Issue #1023 - May 27, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Wednesday, May 27 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1023

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...
   Accordingly, very soon I will begin purging the mailing list of any
address that bounces for any reason (e.g., too many hops, mailbox full,
no route to host), not just 'user unknown'. If you find yourself
unsubscribed, this is probably the reason.

THANKS A THOUSAND
   With the passage of 1,000 issues of the Armchair I'd like to thank
everyone for their contributions to the success of the list. We have a great
group of fans and the band is very appreciative of your support.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    blah
    Total Request
    gojeerah
    Re: sessions/MP3s
    origin of the armchair
    take me drunk im home
    Hey there!
    bastards at edgefest
    UK favour required in the interest of Anglo-American relations..
    cdr trades
    May 19 in Cincy...

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 12:18:35 +1000
From: "P.Macs girl" <julianne@ronscomputers.com.au>
Subject: blah

umm....yeah...everyone look at my page...its crap
and getting changed and yeah you know what i mean
its just a temp page...

blah

http://www.angelfire.com/me/katefolds/

JULIES AUSTRALIAN BEN FOLDS FIVE SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/me/katefolds/

I LOVE PAUL MACGROTTY!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 17:46:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Leigh <emaline5@yahoo.com>
Subject: Total Request

This goes out to everyone, especially Dustin-O.  If we e-mail MTV from
ALL of our e-mail addresses, we can defiantly do it!  Remember people,
you can't start voting until 8:00 P.M. on Wednesday!!  It would be
great to see the Backstreet Boys get kicked off the
countdown...................................

~Leigh

The Page That's Uncanny To See
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:06:25 -0400
From: vito <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: gojeerah

godzilla ruled
when bff came on we made this huge deal and got up and started spazing
about it in the theater, everyone thought we were losers.  we are... well
puff daddy came on and all these ghetto kids in front did the same so its
not my problem. oh yeah, itd be better if godzilla was a big goat instead.

whatever and ever,
vito

BBB  EEEE N   N     FFFF  OO  L    DD    SS      FFFF I V     V EEEE
B  B E    NN  N     F    O  O L    D D  S        F    I V     V E
BBB  EEE  N N N     FFF  O  O L    D D   S       FFF  I  V   V  EEE
B  B E    N  NN     F    O  O L    D D    S      F    I   V V   E
BBB  EEEE N   N     F   goATman1@geOCitiES.com   F    I    V    EEEE
- ----- http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html -----

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 19:23:30 PDT
From: "Dustin O." <doneil41@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: sessions/MP3s

I don't know about a lot of people, but I don't know how many times I've
downloaded or heard a song on the Internet and went out and bought the
CD. Hell, a lot of bands do it themselves, it's an easy way to promote
albums. But anyway, it might be stealing, but I also think in the long
run MP3's and other songs on the 'net might be a good thing. I would
never have considered buying my Pat McGee band cd if not for them.

Later, Dustin

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 19:24:24 PDT
From: "Chandra Hicks" <chanfifteen@hotmail.com>
Subject: origin of the armchair

Okay, i wasn't here when the very first digest came out.  and it's taken
me this long to actually ask this, but why is this called the magical
armchair?  i know (obviously) that it has something to do with Uncle
Walter's Magical Armchair, but why is that so significant as to name the
digest after it?  This isn't a criticism, just a contemplation.  Any
ideas?  It could have been the Sports and Wine or the Ben Folds Five or
the Joe Caparo mailing list.  Why armchair. sorry, these are my musings,
and i have a lot of free time on my hands.
chandra

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:49:06 EDT
From: Corrin108 <Corrin108@aol.com>
Subject: take me drunk im home

<< .and i
 was planning on getting 3 different experiences...one sober, one drunk, and
 one high...im just undecided  on which mood for which concert....opinions
 would be greatly appreciated. >>

um...see, i do all three, but they are such an awesome experience that i would
never dream of being anyting but sober.  I need to be able to drown myself in
the music and pay attention to every note...i cant do that drunk...plus, i get
enough of a high feeling just hearing them live anyway....do it sober.

Corinne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:50:44 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Hey there!

