in...in no paticular order:

to whoever posted in their favorite 5 bands Spiritualized, i just wanted to
say that i saw them open for Radiohead on April 18th at Radio City Music Hall.
They weren't bad...and very loud...Radiohead, for all those wondering, sucked.
They played one song off Pablo Honey and about 6 off OK Computer...since i
dont have the first album of their 3, id have to assume that the other 13
songs they played were either brand new or extremely old....regardless, i was
disappointed...

so i was in Belmar, NJ today...found a bff poster....2 actually....both promo
posters..one for NBP...just the cover of the album...at the bottom it has a
picture of the self titled album..that i didnt buy...but the one i did buy was
a navy blue poster of the band in concert...its all blurry..its another promo
poster...it was advertising WAEA...nevertheless, i like it..and it is shining
brightly on my wall...i didnt even think posters of any type existed, and i
found 2...go figure

aaron

5 (other) bands:
REM
Radiohead (despite the concert)
Dandy Warhols
Pulp
Midnight Oil

I march to the beat of an entirely different drummer. The problem is I think
he retired about 5 years ago. As a result, not only do I not march, I don't
move.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:34:44 EDT
From: DanDWarhol <DanDWarhol@aol.com>
Subject: one more thing...

i know i posted twice, but i forgot something...actaully, this is the reason i
posted...this Y100 festival...is it sold out? how would i go about getting
tickets? or, is anyone selling? just wondering..id really like to know....e-
mail me please....

beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice,

aaron

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:40:41 PDT
From: "garrett weindorf" <garrett32@hotmail.com>
Subject: I NEED the raindrops mp3!!!

I really need the "raindrops keep fallin on my head" mp3 from  the
bacharach tribute...the one on the bf5 audio archive page is
corrupt....email me if you know where i can get it...thanks..

 garrett

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:44:47 EDT
From: Rocket no8 <Rocketno8@aol.com>
Subject: Spiritualized/Flans

i haven't posted much lately, and not usually off-topic, but i just wanted to
say a couple things:
<< and the token "who are they?" band - Spiritualized >>
i've been a fan of Spiritualized since last summer when i saw them at
Horde(sadly not a show BF5 played), and i was very disappointed when tickets
sold out before i could get them to see them play with Radiohead.
~
on friday i went to see They Might Be Giants, the only band that i've seen who
are more fun live than BF5(no offense to them, they just don't do stuff like
get the audience to start a conga line).  after the show i got to meet John
Flansburgh and he signed a couple things for me, although i didn't get to ask
about the SFTD video he directed or if TMBG would tour with BF5 in the near
future.
- -zander
"it's a good thing that there's a physical barrier between us, because i
really wanna hold you right now"-me to a very sweaty John Flansburgh

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:50:37 EDT
From: Corrin108 <Corrin108@aol.com>
Subject: mullets

In a message dated 98-04-20 21:49:53 EDT, someone write:

<< On that note, I was just wondering if Americans use the
 word "mullet" to describe that curious 3-in-1 haircut? Y'know, short
 on the sides, spiky on top, long at the back, as worn by 90% of gents
 who appear on Ricky Lake/Jerry Springer etc....  >>

whaoh.....mullets rule! in my experience, most people know waht they
are...except for anyone who has one....which is good for mullet sightings so
taht they dont know yr talking about them.
sorry this is irrelevent to BF5, but it seemed important.

Corrin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:13:06 -0700
From: MATTHEW KEITH WARNICK <1WARNIMA@UVSC.EDU>
Subject: five bands

Five bands--

1. Counting Crows
2. Weezer
3.  The Rentals
4. The Smiths
5. Smoking Popes (everyone should know this band)
6. (alternate-if you hate one of the others) Cake

mk=w=

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:15:01 PDT
From: "garrett weindorf" <garrett32@hotmail.com>
Subject: My favorite bands...

a few of my favorite bands/artists...

 ben folds five
 the beatles
 Jerry Lee Lewis
 carl perkins
 elvis
 elton john
 leon russell

 well--there you go...

  ---garrett---

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:08:56 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Hello out there?!

Hey, seems to me that some people on the MA are not aware of the Ben Folds
Five International Fans Page.

Basically, it's a list of all the fans from different countries. So far,
we've got 10 countries represented.

If you live outside the continental US, you can sign up wo be featured on
the list.

If you are a person who loves BFF, from anywhere, you can fill out a form
to get a "Ben" Pal.

we're now on the Underground Webring.

Also, a side not on my pages, if you like to WRITE or even READ< check out
THE SHRUBBERY. You will get a laugh.

thanks
jess

        I'm not just naked, I'm Naked for Jesus!!!
        *      --+-Read The Shrubbery-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
        --New Every Month- -Humor, News and More--

         * Ben Folds Five International Fans Page *
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/fans.html
       --Get a "Ben" Pal-  -Now Spans 8 Countries--

         *     Cousin Jess's World Wide Mess      *
   http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814
     --Tape Trading- Way Cool Links- Literary Madness--

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:10:00 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Julie and John!!!

Julie "anti-Gavin"hurst and John Maynard....

