Issue #1094 - July 1, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Wednesday, July 1 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1094

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF! If you are having trouble, send mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, such as the server problem
last week, please check the list archive address on the web
(http://oeonline.com/bff/list/) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    For taping newbies
    A few random thoughts
    BFF & The "Real" World
    Ben's sick humor.
    Re: Few things... (fave harmony etc)
    Conan O'Briiiiiiiieeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1075
    tony who rants :)
    2/16/98 Detroit Concert Boot?  Also 4th of july concert
    sheet music demand....problem solved
    mp3's, please....
    Pics from Glastonbury Festival
    DAMN!!!
    poster
    nontent, robert's car
    SFTD in Oz
    June 29th gig review type thing.

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:40:05 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: For taping newbies

Well i'm glad you all are asking about how to start trading. This month
(july) in THE SHRUBBERY we will be taking an extensive look at the trading
phenom. I have written a sort of "how-to" article with tips and whatnot
from "expert" traders (all of them BFF traders, btw) and given some links
as well.

If you'd like to be on the mailing list to know when this issue of THE
SHRUBBERY will come out, then let me know and i'll mail you. otherwise,
check out the June issue!

Jess

        I'm not just naked, I'm Naked for Jesus!!!
        *      --+-Read The Shrubbery-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
        --New Every Month- -Humor, News and More--

         * Ben Folds Five International Fans Page *
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/fans.html
       --Get a "Ben" Pal-  -Now Spans 11 Countries--

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:54:07 -0400
From: "M. Pratt" <mpratt@voicenet.com>
Subject: A few random thoughts

OK, here's the latest BFF ramblings that have been running through my head.

1.  Does anyone know if Darren's Girlfriend in Summer B is the same
girlfriend who inspired SFTD?

2.   Does anyone know what Evaporated is really about.  I know the official
explanation is that it's about Loss, but can anyone elaborate on this.  It
just sounds so heartbroken.

3.  I think BFF should cover "I Don't Like Mondays".

4.  On Y-100 (Philadelphia), every morning the DJ picks a songs that he
likes that doesn't normally make get played on the radio, and this morning,
Preston's Pick of the Day was BFF's cover of She Don't Use Jelly.

I'm done.

Maria

(insert random BFF quote here)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:29:03 EDT
From: SoNiKSpAm@aol.com
Subject: BFF & The "Real" World

<< That is correct sah!  It's so annoying to watch Real World or something
 and hear them play OAD, Brick, or SFTD (three I hear quite frequently)
 so ya *know* they know Brick... but yet he's not good enough to knock
 Puff Daddy out of some video slots?  Hmm... >>

heh like M2 plays some of their videos (SFTD is on HEAVY rotation - um like 8
times a day its played....they are on 3 hr intervals and like divide that into
24 and walah) and sum other stuff is popped in there every -rare- occasion..
but like its mainly SFTD...heheh i love that video!!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:29:40 EDT
From: PSYCHOPAF@aol.com
Subject: Ben's sick humor.

Someone wrote:

<< ok..so i dont think this is true, but i thought it would add a little humor
 everyones day.
 my friend will swear to me that the name ben folds five is a subtle reference
 to masterbating....ben has five fingers and he must fold them over to do the
 deed...so, well, you get the jist.  when i informed him that bens last name
is
 folds he just responded with a weak "oh."
 it made me laugh. >>

I can contribute. When he was here, on May 22nd, we talked a little bit, and
when he had finished his Mr. Pibb, he said, "Amy, do you know why Mr. Pibb
comes in a can?" and I was like, "No..?" and he continues, "Because his wife
died." at first I was like .. "What??" and when Robert and Darren started
snickering, I figured it must have another meaning. Well, it does. :-) For all
of those who don't get it... e-mail me. LOL, I couldn't stop laughing!

Your mermaid friend,
Amy
___________
- --------
''I can't tell if I'm alive and dreaming, or dead and remembering."

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 98 21:34:36 EDT
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Few things... (fave harmony etc)

"Grover" <grover@powerup.com.au> wrote:

<<<Someone (not sure who) said the other day something about the
lyrics to The
  Last Polka, specifically interpretting the 'other 25 before you' as
25
  years. It kinda surprised me, because I interpretted it as 25 people
(which
  is kinda excessive now that I think about it...) Just wondering was
I alone
  on this? Am I truly a nutcase? (yeah, i know the answer to that one

  already) >>>

Actually, I was under the same assumption.  You are not alone.

Rey

http://radiolink.net/rey
rey@radiolink.net

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 98 21:46:59 EDT
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: Conan O'Briiiiiiiieeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!

