Issue #1019 - May 25, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Monday, May 25 1998     Volume 01 : Number 1019

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...
   Accordingly, very soon I will begin purging the mailing list of any
address that bounces for any reason (e.g., too many hops, mailbox full,
no route to host), not just 'user unknown'. If you find yourself
unsubscribed, this is probably the reason.

THANKS A THOUSAND
   With the passage of 1,000 issues of the Armchair I'd like to thank
everyone for their contributions to the success of the list. We have a great
group of fans and the band is very appreciative of your support.

    Check out the new BFF Animation Station
    Secret Track and Unreleased Lyrics
    Re: The person that smokes crack and I saw superdrag show W/ 100 people.
    lots of random things
    Goodbye from Michael Bluejay
    Correction on SNZ/Ben post
    Meaning of Air...
    RE: videos
    My Pal Rusty
    Door slam in "Brick"?
    wierd noises etc - slightly off topic!
    heads are gonna roll
    re: "secret track"?

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 20:18:46 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1014

<< I thought I'd ask if you guys have had the
 experience of leaving the NBP CD laying around and having a
 friend/co-worker/relative ask if it was a Hanson CD?  >>

absolutely not

Lucy
"there is a shortage of horse heads in this world"---Ken

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 21:17:08 EDT
From: Gg101 <Gg101@aol.com>
Subject: Check out the new BFF Animation Station

I have just finished creating the BFF Animation Station, a webpage totally
dedicted to clever BFF animations which I have created. Go check it out at:

http://members.xoom.com/Gg101/Index.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 22:44:03 EDT
From: Brick088 <Brick088@aol.com>
Subject: Secret Track and Unreleased Lyrics

Hi Armcharities.
   Okay, this is my first ever post...I'm usually just an observer. Somebody
asked about the lyrics to Cool Whip and Rocky and the like, and they can be
found at the following URL:

"http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/songlist.html"

Just click on the title you want. This page covers all the Ben Folds Five
songs so far, other than "Air". Even the unreleased.
   Next, the hidden track. Some CDs have it, others don't. I don't know how
they decided which ones did and which didn't, but not all do. My friend
recently bought WAEA and there is no extra track. Mine, though, has it, 5:28
into the twelfth track, "Evaporated".
   Any questions, comments, send 'em back! It was a pleasure posting for you.
::bows::

 -Emily
"I'm boring and have no cutesy little line."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 00:36:17 EDT
From: Pianogtar <Pianogtar@aol.com>
Subject: Re: The person that smokes crack and I saw superdrag show W/ 100 people.

Who is the person that smokes crack that compared Hanson to Ben Folds Five,
That is the most obsured comparison that I've ever heard. Where in musical
talent does Hanson stand to BFF, I'm pretty sure it is nowhere near close if
you want my opinion. Now to superdrag.  The reason that I want to say
something about them is that there has been a lot of talk about them as of
late.  I saw them at the Magnolia St. Pub w/ about a little more than a month
ago at an all ages show.  All ages shows are not very popular in the city that
I live in, and well a place that has a capacity for 600-800.  Well 3/4 of the
crowd was under 18 and that doesn't work well for those of us 21 and up who
usually go to shows.  Well the place was not even a 5th full for a band that
had a buzz clip about 2 years ago.  I do give them credit though, they did put
on a good show even though they did not have that many people at the show and
the fact that the lead singer wanted to commit suicide. well I really blame
the people at the local rock station
<A HREF="http://smeg.com/backwards/b3.cgi?url=www.93planet.com/">Redneck
Planet</A>  for not giving them any support. Well this is my report for now,
hope to have some new bff or related to topics to give to you soon.

gdt

The place you go to if you want to find the best in music today.
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Pianogtar/index.html">Pianogtar and damn cool
links</A>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 00:16:34 EDT
From: Kamala ICB <KamalaICB@aol.com>
Subject: lots of random things

<< - --casey--
 you work for y100, so do you know if they'll be doing the "Show Me Your Y100"
 thing there?  Cause I've done it before, and I must say, we're pretty damn
 good at it.  :)  Plus we could meet some bands (namely, Fuel, Athenaeum, and
 of course BF5). >>

- --Y100
YES they will be doing the show your Y100......have you gotten back stage
before lauren, doing this, when and where(i am just curious)????  look for us
at the broadcast van next to the consession stand on the ben franklin side of
the venue (i'm the one with the crazy black pointy glasses and short blonde
hair)

- --SECRET TRACK
yes there is one there at the end.....try hitting the scan forward button
during evaporated till you hear a lot of silence then the track is after
that....