Please e-mail me, i can't get your addresses right!!!!!

thanks so much.
back to your regurlarly scheduled Ben things.

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:36:52 -0500 (CDT)
From: joeyk <z_kreidelrj@TITAN.SFASU.EDU>
Subject: ill-bred Pogues

> joeyk wrote:
> > other band:
> [snip]
> > Pogues (British)
>
> Erk, shouldn't let Gerry Adams hear you say that. Or any other Irish
> folk for that matter.

While the sound of The Pogues was very Irish (among other things), as a
band they were based in England, and most of the band members from
England. And I didn't realize Mr. Adams was a fan. But they can't
complain, they've got The Chieftains.

On a BFF note:
When is Ben supposed to begin his solo album? Personally, I think it'd be
an exciting venture for him, also for us as listeners, if he did a
"techno" or electronica album. With the band they could put mold a sound
comparable to The Propellorheads. Ben produces so much energy with his
piano, give him damn machines and he'll short out New York City. Why
should we laugh at his idea to make a techno album, when sp many people
surely laughed at him when he said "I'm gonna put together a piano rock
group!"

other faves (i've done this once, but what the hell):

Belly, Operation Ivy, Black Grape, James, Supergrass

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:37:07 +0000
From: "Luke Wilson"<Luke_Wilson@fwuk.fwc.com>
Subject: Setlists

Fellows fivers

Now, I've seen BFF only twice (1st July 1997 and 11th December 1997, both
at Shepherd's Bush), but each time I have noticed a scary omission. Now I
appreciate this subject may have already been covered, but why on God's
green earth did/do they not play Uncle Walter or Sports & Wine? The first
time I saw them, I procured a set list - and their last song was meant to
be Uncle Walter - but they didn't play it. Please, enlighten me.

Cheeribye

Luke

"Hey mister, there's a hole in my arm where all the money goes,
Jesus Christ, died for nothing, I suppose"
                              Spiritualized

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:37:52 EDT
From: Waterspyn <Waterspyn@aol.com>
Subject: Re: The whole andy/gordon thing

So y'all get it correct---Sting=Gordon Sumner, not "Summoner."  Summoner is in
the title of one of Sting's albums, "Ten Summoner's Tales," but Sumner is his
actual last name.  And so that this isn't raised later, he acquired the
nickname Sting because of a black and yellow striped soccer jersey he used to
wear/

Keith
My fave five (Might as well...)
AEROSMITH
Dream Syndicate/Steve Wynn Quartet (see them on tour now!)
Concrete Blonde
Smokey And The Miracles
Ben Folds Five

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:36:33 GMT
From: "Mark Piper" <mfp540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Thieving b*****ds

Hi hi hi

> I just came back from NYC, and I was prepared for the lack of good
> imports at Virgin and HMV, but I did manage to get some good stuff.
> First, I picked up two mags at Virgin: Melody Maker (April 18th
> edition),

Oh yeah, bloody great that. So I can't get a copy of MM for love nor
money over here in Britain, where the bloody thing is published, but
folks in NYC can pick it up!

> << Sting (ok, strictly speaking, Andy Summers >>
> Hon, I agree with you, The Police rocked and you Brits have given us a lot,
> but isn't Sting's real name, Gordon Summoner.

Gordon Sumner, I think you'll find....

Mitch wrote:
> Shortly  after this, I saw it posted on a Smiths website that BFF covered
>this song, but I doubt it because no one has posted anything about
>it on the Armchair.  But if they WERE to cover one, my vote would be
>for Shoplifters of the World Unite.

"Bigmouth Strikes Again". I can just hear Darren doing the
high "bigmouth" over the chorus.

> This was a few weeks ago, but I read in Billboard that BFF and "Brick" were
> nominated for Best Pop Video by the Music Video Association, or something.

*choke*. Forgive me, but isn't the Brick video the most tedious thing
you've ever seen in your life? IMHO, of course.

Mark
|     mfp540@bham.ac.uk   pipermf@ugs2.ph.bham.ac.uk    |
|     Ben Folds Five: Looks, Brains & Everything -     |
|   http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/bff.html |

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:07:42 -0400
From: Jennifer Braggin <jmb5@lehigh.edu>
Subject: BFF bootlegs and whatnots...

Hello, all!  I am a big fan of the BFF!  However, I can't seem to find
anyone to trade tapes with.  I have no BFF bootlegs.  I'm a big Pearl
Jam collector, though.  I would love to either:  trade a PJ boot for a
BFF boot, or, if at all possible, find a kind soul who I could send a
few blank tapes to (with $2 for S&H) so that I might hear what it is
like to be at a BFF concert.  I'll be at my first one at Giant's Stadium
(even though I'm not a big fan of DMB)!

Anyway, if anyone would be willing to help me out, I would LOVE it and
really appreciate it!  And just to add my musical opinion to the list,
here are my top 5 favorite bands/musicians OTHER than BFF (they would be
#2 on my list):  1.Pearl Jam, 2.Lotion, 3.Soul Coughing/Rage Against the
Machine (I couldn't decide), 4.Buffalo Tom, 5.Benny Goodman...plus 100x
others...I just love music in general!

Jen
jmb5@lehigh.edu