Issue #1177 - August 19, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, August 19 1998  Volume 01 : Number 1177

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

PERIODIC PURGE ADVISORY!
   Just want to let you know, in advance, that I'll be removing from the
list in the next couple weeks any addresses that come back as
"undeliverable" for whatever reason - mailbox full, expired in queue,
user unknown, etc. This is to cut down on the volume of net traffic that
happens as a result, not to mention the 20-30 bounce messages sent to my
inbox for each issue of the Armchair that goes out.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Sabrina
    tom & mary/lady madonna/what I got
    news article
    ben stuff in bethlehem, pa
    BMW'S or Yugo's?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1176
    Posters once again
    Tom and Mary and Lady Madonna
    FANatic, the final word??
    AZ loves the boys
    this is NOT a bff site...
    Why California sucks
    bad idea, sftd, steven's
    About superficial people, CD's, posters
    hey nuts.
    [none]

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:29:58 EDT
From: Folds05af@aol.com
Subject: Sabrina

I am not sure if anyone has pasted this yet in the armchair, if so, sorry,
just skip through this. If not, its very interesting:
MTV NEWS ARTICLE:

A Spice Girls track that includes the departed Ginger Spice, will, however, be
included on another TV-based soundtrack, this one for "Sabrina: The Teenage
Witch." The song, entitled "Walk of Life," was previously only available as a
European B-side.

Other artists serving up musical incantations for "Sabrina" include the
Backstreet Boys, Ben Folds Five, Chumbawamba, Robyn and the teenage witch
herself, Melissa Joan Hart, who performs a cover of Blondie's "One Way or
Another."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:16:29 EDT
From: JGreenb106@aol.com
Subject: tom & mary/lady madonna/what I got

Here's another resemblance that I picked up on...listen to the melody in
sublime's "what i got" and the "lady madonna" melody.  they're exactly the
same. i can see the tom & mary resemblance too, but this is uncanny...anyone
agree?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:24:15 PDT
From: "Lauren Davis" <erma2@hotmail.com>
Subject: news article

Hi everyone...

In The Raleigh News & Observer on Thursday, August 13, there was an
article in the Entertainment section about the Lizard & Snake closing
down and they mention Ben Folds in the article.

"Ben Folds was one of the Lizard & Snake's regulars, often conducting
his press interviews there over burritos (Folds also immortalized the
location's former identity as the Hardback Cafe, which he name-dropped
on the 1995 song "Where's Summer B.?")."

Thought you all would be interested...

                  @   @   ===========   @   @
                 //^_^\\ |L A U R E N| //^_^\\
                //     \\ =========== //     \\
                       ~Yo Quiero Email~
         "Ride to live. Relax and...um...biggie fries."

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:37:33 EDT
From: Phishfoods@aol.com
Subject: ben stuff in bethlehem, pa

hello fellow armcharians,

        well I don't really post much on the ma, but since I'm leaving for
school in a couple of days, I was wondering if anyone knew of any stores that
were cool enough to sell bff stuff.  I'm going to lehigh university in
bethlehem, pa.  so if anyone knows of anywhere, or if you're going to lehigh,
email me.  it'd be great to hear from you.

                                  have a great day everyone!

                ~kate

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:53:23 EDT
From: NEWR0CK@aol.com
Subject: BMW'S or Yugo's?

