Issue #1128 - July 21, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, July 21 1998    Volume 01 : Number 1128

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    The madness behind the method
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1126
    NYC shops
    SFTD Single
    About radio...again
    Dance Remix???? OH NO!
    about MTV
    Re: Non-Bentent but...
    Re: Underground/Kiss Me Son of God
    net50, Conan, stool throwing, bff on tv
    Brisbane fans
    hey hey its saturday, recovery..and JJJ
    BFF CD-single swap
    counting crows newspaper thing
    dance remix brick
    American Singles
    SFTD

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:17:33 EDT
From: Beatles050@aol.com
Subject: The madness behind the method

Hey hey everyone-
ahh yes...the Conan show.  It was great.
  --To the person who said that the performance sucked:  I do see where you're
coming from;  they did go ape-shit during the song.  However I think that it's
great that they are comfortable enough to express themselves in that manner
during a performance.  (Break those cookie cutters!)
  --That leads into my next point.  I do believe that there is a point to
Ben's "throwing of the stool."  It's more than a theatrical tactic.  It's an
expression of the frustration you feel after being dumped.  (After being
dumped) you then go and throw something....sit back...and say "ahh, that's
better."  Of course, I'm basing this on the assumption that Ben does not throw
his stool in any other songs.  Personally I haven't seen him do it...
  --Finally I have a couple of questions:
        1.  Why is Ben growing his hair out?  Eh?  Is it merely laziness?
        2.  Why does Darren look like a crack fiend?  I haven't seen the boys
lately...and       he's gotten awfully skinny.  Where's the beef?

Kudos to Robert and his flamboyant frontiersman attire...

Daryl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:39:30 EDT
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1126

<<
 I can't believe their is a dance remix of Brick!  It sucks.  How can a
 great song be turned into such a big piece of crap?  Can anyone answer
 that question?

Well, I think the Brick remix is really really GREAT!!!!!!!!  Fabulous in
fact.  Brick is such a serious song, and with all the hype, it's a great idea
to liven things up.  The boys actually played the remix version at a show.  So
they like it too.

Never thought I'd be flamed on the Armchair.  And it really didn't bother me
at all :)
I never meant to make anyone mad.  But FANatic is taped, so everyone can stop
flaming me, and e-mailing me telling me that I was flamed!  I'm very aware!

Thank you!

I'm looking for good-ole shots of the boys faces.  If you have a really great
one that you would like to see turned into a piece of Lucy-art, please LMK.
Black and whites esp.

Thanks again,
Lucy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:03:59 EDT
From: Scrud23@aol.com
Subject: NYC shops

Hey guys!  I'll be heading into the city pretty soon.  There are a ton of
music stores in the city, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend the
stores where I can find a lot of BFF stuff.  I've been looking without any
success so I was wondering if anyone can help out...the only store with BFF
imports (and not that many, but a few) is HMV, but there must be
more...thanks!  E-mail me privately =)
- -Jeanette

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:22:43 EDT
From: SyN3RG3@aol.com
Subject: SFTD Single

Hey all,
I just got a promo copy of the SFTD single, it has a cute little kid (boy,
girl?) on the front.. I was wondering if anyone knew who it was? He/She? has
brown hair and brown eyes.. adorable!
just wondering,

Celine
- -----------
Interested in Trading?
http://members.aol.com/SyN3RG3/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:31:30 PDT
From: "Lauren Talbot" <muffyhead98@hotmail.com>
Subject: About radio...again

Now I am on a mission.  I am gonna try to get in contact with some radio
stations in my area ( and I suggest everyone else does too ) and I will
not let up until they play BF5.  Because those guys kick ass and deserve
serious airplay!  I am going to do everything I can to make this work.
Will everybody help?  email me or sign my guestbook at my site at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Balcony/2078/bf5.html.  Thanks!

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:52:59 EDT
From: Keyserdan1@aol.com
Subject: Dance Remix???? OH NO!

In a message with a date muffyhead98@hotmail.com writes:

<< Dance Remix???? OH NO! >>

Well..I asked BFF about it the other day and they said they LOVED it and it's
exactly what the song needed......

?????

Who knew?
- -dan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:05:40 PDT
From: "Lauren Talbot" <muffyhead98@hotmail.com>
Subject: about MTV

Why won't MTV play BF5?  I mean, come'on it's music television Why not
play BF5?  We are still doing the Total Request thing too.
Wednesday July 22nd
At 8:30 EST
email MTV and request SFTD on Total Request.

If everybody does it it might get on the countdown.  If it does,  I know
everybody will like it.  We all gotta do it!

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 00:43:05 EDT
From: JKFett@aol.com
Subject: Re: Non-Bentent but...

I never thought that I would ever post something to the 'Chair that was Non-
Bentent but I couldn't help it. With the past couple of digests saying how
nearly everyone who subscribes is a fan of both BFF AND the Barenaked
Ladies...let me tell you how incredibly awesome BNL was at HORDE this
year...Damn...they rocked...their performance was full of energy, funny, and,
well, all-around groovy I guess...much like a BFF concert. Anyone who has
HORDE coming their way with BNL on the bill...get your asses out there! I
guarantee you will NOT be disappointed!
~JK
P.S. BIG Boy Popper even came out with BNL towards the end to sing, "If I had
a Million Dollars." It was sweet! :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 00:50:33 EDT
From: KamalaICB@aol.com
Subject: Re: Underground/Kiss Me Son of God

wow....i just sang both in my head, and you know....i have to agree with you,
they do sound very very very similar!!

casey-girl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:10:28 PDT
From: "Tavia Seymour" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: net50, Conan, stool throwing, bff on tv

first of all,
thank you to all the lovely people who voted for SFTD in the net50, I
know there were a lot, because SFTD jumped 33 spots from 41 to 8. The
dj's commented alot about what a huge jump it was. Keep voting and soon
we Aussies should see that video on Rage. (Although it's silly the
single's not being released until August. Who runs these things?)