- --BF5 vs SNZ excitement
i'd still have to go with our boys....i've seen them both like 3 times, and
though i really enjoy the music of the zippers, ben and the boys tend to keep
my attention more towards the stage, where in zipper shows, i tend to just
dance a lot, not really paying attention to the stage (i swing dance...so...)

that's all for now

casey

(and in my CD player/folder in the car:  BF5:S/T and WEA, BBVD, Lee Press on
and the Nails, Screeching Weasel:boogeda boogeda boogeda, MTX: big black bugs
bleed blue blood, Garbage: Version 2.0, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Green Day:
Kerplunk, Nimrod)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 98 01:38:16 -0500
From: <bluejay@mail.com>
Subject: Goodbye from Michael Bluejay

Well, after almost two and a half years on this list, I'm calling it
quits.  (I wonder if I'm the eldest subscriber at this point?)  Things
were a lot different when this digest was in the double-digits.  It's
funny, I remember that a YEAR ago, people were saying that the Armchair
wasn't what it used to be.  But what I would give for the Armchair to be
as "bad" as it was a year ago.

Kudos to Frank Maynard for starting this list and for keeping it going.
Frank, your dedication and patience are remarkable.

And to make sure I don't submit an entire post without any BF5 content
(wouldn't THAT be ironic), my on-topic content is that I just updated my
web site, which now features:

  * Sheet music for "Fair"
  * A transcription of "Video Killed the Radio Star"
  * Additions to my guide to similarities between BF5 songs and other
songs
  * A much better photo of my BF5 tattoo

DO *NOT* WRITE TO ME ASKING ME FOR FURTHER ELABORATION ON CHORDS OR FOR
SHEET MUSIC.  I'm tired of all the inane questions I get such as "Is
there any good jazz sheet music around?" and "How do I play 'Cigarette'?"
 (Doesn't it make sense that if I had gotten around to transcribing any
other songs, I'd put them on my web site with the rest of them?)

And a final BF5 tidbit:  Also, Ben told me that they played with Devo in
Australia.  Of course, most people on this list are probably too young to
have heard of Devo...

Bye bye.

- -- Michael Bluejay  (Austin, TX * ICQ # 3749849)

P.S.  I have a 200-CD changer and damn if I'm not tempted to score a
little revenge and tell you what's in *MY* CD player...

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 22:58:53 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Correction on SNZ/Ben post

Hey i was just reading my post, which is in the MA issue #1017 about Ben
being in the new SNZ video.

I kind of used bad grammar and it sounds like i was posting about a new BFF
album in august, but really it was a SNZ album.

So please don't mail me and ask about any new BFF album cuz their ain't one!

jess

        I'm not just naked, I'm Naked for Jesus!!!
        *      --+-Read The Shrubbery-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
        --New Every Month- -Humor, News and More--

         * Ben Folds Five International Fans Page *
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/fans.html
       --Get a "Ben" Pal-  -Now Spans 11 Countries--

         *     Cousin Jess's World Wide Mess      *
   http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814
     --Tape Trading- Way Cool Links- Literary Madness--

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 23:06:24 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: Meaning of Air...

Okay, here's a "music" and non-argumentative post.

I think Air is not in fact about Godzilla, but meant to sound like it
is. Sounds more about tragedy to me. I like it, cool sounding song. When
I heard they were gonna be on the soundtrack I thought they would be
contributing something similar to Bad Idea, but I was pleasantly
surprised to hear a more melodic song.
yeah, that's it.

sean
"Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 00:01:40 EDT
From: Kamala ICB <KamalaICB@aol.com>
Subject: RE: videos

they play a lot of really cool ones during a few times....

1) 120 minutes
2) when they do the M2 hour
3) on 12 angry viewers (believe it or not)

basically MTV plays more random videos (not in a theme) during the nite time
hours from like 1 am on.....great for us insomniacs......but not so great for
everyone else

casey

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 23:52:26 EDT
From: YourPalCM <YourPalCM@aol.com>
Subject: My Pal Rusty

<< I, for one, never requested that you go over the topic of concert
 etiquette.  And I can't recall anybody else posting such a request.  So,
 if you don't feel like going over it again, then don't.

 Why let it bother you?  If you don't enjoy screaming fans at the
 concerts, then ponder this:  at the end of the show, you'll be going
 home angry and upset at a few individuals, while they'll be going home
 having enjoyed an amazing show.

 I've gone to James Taylor concerts where there were people yelling and
 screaming right next to me.  I'm not a screamer myself, but I did notice
 that these people were having a great time, and why shouldn't they?
 That is what going to concerts is about.

 So please stop acting like everybody's mother, and let people be
 themselves.

 Rusty

 P.S.  I find it amusing that you take a cheap shot with the `spell
 checker' comment, and two lines later you're using the word `poeple.'
 My spell checker oesn't have that one in it's memory. >>

********

Rusty,

I'm sorry that I offended you, and I confess to being a little annoyed in my
anyone asking for concert etiquette that prompted me to write what I did, no
more that anyone asked you to criticize my post.  It was simply a matter
feeling the need to point out something that I felt was wrong at many of the
BF5 shows that I have been to (And it seems to be more so at BF5 lately than
most of the other concerts that I have attended) - that is blantant disregard
for other people.

Please do not get the impression that I am some wuss who just stands there
lifeless at a good show.  I am there with 99% of the other people singing
along, cheering, clapping, stomping my feet to the music - I'm all for it -
everyone have a good time.  A rock concert should be more like a party than a
recital.  My post was directed at those 1% - and more like 10-20% at BF5 shows
- - that cross the line of having a great time to pissing off those around them
and not caring.