Hi :)

What a week for Hoosiers!!!  WHOO HOO! I'm sorry, the game was SO COOL today.
Wow.  I wish I could listen to Bob and Tom in the morning this time of year,
but I'll settle for buying CDS.  *Boom Baby!*

Anyway, I'm framing a bunch of stuff to put up on my walls, and a BFF poster
would look MIGHTY handsome.  I've got a BOWCCL single I could do without and
um...I'll beg and um..beg.  I really just want a single poster.  I'll be so
nice to you and give you money!  Please help.

Thanks and take care!
Lucy
GO PACERS!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 23:07:16 EDT
From: Jesstopuv <Jesstopuv@aol.com>
Subject: bastards at edgefest

okay i just got home from what i thought would be the best concert experiance
of my life. i finally got to see ben folds five!!! so needless to say i was
pretty thrilled. so my friend and i waited around through all the ska crap for
our beloved boys. so we start working our way up to the front. and we're about
three people from the front. and i accept the fact that i can't see im only
4'11. then they finally start and the stupid bastards start moshing. not that
theres anything wrong with moshing but theres a time and a place for
everything. okay theres nothing wrong with getting down and enjoying the show
or anything, but why do the stupid jock people have to turn it into lets see
who can get maimed first. especially the bastard in the red shirt and red
sleveless vest thinger. and then the bastrds started crowd surfing. THEY'RE
NOT A CROWD SURFING BAND DAMNIT! so i'll admit i got a little upset and more
than one little whore lost some hair and a shoe or to at my doing. and the
stupid bastards didn't even get the sarcasm when ben siad "heres a real mosh
pit favorite 'selfless, cold and composed'. do you think that made the
bastards stop? of couse not. it was an awful expierance. the only played a few
songs although very much to my liking they did not play brick. i hope it
pissed of all the little whores who are sans a shoe or two today. im sorry for
all this bitching. and i hope all you damn jocks who ruined the concert for
the rest of us are pretty damn proud of yourself.
jessie

oh yeah, if the chick that had the pig tails and the tank top that was pulling
off shoes with us email me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 12:54:32 +0000
From: "Chris Marsh" <winkie@easynet.co.uk>
Subject: UK favour required in the interest of Anglo-American relations..

hey,

i was wondering if anyone who is going to the forum show would lend
a hand to two fellow armchair members.  here's the situation:

i have two downstairs standing tix but i'll be out of the country on
29th.

a guy called jonathan currently lives in america but is moving over
here shortly. he wants to go to the show but doesn't know yet if
he'll be able to make it.

would anyone be willing to take the tix from me and give jonathan
their phone no?  if he can go, he'll ring you and arrange to meet to
hand over the tickets and send me the money. if he can't go, you sell the
tickets  and (i hope) send me at least some of the money :-)

obviously there's a fair amount of trust involved in this, but it
would be cool if my tickets could go to someone else on the armchair.
(and if i could recoup some of my losses!)  btw, i'm fairly sure that
the forum box office is open all day and, if the show is sold out,
they would probably buy back spare tix.  it's on the left of the
entrance as you face the venue - just a few steps from the pub :-)

please mail me at winkie@easynet.co.uk if you can help.

thanks,
chris
___

"There are no rules here, only piles of mistakes
 That we swear we'll learn from, then we just go ahead and make"
Dog's Eye View "What I Know Now"

winkie@easynet.co.uk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:13:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexander Jay Timin <ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject: cdr trades

Looking for ben folds five bootlegs on cd-r.  Email if you'd like to
trade.

Alex Timin
ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us
www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/9625/tradelist.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 01:05:03 EDT
From: Ferriswitt <Ferriswitt@aol.com>
Subject: May 19 in Cincy...

So I saw the show last week in Cincy and it was great of course, but just a
few things I wanted to pass on.  Halfway through the show, during one of their
little monologues, Ben says, "and here's what you've all been waiting for, our
big hit..."   Then he and the boys broke into Raindrops.  Maybe this means
nothing, but I thought it was a pretty sweet way to introduce the song, and it
certainly shows his sense of humor and their feeling towards that song about
"taking your dog to the vet".  Eh, Comrades?  Oh, and I know that there were
quite a few people were there from this list, so if anyone could forward me a
set list, I'd love it.  Also, are there any plans for the June 1 show at
Blossom?