Issue #1015 - May 23, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, May 23 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1015

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...
   Accordingly, very soon I will begin purging the mailing list of any
address that bounces for any reason (e.g., too many hops, mailbox full,
no route to host), not just 'user unknown'. If you find yourself
unsubscribed, this is probably the reason.

THANKS A THOUSAND
   With the passage of 1,000 issues of the Armchair I'd like to thank
everyone for their contributions to the success of the list. We have a great
group of fans and the band is very appreciative of your support.

    SPAC Show
    [none]
    [none]
    misc comments
    air in godzilla
    Places for MP3's
    Concert photos
    short people have no one to love
    "Air"
    Re:"Air"...where's it in the movie?
    Where Air is played in the movie....
    Indianapolis Show

Date: Fri, 22 May 98 12:04:53 PDT
From: "Justin" <jking01@mail.tds.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1012

> I thought I'd
> tell about an unusual experience I had with this. I went to see the boys
> back in February in a standing room (honestly, is there any other kind?)
> only hall, Clutch Cargo's. Now, I happened to be moderately close to the
> stage (about 3 people back). I could see quite well, in fact. The problem
> was that there was a guy 7 FEET TALL standing right in front of me. I
> missed seeing most of Robbie Fulk's country antics & when I finally did
> move, people were bitching & complaining about how they couldn't see over
> me(!), but I ended up being right up IN FRONT OF BEN by the middle of the
> show.
I'm guessing you were one of the people that elbowed and pushed their way
over.
But that's alright.  I mean, it's survival of the fittest.  I only had one
person in front of me,
but 2/3 of the way through BF5's set I moved from dead center, to pretty
much
in front of Ben.  But honestly, I totally agree about the tall people.  I
remember walking out
of that place, and I swear almost everyone was taller than me, and I'm not
extremely
short (5' 9" maybe 5' 10").  But it's not like you missed a whole lot with
Robbie.
I mean, the old guys just took their turns with the country licks.  Although
Robbie seemed like a nice guy.  But as far as the argument about letting
the smaller people in front (whoever started it), I disagree with it.
People come to
the show hours before to get up front.  Why should they give up their space
because someone's short?
- -Justin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 17:22:43
From: delocke@usa.net
Subject: SPAC Show

I'm *really* sorry 'bout this, but i'm gonna have to cancel on everyone about the SPAC show. For a number of reasons, I can't go. So if Rusty wants to organize it, go right ahead. If you emailed me about  meeting for the show, please mail Rusty or whoever decides to organize it. Rusty: pleas post a mesg. about this, cuz i'm now officially out of the loop. sorry,

delocke

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 01:03:47 -0700
From: "andy" <thoma@unt.edu>
Subject: [none]

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BD851D.79B39540

does anyone else think that it is just sad as hell that all the hype on =
the Godzilla
soundtrack seems to be from puff daddy?

andrew,
    "being lonely is just a state of mind"

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BD851D.79B39540

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>does anyone else think that it is =
just sad as=20
hell that all the hype on the Godzilla</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>soundtrack seems to be from puff daddy?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>andrew,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>    "being lonely is just a =
state of=20
mind"</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 01:43:41 -0700
From: "andy" <thoma@unt.edu>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01BD8523.0C65F540

OK here it is. =20

TALL vs.. SHORT...
You stand where you are.  If you feel like moving do. If someone asks =
you to move, then you do this, (think about it and MAKE UP YOUR OWN =
MIND).

BRICKHEADS....
This is still an issue? Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, when is this one =
going to be over?  Can we officially call it quits when they release a =
new album?  Please...I'm begging you all...Please for the love of =
god...please...please....!!!

AGE...
All right, I know that I am no rocket scientists, but I am going to go =
out on a limb here and say that we have many people of different ages on =
the armchair.  So here is my idea...Live with it.  It's about the music. =
 Forget the age debate.  Not only is it unsolvable, but who really cares =
anymore?

and to this:

<<okay, i have a little survey, and it sort of pertains to bf5.  i saw=20
a post where a girl listed what was in her cd player.  well, let's=20
everyone do that.>>

    You know what? Let's not.

