Issue #1187 - August 27, 1998

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, August 27 1998   Volume 01 : Number 1187

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

WELCOME BACK STUDENTS
If you are returning to your school e-mail account and were subscribed
under a different address for the summer (e.g. a home account), remember to
unsubscribe it if you no longer wish to receive the Armchair there. Also
be sure to unsubscribe last year's school address if it's changed for
this year. E-mail me (owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl) if you have
any questions.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Geoff Harvey
    BUMPER STICKERS
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1186
    gangsta bff?
    To all those in Florida, a question
    CHAT WITH BEN FOLDSs brother
    Word.
    Patches the ska kate lane.
    BFF: MUCHMUSIC SPOTLIGHT
    Re:gangstas
    BFF on Sabrina soundtrack
    Details on the next BFF album?
    chris or anna c.
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1186
    phoenix double cd

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:25:27 -0700
From: duggoodman@ibm.net
Subject: Geoff Harvey

Just in case anybody cares - Ben and Geoff did meet for a drink at the
band's hotel in Sydney. He didn't come to the show that night because of
the birth of his grand-daughter.

Doug

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:57:22 EDT
From: LIBJAD43@aol.com
Subject: BUMPER STICKERS

I've been posting a lot lately, but it seems that NY has had a shortage of BFF
perafinalia (pitifully spelled)  .  .   .  . This time, I'm looking for BFF
bumper stickers. I'm about to take a road trip and I need some car
accessories! IF ANYONE AT ALL COULD POSSIBLY HELP ME OUT, I WOULD BE   MUCH
ABLIGED! THANKYOU SO SO SO MUCH!
(and sorry that i have spelling problems today)
~LIBBIE~

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:41:22 PDT
From: "Dustin O." <doneil41@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1186

>I knew Ben could play drums, bass, and piano, but I never though that
>Robert could play piano!

Ben can play a little guitar too if I remember he played the guitar part
on the NBP Emaline.

Take it easy, have fun, and be safe all you gangstas,
I gotsa go pap some caps in innocent people during drivebys,
Dustin

0--------------------------------------------------------------------0
Dustin O'Neil
doneil@rocketmail.com, doneil41@hotmail.com
ICQ: 902355 (6 digits :)
AOLIM: ITRDustin
                          D's Hog Farm!!!
          http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lights/5077
                       http://i.am/hog.farm
0--------------------------------------------------------------------0
"You can't say homo on tv, you'll get bi-gala after you" -- Kory
"Bring on the lesbians, I'll take them two at a time!" -- Ty

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:08:30 PDT
From: "Ashley Hill" <hc_mercury@hotmail.com>
Subject: gangsta bff?

hey hey all--

call me crazy, but i dont get the whole gangsta bff thingie...  the guy
never said bff was rap or anything.  he just wanted to know why there is
such a stereotype against rap/gangsta stuff when other bands have lyrics
that are just as bad if not worse...  thats my view of the whole thing
anyways...

peace out
hcmercury

"optimists see the glass as half full, pesimists see the glass as half
empty, i dont even see the fucking thing"

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:19:17 +1000
From: akir2@student.monash.edu.au
Subject: To all those in Florida, a question

My parents are visiting my sister in a couple of weeks, and she lives
in Ocala, Florida, and they'll be visiting Miami, staying in Kendall
I think.  Does anyone live near there, and if so, are there any sheet
music shops around they could visit?  Please email me privatly.
Thanks heaps for that.
Also I was thinking, we should start another little
thingy, and people could email in and say what their fave Bff song is
and why.  Just a thought.
Mine is Best Imitation, I don't quite know why, but it always cheers
me up whenever I see it, and One Angry Dwarf, I just love the piano
in it, the whole song really. Not really good explanations, but it'll
do to start i guess.
Anne
I got the gestures sounds
got the timing down
it's uncanny yeah you'd think it was me.
- - Best imitation of myself   Ben Folds Five

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:33:51 -0400
From: vito <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: CHAT WITH BEN FOLDSs brother

i hope you all are planning on chatting with chuck folds this friday night

when:  august 28th at midnite (early morning august 29th)
where: the chat room on my page

please respond if you are coming

whatever and ever
vito

BBB  EEEE N   N     FFFF  OO  L    DD    SS      FFFF I V     V EEEE
B  B E    NN  N     F    O  O L    D D  S        F    I V     V E
BBB  EEE  N N N     FFF  O  O L    D D   S       FFF  I  V   V  EEE
B  B E    N  NN     F    O  O L    D D    S      F    I   V V   E
BBB  EEEE N   N     F   goATman1@geOCitiES.com   F    I    V    EEEE
- ----- http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html -----

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 01:12:08 EDT
From: Emmaline20@aol.com
Subject: Word.

Yo...'zentin the east coast. Does this mean we will battle between ourselves
know? For all of you in Hampshire County...or near to a place that carries
VMag (a little zine for the valley....Northhampton/Springfield area in
Massachusetts) my sources tell me that Mr. Folds has some sort of interview
printed in it. I have yet to see it, I will be getting a copy tomorrow, and on
Friday I have the opportunity to pick up a few, which I will do cuz I collect
the magazine. So I shall get back with whatever good tidbits I pick up and if
anyone feels they need a copy, let me know. Umm....just don't think I can
steal hundreds of these, the people might notice :)

Sarah ;)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:24:12 PDT
From: "wildling ." <wildling@hotmail.com>
Subject: Patches the ska kate lane.

