Issue #1051 - June 8, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Monday, June 8 1998     Volume 01 : Number 1051

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR {SUMMER | EVER}!!
   If the above statement applies to you, be sure to unsubscribe from
the Armchair if you will not have access to your e-mail account over the
summer. Otherwise, your mailbox will fill up and the system administrator
at your school will be one angry dwarf...

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Video Killed the Radio Star
    Hard Rock Posturing <oh yeah!>
    John Boyer
    Apology
    these hanson fans kill me!!
    replies and what not
    um, hi guys
    Air and the June 5 concert
    n/a
    small but perfectly formed
    you are all pissing me off
    Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1044
    surreal stadium show
    HEY!
    Rob on springer, my bag
    2 things to say...
    Don't skip that post!!
    SPAC show

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 20:49:14 EDT
From: MailLlama@aol.com
Subject: Video Killed the Radio Star

Does anyone out there have an MP3 of Video Killed the Radio Star?  It's NOT at
scour.net (which actually has less than 200 BFF MP3's, most of which are
redundant, and half of which are Brick), and I haven't been able to find it on
any fanpages with MP3 archives, or on the webring, or with a number of search
engines.

Help me out.  I'm trying to make a mix tape for a friend who has only heard
Brick and NEEDS to be exposed to more BFF.

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 21:53:05 -0400
From: jaedonely@juno.com
Subject: Hard Rock Posturing <oh yeah!>

Hey there guys,
	I was watching Empire Records =)=)=)  and I distinctly spied
blatant Benness!  Oh yes.  Theres a scene where Lucas (Rory Cochrane,
stoner guy in Dazed and Confused) is lip synching to "you want blood(you
got it)" by ACDC.  Hes a very skinny guy, like Ben, and wow-it was so Ben
esque, watching him.  I wonder if either guy copped the other's moves.
~Elisabeth the Tired.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 19:24:23 -0700
From: Doron Richartz <bugg002@ibm.net>
Subject: John Boyer

I guess this is a good opportunity for me to follow suit:

JOHN BOYER, PLEASE EMAIL ME, I'M STILL EXPECTING MY MD....

Everyone else, this guy ripped me off and he may do the same to you also.

Here's his email address so tape or MD traders can watch out for him:
john_oc@juno.com

Doron

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 22:31:03 EDT
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Apology

Dear all Fivers alike,

I apologize for all the bitchy stuff I've been saying.  I realize what a dork
I am.  I have a quote for ya.
"I'm a dork"--Jennifer Hewitt (that's the most hilarious thing I've ever
heard)

Anyway,  Whenever we see BFF stuff now, we think, aw, "what a cute little
mention of the boys." If it were two years ago we would be like, "omigosh!!!!!
That's BFF!!!!!"  And I have found two of these little things, that used to be
big things.

First, a painting.  Often in New York Magazine, the artists paint a picture of
a band playing that week.  One week, I don't know when, was Ben Folds Five.  I
have the painting.  Sadly, it has only ben with two dots (I guess representing
Darren and Robert) in the background.  I scanned the sucker, and put it up on
a website for all to enjoy:
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BlueJellow/BEN.html">Ben's Beautiful Face</A>

Second, a mention in the New York Times Magazine.  They even got a big picture
of Naked Baby Photos in it.  There were about two sentences like this:  The
band has constantly toured for three years, and didn't have to work that hard.
They were so good, but the radio sucks so much that they had to work that hard
to make a name for themselves.  There my friends, is the truth.

Lucy
*Prison bitch*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:10:50 EDT
From: SoNiKSpAm@aol.com
Subject: these hanson fans kill me!!

Ben Folds Five isn't real rock!!! They have no guitars for goodness sake!!!!
Issac will show you how its done. Ben Folds Five should go back to the
orchestra pit.
~ Hanson Fan- Real Rock Fan~

i cant believe the brat actually posted this

email her at : <A HREF="mailto: manic3@aol.com">Manic3@aol.com</A>
heh she ticked me off

love the lame one

Kerri

In My Cd Player Right Now:

Godzilla
fastball
Janes Addiction
BFF
David Bowies  Earthling

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:17:05 EDT
From: Vwbugn5890@aol.com
Subject: replies and what not

To : ETS83@aol.com
yes i think video would've been a great song for the truman show
soundtrack...i'm not sure where they would've played it in the movie, but it
seems to fit very nicely...i saw the movie today, i thought it was great...
(trying not to digress from BFF or talk about fjords or whatever the hell you
wanna call yourselves)
shan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:58:06 EDT
From: Shnib10@aol.com
Subject: um, hi guys

hey guys, its me sarah here, i know i must be annyoing but does anyone i mean
anyone have a tape of the feb 16th show at clutch cargo? i'm still crazily
tring to find one. just drop me an email  Shnib10@aol.com

thank you,
sarah
"BUF  IT"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 00:08:55 EDT
From: BobaFet142@aol.com
Subject: Air and the June 5 concert

