Issue #1087 - June 28, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, June 28 1998     Volume 01 : Number 1087

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

LIST DOWN FOR A COUPLE DAYS

Due to a hack of the server, the mailing list server was down for 2 days.
The system has been reinstalled and all lists have been converted to the
new version of the system. Things should be back to normal with the
Armchair of Saturday, June 27 (which goes out Friday evening in the
Americas).

Please don't e-mail me with questions about the list being down. If you
don't see your post within a couple days, please resubmit it.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    just curious
    another response to ms barbon's question
    just some of my opinions
    What would you like to see them cover?
    A Canadian Plea
    piano solo and stuff
    Michael Bluejay's Homepage.
    those outfits
    No Subject
    The Piano Man
    videos
    interviews
    Re: Responding to Ms. Barbon's question
    my two cents on old news
    BF5 and total lies
    car dancing to the amazing BFF
    RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1084
    I wish it was last september...
    Other artists, divorce
    Re:Instruments
    June 5th EDGEFEST

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Timmy Piper <timmypiper@yahoo.com>
Subject: just curious

I was reading on some online bff website 'bout Whatever and Ever Amen,
and it said that the first release of the album had little
conversations in between songs (which my cd does), but it goes on to
say that when they re-released the album, all the discussions were
taken out.  So my question is: does this point make my cd valuable in
any sense? Probably not, oh well, time to go chase down the old folks
with the trusty yugo

Teemu

==
"Have you ever made a flan, and squished it in your hand? oh no."

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:17:29 -0400
From: "Jennifer Nell Gordon" <jngordon@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject: another response to ms barbon's question

I read somewhere (can't remember where) Ben Folds Five is called Ben Folds Five
because Ben Folds Five sounds better than Ben Folds Three...

Jenn

- --
"I would never lie; I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation."
 -Fox Mulder (Shadows)

Jennifer Gordon
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jngordon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:26:09 EDT
From: Dreamer528@aol.com
Subject: just some of my opinions

     I've been on list list for 3 - 4 months now and I'd just like to say: you
guys are pretty entertaining!  : )  Being the lurker that I am, I've gotten so
used to this list that when a new (or old for that matter!) BF5 fan makes a
mistake in their posting, I can just predict what kind of
subtle sarcasm on the unsuspecting person.  : )  thanks guys!  It goes with
this list well, because as everyone knows, BF5 has their own hilarious
sarcasm!  keep it coming!

- - Dreamer528@aol.cm

P.S. If anyone wants to chat with me about BF5 or whatever, feel free to e-
mail me!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:06:26 -0400
From: Will Beckley <WBeckley@mindspring.com>
Subject: What would you like to see them cover?

>From "She don't use Jelly" to the rare "Video Killed the Radio Star" to the usually
unpleasant "Champagne Supernova," Ben Folds covers many great songs. However,
everyone has a song that they love that they'd love to see done by Ben Folds Five.
What is yours??

Mine is one that was proposed to Ben by SuperDave. Ben didn't seem very promising
about it, but who wouldn't like to see the boys do "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

Wiyum, who thinks that the best to date is "Video Killed the Radio Star"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:27:47 -0400
From: cherry@idirect.ca
Subject: A Canadian Plea

Hey you know what would be really great for everyone on the Armchair did
for us Canadian BFF fans....
First let me explain.
In Canada, we have a retarded music station by the name of Much Music and
they don't play much BFF. I don't know anything about MTV but we have
something called spotlights where they play all the videos by a single
artist/ group.
And there hasn't been a BFF spotlight yet and I was thinking if anyone
wanted to help us (Canadian fans) they could email Much Music at

spot@muchmusic.com
and request a BFF spotlight because they need a lot of people to request one.
I'll even send you MTVers a copy of it if they ever do a spotlight if you
send me a tape.
PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE WITH SPRINKLES ON TOP?
Thanx
Have a nice day
Val

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:25:52 EDT
From: Corrin108@aol.com
Subject: piano solo and stuff

my favorite solo would have to be in selfless cold and  composed...ok, either
that or summer b.  i cant decide.

<< Hey...in addition to air piano and harmonizing....what about bouncing
around
 and snapping while driving? Can't forget that upper body dancing now. >>

to answer your question...there is only one rule my mother makes me follow
when we are both in the car....no BFF when im driving because she says that i
make the car shake too much and shes afraid that i will hit someone.  for some
reason, when i hear bff in my car, my upper body takes over and i have no
control...and my driving starts to suck...oops.

corinne

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:40:55 EDT
From: PSYCHOPAF@aol.com
Subject: Michael Bluejay's Homepage.

