Issue #1011 - May 22, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Friday, May 22 1998     Volume 01 : Number 1011

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...
   Accordingly, very soon I will begin purging the mailing list of any
address that bounces for any reason (e.g., too many hops, mailbox full,
no route to host), not just 'user unknown'. If you find yourself
unsubscribed, this is probably the reason.

THANKS A THOUSAND
   With the passage of 1,000 issues of the Armchair I'd like to thank
everyone for their contributions to the success of the list. We have a great
group of fans and the band is very appreciative of your support.

    teenyboppers/concert etiquet/brickheads suck t-shirts
    OK, we're all asking you to stop it.  Thank you for you cooperation.
    looking for Air...]|[...Gigolo Aunts also
    re: People on The Armchair web-page
    short people
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1004
    Song For The DumpED!
    you so stupid!!!
    SPAC show
    Air
    Toronto and Toronto...
    Video Taping, and Torn Gardens
    indianapolis show
    RE: Y100 FEZtival
    Re: MP3 sightings + General L Inks

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:06:11 EDT
From: Zyah <Zyah@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1004

Question:  How many songs do they think they'd typically play at a festival,
and which ones?  Has anyone seen them at a festival?  Unfortunately I couldn't
go to see them in concert, so I'm willing to settle for the festival.

Question: Sessions at West 54th---What is this?!  Someone tell me, please. :)

- --Texas Yankee (what's your real name, I feel weird saying that!)--
I liked your concert etiquette, especially rule # 2: "If you are considered
tall, let the short people get in front of you!"  Because I'm considered
short, and this one concert I went to, I spent the whole damn time on my toes,
moving my head trying to see around all the big hair puff people.  I was
seriously considering just asking someone if I could get on their shoulders or
something. :)

- --Curt--
2 things:
1.  I like your taste in music. :)
2. Did they have a lot of those imports on South Street?  I may be going there
soon.

Ok, if the other Lauren is Lauren Super Bitch...should I just be plain Lauren?
Or how about Lauren, the Selfless, Cold, and Composed one.   :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:37:11 EDT
From: TarintinoQ <TarintinoQ@aol.com>
Subject: teenyboppers/concert etiquet/brickheads suck t-shirts

ok. there is no specific age for the Brickheads i have seen tons of them that
are in
college. I'14 and have been with BFF since there days at Ziggys when i was
11(my uncle owns it). And it's pissing me off at how all of these people are
getting pissed at
the shorter younger kids even if they dont know if they are Brickheads or
not.if you're going to judge this talk to them first or see how loud they
sicream and sing when songs like best imitation....., or twin falls  or uncle
walter  comes on.

and for etiquet or however you spell it. superdave is right he shouldnt have
to move back because some little kid cant see.there is no etiquet at concerts
unless you're at the opera

and finally my friend and i made a shit load of brickheads suck t-shirts which
we will be selling at the Gaints stadium show with DMB and beck and at the K-
rock dysfunctional family at jones beach

mcgregor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:29:24 EDT
From: YourPalCM <YourPalCM@aol.com>
Subject: OK, we're all asking you to stop it.  Thank you for you cooperation.

<< No, I
 screamed because I was overcome with emotion.  It was like living in a
 Hallmark commercial, I just couldn't hold back.  From then on I was hooked.
 had to scream at least four, five times a concert.  It's like a drug I tell
 ya.  My most recent screaming moment was on May 10th 1998 at the Ben Folds
 Five concert in Mountain View, California.  Ben, Rob, and Darren took the
 stage, and suddenly I had no control over my vocal chords.  Music, especially
 music that I love, has a power over me like nothing else.  It can make me do
 the craziest things, and the best part is that when I'm lost in my own little
 world I'm indifferent to most of what is going on around me, and I'm having
 the time of my life.  It's like being naturally high.  If you're standing in
 front of me at a concert some day and you want me to stop screaming in your
 ear, all you have to do is ask. >>

Screaming is like a drug?  (Now I've heard everything.)  Please seek rehab.
And for those around you who did not ask you to stop screaming, please know
that just because they didn't ask you to stop doesn't mean they didn't care if
you screamed in their ears.  Some people are just very uncomfortable asking
others that they don't know to stop annoying them, and would rather suffer
than have confrontation.  They still wanted you to stop - so please, I ask you
as a spokesman for all of those people who hate confrontation - stop it.

