Issue #1089 - June 29, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest     Monday, June 29 1998     Volume 01 : Number 1089

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, such as the server problem
last week, please check the list archive address on the web
(http://oeonline.com/bff/list/) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Ben's Piano
    Ben Folds Five Posters
    random bits of info
    Emaline as "the single"
    Glastonbury Festival 1998
    Kate Single/Video
    Its tough starting a collection
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1087
    bff article
    Re: I wish it was last september...
    My 2 cents worth...
    cover
    the kate single
    Re: a useless question
    steinway on tour
    Can anyone help me?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1087
    re: car dancing and "air"
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1086
    MTV, Cover.

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 13:10:19 -0400
From: Sean Kiely <seank@CYBERNEX.NET>
Subject: Ben's Piano

I thought he had a Steinway?

sean

treading water

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:26:04 -0500
From: houghtot@lcm.macomb.lib.mi.us
Subject: Ben Folds Five Posters

Heylo everybuddy!  I have a (seemingly) very simple question:  Where in
the Detroit, MI area can you get a BFF poster???  I have checked
numberous web sites (to order online) and almost every music store in
the area with no luck.  How sad it is that Hanson can be found
everywhere, yet a quality band like the BFF does not get the
appreciation it deserves... Thanks for your help!  --Chloe Houghtot

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 13:48:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: random bits of info

Okay, here are some of my musings after reading the past four armchairs.

Fear of Pop, aka the solo album, will probably be released in the fall.
When Ben gets back from Europe he's going to finish it; apparently they're
waiting to get William Shatner to do some vocals.  No kids, this will not
be another BFF album in any sense, it's very experimental.

Um, yes, Ben did get divorced, but happily for him he is now dating a yoga
instructor from Australia.  She's got the neatest accent!  Why do I feel
weird for telling this info?

A BFF cover I'd like to see?  Jojo by Boz Scaggs.  I just think it'd be
cool.

The people who like Twin Falls--you should definitely check out the rest
of There's Nothing Wrong With Love, the album it's from.  Built to Spill
is awesome.

And do we really think they'll be releasing another single?  It seems
kinda useless since they won't be able to really go out and support it
like they did Brick, since they'll be working on the album.  I dunno,
that's what I thought.

Um, yeah, I'm through rambling for today.

Ginger :)

Ooooo  Ginger Nance
(   )  ginger_nance@unc.edu
 ) (   http://www.unc.edu/~gnance
 (o)   GO HEELS!!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:03:06 +0000
From: mark & mikell brown <brownmm@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Emaline as "the single"

Mon ami Guillaume asked re: Emaline-

> So, if this song was "the single", why didnt they put it on the album and
> cut off another song from the self titled ?

Well, when we interviewed Ben in November & asked about the upcoming
"B-sides" album, he said it wasn't really b-sides at all (we know that
now!) and that, in fact, it contained some songs that were slated to be
on s/t but were cut out by Caroline because of length. Evidently Ben
took responsibility for doing the cutting and, as he told us, he was so
pissed at Caroline he deliberately cut Emaline, which was expected to be
"the single." He seems to be quite adamant about exerting artistic
control over his music (as per the Sony 550 deal) and so those of you
who have expressed concerned about the guys "selling out" needn't worry.
They have navigated the shark infested waters of the music biz thus far
without compromising their integrity, and I have no doubt that they will
continue to do so. It will be interesting to see what happens on the
next album, won't it?

Here's to a positive Armchair experience! (I'm so glad the dark days of
infighting, bitching and flaming seem to have waned.)

mikell b.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:16:27 +0100
From: Paul May <paulmay@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Glastonbury Festival 1998

Hi Everybody

I was wondering if anybody was at Glastonbury to see BFF play on Saturday.
I watched some of it on TV (Last Polka) last night. Personally....I thought
they looked a bit uncomfortble. Only some of the crowd seemed to know who
they actually were. I hope everyone hasa good time at the London gig
tomorrow, even though I'm upset the band aren't playing Dublin this time
round :(

Welll...that's about it. I'd love to hear from any UK/Ireland fans out
there, and don't forget to check out the ever-growing Magical Armchair wall
of shame!

Thanks

Paul
________________________________

http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulmay
________________________________

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:16:26 +0100
From: Paul May <paulmay@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Kate Single/Video

Hi Everybody

Kate was released as a two part single in the UK and Ireland, AND the video
was played on TV, although it was pretty rare. It wasn't just for "web
fans".....and it was hillarious!

So...there you go...

