Issue #992 - May 13, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Wednesday, May 13 1998    Volume 01 : Number 992

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    I wish I was a video director-I wish I was Hype Williams!
    addys and boots...
    Atlanta
    Re:Hollywood Paladium Show - 5/9
    Atlanta June 14th
    Sessions at West 54th
    no point at all
    shoreline show review
    blah blah blah
    You mean it's not over?!?!
    just a letter to elise
    SAn Diego, 5/11
    tabernacle

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:31:10 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com
Subject: I wish I was a video director-I wish I was Hype Williams!

So since I think too much,
.......This morning I was dancing around to SLNIT in the morning before
school.  I was pulling some chorus line moves as best I could when I
suddenly had a brilliant idea for a video for SLNIT.   First, we
definetly have to get the late nite homeboy block party element in there
(Re:Loungin' by Ladies Love Cool James!!)  So every bodys jiving and
grooving to Ben and his story and at certain elements we have lines of
people doing these complicated dance moves, Busby Berkley like.  Ben
would be dancing on his piano.   And there should definetly be a "Steven"
in the video.  Too bad BFF dont record for dreamworks...then Steve could
be Stevie Spielberg.  Hee hee hee.
Does anyone else share my vision?  They really should.  Its the most
broadwayish song.
I want to be a video director idea guy.
That could be a good thread-video ideas!
~Elisabeth
I was talking a test today and BOWCCL was RAGING through my head.  Crazy!
"Imitation is suicide"-Emerson
Oh! That quotes kind of ironic!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:30:15 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com
Subject: addys and boots...

hey ya'll.......

i realize this isnt the best place to do this but it is my last
resort....  will the following poeple e mail me:

- -- garrick ( from CA )
- -- carl sylvester
- -- jason kilts

these are all reguarding bootlegs, and possible a question or two!!
thanks so much and sorry for using up space for this.

second of all, people that have taped ANY shows on this tour, PLEASE e
mail me!!!  good or bad copy, id like to get my hands on it!!  i have
LOTS to trade....  (http://come.to/bffboots)  lemme know...alright???

- -philip

p.s.- anyone have a list of confirmed bands for jamboree '98 so far????
i'd like to know, if you know!!

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:09:26 EDT
From: BlueJellow <BlueJellow@aol.com>
Subject: Atlanta

In case you didn't see in previous posts, the Atlanta show is 20.00 and I'm
gonna be there!! I see that a ton of people are gonna be there too.  I'm going
with two forty year olds and a fifteen year old and myself (another fifteen
year old) so if you want to know who I am, I'll be the teenager that's really
really embarrassed.

The Tabernacle is the place that  Dave Matthew's Band Played at from Live at
the 10 spot a couple weeks ago.  It was on t.v. It's a fairly big place.  I
have been told they made it look bigger than it actually is, but I don't care!
I HAVE TICKETS!

So, is anyone meeting? I'd really like to meet some of you!  I know there are
a lot of people that want to kick my ass, so just tell me where to meet you
and you can beat the shit out of me!!!!

Thanks
Lucy

"Shit! I hate it when my schwartz gets twisted!!!!"------Dark Helmet (or Rick
Moranis)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:51:08 EDT
From: POWRPOPGRL <POWRPOPGRL@aol.com>
Subject: Re:Hollywood Paladium Show - 5/9

<<the Palace last time they played in L.A. (I think it was around February)
and felt that the performace was lacking this time>>

I was at the Feb8 Palace show in Hollywood too. That performance was
definitely more energetic. At the Palladium show, I have a feeling the venue
conditions might've affected their enthusiasm this time 'round. The heat &
lack of ventilation inside that place, coupled with the body heat from all
those dancing bodies (lol) was stifling. Notice that Robert was a little less
animated, and Ben didn't even drop trou this time. Come to think of it there
was no piano top Elvis posturing this time either!

And was it just me or did Robert seem kinda perturbed that everytime he tried
to do his pogo schtick that it incited everyone else to do the same & he'd
stop like it pissed him that everyone was copying his moves!

Seering heat notwithstanding, this girl can't complain. Got to hear the cover
of Raindrops Keep Falling & the new Godzilla tune. All in all...not a bad
haul. :)

And altho, I didn't bandwagon with Brick, I am new to the list. Welcome me,
why don'cha. lol.

- -Monica
powrpopgrl@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:58:27 EDT
From: Liberty 98 <Liberty98@aol.com>
Subject: Atlanta June 14th

Hey kiddies,

I've never posted before, but after being on here for a year I just had to
exclaim with joy that I got my tickets today for the June 14th concert at the
Tabernacle =)  For those who want info, it was $47 for two tickets (sit where
you want) through ticketmaster - you can do the math.
Anyway, just wondering who else in the Atlanta area will be going....and it
shall be good =)

Andrea
Liberty98@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:04:55 -0500
From: finejade@juno.com (Fine Jade)
Subject: Sessions at West 54th

ugh!! i cant believe i missed it!! i missed it the 1st time!! can anyone
please tell me if it'll come back on again?? i hope it does. ugh!! *slaps
forehead* maybe maybe maybe it'll come back on??

oh to stephanie at sjoson@reginadominican.pvt.k12.il.us, where is the
vintage vinyl?? is it in the downtown area of evanston? r there more bff
stuff there? im sorry, but ive never been there b4. just wondering about
wut the place has.

to michelle at mscott@stny.lrun.com, yes i agree w/ u 100%. im sorry but
i luv bff. however, i heard of them bcuz of brick. and i luv their other
songs too. its not just brick. in fact, im kinda getting tired of brick.
im glad im not the only one out there.

im sorry if im a bit late w/ everything. i just recently subscribed to
armchair.