For a while now i have been pondering what kind of cars the boys drive.
They could probably afford BMW's or Mercedes but i could never see them
in that kind of vehicle.But they have had too much success(thanks to brick)too
be driving around '74 brown chevy nova's.I could see ben in a pickup and i
dont no bout rob or darren.If anyone has the answer to the kinds of cars that
they drive please mail me it will put less stupid thoughts in my head

mick

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:58:18 EDT
From: Natasha155@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1176

hey
I'm yet another who is looking for BFF posters and has desperately looked
everywhere- and hasn't found a thing -   SO, this is another plea to anyone
who can tell me where to get posters (btw, I'm in the syracuse ny area..)  or
how to get them, etc.
thanks so much.. and sorry for another post begging for posters - but.. damnit
i want my posters!!!  haha

*natasha*
"you may be right.. i may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're
looking for"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:11:27 EDT
From: LIBJAD43@aol.com
Subject: Posters once again

<<<anyone who knows where to get posters who could get one for me if i send
you the money? (this is *not* illegal, itis just like me going down the
store to buy something for a friend, so donit flame me for it) Iim
totally desperate.>>>

Hey, any of you who respond to her, resond to me too, I definitly need a BFF
poster soon. I posted about this earlier, but just a little ol' reminder.
THANKS A TON TO ANYONE WHO HAPPENS TO FIND ONE FOR ME! I looked everywhere in
my town and outside of it, and still no luck. Please. Thankyou. That's all.
- -Libbie

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:26:41 EDT
From: Crissy995@aol.com
Subject: Tom and Mary and Lady Madonna

I agree with Sean that Tom and Mary has echos of Lady Madonna in certain parts
of the song... that was something I thought myself when I happened to hear the
2 songs during the same couple of days. They both seem to have similar pop-
musicish qualities to them, especially in the opening lyrics when the vocal
parts are jumping around from note to note in this really bouncy, sing-song
way. And even though lyric-wise they are not the happiest songs around, the
music itself is really upbeat... just my two cents, back to lurking I go...

Christine, who does the best imitation of herself

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:38:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: FANatic, the final word??

I have been informed by BFF management that MTV has told them the
Ben Folds Five episode of FANatic, done by our own Armchairite Daniel
Davis, will be broadcast over MTV on Wednesday, August 19 at 11:00 PM.

Dan tells me he mentioned the Armchair several times in the interview, so
watch to see if any of them made it thru editing.

 -fjm
                       So think about your masterpiece

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 01:50:33, -0500
From: TuxedoKamen1@prodigy.com (MR MAMORU E CHIBA)
Subject: AZ loves the boys

   Hello to all you folks out there in cyber-space. Long time no post.
 I just got back from visiting relatives/vacation out in Arizona and
found a few things interesting items... The Australian Brick Single,
and an Austrian Kate single (I also found the Weezer el Scorcho
single). To make things short, it would appear that (for the little
amount of searching I did) the East Valley of Arizona has a notable
quantity of BFF Stuff (compared to the amount of stuff I've been able
to find  out here in Chicago). Also, my Aunt was telling me something
about them playing there this fall...does anyone know if this is a
fest or if there back out on tour again or whatever? Well, that's
alls I gots ta say...

    Ian

____
nineteen nighty eight looked great on plain white paper on the
fifteith plane to champagne but to tell you the truth if i had a
chance to kill it i'd pick up and take it and shake and kiss it to
death there's something inside like a conscience  that says 'your
painting floors while your pals are off renaming the stars get up get
up and go do what you started if you want to be a martyr try harder'"
- -Braid "New Nathan Detroits

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 02:26:30 -0400
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: this is NOT a bff site...

Hey , some more people mailed me about getting the MAD-bff spoof.

EVEN after i posted about it now being online.

and then my mailbox got corrupted...

So some people, i started sending it to again....

which is silly.

So, if you still want the MAD-bff spoof, please go here:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6814/notben.html

and thanks to Leigh, you get it in supa-fast action.

Jess

        I'm not just naked, I'm Naked for Jesus!!!
        *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 03:15:41 EDT
From: BenFoldss5@aol.com
Subject: Why California sucks

Hi there armchairers!