Peace/Love
andrew
    "Place Memorable Quote Here"

- ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01BD8523.0C65F540

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>OK here it is.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>TALL <FONT =
color=3D#000000>vs.</FONT>.=20
SHORT...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>You stand where you are.  If =
you feel like=20
moving do. If someone asks you to move, then you do this, (think about =
it and=20
MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>BRICKHEADS....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This is still an issue? Jesus Christ =
on a pogo=20
stick, when is this one going to be over?  Can we officially call =
it quits=20
when they <FONT color=3D#000000>release </FONT>a new album?  =
Please...I'm=20
begging you all...Please for the love of=20
god...please...please....!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>AGE...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>All right, I =
know that I am=20
no rocket scientists, but I am going to go out on a limb here and say =
that we=20
have many people of different ages on the armchair.  So here is my=20
idea...Live with it.  It's about the music.  Forget the age=20
debate.  Not only is it unsolvable, but who really cares=20
anymore?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>and to this:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><<okay, i have a little survey, and it sort of =
pertains=20
to bf5.  i saw <BR>a post where a girl listed what was in her cd=20
player.  well, let's <BR>everyone do =
that.>></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"" size=3D2>    You =
know what? Let's=20
not.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"" size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"" size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Peace/Love</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>andrew</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>   =20
"Place Memorable Quote =
Here"</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:41:38 EDT
From: Rosejmort <Rosejmort@aol.com>
Subject: misc comments

Hey folks,

Someone told me that when Ben Folds Five played here in New Orleans on May 5,
they did an in-studio interview at the local "alternative" radio station,
106.7 The End.

Since I was bored at work yesterday, I decided to call the dj and ask what
they talked about. Here's how the conversation went:

DJ: "They were a really weird interview... they just sat there and gave one-
word answers like "Yep...Uh huh....sure...."
ME: "Well, what kind of stupid questions were you asking them - 'what's the
meaning of Brick?' " heheh
DJ:  "No, I asked them "Will there ever be a guitar in the band?"
ME: (snickering audibly)
DJ: "Then they were acting like they had a secret joke between them, they kept
looking at each other and laughing."
ME: "I imagine that they have heard the same questions so often that it's
become amusing to them...they really are fun guys, they haven't been like that
in concert or on tv...maybe they were saving their energy for the show, or
maybe they were tired from touring for three years."
DJ: "OHHH *EVERYONE* hams it up for the TV cameras! But they don't care about
radio unless it's the freakin' Howard Stern Show!!!" (insert bitter tirade
here)
ME: "Well, at least they put on a great show that night."
DJ: "Yeah, they were awesome."
ME: "Thanks for the info! Bye!"

Another bit of info I would mention...please remember to be careful what you
are downloading from the internet. I downloaded this media player because I
was dying to see the Dumped video, and I don't know what it did to my system,
but it screwed it up MAJORLY. I spent the whole day on the phone with tech
support, who said it was "barely recoverable" and today I have spent a good
part of the day re-installing all of my programs. I'm not saying it was a
virus, but just be careful with putting things on your system...it's not worth
it! I wish I would have just waited to see it again on MTV.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:03:02 -0400
From: bobafett@ne.infi.net
Subject: air in godzilla

you can barely hear "air" playing in the background in the first scene
where matthew broderick and his lady friend meet in the quickie-mart
kind of store.
jessica
ps. anyone else amused by the fact that hank azaria went through the
whole movie doing his "moe" voice?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:34:31 -0400
From: dave1179@juno.com
Subject: Places for MP3's

People have asked a lot about MP3's lately.  I would recommend going to
yahoo and doing a search for BFF and checking out the sites that are part
of he Underground (the webring of BFF sites).  I've been able to find
quite a few (including "She Don't Use Jelly," "Hava Nagila," "Elvin
Bishop," and "Raindrop Keep Fallin' on My Head" (from teh Bachrach
tribute concert)).  Also, something I haven't tried downloading from,
allthough I did a search on is scour.net   I did a search for Ben Folds
Five and it came up 1903 songs.  I'm not sure how well it works, but
you're probably bound to find something that works..  If anyone wants the
exact sites I've tried and had success at, e-mail me and I'll let you
know.
			(too lazy to think of a song line),
				Dave

In the CD player:
BFF: S/T
DMB: Remember Two Things
REM: Green
Agents of Good Roots: One by One
Wyclef Jean: The Carnival

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 12:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: jycpark@sprynet.com
Subject: Concert photos

I'm looking for any Ben Folds Five concert photos(5x7, 8x11) that
anyone is willing to trade for bootlegs or a WAEA promo poster.
If you have a website where you have put up the photo, that would
be great, but an accurate and telling description would suffice.
Let me know at jycpark@sprynet.com
Thanks.

