Issue #1075 - June 20, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, June 20 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1075

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

A WORD FROM THE LISTOWNER
   It seems that the off-topic chatter has gone way beyond the
acceptable level. Any discussion that is not related to Ben Folds Five is
not permitted on the Armchair, and this includes replies to other
messages from the Armchair that are themselves off-topic.
   I did not want to have to do this, but I have started unsubscribing
users without warning who violate this rule. I do not want to become the
List Nazi, so please cooperate by keeping your posts clean and on-topic,
or I may be forced to remove you without warning also. Please take the
time to reread the information file that arrived when you subscribed. If
you don't have it anymore, send a message containing the word 'intro' in
the message body to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl.

    Re: the Ryan thinks he's an asshole b+p offer
    new album/producer?
    fave stuff and all that jazz
    She don't use jelly?
    melodies/French Regents
    Lounge-A-Palooza and more
    apology
    fave harmony
    Brick
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1073
    Favorite harmony, Modern Rock Live CD
    Favourite Harmonies
    smoke does not suck
    lounge sucks!?
    wahoo!!
    Tell me your Fave Harmony
    Very Important
    spine-tinglers
    Its O So Quiet!
    ah moment
    desperately wanting
    BEN FOLDS MAKES Ent. Weekly's IT LIST

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:40:09 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1073

There's one part of Missing the War, the whole pyramid harmony (for all
you Music Theory buffs) that just screams Pet Sounds by the beach boys.
Anyone agree?

- --
Sean Kiely

"http://www2.cybernex.net/~jekiely/"
    Sean Kiely's New and Improved Static-Free non-frames
   anything/nothing web page extravaganza with lotsa links.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:42:39 -0700
From: Brian Chan <gokou@earthlink.net>

At 02:01 AM 6/19/98 +0200, you wrote:
>5. Lounge-A-Palooza" "She Don't Use Jelly" (Also avail. on a "Brick" import!
>Do NOT
>    buy this cd. It sucks and BFF is the ONLY thing worth listening to.)

I have to disagree.  There are a load of great tracks on this one.  Poe's
"A Rose is a Rose", Pizzicato Five's rendition of "Girl From Ipanema,"
Fastball doing Bacharach's "This Guy's In Love With You," along with a
whole bunch of great covers.  Perhaps you should give it another chance.

Regards,
Brian Chan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:09:37 -0400
From: C &P Mrizek <galileo@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: the Ryan thinks he's an asshole b+p offer

Perhaps on the phish, moe, and SCI lists there are people who have
transcended the 2:1 trade, but every other list I have traded with,
Zeppelin, Neil Young, Hiatt, Queen, Zappa, Jellyfish, and so on, 2:1 is
the standard.  Maybe I lead a shelter trading life, but it seems like a
standard.  Was I too harsh and intrusive to say it was "THE standard?"
Could be.  Doubt it, though, from my experience, and other traders I
speak to about this incredibly wacky issue.  Good luck in the
asshole-wannabe department, though.  Doesn't sound like you have the
temperament for it.  But you still have not apologised for your
rudeness, "spoonful of sugar" doesn't cut it.
In BFF news, who was taping in Atlanta?  I saw a couple of mike stands
near the soundboard, so somebody ought to fess up at some point...

Pat

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:33:25 EDT
From: TarintinoQ@aol.com
Subject: new album/producer?

When I read that post about them going into an actual studio
I was kinda pissed. I wished that they stayed at bens house
and get that home vibe that is so brilliant.I also hope that they
use Caleb again but I have a bad feeling that Brendan O'brien might
be called in instead because he produced "AIR" and I didnt like the way
it sounded.Well those are my thoughts. And sorry bout Me messing up with the
whole Conan thing

mcgregor

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:32:28, -0500
From: PFJH05D@prodigy.com (MISS JESSICA R BORASH)
Subject: fave stuff and all that jazz

my favorite harmony is a tie between that falling down down dooowwnnn
stuff in eddie walker and the nevr breathing out in fair.  it's so so
so good.  i guess those are my favorites.  um... well, i can't even
think of my favorite melody.  how impossible.  but, if i think of one,
 i will be sure to let you know.
hey, can't hardly wait is a bum diggity movie.  i have seen it 2
times, waiting for the third.  and i love ethan embry.  sorry that
wasn't about our guys.  i just had to add it, k?  anyway, thanks for
your time.
jeskuh =>

i'm going out for a while so i can get high with my friends
- -feeder (they are so awesome in concert.  saw them with jimmy's
chicken shack and everclear)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:11:52 EDT
From: DDNGOSBT@aol.com
Subject: She don't use jelly?

someone said this in one of their posts:
<< The ones in She Don't Use Jelly are pretty cool too! >>

 Is that the song where they go,
"and she don't use napkins, or her sleeve, and she don't use tissues or any of
these, she uses m-a-g-azines."  is that it?  B/c I remember that song, but
what does that have to do with BFF, they didnt sing that.  (I'm pretty sure
they don't.)
  Also, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the japanese version of
sftd?  I would really like that!!
Thanks guys...
~Kristin :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:16:03 EDT
From: Zuqir3000@aol.com
Subject: melodies/French Regents

First off-Yesss! Lianne, you did it!
OK, now for the Bentent...My favorite melody is "Do you think I should take a
class..." from "Best Imitation" with "How they picked you up when you kept
falling down..." from "Eddie Walker"--both great songs.

