Issue #1122 - July 18, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, July 18 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1122

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Mass Request on Total Request: TIME AND DATE
    Re: Conan is on. Don't believe the hype!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1120
    an hour until conan and counting....
    melbourne armchair meet
    Re: bad trader
    Serena Altschul
    Conan
    Boys on Conan
    give me my $ back, YOU BITCH
    Drop this trader a note?
    O'Brian Live last night
    covers, wish, brisbane fans
    Cinan O'Brien
    Ben on Conan
    Conan, the fan club, and fans
    Ben Folds throwing his stool
    Conan O'Brien

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:06:20 EDT
From: Foldsledge@aol.com
Subject: Mass Request on Total Request: TIME AND DATE

Thank you to all the people supporting this mass request. It was a HUGE
turnout of people, possibly you, who want to see SFTD on the countdown. Here's
what will happen:
Wednesday, July 22
- -We're shooting for the countdown AT NIGHT, which starts at 8:30 eastern time.

- -Email Total Request at this address: total@mtvmail.com. They start accepting
emails an hour before showtime. You can also call, 1800-DIAL MTV

- -Watch and see the results

Again, thank you everyone for helping!!!

allison

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jul 98 22:27:57 EDT
From: Rey Anthony (rey@radiolink.net) <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Conan is on. Don't believe the hype!

Dan Cohen <wizard@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>  OK. Now it's rumor-killer time. Whoever said that Conan was cancelled is >
a stupid, stupid child and should be cast out to a volcanic island in
>  the South Pacific with only an annoying dog named Chichi for company.

Yes, whoever said that, shame on you.  You had me up all night looking for
info about the cancellation (since I had EIGHT tickets).  It was great, of
course and this won't show up until after the airing so I don't have to tell
you about it.  Let me be the first to congratulate Dan (keyserdan) for his
getting the MTV Total Fanatic thing, I can't wait to see the interview.  I met
such a great group of people and had a great time with everybody.  Joanna and
company, Stacy, Leigh, Dan, Ashley, (PLEEZE forgive me if I left anybody out).
 I was a bit overwhelmed and pre-occupied, so if I seemed a bit distant or
anything for a little while there, I apologize.  The meeting of the band after
the show was brief, Robert ran for the limo and Darren stuck around for a few
(brief) meets and greets on his way to the car.  Those who stuck it out for 20
minutes or so got to meet up with Ben, who stuck around for a few short
minutes before jetting.  A nice little get together though.  Thanks everybody.

Rey

http://radiolink.net/rey
rey@radiolink.net

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:31:38 EDT
From: Ewanrocks1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1120

Hey!
 I was in the little import shop in Ambler( not that any of ya have a clue
where in the hell that is) well any way I was talking to the guy that worked
there and he was like realy helpful and told me he just got in 3000 cds and he
knew that there was a Ben Folds Five cd in there and he believed the name was
Summer Lp? But I couldnt have it till next week. has anyone heard of it? he
said that it was a limited edition thing they put out a few years ago. Has
anyone heard of it?
Kara

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kelly Harrigan <hyllek@yahoo.com>
Subject: an hour until conan and counting....

Hey freakin fannie packers...

So, yeah, I'm writing this with about an hour to kill (well probably
more like two) before I see my glorious five on imitation-live tv.
eeek!
   here are the shout-outs i'm givin today...
   1. I'd like to support andy's statement regarding radio stations
and i'd like an answer as much as he does.  see, I'm from pittsburgh
and i promise you, whatever sorry condition you think your hometown
modern rock station is in, it will never be as bad as it is here.
sometimes, i just want to grab those stupid scrawny radio executives
by their big fat heads and say, "listen man, i'm not goin to jail for
you or anybody!...wait...never mind.
   2. speaking of pittsburgh, i'd love it if some pittsburgh
armchairers would mail me and we could start our own little twisted
circle....also i was making a tape remembering the burgh concert on
6/10 and i have a dispute regarding the set list...i can't remember it
exactly, so i'd love someone to mail it to me.
   3. i know this is from SUCH a while back and i havent been keepin
up with my chair mail as much as i could, but, what DID ever happen to
weezer?  it would be cool for the five to cover one of their songs
because i'd love to see how ben translates all of the cool guitar work
they do....
   4. my own observation is that the many here into the five also dig
Barenaked Ladies a lot. comments?

love you all so so much.

Hyllek

"It was no baby, only cans. No baby, just cans."  -My friend Chrissy's
interpretation of the movie Speed (to be read aloud in an Arnold
Schwartzenneger- type voice).

