Issue #988 - May 11, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest      Monday, May 11 1998      Volume 01 : Number 988

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    more stuff
    Shoreline show - free tickets
    Sessions at West 54th
    austin show
    stuff
    bf5 on video
    Lounge-A-Palooza/Brick Single
    Re: random comments from me
    (no subject)
    testing.  new on the list.
    BFF Rocks Hollywood...again 5/9 (long)
    Bus Stop, Kate, Kung Fu Fighting
    Article
    Brick?

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 00:03:12
From: delocke@usa.net
Subject: more stuff

two things this time, one serious ( or as serious as things get on this list) , and one somewhat whimsical.

1. there seems to be quite an interest in getting a group together for the SPAC show, so if the two others who had posted messages to that end don't mind, can everyone interested email me? I will in all likelyhood be able to go, so if anyone interested can email me (more or less to get an idea of how many are coming), we'll set up a place, and post it on the Armchair.

2. I saw the movie 'Shine' the other nite and i noticed that the actor who plays the teenage-young adult David (like when he goes to England and is studying there, with the long hair) looks quite a bit like Ben. Has anyone else noticed this??

'So much time, so little to say.'

Anand

Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 18:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Eric Matsuda <ejmatsuda@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Shoreline show - free tickets

On the radio today I heard a commercial for a store called Monsters of
Rock, wher ethey sell t-shirts and piercings and stuff, and at the end it
said you can go pick up free tickets to the Ben Folds Five show while
supplies last.  the store is on De Anza Blvd. in San Jose, but I don't
know the address.  I swear to God I'm not affiliated with the store, in
fact I've never heard of it until today.  I imagine they're lawn tickets.
Again the store's called Monsters of Rock.  there are two locations, but
the tickets are only at the De Anza Blvd. store.  Good luck, and if anyone
manages to get some tell us.  i'm curious to see if they really had any.
I hope this gets out to people before the show

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 21:35:21 -0400
From: "Beckmann" <Beckmanns@erinet.com>
Subject: Sessions at West 54th

To All of you Dayton area Fivers-
	I know its late and I hope you get this on time but Sessions at West 54th
is playing tonight (5/9) at 11:00!  So hurry!! Set your VCR now!!!  I hope
it isn't too late.  I fyou missed it you can E-mail you and well talk about
me dubbing you my tape-- for free!!  Sorry--- HURRY!!!!!
- ---Jill

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 21:22:46 -0500
From: Clayton Smith <ctsmith@onr.com>
Subject: austin show

I read in the paper today that due to the fact that BFF is playing austin the same night as the seinfield series finale, they are gonna move doors to 10:00 pm. This really makes me mad because there isnt jack i can do about it. Im gonna call Austin Music Hall asap to verify but has anyone else heard this??
Thanks.

Clayton
ctsmith@onr.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 22:08:30 -0500
From: Stephanie Janda <sbjanda@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: stuff

hi
 Brian I was just writing to say that I agree with you about Dave
Matthews.  Please noone folame me either but I do believe that he is a
bit overrated.  I did not like the first album, the others are a little
more tolerable.  I think the thing that I really dont like is his
voice.  I admire him as a musician but I simply believe that he might be
a little overrated. Joey...do or did you live in San Antonio?  I really
like Spies Like Us also.  A guy that I had classes with in high school
opened up for them a couple of times. Well I need to go do sutff.
Steph

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 98 23:47:06 PDT
From: "Justin" <jking01@mail.tds.net>
Subject: bf5 on video

Okay.  So apparently both my Lansing and Detroit PBS stations have dropped
sessions at west 54th from their schedule.  Instead I get Masterpiece
Theater.
Wasn't that mainly on Sundays anyway?  Well, my point is, I was hoping that
someone
else could possibly tape it for me.  Or, if someone has it, I'd be very
interested in trading
for that and other appearences.  The only ones I have are Brick on Leno,
Letterman, and SNL,
plus the videos for Brick and Uncle Walter.
I only have about 7 bootlegs of BF5 concerts, but I have well over a
hundred Smashing Pumpkins
bootlegs if anyone would be interested in those.
here is the address
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/3357