Hey everybody,
I went to see DMB, Beck, and BFF on friday night, but I was late and missed
BFF, a real bitch.   So I was wondering if anyone has a set list of what they
played.  Also if anyone recorded that concert I would love to get it.  I don't
have any tapes myself,  I've never really tried to get tapes before but I
would be willing to send cash for it.
Also, today I saw Sliding Doors, and there's a song on there, which has the
line in it I'm coming up for air, I was just wondering if anyone else heard
that and/or had some thoughts.
~Jim(Bobafet142@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 98 00:11:06 EDT
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: n/a

Can't we all just get along?

http://radiolink.net/rey
rey@radiolink.net

Date: 7 Jun 98 00:27:21 EDT
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: small but perfectly formed

mikgle@globalnet.co.uk wrote:

>>  How much does everyone just love short posts?

Amen.

http://radiolink.net/rey
rey@radiolink.net

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 00:45:07 -0400
From: vito <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: you are all pissing me off

if i have to scroll through one more message saying "hey all you 'old
school' fans are dicks," i will urinate on my keybord.  i hate you all.  i
am nice, i am "old shcool," and i am not a dick.  so shut the fuck up,
everybody, and leave your stupidass remarks to yourself.  dont make me
scroll through 5 armchairs filled with bullshit any more.

whatever and ever
vito

BBB  EEEE N   N     FFFF  OO  L    DD    SS      FFFF I V     V EEEE
B  B E    NN  N     F    O  O L    D D  S        F    I V     V E
BBB  EEE  N N N     FFF  O  O L    D D   S       FFF  I  V   V  EEE
B  B E    N  NN     F    O  O L    D D    S      F    I   V V   E
BBB  EEEE N   N     F   goATman1@geOCitiES.com   F    I    V    EEEE
- ----- http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html -----

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 98 00:48:04 EDT
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1044

garrett john weindorf wrote:

<<<  Bree! I'm a huge Macca/Beatles fan---

  yes--there is a mccartney live album--tripping the live fantastic!

  and yes---ben made a little play on words in Underground with
  "slamming the pit fantastic"---

  well, thats that! =)

  garrett >>>

Sure, from an old Beatles, TMBG, BFF, whatever else fan...
Light, live, fantastic, fandago, etc...  It's an old term, hardly
taken from Paul Mac.

http://radiolink.net/rey
rey@radiolink.net

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 00:49:47 -0400
From: Lou Papineau <loup@ids.net>
Subject: surreal stadium show

a surreal experience at foxboro on friday night. even tho we were "only"
32 rows back on the field, the players were miles away -- "in the
distance, the distance," as james tate once said. but the sound got
kinda ok in an arena kind of way after a shaky "one angry dwarf" and
"battle," then they pounded "philosophy," "steven" (hadda be the first
appearance by a melodica at a stadium gig!), "brick," a tender "alice
childress" (surprise!), "underground" (w/ intro and muso improv at the
end), and a slammin' "dumped," whose mike-on-piano strings/bass
jack/darren groove turned the concrete bowl into a massive beat box.
neat.

the place was nearly empty when they were on, as most dmb-ers were still
getting lubed in the parking lot ($15 per vehicle) at 6 p.m.  small
pockets of fans cheered the boys' efforts, but the rest were
indifferent. the 'brick'-powered tide is definitely ebbing.

i did mention the "surreal" big-rock absurdity of it all, right? jeez,
from the supper club in nyc to foxboro stadium in six short months.
who'da thunk? as chuck berry said, " "C'est la vie,' said the old folks,
'it goes to show you never can tell.' "

lou

p.s. (totally gratuitous "you-are-there" stuff): in the parking lot,
about to leave about 15 minutes into dmb's set. a car full of teenage
girls two cars away is blasting "ghetto superstar." we flip on the
radio, tune in jam'm 94.5, and blast back. a 16-or-17-year-old runs over
to the car, enthusing over the shared song, and volunteers that they're
stuck in the lot because one of their pals "passed out" and they didn't
want to leave her alone. she asks incredulously why we’re about to leave
so early. we tell her we were just there for ben and beck. then she
slowly leans forward and asks, "are you guys over 30 or something?"
helpless old-guy laughter spews forth. bke says he's 35. she nods toward
me. "how old are you?" "i'm 42," i admit. the "passed out" pal suddenly
appears at the window, dancing to the jam-m sounds. it's time to go.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 01:52:23 EDT
From: Fantine222@aol.com
Subject: HEY!

HEY, I'M TOTALLY OFFENDED!!

<< because real fans, that is if anyone besides yourselves is allowed to be
 considered a real fan, who only want to discuss the band are turned off
 by a bunch of....well, people like you.   >>

Yeah, I know that this is what the MA is like now, but it used to be really
intelligent and informative.  There is no way in hell that we are all rude and
self-superior.  I have met some really cool people through this list and most
of the people here are actually considerate and kind.

So, what I guess that I am trying to say is, don't judge us all by a small
group of assholes.  That is not fair or right, but I guess that life isn't
fair.