Second of all, boy do I envy all you peoples who got to see Conan
O'Brien (either live or on tv). It sounded beyond brilliant. Do we get
Conan in Oz? And answer that on the armchair if you know, 'cause I'm
sure I'm not the only Aussie who'd like to see it.
(on the topic of Conan, were the glasses Ben wore like the Buddy Holly
ones he wore in the interview with Dave Holloway? Cause in the  pictures
of that interview, Ben looked rather -dare I say it- sweetly geeky.
Maybe it was just the picture quality.)

Third of all, on the stool throwing: as long as Ben enjoys throwing the
stool I personally will enjoy it - but the second he does it 'cause it's
"expected" or he feels he has to, it'll be deader than Australian tv
most weeknights. Speaking of which:

why are Australian tv shows so suckworthy? I can't wait to see the guys
on 'Hey Hey' and 'Recovery' but, man, you just know Daryl's gonna want
to, well... talk to them (being the host and all) and frankly I'm
cringing in anticipation. (Where are our Conans? Where are our
Lettermans? Will someone kill Ray Martin? please!)

But that's whinger's talk, at least they're going to be on!!!!!! Fire up
those video recorders, baby.   (bff will be in oz by the time you read
this!)

By the way thank you to all those who wrote stuff about Conan. It
sounded like it rocked and it made for interesting reading to contrast
the various posts. (Better vicarious bff thrills than none at all.)

perth fans: I expect you to tell us 'bout the concert

apologies on the length (again)

taves

          'But, I beseech your Grace, pardon me;
          I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.'

          (Beatrice in Much Ado about Nothing Act2 sc1)
               (a BA in drama will do this to you)

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:18:52 PDT
From: "Tavia Seymour" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: Brisbane fans

ah, sorry, one more thing.

if you're a Brisbane fan going to the show and don't already know this,
some of us are meeting up beforehand. email me for info!

thanks to those who've emailed already

taves

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:41:39 +1000
From: "Julie 'anti-gavin' Hurst " <julianne@ronscomputers.com.au>
Subject: hey hey its saturday, recovery..and JJJ

OK apparantly bff are gonna be on the request fest tuesday night?
Recovery is a yes! (and im gonna be there) like i asked before..andyone
else get tickets to recovery?
Hey hey is a yes too! And it wasn't last week...its this week..both being
on saturday..
I dont think they CAN be on IMT. IO mean they are playing sydney on monday
night...and its impossible...(unless they are superband)
ok..the melbourne meet is gonna be anywhere....you just tell someone else
you is going where you are gonna be at some time and yeah..
The time is hmmn...all different times of the days..some people are getting
there really early, and some people only an hour before the show..
If you wanna look for me i'll be the one with my mum *sigh* and i'll have
lotsa purple make up on....
Oh yea... i found my radio edit of underground :)

anyways...see ya

 (and stop arguing all the bloody time)

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

              Julie's Australian Ben Folds Five Page
            http://www.angelfire.com/me/katefolds/

"C'mon baby, now throw me a right to the chin...don't just
           stare like you never cared I know you did.."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:01:33 +0200
From: "Steffen Donath" <SDonath@csi.com>
Subject: BFF CD-single swap

Hello everybody!
=20
I am looking for the following BFF CD-Single:
=20
Song for the dumped (Epic/550 Music 664480 2)
    1.. Song For The Dumped (3:40)=20
    2.. Bad Idea (Demo Version) (2:03)=20
    3.. For All The Pretty People (1:55)
Anybody out there who has got a spare copy and would be willing to trade =
against:

Philosophy (Alternation INT 825.095)
    1.. Philosophy (Radio Edit) (3:48) =20
    2.. Tom & Mary (Live) (2:52) =20
    3.. Emaline (Live) (3:39)
This CD-Single was only released in Germany and is pretty hard to come =
across.

So if you are interested in trading please contact me.

Bye

Steffen

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:11:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: whatever whatever <whatever_45@yahoo.com>
Subject: counting crows newspaper thing

anyone who likes counting crows can e-mail me cause I cut out a
newspaper article and also a
picture of them from the sunday mail it’s not much, but I’ll send it
to someone if you want it and can send me something small like a bf5
picture in exchange. counting the days down (till the concert - only
11 sleeps to go!)
Crystal

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 02:44:50 EDT
From: FM3Red5@aol.com
Subject: dance remix brick

i still haven't heard the dance remix of brick...does anyone have it on MP3?

Frank

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:51:24 +0000
From: "Del" <prs14097-001@popmail.prestel.co.uk>
Subject: American Singles

Could someone please tell me if Brick was ever released as a single
in the states or did it get in the top 5 on radio play alone ? If
they did, does it have any good B-sides on.

I heard somewhere the SFTD has been released. Does that have any good
B-sides on ?

Thanks.

Del.

P.S NEVER type Bare Naked Ladies into the Alta Vista search engine
UNLESS your looking for a good time !

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:07:23 -0500
From: finejade@juno.com (Fine Jade)
Subject: SFTD

regarding the person who asked for the track listing for the SFTD
single...
i remember seeing it at an online music store and i believe the single
includes:
SFTD (jap. version)
Missing the War (live)
She Don't Use Jelly
i could be wrong tho. i was up all nite and i couldve read it wrong.

gekleng

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]