Oh.  I guess I'll do that 5 concerts thing
1. The Smashing Pumpkins & Fountains of Wayne  -  Toledo, Ohio 1/22/97
	for any SP fans: 35 minute Silverfuck/Zoom/Spiders - nuff said
2. Ben Folds Five - Pontiac, MI 2/16/98
	Definitely the best in terms of having fun
3. Pumpkins & Garbage - Grand Rapids, MI 10/28/96
4. Pumpkins & Grant Lee Buffalo - East Lansing, MI 9/20/96
5. R.E.M. & Radiohead - East Lansing, MI 10/28/95

I know this will change because I've got 2 BF5 concerts & 3 Pumpkins
concerts this summer.
woo-hoo!
- -Justin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 23:45:54 EDT
From: Phisher XC <PhisherXC@aol.com>
Subject: Lounge-A-Palooza/Brick Single

Well I picked up my copy of Lounge-A-Palooza and am right now listening to Ben
and The Boys, I totally dig it and all the other stuff on their too.  Okay,
now here's my question...while I was at the store picking up this wonderful
CD, I happened to see some copy's of the Brick single...there were two
different imports from England and the one from Australia...I didn't buy the
two British imports, but I'm pretty sure I will soon.  I already own the
Australian one, and my question is....(drum roll please) does anyone know how
many different copies of the Brick single there are?

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 23:55:54 EDT
From: Gunther256 <Gunther256@aol.com>
Subject: Re: random comments from me

JoeyK --

About the Paula Cole thing:

I'm not really sure why this was brought up here, but that's a bit irrelevant
at the moment.  Anyway......

I haven't got a clue where you came up with the anti-feminist bit.  From
listening to the song (it's ****ing horrible, I hate it!) I get just the
opposite impression.  She seems like the ultrafeminist to me.  "I'll go do the
dishes; you go have a beer" sounds like the typical ultrafeminist complaint
that men slack off while women do the 'real work.'  It's entirely possible
that I'm biased, but I'm getting really sick of hearing stupid ultrafeminists
interpreting minor things as incredibly insulting comments.  I may or may not
be a pro-feminist myself; I've never found a truly clear definition of
feminism.

Anyway, I wasn't really sure I wanted to do this, but I guess I'll do the
favorite artists thing (in no particular order, and this list changes fairly
frequently).  Out of boredom with the usual, I'll list my 7 (hah!) favorite
artists besides Ben Folds Five:
1. Aerosmith
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Cream
4. Pearl Jam
5. Steely Dan
6. They Might Be Giants
7. Cherry-Poppin' Daddies

- - Rob
Inigima
for more info.  Major update coming this weekend.

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 00:01:01 EDT
From: Zyah <Zyah@aol.com>
Subject: (no subject)

Hey, I have a question.  I have a friend in CA who can't find or get the first
BFF album.  Would it be illegal to make a copy of it and send it to her..she's
not giving me any money or anything for it.    ?

Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 07:59:24 +0200
From: "It's Me" <lucider@unforgettable.com>
Subject: testing.  new on the list.

Hi.  I just barely subscribed to this list, and thought I'd test out a
post.  Anyone from the Toad the Wet Sprocket list on here?

I've been a Ben Folds fan since seeing them at horde, and have since seen
them twice more and had the good fortune to sneak in during a sound check
to see them practice before a Phoenix show....even got my CD signed by Ben
and Darren.

I'm a School Psychologist who recently became a single foster parent, and I
have two 8 year old kids placed with me who are now becoming big Ben Folds
fans too...since I play it constantly.

Uncle Walter happens to be my favorite Ben Folds song, so I like the name
of this list.

Was there a rule about rambling?  :)   Sorry.  Just testing.

Steve.

