Issue #990 - May 12, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Tuesday, May 12 1998     Volume 01 : Number 990

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

    Mother's cut request
    BFF on MTV again!!!
    my two cents on the whole mtv mothers day thing.
    June 14th in Hotlanta?!?!?!?
    Re: Lounge-A-Palooza/Brick Single
    RE:mothers cut
    Re: May 9th at the Palladium
    MP3s?
    June 14 in Atlanta
    Drummers' Night Out--Palladium Show
    favorite concerts
    Susan where are you?
    over 24 hours without sleep! woo hoo!
    Its great being a bitch :)
    lounge-a palooza
    New Orleans show for trade
    Ben and the boys BACK in Atlanta!!!!
    Hmm...concerts!

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:24:39 -0400
From: cambot@juno.com
Subject: Mother's cut request

Okay, seeing as I don't have cable & all & I just found out about it on
the day none of my friends were free to tape it, would anyone be willing
to make a copy of their Mothers cut video for me? I wil trade other video
things (from that Armchair Video that not enough people wanted to
contribute to) to trade for it, or howsabout 3 bootlegs? You can check
out my page at:

http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/mezzanine/2495

Thanx for reading this little delay. Now on with the rest of the
Armchair!!!!

Story begins with explosion.
Steve!

PS, whatever happened to that Teleconned CD? I checked nearly all the
music stores in my area & nobody had it.

Ends with explosion.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:50:44 EDT
From: Gg101 <Gg101@aol.com>
Subject: BFF on MTV again!!!

Guess what fellow armchair members, this coming Sunday, May 17, MTV has some
sort of special on GODZILLA.  They will also be taking a look at its
soundtrack and there is the possibility we might get to hear some of "Air" so
check it out.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 18:53:34 PDT
From: "chrissy cramer" <rccmeg@hotmail.com>
Subject: my two cents on the whole mtv mothers day thing.

once again, bff are completely cool.

i am now in desperate need of a video tape from someone, ANYONE, with
all the videos on it.

but i digress. if anyone has one and is willing to let me send you a
blank video to copy, etc etc, mail me privately.

but to ME the coolest part of the whole thing was the commercial with
scotty where they show ben doing his little dance..'that he used to do
in the department store when we were trying on clothes. it would make
him look really slow'.  that was great. i was about to pee my pants from
laughing. i wish i could have recorded the commercial too along with the
show.

i have so many relatives that sound like scotty by the way... :-)

'ill send my best...cause god knows youve seen my worst'

this is my story humble and true, take it to pieces and mend it with
glue.

everyones favorite chrissy(the silly old bananafish)

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:03:04 EDT
From: Pianogtar <Pianogtar@aol.com>
Subject: June 14th in Hotlanta?!?!?!?

Where is the tabernacle located in Atlanta and How much are the tickets for
the show?? I live 150 miles away in sparkle (Not really) city also know as
spartanburg SC. Knowing that it is on a sunday also makes it an easily
accessible show to probably get to, The only problem is that I would want
someone to go with me (Which I don't have as of yet) and the traffic of do or
die in Atlanta (Yes people drive like hell bent maniacs in Atlanta and if you
are an out of towner you usually get pulled over or get runned over.)  But
anywho if anyone has any information please email me or post the information
on the forum.

5 coolest concerts

#1 2 skinnee J's at the Magnolia St. Pub 04/28/98
#2 Bff at the Tremont Music Hall 10/17/97
#3 Fiona Apple at the Grady Cole center  10/10/97
#4 96 wavefest in 1995 featuring Cake, Edwin McCain, and Meat Puppets
#5 Albert Hill at the Magnolia St. Pub 07/25/96

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:19:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: punx@psnw.com
Subject: Re: Lounge-A-Palooza/Brick Single

>Australian one, and my question is....(drum roll please) does anyone know how
>many different copies of the Brick single there are?