Also, I took the NYS French Regents this morning and on the composition, you
were required to write a letter to your friend saying that the weather would
be bad this weekend and your outdoor plans couldn't be done. In the true
tradition of a nerd, I suggested that we go to a BFF concert. When my teacher
called me to tell me I got 100 on the test, she asked who they were, so I told
her. She remembered them and, apparently, her daughter who's in college is a
big fan. Creepy how things come around like that...

- -Dan
"I'll be stonefaced and pale; you'll pout in stereo, 24 hours every day of the
year..."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:22:08 EDT
From: Foldsledge@aol.com
Subject: Lounge-A-Palooza and more

I agree with you, JTFett, Lounge-A-Palooza is a sucky CD.
A note to all armchair-ers: Be aware that there is nothing even close to
BFF genre on the Lounge-A-Palooza CD!!!!!

One other thing:
Did anyone listen to a "fresh air" interview, and actually hear the lady doing
the interview call BFF "The Ben's Fold Five"?

allison

"Pretty bad idea....."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:24:20 EDT
From: Foldsledge@aol.com
Subject: apology

i wrote jtfett....its jkfett
sorry!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:49:37 -0700
From: Joseph Finn <dekk@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: fave harmony

for my favorite harmony part i'd have to go with "air", you know, comin
up for aiiiir, and not just cos no one has voted for it yet.
i also wanted to say that the hardrock live taping was great and if
anyone has a tape of it could you please e-mail me.

"tell us a story robert" -sean kiely

dan
<dekk@bellatlantic.net>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:06:46 -0500
From: Ben Daniel <Enderben@flex.net>
Subject: Brick

I got into bff because of hearing Brick on the radio and have become
addicted. Basically, fair is the only song I didn't like (annoying
reverb) and bricks getting kind of old now, but the band is awesome!

Attavan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:09:02 EDT
From: BlueJellow@aol.com

In a message dated 6/18/98 7:37:41 PM Central Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@ford.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< i heard the song, loved it and i bought WAEA and loved it so much i
 bought the self titled and then NBP when it came out.... >>

Wha? No self title? SHAME SHAME!!!!!

Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:38:54 -0500
From: Clayton Walker <revclay@cyberspace.org>
Subject: Favorite harmony, Modern Rock Live CD

I've been on the Armchair for about 3 months now, but this is my first
post (being 14, I wanted to steer clear of the recent "Brickhead"
debate)...
My favorite harmony is "They picked you up and you kept falling
down...down...down...down (imagine each of those downs being on a
different note by a diff. person...and how cool it sounds :)"...
I also wanted to ask if anyone else has this CD with BFF on it that I
have...it's a Modern Rock Live 2 CD set from 1996. Philosophy is track 5
on disc 1.  It came with my Discman that I bought then.  Acutally, the
only reason I sent off for the free CD was because of BFF.  I had been
turned on to them a little over a year before that when I heard
"Underground" on the radio...

The Reverend Clayton Walker	ICQ#12988514
revclay@cyberspace.org		AOL IM: Majors4711
http://members.tripod.com/~claytonw/
QUEERIOS! The Austin Rocky Horror Picture Show
Every Fri & Sat - Midnight - Wells Branch Discount Cinema, Austin, TX

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:42:25, -0500
From: TuxedoKamen1@prodigy.com (MR MAMORU E CHIBA)
Subject: Favourite Harmonies

  Hola Armchairites,
              long time no post on my end. I was just reading all the
replies on the fave harmony question, and was surprised no one listed
mine: The part in Fair where the do the Harmony/Crescendo the third
time (i believe it is) they sing "All this breathing in, never
breathing out..." It's simply breathtaking, and demonstrates the
boys' singing skills. There's my two pesos

____
"nineteen nighty eight looked great on plain white paper on the
fifteith plane to champagne but to tell you the truth if i had a
chance to kill it i'd pick up and take it and shake and kiss it to
death there's something inside like a conscience  that says 'your
painting floors while your pals are off renaming the stars get up get
up and go do what you started if you want to be a martyr try harder'"
- -Braid "New Nathan Detroits"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:26:49 EDT
From: GrnEgNham@aol.com
Subject: smoke does not suck

Yo yo yo.