I am having a serious problem with CA right now, or maybe just stupid old
boring Palo Alto.  There are no bff singles for sale here, no posters, no
nothing!  You can get the 3 cds and that's it.  I've ordered some singles and
stuff, that's no problem (except for the price tag), but why aren't there any
posters?  Maybe you have to spend hours in underground record shops in San
Francisco to find this stuff, but I sure can't.  If anyone has any posters or
knows where to get them, I'll give my undying affection (or trade from my
measly collection). :)

And another thing... I'm with everyone about the song book.  The official
website has us dangling by the piano with false promises of "temporarily out
of stock" for the s/t and "coming soon" for WAEA.  How hard is it to find
someone to write these songs down?  Anyway, I'm not really mad about this,
just... frustrated.  Sorry to get all huffy.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:29:48 PDT
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: bad idea, sftd, steven's

Is Bad Idea in ^Ñthe truth about cats and dogs^Ò? like actually played
during the movie? ^ÑI don^Òt wanna^Ò see the movie unless it^Òs in it.

SFTD: when the hell is it being released (in australia)?? It was
rumoured to be 12th or 14th August, it^Òs the 18th today. So when is it?
Anyone know?

Where did ^ÑSteven^Òs^Ò actually take place? I^Òve read two interviews, one
said Nashville, one said North Carolina. Anyone know?

Crystal

http://www.members.xoom.com/crystal_bf5/ -- 3 desktop pictures!!

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:01:34 +0930
From: helen <helen@merlin.net.au>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1175

*ching* Hiya people
thought id but in with my underrated australian two cents werth!
Lauren wrote excitedly:
>     Wait!  you saw SFTD the video?  As in music video?  I have never
>seen it in my life!  You are so lucky!
	I was up at some insane hour of the morning to see bf5 dress funny on
Recovery in australia (nice pink jacket ben) and had the honourof actually
seeing the first showing of SFTD in australia. Needless to say i wet myself
laughing. Go barbie. Go those funky japanese bits.
des wrote in with the news:
>Was reading the Sunday paper and it says WAEA is in the top 10 at number 8,
>according to the ARIA charts!!!! This is in OZ!
I have some interesting trivial bf5 facts well ok i lie i have one. Bf5 had
their first number 1 in adelaide. have i said this already? Somewhere
sometime ago. Well at least it wasnt from the mag that got the names of the
band wrong. Otherwise i wouldnt believe it.

lexie
~you make me feel retarded~

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:18:42 +0930
From: helen <helen@merlin.net.au>

>Subject: For Those of Ya'll who wear fanny packs
>In the song mentioned above, since I dont' want to type that again, it
>sounds like it's darren doing the main vocals at the beginning.  Who does
>the low voices?  And if any of you care to actually go to the trouble, who
>does the other vocals?
Oh dear, after listening to this about ten zillion times i know the answer.
darren as you said does the start he also does most of the main vocals.
Robert does the low oh goddamm and ben does some really weird stuph.
>any aussies have the underground, kate, OAD, uncle walter clips (was
>there a BOWCCL clip, I can^Òt remember)?? Or the potty mouth video? I^Òll
>trade for those too (or I^Òll just send a blank tape and pay all the
I have underground and uncle walter somwhere same with BOWCCL. I'd have to
search.

>I was thinking, I wonder what would happen if i wrote to Sony and asked
>them for information on BF5? Maybe they^Òd just give me the address like
>in the CD covers. What happens if you write there? I haven^Òt got around
>to it yet.
Try emailing them. I emailed shock records and they give me free stuph now.
SO you have inspired me now to email Sony and tell them what a great job
they are doing. Everyone should do this. People at record companies like to
be thanked too!!!
>The other day, I got home from uni after a 9am start, completely
>exhausted and flicked on the television (Channel V, Foxtel) and the
>request show was just starting, I wasn't really paying attention until I
>noticed that the background music was BFF, in particular Underground. I
>was naturally quite intrigued, and kept watching. To make a long story
>short (kind of!) between clips, they played just about every song from
>WAEA as background music and also the clip for Brick. I was impressed to
>say the very least!
did you tape it? This is what the werld wises to know. And why wasn't i
watching why do i miss all teh cools tuph. They better repeat it.