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:30:15 -0600
From: Deidre <a0028897@airmail.net>
Subject: no point at all

I loathe Dave Matthews Band.

Always,
Deidre

P.S. Where are you Michael Bluejay?!

**I'm not Jesus though we have the same initials**  Jarvis Cocker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:40:44 -0700
From: arden elisabeth <melancholy@mindspring.com>
Subject: shoreline show review

this was my first bff show...i wasn't able to go to the last two they had
in sf and i didn't get into them until like last august. ok, i'm a loser,
i'll move on now. :)

we arrived at the shoreline around 2, the show was to start at 4. for those
of you who don't know, the shoreline is this huge huge HUGE
amphitheatre...i think it sits around 25,000 people. at least that's what i
was told. so yeah, it's big. but there wasn't very many people in line, we
were about 20 people back. i met up with my new friends christ and stacey
(i met them at a party about a month ago and we discovered our common
obsession when they put the s/t album on the cd player...i was like "ahh!")
and doors were at 3, the stupid lady made me throw away my bottled water
but didn't see my camera (cleverly hidden inside a box of granola
bars...ah-ha!) so it was ok. it was a non-alcoholic show, which didn't
affect me because i'm 15, but we got neat wristbands that they usually give
to people who are going to drink but they gave them to people w/ seats. we
got front row seats, which was awesome.

so at 4 superdrag played, i was really looking forward to them because i've
been into them for quite some time. they were really good, i just wish that
they had played later... (really, who likes black lab? superdrag have to be
bigger than them...god.) and there was only two people standing up to them.
this really cute guy was rockin out, and then this really scary guy was
like...twitching along w/ the music. (at first i thought that he just
really liked superdrag, but then he did it to all the other bands too.
scary!) but superdrag did a really good job. i dug it. i wish they would
have played longer than 40 minutes, dangit...

then black lab played, i reeally didn't like them. the singer looks like
mick jagger did around 40 years ago. me and my friend amused ourselves by
writing notes on our corporate whore radio fan. the singer talked about how
their 'wash it away' song is the theme song for el nino. ha. ha. but i
guess the shoreline flooded or something and became this huge lake for
awhile there.

reel big fish were up next. i don't really like them, but they put on a
pretty entertaining show. i saw robert sitting behind this screen on the
side of the stage for a little bit...he looked really bored. then he rolled
his eyes, sighed, and walked away. ha! we had fun making fun of those
prostitutes that sell candy at the shoreline...they walk around wearing
practically nothing. they were pretty entertaining. of course, the one guy
that sells candy was fully clothed. darn.

so...the high point of the evening, ben folds five! they got onstage at
around 8. they played all my favourites...evaporated, underground, uncle
walter, philosophy, julianne, raindrops (!) :)...ben introduced steven's
last night in town and uncle walter with explanations of what they were
about. and when they played brick, ben was like "you guys, don't hurt
yourselves dancing to this one. i know how everyone rocks out during this
song." tons of people sat DOWN. how could you sit for ben folds five? but
they didn't make up any songs and ben didn't drop his pants. (christ said
that he usually does...she was like "if he starts rapping, get your camera
ready!" robert was wearing really cool bright red shoes and a lime green
button-down shirt, ben was wearing a button-down blue and white-striped
shirt...and i don't think i saw what darren was wearing. he looked like he
had just woken up though...his hair was all messed up like when you first
wake up. :) but...they took an unusually long time coming back for the
encore...almost the entire lawn section left. the concert was over by 9:15.
so it was really short. i didn't get to meet the band. we waited around for
our ride where the buses come out, but it's impossible to get to the
backstage area (the security guard wouldn't even tell me where the door was
so that i could hang out over by there to see if someone would come out.)
there was this scary security guard who let me get away with all this stuff
during the concert (he let me walk around the front aisle, while with
everyone else he made them stay away, and he let me take pictures {i really
hope they turn out!} but he took another girls camera away). then
afterwards when we were waiting he came up to us and was like "i remember
you guys!" and proceeded to tell us all about how we were never going to
meet the band and all this other stuff very enthusiastically. what a big
nerd. and another security guard told us about all the jobs you can get in
the concert business, but when you do lights you can't go to  the bathroom
during the concert and he thinks that some of those guys attach a tube so
that they can go to the bathroom. and 'you are so young to be throwing
yourself at rock stars!.' i was like 'we're waiting for our ride, thanks.'
'oh, there's nothing down there anyway' (we could see the backstage area)
'just a bunch of stoned musicians.' agh. yeah i know that everyone cares
about the freaky security guards that the shoreline employs.
anyway...hopefully i'll be able to see bff again in a CLUB,
thankyouverymuch. does anyone know if there will be more dates on this
tour? i'm moving to denver in june and maybe i could catch them there....

provolone,
arden

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:00:45 PDT
From: "Polly Prissypants" <excandescent@hotmail.com>
Subject: blah blah blah

Ok, a couple questions...