<< Also, does anyone else not like the irish sounding music in Smoke.  I hate
 that.  I think it's like my least favortie bff song.  Later on Chairers~
 ~Kristin :) >>

you are sorely mistaken, kristin. i am hoping for your sake that you are an
misinformed, utterly ignorant little girl who hasn't matured much yet. the
"irish sounding music" in smoke is perhaps their most beautiful ever.
unanimously. ye shall fight this fight alone dear kristin. if you dare say
anything as supercilous, frivolous and totally unsubstantiated as this claim,
you yourself will get smoked. and no one will be playing any "irish sounding
music" in the background for you.

 Love,
  emily :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:33:37 -0400
From: vito <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: lounge sucks!?

<<5. Lounge-A-Palooza" "She Don't Use Jelly" (Also avail. on a "Brick" import!
Do NOT
    buy this cd. It sucks and BFF is the ONLY thing worth listening to.)>>

are you kidding me!!!???!!!???
loungeapalooza is awesoem!  i love that cd.  a rose is a rose rules and so
does the 1st song... bff rules too... oh yeah, the song by the guy from the
presidents is really good.  i cant beleive you said that.
i encorage people to buy it, or at least listen to the cd.  dont listen to
people who say that kind of shit, if you have any good taste in music, im
sure you will like at least one of the songs besides bff on the cd... yes,
even the fastball one.

whatever and ever
vito

PS:  the lounge version of black hole sun is hilarious

BBB  EEEE N   N     FFFF  OO  L    DD    SS      FFFF I V     V EEEE
B  B E    NN  N     F    O  O L    D D  S        F    I V     V E
BBB  EEE  N N N     FFF  O  O L    D D   S       FFF  I  V   V  EEE
B  B E    N  NN     F    O  O L    D D    S      F    I   V V   E
BBB  EEEE N   N     F   goATman1@geOCitiES.com   F    I    V    EEEE
- ----- http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html -----

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:28:40 +1000
From: cath <killec@lmh.vic.edu.au>
Subject: wahoo!!

hey hey hey!!! Guess who's got front row seats to bff when they come to
Melbourne? Man, am I excited...just wanted to let it out!

Also, is there anyone else who loves Sports and Wine as much as I do??

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:11:03 +0000
From: "del" <prs14097-001@popmail.prestel.co.uk>
Subject: Tell me your Fave Harmony

Yes I am still wanting your votes for fave harmony. Thanks to
everyone who has responded so far. If you want to vote but don't want
to post it to MA, E-mail me here :

faveharmony@bloomfieldsup.prestel.co.uk

I was interested to hear that Toby-boy and his bro perform BF5
harmonies in their car. Does anybody else re-enact great Bf5
harmonies ?

I'll be spending my weekend listening to the songs that you have
suggested and getting my " aaaaaahhhhhh " fix.

Del.
What if .... The Fugees remixed Brick
"She's a Brick and I'm drowning slowly", "One Time"
"Up the coast and I'm heading nowhere" , "Two Times"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:53:17 +0200
From: frankie@yahoo.com
Subject: Very Important

Hey, I saw you in the chatrooms the other night, remember me?
I found this awesome website, check it out:

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:54:39 EDT
From: Rosejmort@aol.com
Subject: spine-tinglers

I vote for the line in the Last Polka where he sings
"but baby I was doing fine, how do you think that I survived the other 25
before you?"
 I have never heard anything like that in my life!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:56:53 -0400
From: "Melvin-Naro, Barbara" <Barbara.Melvin-Naro@MRC.state.ma.us>
Subject: Its O So Quiet!

Hey, I have Evaporated on a mix tape, and its quite frustrating because
its oh so quiet and I always have to blast my relic of a walkman to even
hear it.  what's up with that? Anyways, my vote for harmonies overall is
definetly Missing The War.
~Elisabeth
cds in my cd player-This Euphoria-David Garza
Black Metallic Single-The Wheel! (Rob!)
Swingers soundtrack

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:18:00 EDT
From: Hestia614@aol.com
Subject: ah moment

'eddie walker'- >"down-Down-DoWn-DOWN!"
definetely, without a doubt, no question.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:05:58 -0400
From: aplauri@juno.com
Subject: desperately wanting

hey all,

ive got a bit of a problem.  see, i thought it would be cool to add a
FULL LENGTH show in mp3 format from one of the shows i own every month.
it would be a good quality, fun lovin' bff show, and everyone would be
able to get these mp3's.  only problem is, i cant seem to get any good
webspace that will allow me to put mp3s up.  i am sure you guys would
like this, i already have one whole show ripped and compressed, it just
needs some webspace.  well, if you can, help me out.....  i would REALLY
appreciate it (and i think you will too, once it is up)

thanks a whole lot-
- -philip

http://rsl.net/bff

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:27:49 EDT
From: Keyserdan1@aol.com
Subject: BEN FOLDS MAKES Ent. Weekly's IT LIST

Hey.

Just got the new entertainment weekly and Ben is on their "it List" of the
most creative people in Entertainment.

- -Dan