Issue #961 - April 26, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, April 26 1998     Volume 01 : Number 961

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Re: Teleconned
    sorry about the bad trader thing
    Top Five?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #959
    [none]
    Bootlegs
    Re: Import singles
    hate mail? sure why not spark a war!
    shreek of the week....
    nashville
    armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
    A couple of things
    wow
    [none]
    bootlegs and such
    The Bitch Song
    underground pt. 2
    ?
    horde festival
    BFF WEBRING

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:00:05 EDT
From: Pianogtar <Pianogtar@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Teleconned

As I read someones post about this C.D. I would like to let everyone know that
this C.D. doesn't come out until May 5th.  It will feature B.F.F, Ani
Difranco, Soul Coughing and 9 other bands (i think) the website that the
preview of this disk is on is www.radiodiversity.com.  I also aggreed with
Ben's comment about radio underestimating it's listeners.  Of couse I live in
an area where this radio station has great potential, but they are kissing so
much corperate ass and putting on the Air from what this magizine called R&R
tells them to. I even asked them to play bff and they told me that he sucked.
Of course they can worship all the new metalica, and repeatingly play 3am. But
I am ok about that because I can go out and buy cd's to listen to in my car
and lower their ratings.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that thier dj told me that the new dmb was a
corperate joke and they were not playing it. But I did find it funny how they
were playing it a week after I sent that email.

later from here
gdt
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Pianogtar/spwa.html">SPWA</A>
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Pianogtar/index.html">Pianogtar's Home Page
</A>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:24:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: sorry about the bad trader thing

...but i'm STILL waiting for kim habovick to honor her trade with me (for
which i sent her a one-of-a-kind crows cd in addition to the
tape-for-tape trade) for a tape of NAKED BABY PHOTOS which was to be sent
to me A MONTH BEFORE ITS RELEASE.
i'm starting to wonder if she CHEATED me! ya think?

kim habovick??? a nice college girl from the ARMCHAIR?
i've emailed her repeatedly, and even called her house, and i still can't
get what she owes me -- even blank tapes -- in trade, or get my cd back.

makes ya kinda lose faith.
wonder when i should give up. six months after it became obvious that she
was a cheat and a liar? a year after she screwed me? you tell me.

judi smith                                   everyone here is wondering
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                 what it's like to be with somebody else
                                            and everyone here's to blame
would you catch me if was falling?        everyone here gets caught up in
kiss me if i was leaving?                     the pleasure of the pain
hold me cause i'm lonely without you?                 -- back 2 good
           -- counting crows                               matchbox 20

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:35:32 EDT
From: BuzDun <BuzDun@aol.com>
Subject: Top Five?

So this is where we tell the world what our top 5 favorite bands beside the
ubiquitous BFF, is it...

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Seventy Sevens
Marillion
and at #1...

Daniel Amos (sometimes known as DA or The Swirling Eddies. My secret is
revealed.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 23:33:45 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #959

"NO SUPPER FOR YOU!---BF

Lucy
*Emaline*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:01:57 -0400
From: santonan@student.umass.edu
Subject: [none]

Well after waiting for the "Brick" single to come out, I finally got two
of them today from Newbury comics. I got the one with Missing the War and
the other one with Song For the Dumped in Japanese..which is cool stuff.
So, I was looking at the concert dates on Frank's page, and hey..whaddya
know..June 11th is still open, as is that following weekend.. :)

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:44:55 EDT
From: HAM12HAM <HAM12HAM@aol.com>
Subject: Bootlegs

Ive been a Ben Folds Five fan for 2 years now and i have never even attempted
to get a bootleg. So i have no bootlegs to trade,but..
I will pay $$$$$$ for anyone who can sell me some bootlegs(especially the feb
20 show at hammerstein0
E-mail me privately

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:48:05 -0400
From: Adam Tyner <ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Import singles

At 02:06 AM 4/25/98 +0200, Magical Armchair Digest wrote:

>I really hate to bother the armchair but its become unavoidable. You see,
i've been looking for
>the BFF single BOWCCL pt. 1 for some time now and nobody seems to still
have it. Borders

<snip>

If you're looking for rarities, import singles, etc., go to
http://gemm.com/ and search for Ben Folds Five.  Pretty much everything
imaginable can be found there, except bootlegs...

- -Adam
/----=========================================================----\
             http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/
The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more!
   Demented music list admin           O-         MiSTie #67,326

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:42:51 -0700
From: Michael Nardi <"nardim@gvsu.edu"@gvsu.edu>
Subject: hate mail? sure why not spark a war!

ok i agree that sending a sales pitch across the armchair was wrong, but
if we send hate mail to this person, he is likely to retaliate...why not
just leave it alone...and if you see another post like that one trying
to sell something, do what i do, scroll past it! whats the bother??
thats all i have to say...

my 5 favorite bands,
1.) Ben Folds of course
2.) Domestic Problems
3.) Dave Matthews
4.) Mustard Plug
5.) tie between Rusted Root, and Barenaked Ladies

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:00:16 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com
Subject: shreek of the week....

wow, last night on 105.1 'the edge' (a local trendy station here in good
'ol detroit area.....  i think it is based in ann arbor) ben folds five
won 'shreek of the week.'

anyway, they have been playing song for the dumped A LOT, and then last
night, all the dj's and 40% of the listeners voted it shreek of the
week... this basically means it is the most wanted/liked song by the
radio staff and listeners.  i was impressed, and quite happy cause it
beat out that horrible new DMB 'dont drink the water' that everyone seems
to go head over heels for (no offense to any DMB fans on the list, i like
the older stuff), and a bunch of other new songs.  i figured if they are
going to HAVE TO release a follow up to brick, its great that people like
it and enjoy it.....  if there gonna get big, they might as well do it in
style.