Paul
________________________________

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:31:33 EDT
From: Pyser98@aol.com
Subject: Its tough starting a collection

okay--i have a decent, well, low number of cd singles from the boys, but am
really interested in bootlegs...mainly of the older stuff like Cool Whip and
Rocky and all....can anyone help me out? please?! e-mail me privately

if fashion is your trade, then when youre naked, i guess you must be
unemployed (pulp)

aaron

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:55:11 EDT
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1087

In a message dated 6/28/98 11:38:14 AM Central Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< I played the NBP versions of "One Angry Dwarf" (how could you *not* air-
 piano to that?) >>

What?!  I want a NBP with OAD on it!!!!!

Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Leigh <emaline5@yahoo.com>
Subject: bff article

I think I remember reading a post about BFF appearing in the
Entertainment Weekly double issue. I went to the store and couldn't
find it anywhere.  Am i right, or do I not know what the hell I'm
talking about...  Whoever posted this or knows anything about it,
please e-mail me.

Leigh

The Page That's Uncanny To See
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:20:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: punx@psnw.com
Subject: Re: I wish it was last september...

>So, if this song was "the single", why didnt they put it on the album and
>cut off another song from the self titled ? I knew that the record company
>can choose how many songs are on the album, but dont tell me that it can
>also choose the songs that are included on the disc... Or even, they could
>have put it anyway on the disc, even if it wouldnt have been released as a
>single...
>Well, maybe everything isnt that easy... Just my thoughts, bye bye,
>    Guillaume, the french BFF fan ; ))

I think it had to do more with the no guitar thing.  and emaline happens to
be one of the two BFF songs with guitar in them.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:17:10 -0500
From: houghtot@lcm.macomb.lib.mi.us
Subject: My 2 cents worth...

Okay, all you people that say B. Folds plays a Steinway... Nope, it's a
Baldwin.  5'5" Baldwin Model M.  I must say, I was very proud when I
found out that we have the same kind of piano.  :-)

Did anyone catch my post about finding BFF posters in the Detroit area??
 I really would appreciate a poster of my favorite guys!

And I also read here that someone is posting BFF sheet music on the
net... I would LOVE to find out the addy for the music, because it's
really a pain in the ass to figure out the songs by ear and tinkering on
the piano.  That's how I had to figure out Brick, and I'm not too sure
about figuring out other songs, they're really too complex to figure by
ear!  :-)

Know what?  Whenever I obsess about my BFF (that's what I call them, "my
BFF"), people go, "Oh, they're the Brick guys, aren't they?"  Grr.
That's not a good enough representation of them.  Yes, Brick is quality,
but it's a very different style than OAD, SFTD, etc.  Did y'all know
that VH1 is popping Brick in a pop-up video?  And that on August 7 BFF
are gonna be on Hard Rock Live?  Good deal.

Someone wanted to know the bands BFF fans like myself like?  Well, I'm a
60s 70s buff, so I love Simon & Garfunkel, OLD Elton John (emphasis on
OLD), Fleetwood Mac, Temptations, Carol King, James Taylor... I also
enjoy Matchbox 20, some Beck, the occasional Our Lady Peace, and
anything I can find on the radio.  Are there any BFF fans on this list
that are going to Interlochen Arts Camp this summer?  I'd love to talk
to ya there.

That's enough for now!  :-)  Love yas!

Chloe Houghtot

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:23:24 -0400
From: cherry@idirect.ca
Subject: cover

I would love it if BFF covered "boyfriend, girlfriend" by the folk implosion.
Wow, that would be amazing.
Have a nice day
Val

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 98 19:33:26 EDT
From: "Emily Durand" <edurand@nunet.neu.edu>
Subject: the kate single

Maybe I'm missing something here, but whether or not Kate was technically
radio-relased stateside as a single, it still *is* a single.  I/O/W, you can
get a copy of it as a single, which I have done (way to go, Newbury Comics!).
 It's a double set, one with "All the Pretty People" as a B-side and the
other with "Mitchell Lane" I think.  What's the argument?  m.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:43:04 EDT
From: Luna1118@aol.com
Subject: Re: a useless question

Useless fact: At the Ben Folds Five concert, I declared that I was going to
marry a boy in an orange shirt because he held his lighter up and then went,
"Ow!" , 'cause he burnt himself but he didn't care and kept dancing. That's
all.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:47:49 -0400
From: dave1179@juno.com
Subject: steinway on tour

      There was a question of whether or no the steinway goes on tour
with Ben...  I can answer with a resounding yes...  the goddamn thing
ways a ton..  the legs of the piano detatch and are put in a case along
with the rest of the piano.  the case is roughly 6 ft. tall, about 2 ft.
wide.. it's longer than it is tall, but I don't recall by how much.. oh
yeah, it's (thankfully) on wheels..  To get an idea of its size, it took
about 6 rather large guys to haul it up a ramp onto a three foot high
stage at Georgetown (a few of the roadies and a couple of us students..
just lots of fun) and we had to get it a moving start to actually get the
front wheelst onto the ramp (which was only about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch
thick at that point)
   Hmm.. other piano quirks include that Ben routinely breaks a few of
the keys when he launches the bench (or so one of the roadies told us
later "...he broke a few of the fucking keys again..")
    Oh yeah, it barely fits in a standard type elevator..  diagonal
corner to corner it just makes it.. that should give you a better idea..
   Anyone else out there with interesting stories of getting the piano
into / out of a venue?