Hmm posts about nothing. My life is so meaningful

lex
~but hes not!~

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:07:41 EDT
From: Mr1Intl@aol.com
Subject: About superficial people, CD's, posters

Hi everyone!  This is my first post on the armchair, so please bear with me.
Anyway, I just checked my mail and read this and was really disturbed:

>Anyways, i would like to comment on Ben's appearance.......why? he's got
> this unkempt hair, seemingly unshaven, plain old white T-shirt look goin.
i'm
>not really likin' it. i know people have commented on this b4 but i dunno if
>it was worse then or now but i just....blah. don't get me wrong, i still love
> ben! i mean with those piano skills and that adorable voice, who wouldn't
but
> i dunno, the look just doesn't go. but i would like to say that Robert and
>Darren are looking as adorable as ever!  >>

What is this all about? I didn't start loving Ben Folds Five because of their
looks or clothes and that really wouldn't affect my opinion of them anyway. I
thought that people are ideally judged not on their appearance, but on their
personality, and in BF5's case, their music ability. I have played piano for 7
years, and I know how much effort and time Ben has put into playing the way he
does, and it really pisses me off to see someone putting him down or whatever
because of the clothes he choses to wear. And think of this -- if all bands
were put together based on their looks and fashion sense, we would have
another Spice Girls. Ouch. Anyway, in my opinion, Ben and Darren and Robert
are pretty cute, no matter what they wear.

Also, if anyone knows where I could find Ben Folds Five posters or old singles
in Kansas City, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE e-mail me. I have looked all over and
have not found any.

Alwayz,  Caroline     ----------->   mr1intl@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:46:34 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: hey nuts.

I don't have everyone's addy who has a Ben Folds Five Webring Site, so I
am posting to a place I think everyone will read this. To those just browsing,
just keep on keepin' on....

STOP. That's right, just quit. Quit with the banter about accepting sites or
whatever. Here's the BOTTOM line on websites. If someone visits a site,
they form an opinion about the site and site owner, NOT the band.
Obviously, if you make a crappy site, you will not get visited. Let's just let it
go. Anyone who wants on the webring, let them in. WHO really cares? I
mean, I only do it for enjoyment and it isn't my life. Fans will bookmark sites
that are appealing to them. They will scan over sites that suck. I am getting
E-mails now which reflect HEAVY sarcasm and downright rude behavior. I
get that from the assholes I work with, I don't need anymore.

I think, and I AM pushing my opinion on y'all, that the ring should just be an
open affair. Nothing good or bad will come from the ring anyway. It is just a
Webring, not a way of life. E-n-t-e-r-t-a-i-n-m-e-n-t. Let's just stick to that. It
seems there are too many chiefs and no indians. (and don't come at me
with some racist flame)

Personally, I can't stand people who rip of other sites to make their own, or
who just put up crap for the sake of having a site. If you are going to do
something right, do it right the first time. But, this is a personal issue that
each and everyone of those rip-off artists/non-HTML knowing people need
to work out on their own.

If the ring was meant to be non-exclusive, then why do we get
approval/disapproval emails for each new site?

Back you your regularly scheduled Ben Folds Five Content.

Father Lyons.

*where's that kewl, kick ass fan club?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:54:51 PDT
From: "emily burningham" <em_pet@hotmail.com>
Subject: [none]

hey there

>>the real reason for this post is to let you all know about the big
event on
my web page that happens August 28th... im having a 'celebrity chat'
with
chuck folds... this all happens at midnite (early August 29th), i hope
see everyone there!  id like to hear from you if youre going, check my
page
for further detail

so what about the rest of the world. eh??
didn;t think of that did you..? :)
no really, what the hell time does that make it in the uk...sorry i'm
far too lazy to work it out for myself.....
soory, this wasn't meant to be offensive......:)
see y'all
love
em