I believe there are 4.
UK CD slim case: Brick/Smoke (live) from Morning Becomes Eclectic same as
the CMJ       version/Song For the Dumped (Japanese Version) same as on the
Japanese WEAEA
UK CD sleeve: Brick/Missing the War (live)/She Don't Use Jelly taken from
Lounge-a-palooza
Japanese CD jewel case: Brick/Smoke (live) same version as above/Kate Ska
Remix/Fair       Disco Remix/Mitchell Lane
Australian CD sleeve: I don't have this CD but I'm pretty sure the
tracklisting is the     same as the Japanese version minus Fair.

And for those of you that don't know already, the Remixes are not ska or
disco.  They are just mixes with strings added in.  I pretty sure they are
the album recording with those added in.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:34:16 EDT
From: TarintinoQ <TarintinoQ@aol.com>
Subject: RE:mothers cut

i missed it does anyone know when it will be on again?
please tell me

mcgregor

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:39:14 EDT
From: Sentabmx <Sentabmx@aol.com>
Subject: Re: May 9th at the Palladium

WOW!! Last night was one of the best nights of my life!!! I saw the boys at
the Palladium and I am still on a high.  My two friends and I got there at
1:30 (five hours before the doors even opened) because we were determined to
get the front row.  anyways, we had fun waiting in line, except for getting
hassled by the fat-ass security guard who farted at us and stuff.  He was
soooooo raunchy! and then we got in and saw our beautiful boys up close and
personal and I just about died.  Well, let me back up: first, Superdrag came
on and I had a bit of a crush on the adorable drummer, so i kept staring at
him, and then he noticed I was practically drooling over him so he started
smiling at us and stuff.  then, the boys came on and put on an incredible
show! and ben kept lookin down at everyone and flashing that smile that melts
my heart every time his cheeks move into his adorable dimples.  and after the
show, and after getting hassled by more security guards, we met the band and
took pictures with them.  i had them sign my CD cover, and I got to hold
Darren's beer!!!!!! I'm sorry to bore you all with this trivial info, but I am
so excited about every little thing that has to do with the band.  oh, and I
met Lauren, a fellow Armchair member.  She was really cool and she and her
friend helped us to get pictures with the band when these two drunk girls were
trying to get on the boys.  Hi Lauren! Remember me, I'm the one that wants to
shag Ben on top of his piano! sorry.  Anyways, I am extremely envious of all
of you that will be going to more shows on their tour and I hope you all have
a great time!!!!
- -Erin

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:51:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert Stevie Berryman Jr." <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: MP3s?

does anyone no where i can get some old MP3s like "coolwhip" and "rocky"?

- --
R. Stevie Berryman
gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:13:39 EDT
From: SouperDv <SouperDv@aol.com>
Subject: June 14 in Atlanta

Hey ya'll(Tennessean who never posts here)
Tickets for the Atlanta show are $20.00 ($24.50 through ticket
master...losers)
Its at the Tabernacle Theater...have no clue how large it is

Oh, top five bands?
1. Ben Folds
2. Soundgarden
3. U2
4. Pearl Jam
5. Alice in Chains
(What, no Barenaked Ladies or Radiohead?...God forbid!)

Top five concerts
1. Soundgarden @ Municipal, Nashville 11/96
2. Ben Folds @ Roxy, Atlanta 9/97
3. Ben Folds @ 328 Performance Hall, Nashville 9/97
4. Fiona Apple @ Ryman Auditorium, Nashville 8/97
5. Ben Folds @ Riverstages Nashville 5/2/98

Later Muchachos
SuperDave

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 20:18:53 -0700
From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
Subject: Drummers' Night Out--Palladium Show

First off, Superdrag and BFF--fantastic combo cuz I like both of them.

Ironically, I had more fun with Superdrag than with BFF.  Seriously.