Ok, I'm done bitching for tonight.

cait

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 02:45:16 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Rob on springer, my bag

Hey, i'd like to set the record straight that I have been an armchairite
for 8 months now and still am and *I* was the first to post that Rob will
be on springer on June 31st.

true, EriK did post the same date at the end of the same digest, but i
think it's cuz of our similar sense of humor, not sense of importance.

        I'm not just naked, I'm Naked for Jesus!!!
        *      --+-Read The Shrubbery-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
        --New Every Month- -Humor, News and More--

         * Ben Folds Five International Fans Page *
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/fans.html
       --Get a "Ben" Pal-  -Now Spans 11 Countries--

         *     Cousin Jess's World Wide Mess      *
   http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814
     --Tape Trading- Way Cool Links- Literary Madness--

Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 23:54:34 -0700 (MST)
From: short1@aztec.asu.edu (LINDSAY DIANE WARREN)
Subject: 2 things to say...

first off, I couldn't agree with this statement made by aplauri@juno.com...
alright ya'll.....  i know im just preaching to the choir when i say
this, but i still sense the need for it to be said.  WE ALL NEED TO GROW
UP!!

grow up! I'm sick of reading this bullshit!

onto a lighter note... how about some misheard lyrics? I'll start this out
by saying that at first, I thought bhagavad gita was something about a
labido! :) well... lets hear some more... unless of course this is not
something acceptable to talk about... as it seems everything else is
unacceptable!

Lindsay

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 02:56:38 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Don't skip that post!!

Hey i just got through reading about 200K of Amrchairs, and i have to point
one post out that particularly caught my eye. It was by Emaline555@aol.com
and it was in #1048.

Why the post caught my eye was this: Here's a girl, still in HS (a
teenybopper, hmmmm?) totally in love with BFF, caught the stool and is VERY
proud of it, and is so excited about BFF that she has to share.
Her post was intelligent, chocked-full of "bentent", it didn't ramble, and
it was written by a 16-17 year old. So now, don't you wish we were all a
list full of Emaline555s?

if you just skipped over it 'cuz you are SO into this RF-MA soap opera, i
suggest ya go back and read it. Remember what ths point of this list is
anyway.

jess

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 11:58:41 -0400
From: "Derek Supranowicz" <dpsupr@maila.wm.edu>
Subject: SPAC show

It ended up being awesome!  Except for the lot of cops in the parking lot,
but thats to be expected I guess.  Ben and the guys came on about 8:45ish i
missed the opening band.  But Ben did rock.  This was my sixth concert of
the guys and they really handled the space alot better than at foxboro.
They played the 35 minute set,  opening with fair,  and playing other tunes
including EMALINE!  I was excited to hear that.  They also played SCAC, OAD,
Brick, and SFTD complete with bens new microphone in the piano rap beat bit,
its pretty cool sounding.  The crowd was going nuts,  it seems beck's people
are also bens people because the stadium was full,  except for a few rows on
the balcony.  It was pretty packed there,  scary,  but it also may have been
because Kelly Macnamera (local DJ) was annoucing all day that there were
still tix and people were probably just coming out of the woodwork.
    It was then that I went to look for the guys down around back,  couldn't
find them but I did run into Doug and we had a pretty long conversation,  it
was cool.  They are finishing up a week with beck, then off to Europe then
to OZ.  He also thought the guys did a great job tonight,  impressive.  He
told me about his past tour managing expericence with Slayer (uh) and such
and how its been with Ben and the Boys.  They actually were watching the
beck show so if anyone was going to see them to shake hands you just had to
go find them,  plus he said he couldn't let anyone backstage because it was
a beck show and not a BFF show.  He reads the armchair infact he was
readining it the other day after RF invaded,  so just think people what all
this petty arguing looks like to the band,  because yes,  word does get
back,  and in this case it did,  way to look cool.
    So we chatted some more about personal stuff and what not and said
later,  they will play some smaller venues he hopes in the future because
the guys like it that way and we will get our chance to talk to them again.
    So we took our leave back to our seats for one incredible Beck show,  I
don't agree that beck should open for BFF,  beck is amazing, so are our boys
but Beck really does have alot more presence on stage,  something a group as
young still at BFF still are developing.  It was a nice mix at the concert,
and really entertaining.  To me doug is every bit as cool as the band,  so
it was good to talk to someone,  it brought back that little intimate
feeling.  Its all good.  Until the seventh show.
Derek

- -----
When Ben plays the piano,  he hits it very hard." - Scotty Folds
- -----
"I'd like to be a jellyfish, cuz jellyfish don't pay rent."  - Jimmy Buffett
- -----
"The cruelest lies are often told, without a word." - Ben Folds Five
Derek Supranowicz                  Email- dpsupr@maila.wm.edu
CSU #0474                               Email2- dsuprano@rocketmail.com
PO BOX 8793                          WWW- http://128.239.202.62
Williamsburg, VA 23186-0474