10-4
philip

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:50:56 EDT
From: SyN3RG3 <SyN3RG3@aol.com>
Subject: nashville

hey,
does anyone know when BFF is playing at nashville river stages? i got my
tickets in the mail today, but no band list or anything.. if anyone knows who
is playing & when .. or where i can find out, please e-mail me.. thanks!
celine

want to trade?
http://members.tripod.com/~XcarsonX/index-2.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:52:39 EDT
From: Jupiter679 <Jupiter679@aol.com>
Subject: armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:28:46 +1000
From: Anna <annab@student.unsw.edu.au>
Subject: A couple of things

Hey Beautiful People!

Just wanted to share a couple of things.

A local radio station, 9inety6ix.1 is giving away WAEA cds on their morning
show. I guess they are really digging BFF. Apparently, according to my
brother-in-law, they are playing Ben Folds Five all the time.

I looked at the ARIA charts the other day and Brick is no 7 on the
alternative chart and has broken through the national top 40 as well. They
are on 38. WAEA is in the top 40 albums as well.

I went to Brashs the other day. A record store which is going bust. Anyway
I saw a BFF poster so I asked the guy at the store for it but he wouldn't
give it to me. Apparently they are quite expensive, so he says. Brashs is
closing down anyway, why couldn't he just give it to me?

They need to releases some posters. I've been looking for ages and whenever
I find one, I'm not allowed to have it.

Anyway, seeya
Fellow BFF Fan in Oz

Anna

Beatles, Crowded House and of course Ben Folds Five are just the greatest!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:26:58 +0100 (BST)
From: ER Burningham <u7g83@ugg.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: wow

'ello

it's scary hearing brick so much you know - like i was in the changing
rooms in this shop and brick cmae on - i nearly died......
anyway, in nme, there is an article but it's just a little interview with
ben, quite funny, but i thinnk the metion on the front was a bit of a con. i
think you were drunk to whoever asked :)
what's thisthing in spin????? what edition, i saw a copy of the mag in hmv
the other day but it was sealed so i couldn't flick through....

anyone going to glastonbury ??????????????
bff are confirmed.......
i'm going, if you are then e mail me.... it'd be cool if lots of people
go....

5 bands

radiohead
eels
ether
my life story
the montrose avenue

em

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:06:39 -0500
From: Kristi Bennett <n.bennett@worldnet.att.net>

hey bf5-heads!!
i was wondering if anyone on this lovely armchair, are going to Point Fest
in st.louis.....i just got my tickets yesterday, and i was just wondering
who was going...email me if you are....later ~Kristi~

"Fare thee well, i love you more than words can tell"
~Greatful Dead~

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:07:04 -0500
From: "Radio Star" <jibbers@ivi.net>
Subject: bootlegs and such

Hey everyone!  This is Mark speaking.. I am a Ben Folds Five trader of
bootlegs and I am offering open requests for trades!  Just email me at
jibbers@ivi.net and let me know what trade you want to work out.  Newbies
are welcome, as well.  thanks.

thanks again,
mark

  "Some succeed because they are destined to.
Most succeed because they are determined to."
- -Unknown
"You can be positive, no matter what. Don't deny your problems, and don't
let them deny you."
- -- Ralph Marston

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:23:58 EDT
From: Jen116nyc <Jen116nyc@aol.com>
Subject: The Bitch Song

I have a question about "The Bitch Song," what exactly is the deal with this
song? Is it another improvised song that the guys made up while performing
live? I know they played it at the NYC show at the Hammerstein ballroom and
Ben said it was off their new album. Which it isn't if he meant NBP, but it
could be if he meant some forthcoming album. I'm thinking that maybe mis-
informed people would request SFTD by yelling out "play the Bitch song?" Is
this a remote possibilty? I hope this isn't a dumb question that everyone else
already knows the answer to, and if it is I apologize. If you have a clue
about the song e-mail me, please. Thanks.
Oh, and my more than 5 Favorite bands (other than bff):
Sebadoh
Superchunk
Beastie Boys
Pavement
Mr. T Experience
Radiohead
Wyclef Jean
Frank Sinatra

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:50:41 -0400
From: bf5 <bf5@SURRY.NET>
Subject: underground pt. 2

Hi y'all,
  If anybody has a copy of Underground Pt. 2, or knows where I can get a
copy please mail me privately.

Thanks in advance,
\ \/ /
~\/\/hitney  =o)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 17:57:17 -0230
From: "Andrew Fifield" <andrew.the.great@thezone.net>
Subject: ?

	Hello all, I've dedicated the past few days to finding an MP3 of "Video
Killed The Radio Star" but I have failed miserably. If anyone knows where I
could find it just mail me privately or post it, whatever.

	And to jump on the bandwagon:

	5 bands other than Ben Folds Five:

	1. Radiohead
	2. Ween
	3. The Tragically Hip
	4. The Cure
	5. Hayden

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:20:02 EDT
From: luckyday6@juno.com (Jason A Masi)
Subject: horde festival

will bff be playing at the horde festival this year again? last year was
crazy and it would rock if they play again. if u have any info please
e-mail me thanks
- - Fiver

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:24:17 -0400
From: "John Felten" <Sammy7@gte.net>
Subject: BFF WEBRING

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD707F.BD8F8920

HEY, I HAVE A NEW BEN FOLDS FIVE WEB PAGE, AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE
COULD TELL ME HOW TO BE ON THE BEN FOLDS FIVE WEBRING.  I'D REALLY
APPRECIATE A RESPONSE, THANKS A LOT.

~MARIE

"I guess it's cool to be alone"-Battle of Who Could Care Less