David Prager <dsprager@mailbox.syr.edu> wrote:

<<<  I really dig the idea of a get-together before or after the Conan

  show on the 16th. What do y'all think? I don't know the area too
well,
  otherwise I'd suggest a place... >>>

Dave, it looks like a bunch of us are going to try to meet at a nearby
TGIFriday's, just a block North of 30 Rock, I believe.  A few of us will
be there at around 1:30 and then we plan on getting on line early. Hope
to see you there.  Take care.

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:00:14 EDT
From: Nukky18@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1075

damnit! south florida really sucks. does anyone know if BFF is playing with
Dave Matthews in august for the south florida date? noone (even ticket master
) can give me a straight answer!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:24:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: tony who rants :)

Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1092

why do you "expect more" from ben folds five fans than to actually enjoy
music you don't like? i admit to being snobbish about hootie, but i can
see where there's a place for music like celine dion and hootie. why
can't people who enjoy "GOOD" music like bff also like "easy-to-get-into"
music like mb20 and third eye blind? this snobby superior attitude about
bands YOU (whoever you are) don't like is getting a little old. when you
get to be my age, you learn a bit more about life and learn not to sound
like a snot about other people's musical tastes. and if that sentence
pissed you off, good ;) i meant it to. that's how other people feel when
they read that YOUR opinion is the only one that matters. i personally
like both mb20 and 3eb, partly because my daughter likes them too. i
can't stand hootie. but i admit i enjoy a hanson song or two, just for
novelty. there's nothing WRONG with that. music is music. it's supposed
to make you feel good.
lighten up, i guess is my point :) like who you like, and quit thinking
you're better than someone else because they like someone you find banal.
there are those who feel that way about bff too, trust me !

judi smith                        Fine, add butter and blimp up even more.
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                  I really don't give a flying fig.
                                                    -- jesus, or
would you catch me if was falling?                       someone like him
kiss me if i was leaving?
hold me cause i'm lonely without you?
           -- counting crows

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:25:06 -0400
From: Mike Baltus <merlin@advdata.net>
Subject: 2/16/98 Detroit Concert Boot?  Also 4th of july concert

Long time no post,
Anyways i was wondering if a boot of the 2/16/98 show at clutch cargos
ever surfaced.  If anyone knows anything about it please e-mail me or
post about it, i desparately would like to get my hands on it.

Also,  I looked in my tv book to make sure the july 4th concert was on
at 11:30 on abc but its not, its on at like 2......what is that, anyways
maybe its just in the detroit area but if anyone has ANY info on that
boot it would be great.

Fav harmony:  Has to be the "Everyday you wake up late in BOWCCL. its
simply perfect.
Fav piano solo:  Has to be the beggining of philosophy.

One last thing please you guys just put an end to all the sensless
personal garble none of us understand.

Thanks a bunch,
- -Mike

"And I poured my heart out and it evaporated........see?
- -Ben Folds Five

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kevin Tyburski <tyburski@rocketmail.com>
Subject: sheet music demand....problem solved

Hey all..

hope everyone's well..
well i see in the past few..well dozen armchairs that
there is a huge demand for sheet music.  I guess i
can help y'all out.  I play piano very well by ear
takes me a while but it comes out great(better than
the BFF book, these trans. are for good pianists).
If anyone needs sheet music email me..usually if
people need a song they'd hook me up with a tip,
tape, stickers anything really because it takes me a
while, but it'll be very good.  the stuff is mainly
for the time and generosity.
later all,
===
Kev Ty

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we
are.
- -- Talmudic Saying

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:04:44 -0400
From: John Maynard <mayns@netcom.ca>
Subject: mp3's, please....

Hi,
    I've had the unfortunate, but not unusual, luck of having my
computer crash on me.  Now, amongst other things, I have lost the
address of some very good BFF mp3 sites.  Web searches have pulled up a
few, but the one I'm looking for just wasn't there.  So if happen to
maintain a rather large bff mp3 www(anagram attack!) site, or you know
of a good one, please feel free to let me know.  I appreciate the help.
    For content's sake, I likethe length of "Twin Falls".  The song is
very repetitive, melody-wise, and anything longer than 2 and 1/2 minutes
might become grating without some sort of change.  Well, that's my two
cents.

John Maynard

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:59:13 EST
From: "Paul Farnham" <pfarnham@loki.berry.edu>
Subject: Pics from Glastonbury Festival

Some vidcaps from the Glastonbury Festival can be found at:

	http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/1221/index.htm

look under the "Sat 27th" section to find BFF pix. Is that a yamaha
piano ben's playing??  :)  also, in the second to last picture does
anyone else think that ben looks like he's running on little/no
sleep?
enjoy,
paul

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 01:18:40 EDT
From: KrZy29@aol.com
Subject: DAMN!!!