					Dave

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 20:14:34 EDT
From: Fantine222@aol.com
Subject: Can anyone help me?

Salut Fivers!

I need some help from nice pianists out there who can help me with BFF stuff.
I can play piano quite well, but I need some help on a few songs.  Thanks in
advance!!

cheerio.
cait

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 20:45:04 EDT
From: SouperDv@aol.com

Hey everybody, why do we have to keep talking about why the boys are called
Ben Folds Five? That is the oldest damned subject...it pre-dates the "meaning
of Brick" debate for cryin out loud.

In other news, Ben's solo project is supposed to be out in September, at least
that's what he told us groupies after the Atlanta show.  I forgot to ask him
if he is going to play other instruments besides piano on the album. He did
say it was going to be instrumental.

SUPERDAVE (The man without the plan)

"Maybe I'm thinkin myself in a hole..."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:00:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: re: car dancing and "air"

song for the dumped is great for car dancing/singing, especially with the
windows down. people hear this *ahem* grown woman shouting "F*** YOU TOO"
and they look over and i go "give my money back, you bitch" and i just
see their eyes roll ;)

anybody interested in discussing "air"? you can email me if you want. the
lyrics finally showed up on www.lyrics.ch (and i think most of them are
correct) and we've decided we know what it's about.... but we're still
not positive :) i'd love for one of the guys to just SAY what it's about,
but i haven't been able to find an interview about it. help?

judi smith                                  i'm afraid of aeroplanes
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                       even though i like the way
                                        it feels to be a person in the sky
would you catch me if was falling?                  "A320"
kiss me if i was leaving?                              -- foo fighters
hold me cause i'm lonely without you?
           -- counting crows

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:20:39 EDT
From: DDNGOSBT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1086

In a message dated 6/28/98 10:27:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, owner-
armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< real and
 non-real fans >>
Abby,
   Whats this?  Non-real fans?  I hope this isnt getting into the discussion
about how you're only a fan if you liked BFF before Brick.  So...what are you
saying?  What is a @!#^&%# non-real fan?
~Kristin :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:26:13 EDT
From: Zyah@aol.com
Subject: MTV, Cover.

Another Ben Folds Five clip on MTV:
Yeah, they had this movie special on Jennifer Love Hewitt, and I was watching
it in hopes that they would have an interview with Ethan Embry.  The clip they
showed of him is barely one minute long, but still.  Personally, I can't stand
"Love." (ugh).  Anyway, when she was meeting her fans or something, Song For
The Dumped was playing, which I thought was a little surprising.  Maybe this
just annoys me, I don't know, but it gets on my nerves when they play songs
that don't fit the scene.  Well, for her, maybe that one did, I don't know.
The point is, MTV does use a lot of their songs, but why can't they play the
videos?

Oh, and yeah, I think Bohemian Rhapsody would make an interesting cover...

that's it,	"and my mind is a mind that i have come to know
Lauren		 and my eyes can't conceive a world that cannot grow."
						Blind Melon, *Paper Scratcher*
<A HREF="http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/rocksphere">To Subscribe To
RockSphere Mailing List</A>
To Subscribe To The E-zine Generation Y E-mail Zyah@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:43:18 EDT
From: JGreenb106@aol.com

<<  It was music
 without words.  But BFF kicked ass!!!  My friend and I got to meet Ben
 before the show and he signed my ticket stub and everything.  Very cool. >>

I may be over-reacting, but what is so wrong with music without words?  If you
personally don't like it, that's okay.  But everything that you dislike you
dismiss by saying "that sucks".  Personally, I love Medeski Martin and Wood.
Obviously you are restricting yourself from listening to Thelonious Monk,
Charlie Parker, some of the best work of the Grateful Dead, Gershwin (who is
quoted in the end of "Philosophy"), and here comes the big shock...BEN FOLDS'
SOLO ALBUM!!! Guess you don't like BFF music-only songs like Dr.Pyser or For
All the Pretty people, either. Give them a try, I think that they're great.
Like I said, it's okay to personally find your musical pleasures in lyrics-
only music, but don't insult those of us who do by saying "no words...that
sucks."

ari