I'm all for having a good time, jumping up and down and singing along, but
there is a point where you cross the line - screaming in someone's ear because
"it is like a drug" seems to fall on the wrong side of th line - and it amazes
me how many people don't care if they cross it.

Thank you,
Your Pal,
Chris Mal

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:36:46 EDT
From: FineExampl <FineExampl@aol.com>
Subject: looking for Air...]|[...Gigolo Aunts also

hiya kiddies!
i havent posted in a while....so here i am!
i noticed someone not long ago had posted an address with a MP3 of Air!
can someone email me that address??
i dont have the cash to buy the CD so this would be kinda cool!
HAHAHA....i finally found a good quality way of tranferring my minicassette
bootlegs to Standard and/or digital!!! i rock!
and all along i had the tools sitting right next to me!
go fig!
my last and by far best bootlegs are of The John Easdale Group and i do think
they rock!  now if i can only find my BF5 boots...hmm???  >scratchin head<
OOOHHH....all you powerpop fans out there....in July be on the lookout for the
brand spankin new Gigolo Aunts album entitled "Minor Chords And Major Themes"!
it'll be on E Pluribus Unum....Adam Duritz's label!
later kats and kittens,
JOhn H.     USA              " http://members.aol.com/fineexampl/ "  Home of
the John Easdale Group FULLY ENDORSED Website!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:45:37 -0400
From: Jessica Sledge <talulaq@necrotech.com>
Subject: re: People on The Armchair web-page

Name: Jessica (Sledge) Maxwell
Age: 17
From: groton, mass
How did you first hear BFF:  I was just flipping around and saw BOWCCL video
on mtv, from somewhere near the beginning... i LOVED it, i wrote down the
name of the band when it was over (this is exactly how i fell in love with
tori amos, except with the God video... and now i am obsessed with both)
this was about a year ago last month!  or march... i forget.
On the Armchair since: hmm.... on and off for the past year
Favorite BFF S/T song:  Last Polka
Favorite BFF S/T line:  Being awake never felt like this before
Favorite WaEA song: Evaporated
Favorite WaEA line: She never gets wet, she smiles and its a rainbow
Favorite B-Side song: For all the pretty people
Favorite B-Side line: i dont wanna... you make me feel retarded
Favorite NBP Song: Emaline
Favorite NBP Line:  Girls need attention

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 18:49:42 PDT
From: "Jessica Kinsaul" <icebox_6@hotmail.com>
Subject: short people

Hi!
Since there is all this controversy about short ppl at concerts, I
thought I might add my opinion. Straight off, let me tell you that I am
5'1 (and a half!!), and unless I am in the very front row at a (general
admission) concert, I usually can't see the stage. I've been to concert
that I NEVER saw the band, not even 1 glimpse! I'm not saying that the
tall ppl should let the short ppl go infront of them, but PLEASE, if
you're 6'4 (like the guy directly infront of me at Indigo Girls) please
have some courtesy!
That's my philosiphy.. hehe! I couldn't resist!
- -Jessica

             "I search myself and everyone
              to see where we went wrong
         'cause there's no one left to finger
             there's no one here to blame
         there's no one left to talk to honey
       and there ain't no one to buy our innocence"

Sarah Mclauchlin "Adia"

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:01:36 EDT
From: FieryLox <FieryLox@aol.com>

<< you could plainly see that that was a bit irritating to the guys. >>

I don't mean to start a war or hurt anyone's feelings, but since when are YOU
the manager of Ben Folds Five's feelings?  Perhaps you have ESP?  Either way,
why the assumption?  And by the way, were you ACTUALLY paying close enough
attention to the "younger crowd" around you to see that all of the people
"yelling along with the band" were teenagers?  If you were, please tell
me...who's the one who REALLY doesn't "seem to enjoy the music"?

Toodles!
Sara

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:43:03 EDT
From: FieryLox <FieryLox@aol.com>
Subject: Song For The DumpED!