Hey all..i'm so pissed...not only is my Naked Baby CD missing (i think my
sister destroyed it..she hates BFF, obviously a very stupid girl) but...my
Whatever cd keeps skipping, the only song that doesn't is brick, ironic isn't
it? but...I'm scared to trade it in for another one because i dont want the
one without the conversations in between the songs..so my question is...is
there anyway to tell the difference...please e-mail me...thank you kindly

Kristina

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 02:18:56 EDT
From: Zyah@aol.com
Subject: poster

Today I went to the Poster Warehouse in Philly...No Ben Folds Five posters.  A
bunch of Hanson, Manson (as in Marilyn), and Leonardo DiCaprio, though.  You
know, if anyone's interested. :)  WHERE in the PA-DE-NJ area can I get a BF5
poster? I did find a cool Foo Fighters postcard, and one of Beck.  Hey,
- --hansen--.  I'm noticing a trend..Ok, well, i'm ending this message now.  B/c
if I were you, I'd probably skip over this post!  :)

Bye,	   "been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding"
Lauren			Harvey Danger *Flagpole Sitta*
<A HREF="http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/rocksphere">To Subscribe To
RockSphere Mailing List</A>
To Subscribe To The E-zine Generation Y E-mail Zyah@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 02:31:33 EDT
From: Zyah@aol.com
Subject: nontent, robert's car

<put a good looking band on MTV (no matter how cookie-cutter they sound) and
they're gonna make money (see hanson).>

Hey, very good point!  One thing though--
Hanson= good-looking? I don't know about that one.  :)

About the thing in Rolling Stone a while back about Robert's car, car
speakers, etc.  Did they just call him on the phone "hey robert, what kind of
car do you drive?!"  Where do they get these article ideas from?

Bye,
Lauren
<A HREF="mailto: zyah@aol.com">To Subscribe To The E-zine Generation Y</A>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:58:30 +1000
From: "Keenan's home base" <keenan@globec.com.au>
Subject: SFTD in Oz

Just as I was sitting at the computer reading the MA, what do I hear but
SFTD!! About Bloody Time!! It seems that they've finally released it hear
in Oz because it's  on JJJ...it will be interesting to hear how it does.
For all those who were wondering it's SFTD swearing intact.

So there you go....now I'll go back to lurking.
Julia

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:07:14 +0000
From: "Luke Wilson"<Luke_Wilson@fwuk.fwc.com>
Subject: June 29th gig review type thing.

Hello everyone,

Well, and there they were. 3 fine men, in their prime, on a stage scarily
reminiscent of "Enchantment Under the Sea". Anyway, most of the people who
said they'd be there were, cheers to Kirsty, Emily, Romany and Tony and all
of my posse who didn't drop out at the last minute for showing their faces,
but, well, I'm just wondering what happened to Andy and Ben. Anyway,
support consisted of Solid Gold (ick.) and Chip Taylor (a mere _god_), and
the fellas finally made it on stage at roughly 9:25pm.They played (not in
order):

Fair, Emaline, Battle, Selfless, Underground (sans Jessee talkie bit),
Brick, Evaporated, Raindrops, Air, OAD, Steven's, Jackson Cannery,
Philosophy, Julianne, Dig/Lick My Shoes (sorry, couldn't quite make it
out), Alice Childress and SFTD (topped off with stool toss from atop the
speaker stack).

Yes, that's right. No Last Polka, no Kate, no Missing the War. To be
honest, although it was a good gig ( for they could never play a poor one)
it was the worst I've seen them play. Having said that, there was a fair
ol' bit of showmanship, namely from Ben and Rob, but there were a few too
many slow ones for my liking, and the crowd seemed, well, (pardon me for
saying this, it's just my opinion, sorry, sorry, sorry) younger. Too many
lovesick young girls.

Then to top it all off, I managed to get an Aftershow ticket, only to have
it stolen by the F****** C***-******* piece of **** w**** of a *******
security guard. B****.

Well, there you have it. And apparently, this is the last time they'll be
playing London for a while, at least till after the recording of their
third studio album.

Cheers

Luke

"This one's one I wrote back in the 60's" - Chip Taylor.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:55:01 EDT
From: SouperDv@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1092

<< to whoever said this... RIGHT ON... it would make a great bff cover.  they
 certainly have what it takes for some terrific harmony, and they could
 really rock it... i mean, its the perfect song to demonstrate what bff can
 do...  i can picture it all now--  the most beautiful 3 part harmonys
 during the sad \slow parts, to robert fuzzing it up during the
 'headbanging" part.  shit yeah that would most definetely rock.  i can see
 this being one of those things they would do at a concert, like freebird,
 where they would start it out right, then totally go nuts at the fast part.
  hell yeah.  i hope so one day... >>

It sucks , cause I asked Ben if he would ever consider covering Bohemian
Rhapsody.
He said it would be "too hard" since it has so much guitar.  He thought it was
a funny idea though...God it would be perfect if they did...
SUPERDAVE