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:59:20 +1000
From: akir2@student.monash.edu.au
Subject: melbourne armchair meet

Ok, as of Monday I'll be checking my email regularly again.  For all
who are interested a few of us are meeting at Luna Park on Friday
before the concert(the 24th) but no specific time has been set yet.
There is probably going to be a picnic before the concert.  If anyone
is interested in meeting the rest of us Melbourne Armchairites(?),
send me an email and let me know, I'll get back to you with more
details on Monday.
Also a week or so ago I walked into the cd section of target to hear
Stephens last night in town playing and the 2 girls behind the
counter bopping along and singing.  Isn't life great when you can
hear great music in places like target!
Anne

ONE WEEK TO GO & 7 HOURS!!!!
(you can't blame me for being more than a little bit excited)

I got the gestures sounds
got the timing down
it's uncanny yeah you'd think it was me.
- - Best imitation of myself   Ben Folds Five

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:14:15 EDT
From: Jazzfolds5@aol.com
Subject: Re: bad trader

i traded with Matt Lacroix (mattl@niagararc.com) and had no problems. he
always awnsered my emails, and the tape he sent was great. maybe you should
try again.
kim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:14:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Leigh <emaline5@yahoo.com>
Subject: Serena Altschul

Hey armchairians..  I don't know if anyone else realized this, but in
Twist(so I got it because of the article of BFF, but I found myself
reading other stuff).  So I read the article about Serena Altschul,
and it asks:

What she listens to:  She's a HUGE Ben Folds Five fan. (!!)

I always thought she was pretty cool.  Anyway, that's all for now.

~Leigh~

*being here has never felt so clear*

The Page That's Uncanny To See
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/BenFolds5/index.html

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:39:34 EDT
From: KamalaICB@aol.com
Subject: Conan

that was the best performance i have ever seen on TV

those glasses.....so adorable

that fringed suit, rob it rocked

casey-girl

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:37:05 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Boys on Conan

Well it was just a THRILL for me to see my favorite band on my favorite
show. Believe me, I was excited!!

The guys did SUCH a great version of SFTD. it was incredible, full of
energy, and it veered from all the cookie-cutter versions of Brick they've
been having to play.

Also, mad props out to Conan and the show's staff for letting the guys go
wild. Did you see the way conan was psyched about their performance? he ran
right up afterwards with much enthusiasm!!

Also, way to go all you MAers and Fijordians who made it to the show.
That's the most applause/cheering i've heard for a band in all the years
i've watched Late Night.

Okay, constructive criticism:

Ben- You're balding. Face up to it, get a haircut! thanks for finally
taking  off those glasses.

Rob- Don't let the country know you are all hicks ;) See wardrobe next time
(however, i must say, Conan looked straight out of the 70's and Andy looked
like he just was parking cars...)

Darren- Eat something!!

Jess :)

        I'm not just naked, I'm Naked for Jesus!!!
        *      --+-Read The Shrubbery-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
        --New Every Month- -Humor, News and More--

         * Ben Folds Five International Fans Page *
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/fans.html
       --Get a "Ben" Pal-  -Now Spans 11 Countries--

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:53:31 PDT
From: "christy hawkins" <christylhawkins@hotmail.com>
Subject: give me my $ back, YOU BITCH

If you missed Conan tonight, I am so sorry because my hometown boys
kicked some major ass! The performance was totally energetic and
inspired. It came complete with the Ben's famous stool throwing and the
amp antics of the totally fine Mr. Robert Sledge. For once TV captured
what I love about the band, humor, a great live show and some damn fine
music. I have a tape of it if anyone didn't get to see it. It will be a
cherished possession since they don't tour the Chapel Hill- Raleigh area
much anymore:( Conan said the CD has reached Platinum status- does
anyone know how many CDs they have sold to date? Just curious how well
they are doing.  Peace, Christy:)

"Do you think I should take a class to lose my Southern accent?"

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:54:27 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Drop this trader a note?

Robbie Chaplick said...
<<	Hello, fellow BFeFans. I would just like to tell everyone that I made a
trade with Matt Lacroix (mattl@niagararc.com) around two months ago
(5/22/98 to be exact). My Emails to him have gone unnoticed, except for a
once in a while "I'll mail it today...sorry, but I ran out of money". If
you have a minute, could you just drop him a note and tell him that he owes
me a tape!!!>>

Please, don't do this. Don't send him a line and bug him for Robbie. That
is such bad etiquitte. This happened to me (where i was the purported bad
trader0 and for one thing, the tape was lost in the mail, not my fault, and
for another thing, having the other guy ask people to do this just made me
mad enough not to care if he ever got the tapes or not.

BenTent....i think LNwCOb's sound guys had Darren's cymbals too high in the
mix.

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:27:21 +0000
From: Christian <colby@alma.edu>
Subject: O'Brian Live last night

Yes, we all are going to be talking about it but how brilliant was
it?!  They played 'dumped!."  And those goofy frames Ben was wearing.
And Roberts distortion beat on the bass.  They played it like it was
at our of our live shows.  Good for them, ace!  And what about
Robert's duds?  The cowhide suit with the little tassels, kick ass!
Please excuse my giddiness, but it was a wonderful show for the guys.
Oh, please hurry up and get back on tour!

