Issue #1013 - May 23, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, May 23 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1013

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...
   Accordingly, very soon I will begin purging the mailing list of any
address that bounces for any reason (e.g., too many hops, mailbox full,
no route to host), not just 'user unknown'. If you find yourself
unsubscribed, this is probably the reason.

THANKS A THOUSAND
   With the passage of 1,000 issues of the Armchair I'd like to thank
everyone for their contributions to the success of the list. We have a great
group of fans and the band is very appreciative of your support.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    raindrops in Cincinatti
    little post
    Re: "Air"...where's it in the movie?
    Confessions of a short person
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1007
    Do I have to go over this EVERY night?
    Godzilla, Soundtrack, Teenyboppers(Can We Please Stop This Conversation!)
    WXPN Producer's Circle?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1012
    Sex On, Beneath, Inside Ben's Piano
    WEAE noises?
    an apology from a newbie that definitely should know better

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:11:15 -0400
From: bobafett@ne.infi.net
Subject: raindrops in Cincinatti

hey all...
	i'll keep this short and hopefully amusing.  you all have heard stories
about the show in cinci...so let me tell you a funny story about
afterwards.  After about an hour in the rain, my friend and i (who were
soaked beyond belief) were the first ones who went inside the door once
ben and co. decided to come out to talk to us.  Whenever ben looked out
the door at my friend and me, he said, and i quote "oh my god...get on
in here."  so we went inside and were met by witty rain-related remarks
from robert, such as "are you two from seattle? or You look very
english..."  witty guy, that robert.  so after a while we said goodbye
to ben, darren, and robert who looked at us with a mix of pity and
humor.  i guess getting that wet was worth it.
jessica

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:40:32 EDT
From: Nukky18 <Nukky18@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1009

Air is somewhat different, but altogether, amazing. You just gotta hear it
enough to enjoy it's uniqueness.  I had to do the same thing when i even first
heard BFF.  Another great track on there is the rage against the machine one,
No Shelter (American Eyes).  RATM is wicked too.  Both extremely talented
bands  that have made it to the top but have NOT sold out!!

- -jeremy

"i do the best imitation of myself"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:46:30 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>

<< This list is no longer about a great band with great music. It is about
 fighting and stupidity and although I've only been on for 3 and a half weeks,
 I too am thinking of unsubscribing. >>

Oh man! Whatever. Before Brick was released, we had the same kinds of fights.
I admit,  the armchair isn't as cool because all the people got pissed and
left. I'm still here and annoying people!!  Anyway, whether it's moshing,
feminism, song for the dumped lyrics, or personal ticks, we will always fight
with each other on this cute little place in cyberspace.
AND WE ALL LOVE BEN FOLDS FIVE.

Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:05:13 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com
Subject: little post

Air- like, don't love, but I bet the harmonies are excellent live.  I
have been singing "Were coming up for A-I-R"  lately.
Any chance BFF will come to Sweden?  Or play someplace in MA or RI that
isn't a 42000 or 12000 people venue?
Im frothing at the mouth for Jeff Buckleys new album.
CDS Ive got to buy- (if you want to email me and tell me in what order,
feel free!)
Radiohead-The Bends (I do feel like I know it completely)
The Cure-Disintegration
Pulp-Different Class
Garbage-Version 2.0
~Elisabeth
"I busted a synapse!"  -THE GLUE!!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:03:48 -0400
From: Adam Tyner <ctyner@clemson.edu>
Subject: Re: "Air"...where's it in the movie?

At 02:08 AM 5/22/98 +0200, Peter Duniho wrote:

>Anyone care to clue me in?  When do they play "Air" (or some part of it, as
>is more likely the case) during the movie?

I was wondering the same thing.  I heard "Heroes" in a bar, and "Come With
Me" played over the ending credits, but those are the only songs that
jumped out at me in the entire movie...