Hello armchairians.

   Just curious if someone has the address for this. Please e-mail me at
BFFTS4EVER@aol.com or PSYCHOPAF@aol.com

Thanks
Amy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:15:56 EDT
From: KamalaICB@aol.com
Subject: those outfits

<< I definitely dig their picture on the front, though -- matching Zebra
striped
 shirts, shiny black pants, and white cowboy boots -- yee ha! >>

probably from the same photo shoot as the CMJ new music issue with them on it

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:30:33 EDT
From: NDVermin@aol.com
Subject: No Subject

Dustin- It's not that I'm against Third Eye Blind for being mainstream, I
bought the album and I just don't like it. I actually still like "Semi-charmed
Life", that's one hell of a catchy tune. But the rest just doesn't do it for
me, especially "Graduate". Didn't mean to step on your toes. I'm not really
the kind to jump on music for being popular. I can't be, being from Indiana
and sheltered from lots of the lesser known music.

Leigh13 is right about Travis. It's a good album, a lot of fun to drive to.
They were a blast when they opened for BFF.

If anyone taped Cincinnati in May, email me. I'll give just about anything for
it.

McG

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:14:24 -0400
From: "Paperscratcher" <coyotearm@email.msn.com>
Subject: The Piano Man

I would have to say that the most definitive piano work of Ben's is in The
Last Polka. Just when he slams on those godam keys,,man that fucking get me
going. you don't hear alot of that from other players. He also makes it
sound musical!! that would be my favorite piano work, even though the
question was for a solo. sorry.

I would also like to add that I heard and read all of your conversations
about "Air" From the Godzilla soundtrack, and how it seemed alot of you
din't like it or thought it was just "okay." I'll tell ya, i went in to
Tower records a couple weeks ago and found the listening station it was on
and hit play. I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!! I think that song is completely amazing.
the melody line is so unusually catchy ya know? this song just really got me
excited for the new Ben, whenever that may come out.

- -(Amy Fisher is) Christy Brinkly with a Little John Hinkly.
                              -Sonny Meadows

- -tim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:24:47 EDT
From: KamalaICB@aol.com
Subject: videos

starting in Sept, i can get copies of the Uncle Walter, OAD, Brick, and SFTD
videos, as well as their 10 minute long EPK(electronic press kit) that shows
how they went about recording Whatever and Ever Amen and such to anyone that
wants to trade, say audio bootlegs, for copies of them.....i have to look to
see if i have the undergroud video still or not......reason you have to wait,
they are all on 3/4" video, not regualr 1/2" like most every VCR(they are
broadcast tapes that i have) so i have to wait to get back to school to the
video editing bays to copy to normal VHS, ya see

so there's something to look forward to.....

thanks

casey

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:54:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: whatever whatever <whatever_45@yahoo.com>
Subject: interviews

does anyone has any interviews that they can send me an e-mail version
of? if you do can you please send them to me
thanks
P.S. does anyone know which country the 'brick' single with 'she don't
use jelly' is from?

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:16:32 EDT
From: Gunther256@aol.com
Subject: Re: Responding to Ms. Barbon's question

The last I heard, the official reason for choosing the name was because Ben +
piano were the focus of the group and Ben Folds Five "sounds a lot better than
Ben Folds Three."
If anyone knows for sure that this is wrong, I'd be greatly interested.....
please let me know via email because I don't read every Armchair.  There's far
too many of them.

- - Rob

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:11:29 EDT
From: Beatles050@aol.com
Subject: my two cents on old news

Hey hey everyone:
  --I'm glad that at least someone shares my view on "Twin Falls."  It really
is a great song.
  --Question:  I know about Ben's solo album...but when is it going to be
released?  Does anyone know?
  --I also read a post from a while back on how the Beach Boys have such
excellent harmony.  (And they do.) But if you ask me, (and I'm sure no one
is...)  I still believe that the Beatles are the masters of harmony.  (Listen
to the Sgt. Pepper album and Abby Road and you'll see what I'm talking about.)
That's it for now.  Oh...one more thing:  kudos to those who have posted BFF
sheet music on the net.  I've really been enjoying it.

Daryl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:58:43 EDT
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: BF5 and total lies

> Anyhow, I found it to be completely sarcastic and BS (making the DJ look
> like a fool for wanting to know more :) ) , but who knows??