Cheers to all...

Christian (ever so loyal) Colby

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"Some days the best thing is to get totally ripped, you know."
- -Plunge

C. Colby
Alma, MI

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:42:10 PDT
From: "Tavia Seymour" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: covers, wish, brisbane fans

covers talk:
I think it was Al who said "dodi at the ritz" by the Whitlams. oh yes
please. (and I agree 'Gough' wouldn't mean anything to bff)

wish:
I wish I lived in whatever town it is (Sydney? Melb?) that Recovery gets
taped in.

brisbane fans:
thanks to all the brissie fans who've emailed about meeting before the
show, if you haven't emailed yet, what are you waiting for?

taves

          "And when the people saw that the
          Band numbered not five, but three,
          they were verily flummoxed. And
          when they saw also that there was
          no Guitar among them, they didst
          tremble, and were sore afraid."

        From the Book of Ben Folds V verse 3b
       (The Scribe - Grid Magazine Interview)

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 07:25:57 EDT
From: JGreenb106@aol.com
Subject: Cinan O'Brien

Sorry...I'm kinda taking up space here...I set up Conan O'Brien to record, and
of course it was cut off...I only got half the song.  Did anbody get a good
tape of it?  PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  I have several tapes to trade if you're
interested.  thanks!
ari

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:36:45 EDT
From: LC54992@aol.com
Subject: Ben on Conan

Hey there!!!! I just saw the boys on Conan.  I must say it was very amusing.
I was so happy to finally get a tv performance of something other than Brick.
When Robert started with the base I thought they were doing some B-side song
that I hadn't heard, but then the piano and drums kicked in and I knew it was
Song For The Dumped.  Different version....but pretty damn funny, if you ask
me!  OKay, that's all.

              Robin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:59:26 EDT
From: TOADSPKT@aol.com
Subject: Conan, the fan club, and fans

Wow, I thought they were amazing!!!!!  And the response from the audience was
wonderful, the biggest response of all the guests :)  the guys have so much
energy, it amazes me.  I can't wait to see them in concert some day..
  Also, I think fan clubs are a good idea, as someone mentioned, a great way
to know band info when you don't have the internet.  fan clubs can also be a
lot of fun for everyone involved.
  and I agree with Loreta(?)  who posted about how it doesn't matter how many
concerts you've been to, how many bootlegs you own, etc. to be a huge fan.
I've never been to a BFF show, but I know I'm a huge fan, I don't need anyone
to tell me that. It's all about the music.  I don't think there are any
"biggest" fans, we all just share a love of this awesome music :)
 Lauren
in the player:
Counting Crows: Across a wire
BFF: everything of theirs :)
Jeff Buckley: Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:02:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Prager <dsprager@mailbox.syr.edu>
Subject: Ben Folds throwing his stool

	Last night, myself and a bunch of my roomates and friends went to
Conan last night to see the band.  They were great, etc etc.  However, my
roomate had a problem with Ben that I would like to share with you guys to
see what you think.
	We all know how Ben throws his stool at the end of SFTD against
his piano.  Neat, we all thought.  However, my roomate thinks otherwise.
Melissa (who is a big fan and has been to a couple of shows) thinks that
the "stool toss" is:

	- "Not important to the climax of the song."
	- "Self-obsessed, exhibitionist action."
	- "Has nothing to do with the song and everything to do with Ben
	   Folds"
	- "Very disappointing move in such a great song."

	I guess she has a point when you stop and think about it.  What do
you guys think about it?  Does anyone know why he does it?  Is it strictly
for theatrical purposes, or is there a method behind his madness?

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:12:26 EDT
From: Emmaline20@aol.com
Subject: Conan O'Brien

It was like Christmas Eve last night. Knowing full well that I would not be
awake for Conan I set the VCR to record (honestly I don't know what's wrong
with me, I used to be able to stay awake til like 3 or 4 am, turning 21 has
made me tired, I guess I'm old). I tried to stay awake but fell asleep, but I
did wake up to the record light on, so naturally, I woke up bright and early
this morning, let's say 8:30-ish and popped the tape in. WOW!!!!! That was a
phenomenal performance. I wish I had been in the audience but you know, my
job, which has become like a thorn in my side, prevented me from going
anywhere but to a mall. Anyways, I have to go, because, yes, work calls again.
Just wanted to say that they were simply fabulous and showed everyone that
they do, indeed, kick ass. Robert's shoes receive good marks, and I did like
the fringe jacket. I just realized that my glasses are similar to Ben's...and
they looked very nice on him. Darren of course, looked good as always. My
little cousin was begging me to play the tape again, get her off the little
Hanson train is what I'm trying to do, perhaps it's succeeding. :)

Sarah :)