>(I'm calling it "the song" because I thought the song was named "Kashmir,"
>from the Houses of the Holy album, but someone else said it was called "Come
>to Me," so in the interest of not revealing a gap in my Led Zepplin
>education, I've refrained from referring to the song by name.  Of course, by
>saying that, I've revealed all anyway.  Oh well...  :) )

You're right; the original song is called "Kashmir", but the new version is
called "Come With Me" or something like that.

- -Adam
                   http://www.he-man.org/ctyner
             http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/
The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more!
   Demented music list admin           O-         MiSTie #67,326

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:21:45 -0800
From: Susan Park <maven@jetcity.com>
Subject: Confessions of a short person

Hi!

I'm one of those extremely obnoxious people who always edges to the front
few rows in a general admission show - whether I have to go through five
people or five hundred!

When I went to a Porno for Pyros concert, I actually survived serious
moshing (remember those days in the pit? Anybody still do that?) in order
to get up to the front, only to be bruised across my stomach by being
pressed against metal bars. But, it was worth it.

I usually try to get there very early - so early I look like a groupie, just
to get in the front rows.

At some venues, I'm not as picky. At Hardee's Walnut Creek in Raleigh, I
bought year passes through the radio station and was content to sit on a
blanket in the general admin field behind the assigned covered seating.

At assigned seating concerts, I usually wait to buy my tickets from
scalpers or get them as press passes so I'm up front. Sitting in the "golden
circle" in row ten don't do no good if you can't see a thing.

Why? I'm 5-2 (and a half!). And I sometimes wear boots with 2 inch heels
if I can stand it. Still puts me at a disadvantage.

Perhaps you don't care. Perhaps you think I should have eaten my
vegetables. Hey, I've heard it all. Just a few months ago, one of my "model"
friends told be she could tell I'd been malnorished because I was short. Tell
me? Are people really that stupid to think height is a matter of choice? Is
that balding head because you wear hats? Is that acne because you ate
chocolate? Is that lack of muscular build simply caused by not working
out? Haven't we been educated on genetics, yet? Hey, at least you can try
Rogaine, tetracycline, and steroids for the above problems. I haven't heard
of a magic pill for the height deprived, yet. (Maybe if it were a guy
problem...)

Perhaps you have no idea what its like. Next time you are at a flat floor
concert, stoop down to the same height as your girlfriend there below you
- - so low you can see straight into her eyes. Now, look around. Hmm -
shoulders packed tight. Lots and lots of square shoulders - oh - there's a
stomach. I could poke it with my nose from here!

If I had one wish, just one little, huge, wish, it would be that at the
beginning of the concerts, the performer (such as the wonderful Ben Folds
Five) would ask the tall guys in front to look around and see if perhaps
there was a little girl behind them who couldn't see and place her in front
of him. Such would go on until most of the girls would be at the front and
most of the guys would end up in back - okay, it sucks if you end up
separated, but you at least get to see.

At the last BF5 concert in Seattle, my friend James stood about seven rows
back and I edged up to the second row so I could see (he didn't want to be
rude.) Even then, I was stuck behind a seven foot tall teenager. Oh well,
at least I got to see.

- -spark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:27:47 EDT
From: Zyah <Zyah@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1007

Hey, I missed the SFTD video too---and, judging from what you all have said so
far, it sounds great--please let me know, anyone, if you know when it will be
on again.

- --Ted--
If you're asking where Y100's going to broadcast it over the radio, then the
answer is no.  The only place you can hear it is at the E-Center..Or, if they
play loud enough, on that road outside the E-Center.  If I were you, I'd get
tickets, there's still some left--and check out Fuel on the sidestage, if you
get a chance (It's not exactly the type of music I think people on this list
like, but hey, I like it--isn't that enough?)...

Lauren     The Selfless, Cold, & Composed One, not the Superbitch Lauren :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:29:55 EDT
From: YourPalCM <YourPalCM@aol.com>
Subject: Do I have to go over this EVERY night?

