Issue #955 - April 22, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, April 22 1998   Volume 01 : Number 955

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    HMV
    the funny ringing in stevens
    Video Killed The Radio Star / My brit friends
    center cityfest, anyone?
    I wanna be... uh, Caroline!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #951
    BFF singles and b-sides

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:43:01 -0400
From: santonan@student.umass.edu
Subject: HMV

I went to NYC this past Saturday- to see Radiohead at Radio City, it was
an unbelievable show!! I could have sat there for hours and just listened
to them play!!..also I saw Matt Pinfield at MTV and gave him a little
wave, and he actually waved back!! He's the only MTV Vj I respect, I
entered that contest, to be a VJ, but didn't get picked, oh well.-
Anyhow..I went to HMV and there were three different versions of the Brick
single..I didn't know which one to choose, so I didn't even buy one. I was
practicing depriving myself of happiness that day apparently. If I had to
buy two of them..which should I chose? Feel free to email me with your
suggestions..and for all you Seinfeld lovers out there..I went to the
actual Soup Nazi's place, he's not open on Saturday, but for some reason
he was in there, and he's really mean.

Sarah ;)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:19:50 -0500
From: "sjoson" <sjoson@reginadominican.pvt.k12.il.us>
Subject: the funny ringing in stevens

Maybe I'm a complete moron, but does anyone else ever reach to pick up the
phone upon hearing a faint ringing towards the end of stevens last night in
town?  I know it's there, but I reach for the phone every time.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:09:04 +0200
From: Guillaume <dakoolguy@hol.fr>
Subject: Video Killed The Radio Star / My brit friends

Hi fivers !!!!!
Just a couple of things today:
1) I've heard a lot about BFF performing Video Killed The Radio Star. Is
it the same song that is on the last album of "The Presidents of the
USA" ? Who performed this song first? Was it written by "The Presidents
of the USA" ? Forgive me for my lack of american music culture ...
2) I wanted to add my little comment to the American vs. Brits debate
:))) Well, I am neutral and have nothing against both, I like the brits
a lot but it'd be better if they could stop calling us (the frenchies):
"frogs"

That's all folks : )
    Guillaume, the french BFF fan ; )

- --
   Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (The best french site ever about BFF
since it's the only one ; )):   http://www.mygale.org/10/drpyser

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:59:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: center cityfest, anyone?

Howdy folks.  Before my head spins off of my head from all the work I'm
trying to keep up with, I thought I'd post a little note asking if anyone
is going to Center Cityfest.  I was thinking we could arrange a big happy
meeting of BFF lovers, so e-mail me (w/o the nospam part, of course) if
you're interested!

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@nospam.unc.edu
 ) (   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance
 (o)   GO HEELS!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:32:51
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: I wanna be... uh, Caroline!

I was reading The Dog's Bollocks (the free Devon-and-cornwall studenty
magazine thing), and lo and behold, a review of Brick, and their other,
lesser-known singles....
"Comparisons with Elton John or Billy bloody Joel can finally be ditched as
Ben Folds Five deliver a tune that doesn't consist of a slow piano
singalong that crashes headlong into a fast tinkling the ivories chorus.
This is a bit slower than previous singles such as CAROLINE and THE BATTLE
OF WHO COULDN'T CARE LESS, and provides a welcome respite from the guitar
barrage of the month's other releases. BFF are that rare band who could
sound equally at home in a bar or playing at a stadium, and this is a
pretty inventive effort."

Caroline, huh? Pretty inventive effort... :)

ok, while i'm here, any Australians wanna mail me and tell me what happens
in Neighbours? Does Karl *really* have an affair with Sarah and get her
pregnant?
.... i'm actually serious....

it's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from him,
@nn@

:::: "You're not the only one i love, you think you're someone sent from up
above" ::::

PS> Thom Yorke went to my local uni (Exeter) and used to dj in the
cafeteria there! <irrelevant trivia

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:12:37 PDT
From: "Chandra Hicks" <chanfifteen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #951

bff kickz. i can't wait till they come to WA again.  oh yeah, am i the
only girl out there with a tremendous urge to jump robert?  that sounds
very vulgar, but anna was saying how she bought a drum magazine and
there was darren. oh la la
my fave bands
hanson
spicegirls
puffy
madonna
(for the love of god i'm kidding)
i love jessee, the new mtv vj!!! he is so trippy.

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:56:01 -0400
From: Christine Killius <christine.killius@sheridanc.on.ca>
Subject: BFF singles and b-sides

Hi,

I just had a question about BFF singles and B-sides.  How many singles have
been released by Ben Folds Five and what are they?  Ditto for the B-sides
please..I saw the single for Brick & one other song..that song "Theme from
Dr.Peysor"(?) was on the Bside of one of the singles.  I'm interested in
hearing the Bsides; trying to collect them..

Well, please e-mail me if you know..:)

I don't really have favourite bands; only bands that I listen to a lot.
Which are:

(in no particular order)
*Ben Folds Five
*Blur
*The Killjoys (band from Canada)
*Our Lady Peace (Canadian band)

I really also like the Foo Fighters, Live, Bush, and Third Eye Blind.
(please don't e-mail to tell me that I like only mainstream rock bands
because that's not true..you haven't seen all the other bands<G>)  Oh yeah
and Oasis are pretty cool :)

TTYGL,
Christine