Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Duke show review!

Howdy again, folks!  Yes, it's two BFF shows in three days for me and I'm
loving it since I'll see them two more times before the end of May.  But
anyway, on to the important stuff.  This show rocked my face like outer
space!!!!  It was probably the best show I've seen, definitely right up
there w/ the Cat's Cradle show in November.  Here's the story:  I went to
Dook and met up with some people and then we headed down to the show.
Shark Quest was the opening band...they weren't really anythi worth
mentioning...except I do think their drummer is the same guy from Venus
Fly Trap Girls (remember them?!).  Once again the boys sounded great.  Ben
was sick, though, he said he'd gone to get a manicure and the sight of his
cut nails made him pass out (he clipped a nail onstage while telling us
this), but apparently he really did have to go to the hospital today b/c
he passed out.  Poor guy, he still managed to rock for 90 minutes, though.
Okay, here's the set list: (oh yeah, it's not really in
order or anything) Dr. Pyser, Battle, Philosophy, Selfless, Freebird,
Missing the War, Fair, Steven's, Julianne, Brick, The Last Polka, Video,
Song for the Dumped, One Angry Dwarf, Jackson Cannery (not as retired as
we thought it was, I guess), a wonderful country jam with Your Cheatin'
Heart, Take this Job and Shove it, and some song about his beer letting
him down (I don't know the title), a song they made up about a guy who
took Robert's friend's Scott's hat and then gave it back when Rob said
something to the crowd about it, some jamming at the end of SFTD that I am
affectionately dubbing the Robert Sledge Bow Bow Song (he was just going
bah bow, bah bow bow bow bah bow, etc. and when it was over he said that
he used to be in Phish :) ), and finally, the best moment of the night, I
got to hear the debut of Air, from the Godzilla soundtrack!!  It is a
great tune, starts of ballady, then picks up speed, I loved it!  There
just isn't much more to say...the crowd was decent for a bunch of drunk
undergrads, of course they all went crazy for Brick and SFTD and OAD got
pretty decent reactions, too.  I didn't get to talk to the guys after
because they more or less fled.  One of the guys I was with waited around
and got to see Ben long enough to shake his hand, but I didn't worry about
it.  This show was simply incredible and best of all it was absolutely
free, I had a great time and now I *REALLY* can't wait for Austin!

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance