Issue #1014 - May 23, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, May 23 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1014

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...
   Accordingly, very soon I will begin purging the mailing list of any
address that bounces for any reason (e.g., too many hops, mailbox full,
no route to host), not just 'user unknown'. If you find yourself
unsubscribed, this is probably the reason.

THANKS A THOUSAND
   With the passage of 1,000 issues of the Armchair I'd like to thank
everyone for their contributions to the success of the list. We have a great
group of fans and the band is very appreciative of your support.

    songs in godzilla
    !! Cincinnati Review and Setlist - Bogart's (long) !!
    survey says
    opening band in Atlanta
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1011
    nothing
    sara
    Re:  "Air"...where's it in the movie?
    Godzilla Soundtrack, Hanson
    Fw: brickheads, bullsh*t, and our boys

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:37:45 EDT
From: Beatles970 <Beatles970@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1012

It's not often that I post, so I figured I'd voice my oppinion. (it's kinda
long, I'm really sorry in advance.) :)
Anyway, I was listening to "Air" and the first time I heard it (of course I
skipped right to # 5), I thought of "Mitchell Lane".  However, I could be way
off in my judgement.  I also saw the movie Tuesday night (sneak preview). I
guess it was a "guy" movie, whatever that is, but I enjoyed it I suppose.  I
also didn't catch "Air" anywhere in the movie, in fact, I only noticed like
one song ("Heroes"). Plus, I didn't stay for the credits but that's not
relevant.
Oh, and about the whole "tall people" thing.  I'm about 5'11"-6', which is
pretty tall for a female.  I didn't ask to be this tall and in fact, I hate
it.  But I'm not about to move out of anyone's way at a concert just because
they weren't blessed with height.  I'm sorry for being inconsiderate or
whatever, but I didn't ask to be this tall, nor did you ask to be whatever
height you are.  However, if it is like at a movie theater, I purposely do not
sit in front of anyone unless it's packed.  It's your own choice to sit behind
me and therefore if you can't see over my head, hey, it's your own fault.  So
if you can, don't stand behind tall people. Simple and easy, and no complaints
can be made that way.  Right? Oh and people with "big" hair are a different
story.
I might as well add to the "age" discussion as well, since it is not often
that I post.  I believe that age has nothing to do with what kind of music you
are allowed to listen to.  It just depends on your style and preference and
that's all that should matter.  I have a friend who is going to a Celine Dion
concert, owns just about everything that deals with the "Backstreet Boys" and
then she tells me how much she digs "Brick". I admit, it can be annoying, but
it's her choice.  I cannot change her beliefs in any way, and I would feel
like less of a person if I tried.  I do, however, play all my BF5 cds in
everyone's car (I even made a tape for those of that don't have cd players.)
That way, she can get a feel for what they're like, not just for "Brick". She
even told me she liked "Underground" which I suppose is movement in the
"right" direction.  But if teenagers like them (I myself am 17) then cool.  If
older people like them then cool.  Power to you.  It just shows the diversity
of the band and the ability to appeal to different age groups who grew up with
different styles.  And some younger teens only like BF5 for Brick because it's
cool to like them.  I liked Vanilla Ice when I was younger because all the
kids in my school did.  It was cool back then.  Milli Vanilli? They were cool
too.  But after about 3 months, you look back and think "how could we think
they were cool?" and maybe that's what these kids will do.  They'll drop off
the mailing list, they'll stop going to shows and we can all stop complaining
about them.  But if they like Ben Folds Five because of one song and it makes
them go out and buy Whatever and Ever Amen and maybe, just maybe, they like
another one of their songs, then Ben and the boys' mission has been
accomplished.  Enough about that, it's been beaten to death and I'm only
making it worse. I apologize again.
Now, on to screaming (I know, I know, enough already. But I never post, I have
to get this off my chest.) I'll keep it quick. Ok.  Screaming in itself is
ok....Let me take that back.  The occasional "Wooooo!" is ok. The whole
"AAHHHHHHH!" is just not cool. I myself am rather quiet at shows.  I'll sing,
but quietly. I don't like making other people's concert-going unpleasant,
unless you're short and standing behind me as your choice. :) I agree with all
the people that are telling everyone who screams to shut the hell up.  It does
make it unpleasant and just not tolerable.  I went to a "Live" concert back in
the day and I had some drunk/high people (which in itself is ok) but they
wouldn't shut up. Except for them, I had a great time (except staring at the
people with huge asses in front of me...oh, sorry) but we should all just shut
up and let the performers, who are the ones performing and the ones we are all
there to listen to, perform. It's hard to do when all you can hear is the
people behind you doing the work of the people you paid hard earned money to
see.  I'm going to see Ben Folds 5 with Beck and Dave Matthews at Giants
Stadium because it's the only way I could see them this summer, and I'll be
damned if the people I go with (all huge DMB fans) ruin my Ben Folds
experience. I paid $40 to see them, and them alone and I'll kill if they say
at least one word during Ben's performance. But the occasional "Wooo! You guys
rock!" is acceptable.  That's all I have to say. I'm sorry again for the
length. I had to say this stuff, I really did. If you're still reading this,
hey, you're some cool people.

~Brooke
"and it's just like mitchell lane, everything's the same..."
SFTD video kicked ass!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:37:02 EDT
From: Kamala ICB <KamalaICB@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1011

<< Did anyone else wonder why John Flansburg's name was not on the
video? >>

i've noticed that his name has been left out of other videos too, and it's not
that MTV leaves it out....on the actual video reel that the record companies
send to the video shows and stations lists the director of the video as
uncredited......

same thing happened when Flans was the director for Edwyn Collins' video for
"a girl like you" from the empire records soundtrack

casey

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:46:05 EDT
From: Kamala ICB <KamalaICB@aol.com>
Subject: songs in godzilla

<< So, I went to see Godzilla this morning (not bad, as long as
you're in the
 mood for that kind of movie :) ), and never noticed the song "Air" being
 played.  I guess I should've gotten the soundtrack before seeing the movie,
 so I'd know what to listen for, but I didn't, and didn't hear anything I
 immediately recognized as BFF.

 Anyone care to clue me in?  When do they play "Air" (or some part of it, as
 is more likely the case) during the movie?

i heard that you have to listen really really hard to even hear like 4 of the
songs that are on the soundtrack....

i haven't seen the movie yet, and i don't know if i will....generally movies
with big soundtracks end up not being that good......hmmmmm, from my
experience

casey

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 01:14:10 -0400
From: "Leigh Nelson" <leigh13@mindless.com>
Subject: !! Cincinnati Review and Setlist - Bogart's (long) !!

Hey there,

You may remember me from such Ben Folds Five setlist/reviews as The Supper
Club and Electric Factory in Nov 1997 or Hammerstein Ballroom, Elec Fac,
9:30 Club in DC, and The Abyss in VA Beach from February 1998. Well now,
here I am again because I just got back from Ohio (never, EVER, take a
15-hour bus trip home!)  Anyway, my good friend Rachael and I drove out from
NY/NJ all the way to Cincinnati to check out the show at Bogart's on Tuesday
night, and we weren't disappointed.

I found good old Sandi, who can prove to ANYBODY that's it's no problem to
be 5 foot-nothing at a Ben Folds Five show.  We were all right up front on
the rail in front of Robert, a nice change from always being on Ben's side.
I was wearing my "SLEDGE Wannabe" nametag as always, but their seemed to be
a real lack of Armchairers there.  We screamed ourselves hoarse trying to
find Jessica from the 'Chair to no avail.  Opening was Superdrag, who were
pretty cool, definitely more energetic than Robbie Fulks, but I didn't dig
them quite as much as Travis.  Still, they could rock and the singer even
answered back when Rachael yelled for him to do the "pot-smokin' thing"...if
you were there you know what I'm talking about.

As far as the Five went, they played harder and longer than I've ever seen
them before.  The set was about 24 songs (depending on what you count
"songs"), quite a few more than the usual 18 or 19 they normally play.  It
was great to see Evaporated live for the first time (a valid "replacement"
for Brick) and I was happy to see some improvisation.   When this guy Adam
next to us got a bit rowdy, Robert did his disco-thing while more or less
telling him to chill out.  Very cool.  After that Ben came back on piano and
they played a pseudo-Dick Holster style jam for a bit.  The Velvet
Underground cover was funny too...I'm always happy to see something outside
of the normal BFF show.  Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head was also a very
welcome addition to the set.  By the time they closed up with Uncle Walter
the band looked pretty exhausted...they must have been, because we were too
from dancing for so long!

After the show, I got to talk to the guys for a while.  It was nice because
the aftershow took place on the whole floor rather than some tiny room
backstage.    Ben remembered me from our little party in the hotel back in
Virginia and he told me that they would be in the studio in October to
record for the new album.  No longer will they be recording in Ben's house,
they will go to a "real" studio this time.  Ben said that they had enough of
all the technical difficulties involved with their old method of recording.
However, he assured me that this album would be done the way the band wanted
to do it and nothing would be sacrificed.  He wouldn't divulge any song
titles or the album name, but he did say that lately he'd been into "really
long names."

Robert, Darren, and Ben all said they were excited to be playing some large
venue shows like Giants Stadium.  I guess we fans hate to lose the intimacy,
but at least they get to be BIG ROCK STARS, just like Guns 'n Roses or Bon
Jovi.  Or something like that.
I hope I haven't bored you all terribly, but I think now and then we can
afford to have a nice long concert post to the Armchair.  Please write me
with any comments!

Setlist (Exact order): Dr. Pyser - Battle... - Selfless... -  Philosophy -
Alice Childress - Emaline - Eddie Walker - Steven's... - Fair - Evaporated -
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - Kate - Julianne - Rob's Disco /
Pseudo-Dick Holster thing - Everybody Knows? (V.U. cover) - Smoke - Last
Polka - Song For The Dumped - Missing the War - One Angry Dwarf -
Underground // Boxing - Uncle Walter

Live from New Jersey,

Leigh (the original)
Leigh13@mindless.com aol:thirteen2k http://www.easysoft-usa.com/13
" right angles, held captive by a square...it takes four to tango and a
steady hand"

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 00:25:27 -0500
From: Paulette <p-barry@nwu.edu>
Subject: survey says

Three discs in my changer:

Led Zeppelin Four
the White Album (both discs)

No BFF right now, it runs in cycles for me.  (Is anybody else like that?)

- -Paulette

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 05:03:37 EDT
From: FHudetz <FHudetz@aol.com>
Subject: opening band in Atlanta

<<
 Does any one know who is opening for Ben at the Atlanta show? >>

Yes, the Nocturnal Emmisions.  They are very good...I'm like one of their
roadies
(I tie the scarves to their mics!!).

tvs

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:23:46 EDT
From: Claire4815 <Claire4815@aol.com>

Hi armchairites (or whatever)...last night I went and saw Godzila (it was
okay), but I never heard our favorite five's song on it!?  Did I just miss it
(could someone tell me what part of the movie it was at, if at all), or has
their song on a movie soundtrack once again been pushed to the side (as is the
case of Mr. Wrong, with their song Song for the Dumped on it, but never in the
actual movie).  What is up with that?????
Bye, Barbie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:15:46 -0600
From: Deidre <a0028897@airmail.net>
Subject: nothing

I love Ben Folds Five.

And once again,  Chris Mal is MY PAL.

Always,
Deidre

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:21:19 -0600
From: Deidre <a0028897@airmail.net>
Subject: sara

Sara,

Okay,  when you are standing right in front of the stage & in the center
of a big mass of people all yelling & whom are under the age of
eighteen,  it's a pretty safe bet that things aren't right.  When the
crowd would get really loud,  Ben would do his usual & slow down or
speed up the music.  But for the love of God,  I DID NOT pay to hear all
these people singing.  I paid my $30 to hear the band. Were you at the
Dallas show?  Do you know what I'm talking about?  If not,  then don't
worry about it,  I'm simply relaying the events of the night.....

Always,
Deidre

**Can I run my hands through your carwash hair?**

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:55:35 -0400
From: David Della Bitta <ddel4695@uriacc.uri.edu>
Subject: Re:  "Air"...where's it in the movie?

Saw the movie (Godzilla) last night and I must say
that I rather enjoyed it. I can't see how anyone
would think that was snoozer.  I was on the edge
of my seat almost the entire time except during
the middle of the movie when they actually tried
to develop the characters. :)

Anyway, I'm sad to announce that I didn't hear Air
in the movie at all. In fact, I only heard 2 songs
from the soundtrack in the movie (The Puff Daddy
song and I think that I heard the Wallflowers song
faint in the background at one point).

C'est la vie.

Dave Della Bitta

------------------------------

Date: Fri May 22 10:09:13 EDT 1998
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: Godzilla Soundtrack, Hanson

Not that you'd care to hear another opinion about the soundtrack, but
here's mine.  I bought the soundtrack for BF5, but an added bonus for
me was the Jamiroquai track (just a note, that's the band's name, not
the singer's.  Understandable mistake though).  The rest is okay,
though I couldn't really care less about the other songs.

Also, since someone mentioned some poor misguided person comparing Ben
Folds Five to Hanson, I thought I'd ask if you guys have had the
experience of leaving the NBP CD laying around and having a
friend/co-worker/relative ask if it was a Hanson CD?  Must've happened
to me half a dozen times by now!

http://radiolink.net/rey
rey@radiolink.net

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:48:52 -0500
From: "Leslie Weiler" <leslie@charybdis.com>
Subject: Fw: brickheads, bullsh*t, and our boys

hi! i just got to go see my first show, here in austin, tx. Superdrag
opened, and they wern't *bad*, but they were kind of posturing, for lack of
better term...very rock star-y.
BFF played exceptionally, and they didnt play brick. robert broke out the
upright once, and they played evaporated. i teared up, and so did a lot of
folks around me. (a note to the screamers: i sing along too, and i hoot and
holler between songs while applauding, but some people were screaming before
evaporated ended, and we didnt get to hear the start of the last verse,
which is very poignant, and very very soft.)
what sort of irked me was that lots of people walked out saying stuff like,
"at least they didnt play Brick...i bet all these wannabes are pissed."
do any of the paople who say stuff like that remember how hard brick hit you
when you first heard it? i was working, and just had to stop and listen to
the CD in silence. i did this the first 10 or so times i heard it. brick is
a song that doesnt sound like radio - it sounds like ben folds five. They
didnt go and record we are the champions or some other pop song that would
have garnered airplay. whether someone only likes brick or not, it doesnt
mean your concert experience is cheapened. i still like pearl jam, and no
amount of public like or dislike changes the fact that when i sit down in
the evening, their album sounds good to me. the bff disc doesnt degrade in
quality whenever a single gets popular. some people seem to be so touchy
about others infringing on their tastes that they hate the person for trying
liking something new...something that apparently is only meant for the
uberfans who happened to wander into BFF earlier than others. get some
personal security in you identity, if you're like that. jealousy over a band
that you are merely a FAN of is sick.
why cant some people love a song that other people love? are folks that
stuck up that a *lesser fan* can taint a tragic and powerful song for them?
seems sort of pathetic. maybe there's a song in that somewhere...
now, if these so-called brickheads get obnoxious at shows, then thats a
different issue. they just suck as concertgoers then, and should be flogged
for rudeness, not for lack of BFF exposure.
anyway, i first heard the boys on KDGE in dallas. they werent on the
playlist, but the morning show DJ got off on a tear and said he was going to
play one of his favorite songs. he played underground, and i was hooked.
bought the s/t that day and have been a fan ever since. the music is great,
and i'm glad to loan my WAEA to friends, even if they just loop brick on the
CD Player. its their loss to skip the rest of the disc.

my fav song at the moment is Emaline, just cause its...wonderful.
particularly the line
>>she's dear to me, and so expensive...
>>and i'm not talking 'bout money
sorry this was so long, but i may just lurk for another year and then get
cathartic again. thanks for bearing with.

ps - i'm 6'2" and i let LOTS of short people in front of me.
                                                                leslie
weiler

leslie@charybdis.com