>Sorry to bother you all, but does anyone know where I would be able
>to find bf5 patches?  I don't even know if they make them but I would
>love one for my backpack.  Please e-mail me if you know where I can
>buy one or have one you would be willing to trade.  Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing, but didn't think they existed.  I even
went so far as to pull out the handy-dandy embroidery machine someone
gave me eons ago and made myself one. (it's a little crude, but hey, I'm
damn proud of it!)

And for more genuine bentent - just as I was beginning to suspect that
southern Ontario was completely devoid of all things ben foldian, I ran
across the Australian "Brick" single.  SKA KATE KICKS ASS!!

And btw^Ö where did Kurt hear Darren sing Mitchell Lane?

~gangsta jojo
(sporting a lovely maroon t-shirt and flashing the "Whatever" sign:
"Kiss my ass, you anti-Five punks!")

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:35:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: echap@netcom.ca
Subject: BFF: MUCHMUSIC SPOTLIGHT

	OK, for those of you that don't know, there is a music video station originating from Toronto, and broadcasting around the world called MuchMusic. Anyways, MuchMusic has a daily special called 'Spotlight', in which they devote 30 minutes to an artist, and play 5-odd music videos, with interview and live clips spliced in. Well, as far as I can remember, our boys have not appeared on Spotlight, yet they have done interviews, and played live on Muchmusic. So, that leads me to thinking that us BFFans can get Soptlight to feature the boys. 'So, how does this benefit me?' you ask? Well, us fans who can will tape the show, and we can mail copies to fans across the world who have still not seen the video for Uncle Walter (among others...yes, it DOES exist).
	So, here's the deal. Please, everyone just take a minute out of your day to just write a Muchmusic a simple Email. Here is the info.

Email address:  spot@muchmusic.com
Subject: Ben Folds Five Spotlight (or something to that effect)

It will be more effective is you send short letters often that one really big letter, but feel free to do both. Also, if you have nothing better to do with your life, make a picture website, as those make up many of the request on their All-Request shows. I figure that if each member of the Armchair sends one Email per day, they'll want to shut us up and they bow to our demands (wishful thinking is beautiful).

	So, to sum up, PLEASE Email MuchMusic once a day asking them to air a BFF spotlight. Every Email counts. Start writing today: Aug. 26th. Thanks for your help,
Robbie C.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:24:40 -0500
From: jonsuperdeath@juno.com (Greg A Moore)
Subject: Re:gangstas

>  We are all now gangster g vatos claiming BFF, so now we have to go
>out and
>tag all the stores that sell BFF related goods.  And we have to pull
>out our
>nines and bust some caps whenever someone disses BFF.  And we can go
>and get
>hoopties and blast BFF with the bass really really loud, loud enough
>to set
>off security alarms in buildings.  Then BFF concerts will start to
>become big
>riots as people from the Tori Amos and Barenaked Ladies gang come
>there to
>start shit with us.  So everyone remember that we are all going to go
>perpetrate crimes onto other people because some guy said that BFF is
>gangsta.
>Damn I feel smart.
>
>Sincerely,
>The gangster g vato playing the air piano, Tyler

Word, dogg!  Sheeeit, ain't nobody want to be frontin 'cause I'll
straight whip out my gat and bust a cap in Tori Amos' ass.
You're the greatest
Greg
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:49:09 EDT
From: Shindog007@aol.com
Subject: BFF on Sabrina soundtrack

This article was in the latest ZEN newsletter:

GEFFEN Records releases a soundtrack to the ABC series SABRINA, THE TEENAGE
WITCH on October 27th, collecting songs new and old from the likes of
THE BACKSTREET BOYS, SPICE GIRLS, 'N SYNC, SUGAR RAY, ROBYN, AQUA,
CHUMBAWAMBA, THE CARDIGANS, BEN FOLDS FIVE, and THE MURMURS, and even series
star Melissa Joan Hart's performance of her favorite song, BLONDIE's "One Way
or Another," which she performed during a "battle-of-the-bands" episode.
http://www.geffen.com

Shindog

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:51:15 EDT
From: Shindog007@aol.com
Subject: Details on the next BFF album?

As a new fan, I would like to know about the next BFF album.  Does anybody
know any details?  Is it true it will be a double album?

Thanks!

Shindog

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:42:00 EDT
From: SyN3RG3@aol.com
Subject: chris or anna c.

chris or anna  from new hope, pa!
please email me! soon! i'm not sure why you're sending me money, but i'm sure
its something important. sorry, i don't have access to my email files from
home, so i'm not sure exactly what's going on.

bentent: my mother told everyone that she was ben folds' mom at the beale
street music festival. everyone believed her! there were people like crowding
up to meet her. she told everyone "it sure is hard keeping those boys in line"
.. what a role model i have .. someone also keeps calling my house and playing
BFF on the phone, then hanging up. hm. at least they have good taste.

late for class -
celine
http://members.aol.com/Syn3RG3/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:25:12 EDT
From: Sneeze58@aol.com

I wanted to know if anyone had any BFF unreleased or live stuff (on CD or CD-
r)that they wanted to trade or sell.

                                     Thanks,
                                             Keith

       "I do the best imitation of myself..."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:13:40 -0400
From: bf5 <bf5@SURRY.NET>
Subject: phoenix double cd

<<BEN FOLDS FIVE	Arrive Alive (2CDs 2-9-98 Phoenix) 45.00>>

I read this in the UDMO list...but they changed the name.  They are now
known as BAL.  ANYWAY...this list is really good if you're looking for
something that is hard to find.  The address is:  owen@gtminet.net.  Just
send them an e-mail requesting to join the list.

if ya  got more questions send 'em to me,

\ \/ /
~\/\/hitney  =o)

*i wanna be kate*