Too many pricks in line.
But as Don Coffey would say LA is West "F*ck You", USA

**NOTE:  I'm sorry I have to say this, but it bothers me.  I am always
the one that has to wait in line 4 hours before the show so people can
come later and cut in line with me just because they know me from the
armchair.  Occasionally I'll show some charity, but people, it's hard
when I have to waste my time coming early so you can take your time and
come late.  Especially when I don't even know you that well.  Especially
when you bring other people I don't know in line.  And it's quite unfair
to the people who were waiting in line behind me hours earlier too.  Of
course set meetings (like I was saving a place for my friends who had to
come late) are totally fine.  But please, I want to be nice, but I don't
want to be taken advantage of.

Moving on...
Eric the roadie of Superdrag asked me if I was a fan of Superdrag and I
said yes so he had me run an errand for him and in exchange let me watch
them onstage.  He also gave me a setlist too.  After they performed I
still got front row for BFF.
But all I could see was Rob.  And Ben's feet.

They finally played Evaporated.  Beautiful.  The same pricks were waving
their arms in the air and laughing during the song.

After the show I met up with Don Coffey (Superdrag drummer) at their
bus.  He let me and these other two gals I just met, on the bus where
his friends were and made us drinks.  He was the sweetest guy.  Then his
friends left and it was just the four of us and we talked about
everything from catholicism to IN-N-OUT.

Then we were joined by Darren Jessee who was locked out of his bus and
came to ours for some beer and weed.  It was great vegging and talking
with the two drummers.

Then the Superdrag tour manager (schmack, I forget his name) joined us.
He was also a drummer.  Darren eventually left with the rest of the
band.  But we stayed with Don for hours making peanut butter sandwiches,
playing with the band's toys and telling stories until the rest of
Superdrag came back to the bus from their Hollywood party.  John was
wonderful as well.  Right before we left they took pictures with
us.
Didn't leave the venue til 1:30.
I must say I had an eventful night.

I'm also saying goodbye to armchair.  Loved it a year ago, but not too
much anymore.

With...a...cigarette,
Janet.
- --
My Mom Says I'm Cool.  http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/sparkie.htm

My Heroes I Confess.  http://members.tripod.com/~peachfish/BenFoldsFive/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:43:12 PDT
From: "garrett weindorf" <garrett32@hotmail.com>
Subject: favorite concerts

I'm bored so I guess I'll list a few of my favorite concerts...

1. Jerry Lee Lewis--4/17/98 Tulsa, Ok
2. Elton John--Nov. '97 Oklahoma City, Ok
3. Jerry Lee Lewis--Oct '97 Kansas City, Mo
4. Rolling Stones--Oct '97 Norman, Ok
5. B.B. King--Nov. 95 Tulsa, Ok (met him!)
6. Leon Russell--too many times to count, always rockin'
7. Beach Boys--Tulsa,Ok 96
8. 1964 "The Tribute"--The best Beatles tribute around!

 Hopefully someday Ben Folds Five will be in there somewhere...  =(

  -garrett

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 06:56:24 +0200
From: "It's Me" <lucider@unforgettable.com>
Subject: Susan where are you?

Hi.  There was somebody on here named Susan who I intended to reply to, and
then I deleted the email.  ARe you here?  You listed some of your favorite
bands, and mine were also on your list.  Therefore I wanted to find out
more about the two on the list I had not heard of.  Write back if you can.
Thanks,
S.

- -----------------------------------------
lucider@unforgettable.com
<http://www.cyberhighway.net/~lucid/>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 04:52:46 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: over 24 hours without sleep! woo hoo!

<< Hey, I have a question.  I have a friend in CA who can't find or get the
first
 BFF album.  Would it be illegal to make a copy of it and send it to
her..she's
 not giving me any money or anything for it.    ? >>
Where in Cali does she live? I live in the Bay Area, they have tons here!
Also, I was just in LA and they also have tons there too. I think she needs to
look a bit harder.
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 05:02:27 EDT
From: Snowwite67 <Snowwite67@aol.com>
Subject: Its great being a bitch :)