It's been my experience that the boys are just complete liars sometimes, and I
think it's a kind of coping mechanism that helps them deal with being on the
road and all that shit. I remember reading a thing an an Austin paper-- the
feature was called "Roadkill," and was apparently a regular feature that
spotlighted touring bands as they stopped in Austin. Anyway, Ben spun this
wild tale-- like it was a contest to see which band had the best/ worst story
involving roadkill-- about how the band was driving along, came over a hill,
and plowed into a bear. If I remember correctly, Ben said it was the biggest
bear they'd ever seen, that there was fur in the truck's grill, and I think
there was a quote that went something like, "Here's this bear, just minding
its own business and along comes a rock band at a hundred miles an hour to
take its life."

There are tons of other stories that repeatedly make me mutter to myself,
"These guys are so full of shit." But I mutter it in a good way, because they
crack me up.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:22:29 EDT
From: Nycurator@aol.com
Subject: car dancing to the amazing BFF

<<<Hey...in addition to air piano and harmonizing....what about bouncing
around
and snapping while driving? Can't forget that upper body dancing now..
                                          Emmaline20@aol.com>>>>>

I'm all over this, too! Last night on a late-night run to Wal-Mart, my friend
and I played the NBP versions of "One Angry Dwarf" (how could you *not* air-
piano to that?) and "Bad Idea" over and over again, car dancin' like crazy at
the stoplights--a total BFF moment that reminded me of how we bopped around at
the Starlake show earlier this month... *sigh*

Lesly

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:53:00 CDT
From: lsman4572@lsvax.lsmsa.edu
Subject: RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1084

This is a really stupid question, but I'm from a small town in north Louisiana
so I have an excuse for my stupidity.  How does one go about getting bootlegs.
I have no idea!  You can answer me on e-mail if you would like.  Thanks so much!Now, on to do calculus!
Love and butterflies!
- -Celia

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:17:39 +0200
From: "Guillaume" <dakoolguy@hol.fr>
Subject: I wish it was last september...

Bonjour les "Armchairiens" et "Armchairiennes" !!!
Here's what is written on the inside booklet of NBP, concerning the song
Emaline:
"Cut off the first album basically because the label wasnt comfortable with
marketing an album with 15 songs like we wanted. [...] We always thought it
was the single..."

So, if this song was "the single", why didnt they put it on the album and
cut off another song from the self titled ? I knew that the record company
can choose how many songs are on the album, but dont tell me that it can
also choose the songs that are included on the disc... Or even, they could
have put it anyway on the disc, even if it wouldnt have been released as a
single...
Well, maybe everything isnt that easy... Just my thoughts, bye bye,
    Guillaume, the french BFF fan ; ))
   Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (français & english):
   http://www.mygale.org/~bff

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 16:31:56 EDT
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Other artists, divorce

In a message dated 98-06-24 20:51:00 EDT, Brian Chan writes:

> On an unrelated note, the question was brought about other bands that BFF
>  fans like from that list of bands (forgot the post)...well I think
>  Pavement's really cool.

I think this is an interesting thread. I've been reading it with a frown on my
face, though, due to someone writing that most BF5 fans are TMBG fans. Well, I
for one am not a TMBG fan. I don't hate them or anything, but they're not my
favorite. Also, I didn't really have an opinion (oh my god, imagine that) on
DMB until I heard the "Don't Drink The Water" single-- I really dug it, and I
thought it was Peter Gabriel (take another listen, Dave sounds like Peter for
the first half of the tune), and now I'm starting to get into DMB. I don't
know who else we all allegedly like, but I for one still can't get enough of
Sting and the Police, and Prince is right behind in terms of frequency in my
CD player. Anyone else?

In a message dated 98-06-24 20:51:00 EDT, mcgregor writes:

> Maybe they wont realease it because of the divorce but whatever

Am I woefully behind, or didn't this turn out to be a rumor in the same vein
as the Ben Is Gay/ A Crackhead farce?

OK, well, I guess that's all I have.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 20:45:23 EDT
From: Bone1095@aol.com
Subject: Re:Instruments

I asked Ben what kind of piano he plays on before one his Nashville shows and
he said it was a Steinway. BTW, I was wondering if anybody on the list was
from the Nashville area.  :)
                                                           -Travis
Bone1095@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:15:28 PDT
From: "Jeff Jackson" <j940651@hotmail.com>
Subject: June 5th EDGEFEST

Hey people.
Does anyone have a good tape or any tape really of BFF in
Darien Lake,NY June 5th show?
I can trade or work something good for a copy.
I'm off-list so e-mail me.
Thanks,
JJ.
j940651@hotmail.com