Did anyone else wonder why John Flansburg's name was not on the video?  Or why
Matt Pinfield introduced the video as having "stop motion animation" and
"scale
models of Ben Folds Five", yet neither one of these appears in the actual
video?  I'm thinking that maybe they trashed the first video for some reason,
and the one that was shown last night was a last-minute replacement.  I mean,
the verse in Japanese?  Cute...and distracting.  See what I mean?  But I DID
quite enjoy the video nevertheless, especially the Japanese verse and when Ben
sang "Kano o kaese, kano o kaese, YOU BITCH!"  I dug it.

Toodles!
Sara

"I heard there was a secret chord/That David played, and it pleased the
Lord/But you don't really care for music, do ya?"--Hallelujah--Leonard Cohen
(but I think Jeff Buckley made it a real religious experience)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:54:52 EDT
From: FragleRoc1 <FragleRoc1@aol.com>
Subject: you so stupid!!!

Ok, I am the only stupid one who missed the Song For the Dumped Video?? I
recorded from 12-2 on sunday night, watched the tape 3 times, but no Ben Folds
Five... what am i doing wrong?? If anyone has the same problem or some sort of
solution PLEASE let me know! I need to see this video!

~~jenny~~

"Officer Friendly's little boy has a mohawk and he knows just where I'm comin
from..."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:03:39 -0400
From: "Derek Supranowicz" <dpsupr@maila.wm.edu>
Subject: SPAC show

    I'm going to the SPAC show as I know many of you are also.  I have with
me a friend who is a big fan but this is her first BFF concert,  this will
be my sixth but it will be the first where it is at a large venue.  I have
met the guys numerous times but i want to give her that chance.  Has anyone
ever had the chance to meet a band that performed on the main stage at SPAC?
if so,  where would we go to meet them,  The back is fenced off if I remeber
right?  Anyone have any ideas as to where they would come out?
    Email me privately,  thanks
Derek

- -----
When Ben plays the piano,  he hits it very hard." - Scotty Folds
- -----
"I'd like to be a jellyfish, cuz jellyfish don't pay rent."  - Jimmy Buffett
- -----
"The cruelest lies are often told, without a word." - Ben Folds Five
- -----------------------------------------
Derek Supranowicz                  Email- dpsupr@maila.wm.edu
CSU #0474                               Email2- dsuprano@rocketmail.com
PO BOX 8793                          WWW- http://128.239.202.62
Williamsburg, VA 23186-0474
(757)-221-4537

42 Hawthorne St.
Lenox MA, 01240
(413)-637-1023

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:06:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Air

After reading the comments on Air, just thought I'd add my thoughts.  I've
heard Air live, twice, haven't heard the soundtrack yet.  I like it, it
has a nice mellow vibe to it.  However, to those who are complaining about
it, keep in mind that they were given one day to produce a song for this
soundtrack.  Ben told me he wasn't very happy about that, he doesn't live
speed-producing drivel for a movie any more than we like for him to do ti.
(Not that anything by BFF could be called drivel, but I digress.)  He said
that this was their last soundtrack song, because he just doesn't like
that aspect of the business.  So to anyone out there who appreciates the
creative process, think of it this way.  BFF produces Air in one day.
Vanilla Ice took three years to produce an album after his debut (that
movei soundtrack of his doesn't count).  Let's be thankful for what we
have!

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance
 (o)   GO HEELS!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:39:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: echap@netcom.ca
Subject: Toronto and Toronto...

Just a quick post...

1. Is anyone going to the Toronto Molson Ampitheatre Show with Beck? I'm curious to find out...
2. I am searching for a copy of 2/18/98, Toronto (The Phoenix). If anyone has a copy that they'd like to trade, give me a shout.
Robbie C.
	http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/6626/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:53:03 +1000
From: "two funky dudes" <frenzal@emunet.com.au>
Subject: Video Taping, and Torn Gardens

Hi, since BFF are coming to Australia again
I was wondering if anybody could help me out
with regards to the bands policy of video recording
thier performances, I'd like to do this, so if anyone
can help me out it would be good....

Matt

Oh, too bad all you Americans now have to listen to
Natalie Imbruglia and Savage Garden, just consider
it ironic justice....