<< I was just wondering what ppl think of the ppl who started to really
 like Ben Folds Five b/c of "Brick", and ppl who HATE Ben Folds Five b/c
 of "Brick".  >>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Hon, where have you been??? this has been run
into the ground. Please no one respond to this on the list. If you do I will
personally come and kick your ass.
- -Lauren

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:19:35 +0100 (BST)
From: ER Burningham <u7g83@ugg.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: lounge-a palooza

hi,
sorry to bug people but i was just wondering if that louge-a-palooza thing
is available in the uk....also what;s on it, thanks.
love
em

oh, ps i have about 3 hours woth of video of bff on american tapes (i had it
converted), i want the underground and sftd and even kate if poss. videos
(all the other videos are on the ones i have)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:19:14 EDT
From: Rosejmort <Rosejmort@aol.com>
Subject: New Orleans show for trade

HI folks,
I evaluated my recording of the New Orleans show, and decided that even with
some talking on it, it's decent enough for trade. I would give it a B-. Here's
the set list:
1. Theme from Dr. Peyser
2. Battle of Who Could Care Less
3. Selfless, Cold, and Composed
4. Philosophy
5. Last Polka
6. Kate
7. Steven’s Last Night
8. Fair
9. Evaporated
10. Brick
11. Song for the Dumped
12. She Don’t Use Jelly
13. Julianne
14. Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head
15. One Angry Dwarf & 200 Solemn Faces
16. Boxing
17. Underground

I will trade for bootlegs, etc, or else 2:1 Maxell II tapes with cases plus
return postage.
Please e-mail me if interested.
Rose

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:58:18 EDT
From: FieryLox <FieryLox@aol.com>
Subject: Ben and the boys BACK in Atlanta!!!!

Hey all!  I just noticed how many responses there were to the Atlanta show,
and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in maybe meeting up with
some other Armchair people at the show...I would be willing to help organize
it.  If anyone wants to meet up, drop me an e-mail at FieryLox@aol.com
sometime before June 14 (BIG SHOW DAY!!!!) and I'll keep up a list and send
out mails whenever it's appropriate!

Toodles!
Sara
(Already got my six tickets for my little posse of BFF fans!)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 12:16:28 EDT
From: FieryLox <FieryLox@aol.com>
Subject: Hmm...concerts!

I don't really have a post, per se, but I wanted to post my favorite concerts!

1.  Ben Folds Five/Coca-Cola Roxy/Atlanta, GA/October 16, 1997--not only the
best show of my short life, but the best day!  (Ginger, Jessica, and
Jordan--you know what I mean!)

2.  Barenaked Ladies/Variety Playhouse/Atlanta, GA/September 25, 1996--the guy
from Geggy Tah, the opening band, tried to pull me onstage, but this rude
security guard just stood in front of me and shook his head.  Anyway, BNL
played my absolute favorite song, Blame It On Me, and !Material Girl!...plus I
was front row...it was awesome.

3.  The Cure/Lakewood Amphitheatre/Atlanta, GA/September 6, 1996--my best
friend had an extra ticket, he told me "I can't get a date...you wanna go?".
Even though I THOUGHT I hated the Cure, this concert COMPLETELY converted me.
I usually hate big arena shows (BFF at Lakewood was certainly...different),
but this band just totally possessed (sp?) the stage and every one of the
5,000 people around it.

4.  Elton John/Omni (RIP!)/Atlanta, GA/I don't remember the date!--my mom
stood in line and got twelfth row tickets...Elton is THE MAN!  I do wish I had
gone to the Billy Joel/Elton John show where they were together.  He did the
Diet Coke thing...it was kinda sad to see.

5.  Ben Folds Five/Roxy/Atlanta, GA/April 21, 1996--my first club show, AND my
first BFF show...it was a free concert, too!  Lots of drunk frat guys, but a
wonderful show nonetheless--and I get to be one of the few, the proud, the
early who got to hear the magnificent performance of "Video Killed The Radio
Star"!  Too cool.

OK, I feel so winded now!  Or is it unwinded?

Toodles!
Sara