<< there is no etiquet at concerts
 unless you're at the opera >>

OK, three days in a row now I have to go over this.  Now, everyone, please pay
attention - do not scream in anyone's ear when you are at a concert.  Am I
understood?  There IS etiquette at a rock concert.  No, it's not like an
opera, but that doesn't give every fool the right to ruin a good show for
everyone around them.  Just because you paid for the ticket does not buy you
the right to act like an idiot and annoy everyone around you.  With an
attitude like that you are running the risk of getting knocked on your behind.
And, another thing, if you're going to post something stupid, at least get out
the dictionary or use your spell checker before you send it in.  (Sorry to
sound a little agitated, but I am amazed how many poeple think there is
nothing wrong with disregarding everyone around them just because they are at
a rock concert.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Leigh <emaline5@yahoo.com>
Subject: Godzilla, Soundtrack, Teenyboppers(Can We Please Stop This Conversation!)

First of all, I just got back from Godzilla.  Personally, it was a
GREAT movie!  It was intense and the special effects were great.  This
movie was awesome.

Okay, I guess I have to say this don't I?  You know people, this whole
cd is very good.  And "Air" is not the best song on it, to me.  I
really don't care what you guys think, this cd ROCKS.  Guys, stop
dissing the soundtrack, there are so many good tracks on it such as:
Wallflowers, Silverchair, fuzzbubble, Ben Folds Five, Green Day, and
much more.  And you know what, I really don't care what you guys
think, I really like "Come With Me".  So, whoever disagrees with me,
BLOW ME!  This soundtrack rules.

And how long is this  conversation of Teenyboppers going to go on??
Okay, we know there are teenyboppers out there, and WE all could care
less about them by getting updates on them every freaking day.

Much love,

~Leigh

And people don't fill up my mailbox with HATE letters.

The Page That's Uncanny To See
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 22:45:07 -0400
From: "M. Pratt" <mpratt@voicenet.com>
Subject: WXPN Producer's Circle?

Does anyone have any idea what the WXPN Producer's Circle thing listed =
the Tour Dates is?  (May 28th)  There's nothing on the 'XPN page, and I =
haven't heard it mentioned on the station (the only time I have time to =
listen is in the car on the way to work anyway). =20

Someone please enlighten me and the rest of the 'Chair.=20

Oh, and one week until I see BFF again at the place it all began for me, =
the stunningly beautiful Camden Waterfront!

Maria=20

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 22:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1012

this is for pete: i took my kids to see godzilla today, and my daughter
BASHED me with her elbow within four seconds of hearing bff (i might not
have noticed it without her) playing on the radio in the shop where
matthew broderick goes to buy.... well, let's just say "drugstore stuff"
so as not to spoil the story.... and he sees the blonde woman for the
first time.
it was one of the few songs i actually noticed playing IN the movie, and
i heard much of the soundtrack (not air, tho) on a radio show the
other night.
and we stayed til the VERY END of the credits (we were the only ones who
did) so we could clap really loud at the "AIR" credits :)
i like the soundtrack in general, too. it's not all wonderful, but it's
got some nice stuff. imho.

judi smith                                   you've got to dance
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                             like nobody's watching
                                            and love like it's
would you catch me if was falling?               never going to hurt
kiss me if i was leaving?                           -- unknown
hold me cause i'm lonely without you?
           -- counting crows

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 22:01:15 -0500
From: rh@apci.net
Subject: Sex On, Beneath, Inside Ben's Piano

Now that I have your attention, I have one word for everyone who posts
on this list REGARDLESS of age, musical persuasion, occupation,
educational level, short/tall, gay/straight/whatever,
mosh-head/brickhead, new-fan/old-fan/rotary fan, screamer/non-screamer,
blah, blah, blah:  I don't fucking care and neither should you.  So the
one word is:

TOLERANCE...