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:53:09 -0500
From: Lachesis@webtv.net (ambidextrous piggy face)
Subject: indianapolis show

hm.  i'm not gonna post a setlist, because i know someone else will, but
let me say that this show was AWESOME!! absolutely great.  this was my
second bff show.  sort of.  my first bff show was last year at the horde
festival, which was great, but it wasn't a full set.  this was, and it
was great.

i didn't meet any armchairites, but some of you might have seen me.  i
had short dark hair, glasses, a plain gray t-shirt, and a pair of blue
and yellow fisher price binoculars.

i haven't been paying much attention to the setlists from other shows,
so i was surprised to hear stephen's last night in town.  especially
with the melodica.

the boys were ON IT tonight.  hot damn.  what a great show.  as a sign
of protest, i went to the bathroom during brick.  my little bro and the
girl i'm dating tell me there was lots of lighter waving and swooning
and singing along.  i'm glad i left.

i ran into EVERYONE i knew at this show.  what's funny is the fact that
i got most of them into ben folds five.  such as my ex-girlfriend, who
sat across the aisle from me. ugh.  that was not fun.

but it was a great show.  i was mad that superdrag dropped the tour.
they went bankrupt or smth (from what i was told from a reliable source
i talked to at the show).  rocket from the crypt was good.  their songs
started to sound the same after a while, but they made up for it with
energy.

the highlight of bff's set was 'song for the dumped.'  especially the
extended ending.  and they skipped the intro to underground, i guess
because of the whole "who the fuck are you?" thing i've read about here
on the armchair.

does anyone have a bootleg of the show?  had i been smart, i would have
brought my tape recorder.  unfortunately, i was not smart.

ok.  byebye.

dave.

dave's sig:  now with karate chop action!!

"i will send you a picture. it is of a man being sick." --.j 0n

"and everything's underground.  we gotta dig it up somehow."
- --radiohead, 'banana co.'

- ------------------------------------
atropos' lair: http://members.tripod.com/~lastpolka/index.html
- ------------------------------------
lost child (a radiohead page):
http://members.tripod.com/~lastpolka/rhead.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 00:56:47 EDT
From: Kamala ICB <KamalaICB@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Y100 FEZtival

In an answer to the question about whether or not Y100 will be broadcasting
the show on the air.....i work there and i know that we will be broadcasting
from the E-Centre, but not the bands live on the radio.....there may be a
concer echo afterwards, but that hasn't been determined yet.

casey

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 98 09:05:16 +0100
From: Bengt Stenstr=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=f6m?= <bengt.stenstrom@swipnet.se>
Subject: Re: MP3 sightings + General L Inks

+++++ Checked my bookmark file and found these BFF sound pages:

Ben Folds Five - ConnecteD
http://www.cdextra.com/ConnecteD/BenFoldsFive/

www.geocities...9/sounds.html
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/4999/sounds.html

Ben Folds Five Audio Archive
http://php.indiana.edu/~wsarles/bffmp3.html

Multimedia
http://www.underworld.net/bff/mm.htm

Ben Folds 5-Sound
http://www.underworld.net/bff/sound/

+++++ And here's General L Inks - I know some of them have sound links as
well:

Page For The Dumped
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html

BFF International Fan Page
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/fans.html

NebulocityBFF.html
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/2935/NebulocityBFF.html

benfolds.html
http://www.tiac.net/users/blakinfo/benfolds.html

Swimming Underground
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/4512/

Ben Folds Five Underground [BFF Webring]
http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=benfolds5;list

bf5.html
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/5194/bf5.html

AltVideos - Select Videos By Artist
http://www.altvideos.com/ByBand.cfm?ego=592112250432539

Ben Folds Five
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/2175/bffm.htm

Ben Folds Five
http://homepages.iol.ie/~may/bffm.htm

Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
http://www.addict.com/issues/2.01/Sections/44.1kHz/Ben_Folds_Five/Ben_Folds
_Five.html

Ben Folds Five
http://oeonline.com/bff/

BEN FOLDS FIVE
http://www.epiccenter.com/EpicCenter/Benfoldsite/index.qry?artistid=274

+++++ Late addition(s):

The Page That's Uncanny To See [not real name of the page?]
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html