Jiwoo

P.S. I'm assuming I'll see some Armchair folks at the SPAC show.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 15:29:10 EDT
From: Corrin108 <Corrin108@aol.com>
Subject: short people have no one to love

<< "If you are considered
 tall, let the short people get in front of you!"   >>

uh, im about 5'9", which isnt really tall but getting there i geuss.  I go to
a lot of concerts/shows and have learned one thng when it comes to this
theory...however tall you are, someone is gonna be taller...if you let all the
shorter people in front of you, pretty soon yr gonna be all the way in the
back and yr not gonna be able to see either.  It's the same theory when i go
to shows....I know that people are gonna be dancing and I dont want tp get
hurt so I have to go early to stand in the limited spaces where I can be safe
and still se the band....I dont care if your 7'6"...if you got there first
then by all means you have the right to stand smack dab in the front row.  I
know it sucks because i was the victim of a tall guy in front of me, but thats
life...get over it and stop whining.  i love being in the front and I dont
care how short you are, if I waited in rain and cold weather for a few hours
for that spot, no one is taking it from me.  this aint no perfect world......

expecting to be mauled at my next show.....Corinne

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:50:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jess <julianne_5@yahoo.com>
Subject: "Air"

To understand what "Air" is about you would have to have seen
Godzilla.  In the movie, Godzilla is "coming up for air".  So, that is
how it all fits together and what "Air" is basically about.  That's it
for now.

        ~jess~

The Page That's Uncanny To See
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5.index.html

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 15:39:24 -0700
From: Rhonda <adnohr@concentric.net>
Subject: Re:"Air"...where's it in the movie?

Peter Duniho <peted@microsoft.com> pondered:
|Anyone care to clue me in?  When do they play "Air" (or some part of it, as
|is more likely the case) during the movie?

When Ben played here last week, he mentioned something like "here's a song
from the godzilla soundtrack but we spent so much time arguing about it, I
don't thing it ever ended up in the movie".  Mind you, that's not a direct
quote, it's paraphrased.

I rather liked it, and will look for a single, but I doubt much else on the
soundtrack will catch me.

And while I'm here, I thought I would mention something.. I got to the show
early so that I could get up close to the stage, and had quite a great
view, sort of right-ish, could see everybody,etc.  When they started
playing, the bass was so loud that my insides felt like they would be
pulverized, and I couldn't hear Ben at all!  I always stand in that general
area for shows at that venue, so I know it's not the club, it's the band.
I had seen them twice before and the sound was fine, I guess that was a bad
night.   I felt like I was gonna be sick.  So, I had to give up the great
view to step back and actually hear the show, and not too many people were
moving up to fill the gap.  Katie mentioned the sound was bad, and there
was room to move, she was right!
ok, rant off
peace!
- ---
rls,
barenaked in san diego
http://www.concentric.net/~adnohr
____________________<*>____________________

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 18:05:24 -0500
From: noctum <noctum@usa.net>
Subject: Where Air is played in the movie....

Hiya kiddies!!! Well, for all of you, Pete, etc., who have been wondering
where "Air" is played at in the movie, here is the location. "Air" was
first played at approx. 57 minutes into the movie where Nick and his old
college/reporter girlfriend run into each other in the pharmacy/conveinence
store. It is played as background music in the store. "Air" was also played
for a few seconds later in the movie when the beast himself bursts out of
the ground and the main punch before the chorus in the song is played for
just a few seconds. Those are the only places in the movie where I could
distinctly hear "Air". It is quite possible it might be played in another
location, but I don't think it is likely. Most of the time, they only play
a song in one location, but they did it twice in this movie which is cool.
Well, go and see the spiffy special effects movie, which is lacking in
story but is still cool. Also, anyone that is planning on attending the
June 14th, Atlanta concert, email me at noctum@usa.net if you would like to
join in on a little picnic/party that is being held the morning/afternoon
before the show. Have a good day! Toodles...

Sanders

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:33:14 EDT
From: Lokavidu <Lokavidu@aol.com>
Subject: Indianapolis Show

This show was great.  Ben and the boys weren't very talkative, but I assume it
was because of the large crowd.  The following is a set list in no particular
order (I couldn't remember):

Dr. Pyser
Song for the Dumped- closer with extended ending
Brick- the crowd screamed when this one started and then proceeded with "Kiss
          Ass"  screams.  Will these people ever learn?
Philosophy
Kate
Steven's Last Night in Town- Ben left the piano for this one; an excellect
rendition
Alice Childress
Underground- no opening
Julianne- Naked Baby Photos version
Eddie Walker
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
Fair
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Last Polka- yea!!!

Despite the fact that they pretty much opened for Foo Fighters, the newspaper
basically ignored the Fighters in their review.  BFF got 3.5 out of 4 stars.
They complemented Darren on his jazz-like ability and compared Robert to Shaun
Cassidy for his playing to the crowd.  The paper liked Ben as a lead and his
piano-thrasing ways.  All around an EXCELLENT SHOW!!!

- -Noelle