1.  "Song For The Dumped" anyone know when the video is supposed to
premiere?

2. BFF w/ Beck  I've been wondering about this, and I think that BFF is
riding high on the wave of success that comes from the "Brick" single.
And...personally I just can't see BFF being an opening act at this
particular time, and I'm thinking (hoping, anyway) that maybe they'll
get a longer-than-normal opening set for Beck.  anyone know what their
allotted time slot is for the beck tour?

3.  You'll see me at SPAC.  I'll be wearing a titanic shirt (NOT the
movie, the actual ship) :) provided I get it in time.  If not, then ill
prolly wear my south park shirt with the genetic engineer on the back.

4.  My thoughts on brick-heads: Ok, the dance remixes is totally
uncalled for.  Hearing brick at mcdonald's is cheesy too, but if you
work there it makes it all that much better for you, hearing BFF amidst
the muzak and crappy love songs.  For those of y'all hearing bff for the
first time thru "Brick" and going out and getting Whatever... and even
the other 2 albums, and being turned on to BFF's musical genius and
respecting it then more power to ya.  Even if people just hear the one
song and all...myself, I don't care, the word is getting out, and all
the better for our boys.  I will admit though, seeing people stand like
statues at shows, only to go crazy during Brick and then LEAVE, that's
pretty damn depressing, and thats pretty much the only part of
Brickmania that gets to me.  blah.

Everyone else is doing it, why cant I?!?!?

Sneaker Pimps, Radiohead, BFF, Fuel, Helmet, Titanic soundtrack (Sue
me.)

BFF @ Saratoga Winners 5/97; Jawbox @ Bogies 11/96; Soundgarden @
Rochester War Memorial 6/94; Horsewater anytime baby.  end

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:03:09 EDT
From: SunfireQT <SunfireQT@aol.com>
Subject: You mean it's not over?!?!

Chairers:
   You know, this is getting ridiculous already.
   When I first subscribed to the post, there was a discussion going on about
what hard-core BF5 fans thought about the people who just started liking them
when Brick came out on the radio.  After a while the conversation died down.
I was relieved.
   Now some chick who just started on the Armchair writes a post asking what
we think of people who just started listening to BF5 because of Brick!  Well,
didn't we just go through that?
   It's starting all over again, people!!!!  Just let it all end!!!  Who cares
why people like the band?  What matters is that they like the band!  And if
they grow not to like the band they'll stop reading the Armchair and you won't
have to hear from them again!
   The way I see it, which may not matter to any of you, is that it's better
for people to like the band for one song than not to like them at all.  I
mean, if you all hadn't heard that first BF5 song you fell in love with, no
matter what it was, you wouldn't have bought your first BF5 CD and started
searching for posters and buying concert tix and subscribing to the Armchair.
Then where would the band be now?  Still in Ben's living room recording albums
for next to nothing.  It just so happens that the first BF5 song that a lot of
people heard was Brick and that's because it was getting a lot of airplay.
   So what if some people didn't get to hear about BF5 until they got a song
popular on the radio stations and MTV and VH1?  The point is that people are
hearing the band and liking the music.
   Give it up already!!!!!!!!

The Texas Yankee.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 02:41:24 EDT
From: Corrin108 <Corrin108@aol.com>
Subject: just a letter to elise

In a message dated 5/11/98 6:59:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< Even though I THOUGHT I hated the Cure >>

say what???

<<this concert COMPLETELY converted me.>>

word.  ok.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:56:35 -0700
From: Tim Wang <twang@abac.com>
Subject: SAn Diego, 5/11

Great crowd.... great setlist.... they didn't play both of my requested
songs when I talked to em.. but it was a killer show... best i've seen of
em... ben sounded great...

in no particular order (cept for the first three or so)..

Pyser
BOWCCL
Improv country song
Last polka
Improv about robert's chicago t-shirt
philosophy
emaline
fair
kate
childress
Steven's
Air
Brick
Selfless
Tom and Mary
Julianne
Eddie WAlker (THANK GOD)
Dumped
Video
dwarf---> underground
E: suspicious minds-->Missing the war
Uncle walter

the suspicious minds was only a verse.. but really funny.. their improvs
tonight were great... finally got to hear eddie walker... would have loved
best imitation though :(

Thanks san diego...

I met a cool ex-armchair girl... but didn't get her name... hope she
stumbles on again!

goodnight..

- -t

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 03:09:26 EDT
From: FHudetz <FHudetz@aol.com>
Subject: tabernacle

For those of you who want info on where the Tabernacle is, it is on Luckie
Street.  It is where the House of Blues was during the Olympics.  Only it
ain't the House of Blues no more.  I think they taped the Dave Matthews Band
10 spot there a few weeks ago. It's got like balconies and stuff.  Anybody
else smell that?
L.E.Phant