- -----------------------------------------
lucider@unforgettable.com
<http://www.cyberhighway.net/~lucid/>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 04:34:24 EDT
From: Garit RN <GaritRN@aol.com>
Subject: BFF Rocks Hollywood...again 5/9 (long)

Hi again,

I saw BFF for the 6th time tonight (7th if you count Leno).  They played at
the huge Hollywoood Palladium here in So Cal.  The few highlights of the long
wait in line were separate Robert and Darren sightings.  (the boys decided to
take strolls down Sunset Blvd.)  The bootleg t-shirt guys were trying to sell
the most god-awful apparel I've ever seen.  It looked like a cheap football
shirt...anyway before I got it the mean middle-aged bouncer told me I wouldn't
be able to get my recorder in, so I was very bummed.  However, the security
guy who searched didn't seem to care!  Poor Dan wasn't so lucky.  Despite his
insistance and the infamous Official BFF Taping Policy letter, they made him
front of the one security guy in the front. =(

Superdrag came out at 7:30 sharp and did an okay set.  The dam Japanese girl
Janet strikes again!  She got to be up on stage for Superdrag's set.  A bit
too guitarry for me.  At least they weren't obnoxious, as they have been known
to be at other shows.  4 piece band with 2 guitars, bass, and drums for those
not in the know.

I soon discovered that I was waaay to close to a Palladium security guy to
tape the show.  So I was forced to move a couple rows back to the left.  Their
security is quite ridiculous.  They made Camille go back to her car because
her Weezer button had a sharp pin.  geez, what's she gonna do?  Stab people
with her pin?  There goes the evil stabbin' pin chick!  watch out...

At 8:40 a KROQ lady came out (forgive me for not identifying her, I'm not a
big radio person) and did the "they'll be out in a few minutes thing."  5
minutes later BFF came out.  Robert was wearing a red longsleeve "cowboy"
shirt.  Darren wore matching a forrest green long-sleeved shirt and pants,
with mismatching blue socks.  Ben wore a long-sleeved yellow plaid shirt and
jeans.  They opened with:

One Angry Dwarf
Underground - edited version without the cool in school beginning.  why, Ben,
why?
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
"thanks ya'll" - ben speaks!
Eddie Walker
a guy yells out "Ben Folds you're my hero!"  Ben seems pleased.
(four songs and no banter, what's up?)
Philosophy
Emaline - still no banter!!
Robert - "Everybody in the front's havin a good time.  They're actually in the
lead for havin the best time."
Ben - "aw hell yeah.  Can I hear a hell yeah?"
Crowd - "hell yeah!"
Ben - "Those who have seen us before will know what this song is called.  It's
called Steven's Last Night in Town."  Ben in the front with the melodica, as
usual.  Ben pulls a "Steven Page" and extends the end of the song.  "Steeeen's
Laaaast Niiiiight..."
Bluesy jam - Ben - "This song is called Dig Robert's Shirt."
Rob - "Dig my dig my dig my dig my shirt!!!
Ben - "This song is called Dig Robert's Shirt.  He looks like a cowboy.  He
acts like a cowboy.  He swears like a cowbody.  He swears like Robert Sledge
plays.  Play it on Robert, now."
Fair
Brick - Ben- "There's Jody handing Robert the bass.  He's heading off to New
Jersey in a few minutes to dedicate his new godchild.  I just wanted to
dedicate part of the set to Eric Brown."  -  (How much and what part hmm?)
Is it just me or does the "she broke down, and i broke down" part sound a bit
interesting live.  Ben kinda crushes the "K".  maybe it's just me.
Here's where the set REALLY picks up!!
Tom and Mary!!!!! - with extended opening
Rob - "We're Spinal Tap.  Every single night somethin' wrong." - supercool
ref, Rob
Alice Childress!!!! - they haven't done this in god knows how long
Ben - "Thanks ya'll.  Last month we were uh.  I guess we were kinda like asked
permission or whatever the term is to do a song for the Godzilla soundtrack.
So we did somethin.  They turned that one down.  Wrote another one that day.
The words started out being:

There's a big green monster steppn on houses
There's alot of people browning their trousers.

Ben - "I guess it's gonna be on the Godzilla soundtrack.  It's called:

Air!!!!! - pretty good song...sorta similar to a song with almost the same
name, Fair.  Maybe I'll put it up on the web as an mp3...

Raindrops Keep Fallin on My Head!!!!!!