I didn't quite follow that part that started out "Ponder this..."  OK, so the
annoying person goes home happy, so what?  If I'm P.O.'ed, I'm not likely the
only person who went home annoyed - everyone else around that person went home
P.O.'ed too.  So you're saying it's OK if the annoying people enjoy the show
and piss of a dozen other people in the process.  Does that make sense to
anyone?

And I'm glad I amused you by spelling "people" wrong in my previous post.  I
must confess that I got a bit of a chuckle out of it myself.  Oops.  (But,
hey, just noticed you used the word 'oesn't' in YOUR post - what is that word?
Hehehe.  I'm just joking with you, please don't take this too seriously.  OK?)

Anyway, contrary to what you might think, I am still Your Pal.

Your Pal,
Chris Mal
(Rusty's Mother-wannabe)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 23:52:41 PDT
From: "Jessica Kinsaul" <icebox_6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Door slam in "Brick"?

Hi!
Someone mentioned that you can hear a door shut in "Brick".. I have
never heard that, and since I hadn't listened to that song in a long
time, I played it through twice to day at maximum volume, listening for
the door.. I have yet to hear it. I've heard the phone in Steven's last
night in town (which freaked me out the first time I heard it b/c it
sounds exactly like my chordless! I thought the phone was rining!), and
the crickets in Cigerette, but not the door. Can someone please tell me
exactly where it is?

- -Jessica

     "Don't just stare like you never cared
                 I know you did.
                 You just smiled
                like a bank teller,
     telling me blankly; 'Have a nice life'"

Ben Folds Five; "Selfless Cold and Composed"

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 17:53:46 +0000
From: "Alison Medhurst" <medhursta@knoxy.agvic.gov.au>
Subject: wierd noises etc - slightly off topic!

>Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 14:26:05 -0400
>From: Jason <jasonp@bhip.infi.net>
>Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1013

> yet another example of the fact that not only are BFF hugely
> talented artists, but they are pretty damn funny as well. (not that
> is would have been deliberate, but how many other bands do you know
> with that kind of stuff on their albums?) All I can say is, "Ben
> Folds is a Fuckin Asshole..."

>Only 1 other band I know of...
>Actually, at the end of the new NOFX cd, there's a clip of Howard
>Stern making fun of the band.

And don't forget Aussie band "The Whitlams" who are rather fond of
having secret tracks that comprise of the lead singers answering
machine messages interspersed with tidbits from studio sessions and
other various noises and conversations.
The Whitlams also have the piano as the main focus of the band, but
they do have a guitar player.  I think they are doing a promo tour of
America this month so keep your eyes and ears out for their stuff.
Sorry this isn't exactly on topic, but we are a little starved for
BFF stuff in Australia at the moment.......bring on July!!!
Al.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 23:46:47 EDT
From: Rocket no8 <Rocketno8@aol.com>
Subject: heads are gonna roll

<< *********IN MY STEREO RIGHT NOW**********
 SEAN LENNON- INTO THE SUN(MY AUTOGRAPHED COPY)
 BUFFALO DAUGHTER-NEW ROCK >>
mmm, good choices.  i'm seeing both at the Tibetan Freedom Concert.
- -al
sorry to go off-topic, here's a fun quote to reward your patience:
"i'd like to hear Elton John do this one song we have.  it's called "Retarded"
and it's 2 minutes long and 200 beats per minute.  i'd just really like to
hear him do it"
- -Ben, when asked who he'd like to hear cover BF5 songs

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 00:34:27 EDT
From: KNULPREK <KNULPREK@aol.com>
Subject: re: "secret track"?

<< I heard from a friend that about 40 seconds after Evaporated on the WAEA
 CD, you can hear somoene say "you want your secret track?  here's your
 secret track!"  But I listened to my WAEA CD, and the track ends right
 after the music ends.  What's the deal? >>

The "secret track" is only on the first batch of CDs. I don't really know how
many were in this first batch (not like it was the first pressings or
anything.. i mean, it's thousands or millions or something of that nature) but
somewhere along the line, they decided to make the "second batch" which
doesn't include the "secret track." Thus, that's your answer..

 -jason.
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/knulprek/home.html">The Happy Scrappy Page
</A>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 10:04:41 EDT
From: Zyah <Zyah@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1018

- -Yeah, I'd like to know when they show or have shown all the BF5 videos other
than Brick on MTV too.  Actually, I'd like to know when they play all of the
videos that aren't Hanson, the Backstreet Boys, KC & Jojo, Mariah Carey,
and/or Puff Daddy.  We shouldn't have to stay up until 3 in the morning just
to see some videos!

- -Well, maybe I'm the only one, but I thought Godzilla was good!  You know that
Japanese guy at the beginning, the one who said "Godzilla" three times?  Well,
my friend and I were laughing at that, it sounded funny [we were the only ones
laughing at it, but oh well]; plus they showed that part 4 times. :)  I
listened for Air when he went into the convenience store; I heard it faintly,
but not good enough to hear how the song was.  It would have been nice if
they'd made it as loud as Heroes was.

Lauren