Learn it!  Look it up!  Remember it!  Practice it!  My observation is
that these extraordinarily trivial & mundane side issues of height,
"brickness", and similar crapola are generally irrelevant to the
fantastic music Ben, Robert & Darren create.  I think we too often loose
sight of that when we get a little too centered on self and our own
opinions.

One other suggestion:  finish reading the bloody post (maybe more than
once) if you're going to comment on it.  Try, I said TRY to understand
the viewpoint of the poster and where she/he is coming from.  Some of
these misunderstandings are just obvious miscommunication problems.  You
don't have to agree with the post -- yeah, that would really be a hoot
- -- but before you get defensive about the most trivial point in the
entire universe count to 10 and if that doesn't work count to 10,000.

And last, I think it's pretty damned great that we can interact so
readily with fans around the globe about the greatest band out there
thanks to Frank Maynard!

Ray

P.S.  This post didn't seem too intolerant did it?  :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 12:49:45 +0930
From: "Ben Williams" <ben@tne.net.au>
Subject: WEAE noises?

>I really like WEA recorded at Ben's house. I mean, then we wouldn't
have the
>infamous crickets and telephone ring.  Plus in Brick, you can hear a
door
>close. I really like that.

Where are these crickets and telephone??

yet another example of the fact that not only are BFF hugely talented
artists, but they are pretty damn funny as well. (not that is would have
been deliberate, but how many other bands do you know with that kind of
stuff on their albums?) All I can say is, "Ben Folds is a Fuckin
Asshole..."

>From Ben.
- -------
Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:37:43 PDT
From: "Michael Della Bitta" <neptunelizard@hotmail.com>
Subject: an apology from a newbie that definitely should know better

alright, so i saw a link for the BFF list, and not
thinking, like the doof i can be when i'm not paying
attention, i subscribed to the list rather than the
request address. so you guys all had to look at my
ugly majordomo command in the middle of what was
supposed to be informative. yep, it was me. i'm very
sorry for that, y'all, in fact i realized it about
10 seconds after i hit the send button, and pounded
the table and shouted. i should know better, i got on
the internet in just enough time to become a seasoned
veteran of the whole e-mail list thing just before
AOL became the first commercial online service to
dump raging newbies that were used to user-friendly
online service people onto the net. we were pissed.
so, let me apologize for not getting off on the
right foot!

yeah, so about being tall: i'm 6'3". i didn't ask for
all those extra inches, in fact i would probably shave
off a couple of inches if it didn't require as much
pain as i think it would. my whole outlook on the being
tall at concerts thing is that tall people do less damage
right in front of the stage than they do way in back.
think about it, if i'm the person right in front of the
stage, and you're a foot shorter and right behind me,
chances are that you're going to be able to see a couple
of feet above me to whoever is standing there right in
front of us, and WAY more to the sides. it's all a matter
of angles. once we get 30 feet from the stage, chances
are that the angles are going to work out that all you'll
see are stage lights over me, and crowd to my right and
left.

i DO get really self-conscious at shows, thinking about
all the people behind me. the thing is, once one person
and their five friends that they absolutely have to be
right next to get in front of me, then there's the next
group behind me too. what i try to do is get there a
little early and stake out a place in an open area, and
as the crowd fleshes out, whoever gets stuck behind me
knew i was there in the first place. i'm sure there's
nothing worse than staking out a place only to get your
view eclipsed by some beanpole like me at the last
moment before the show... the same thing happened to me
once as that last person that posted, though, i got
shoved behind some 6'6" guy. he was nice and waved me
around, though. we were in the back, anyway.

so, my prerequisite newbie story: when i first heard BFF,
i was asleep. my brother was listening to them in the
shower (having tunes in the shower is HIGHLY recommended)
and woke me up, so i was listening to them through two
closed doors, water noises, and a cloud of sleepyness. my
first thought was: "hey, these guys are cool, but their
guitarist doesn't do ANYTHING!" :)

yo, i can talk. hey, wait, gotta go, i just found this
brass monkey ear on the floor...

michael