Ben - "We had the honor of playing that with Burt Bacharach a few weeks ago.
It was one of the highlights...uh..."
Rob - "We spent all this money on one single video.  This one's called:
Battle of Who Could Careless
Video!! - Ben - "Thanks for coming out every time we come to Los Angeles.
This is probably the last time we'll be playing here for awhile."
Smoke
Ben - "We're gonna end this with a breakup song."
Song for the Dumped
Encore:
Took longer than usual for them to come out..oh well.
Evaporated!!!  Ben promised Janet they'd do Evaporated for this tour and they
pulled through.  Cool beans.
Julianne

Well, that's show number 6.  Pretty darn average in the first half,  full of
surprises in the second.  On to the 4th & B this Monday!

If you wanna trade for a copy of the show, I can do the CD-R thing from my
Sony Mini-Disc recorder.  (MZ-R30 for the obsessed)

See ya,

Larry

http://members.aol.com/CButchers - The Unofficial Candy Butchers page

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:31:38
From: mikgle@globalnet.co.uk
Subject: Bus Stop, Kate, Kung Fu Fighting

Two things:

1] I was at work (in the sandwich factory :^)) and over the radio they
played that "My girl" song - (the one that goes, "i got sunshine.. on a
cloudy day..."), and it struck me (again - i'd also noticed this the first
time i heard "kate") how similar the bass line is to that of "kate"... so,
am i the only one to think this??? if not, do people think that this was a
deliberate adaptation of the My Girl bass line? The songs are both adoring,
head-over-heels crush type songs... or is it just coincidence??
What do armchairers think?

2] Single of the week in a, erm, highly credible magazine (ok, so it was
the kids supplement in the Sunday papers) was a cover of "Kung Fu Fighting"
by.... BUS STOP! I was in a total state of shock - until i read onwards and
i'm guessing it was unlikely to be *The* Bus Stop that some of us know and
love. It kind of became apparent when they described it as "the party
anthem of the year" and "thumping". Also the crappy picture of some phat
"chaps" in purple shell suits, are not quite how i imagined Chuck... :^)

unless of course, they're following in Ben's footsteps and turning to
techno...

@nn@

~ if you don't ask me out to dinner i don't eat

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:02:31 -0400
From: "John Felten" <Sammy7@gte.net>
Subject: Article

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD7C0B.82B004A0

Hey armchairers.  I just finished typing up the "Riot Scene" article on my
web site.  Just go to current news, then go to articles, then go to the
"Riot Scene" article.  Check it out!

                                   Page For The Dumped
       -----------> http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html
<--------------

~Marie

By the way, I bet none of you, who have the "Riot Scene" mag, saw the quote
from BFF on the last page of the mag.  He said:

"Just having a short-haired piano player front your band is enough to get
you labeled geeks."
  Ben Folds, Ben Folds Five
- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD7C0B.82B004A0

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Hey armchairers.  I just finished =
typing up the "Riot Scene" article on my web site.  Just =
go to current news, then go to articles, then go to the "Riot =
Scene" article.  Check it out!<br><br> =
            &=
nbsp;           &n=
bsp;         Page For The =
Dumped<br>       -----------> =
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html =
way, I bet none of you, who have the "Riot Scene" mag, saw the =
quote from BFF on the last page of the mag.  He =
said:<br><br>"Just having a short-haired piano player front your =
band is enough to get you labeled geeks."<br>  Ben Folds, Ben =
Folds Five</p>

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 09:59:18 PDT
From: "Jessica Kinsaul" <icebox_6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Brick?

Hi!
I was just wondering what ppl think of the ppl who started to really
like Ben Folds Five b/c of "Brick", and ppl who HATE Ben Folds Five b/c
of "Brick". I mean some ppl center their whole opinion of Ben Folds Five
around Brick, which isn't right. I've heard things such as; "They are
too mellow" ???? and "They're depressing" ??! That irks me so bad that
ppl will categorize them when they don't even know their music. I mean,
there are what 3 slow songs on Whatever including Brick.. 1 slow song on
self-titled, and well, more than that on Naked Baby Photos. I don't
know, maybe I'm just being weird.. Any opinions?

- -Jessica

    "Margery's wingspan's all feathers and coke cans, and
    TV dinners and letters she won't send, and
    Every race night is shot through with sunlight,
    trying to hit the big one one last time tonight..."