Issue #1385 - February 2, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, February 2 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1385

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    conan & ben (folds five)
    Fear of the Bitch Song
    Burt Bacharat
    Bad Stuff

Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:18:09 EST
From: BenF0lds05@aol.com
Subject: conan & ben (folds five)

just some tidbits, here:

conan has been extremely good to ben folds five over the years - and doesn't
fit any of the descriptions that heather gave the show. and by the way, if it
was the first time shes ever seen conan and she didn't like it, she must be
going to bed at like 8:30 and (obviously) has no appreciation for fine
television. then again, you don't have to like the show, just show it some
respect for being so good to ben folds five.

1) ben folds five made their NATIONAL TELEVISION DEBUT on conan o'brien. no
matter who the band is, this is an incredible thing - to which we should pay
much gratitude to conan for. (it was battle of who could care less.)

2) they were invited back after whatever and ever amen went platinum, and they
performed song for the dumped. to be so generous as to give ben folds five
more exposure (on the same album!) was wonderful of the show.

3) in their 'modern rock live' interview last year, when asked what their
favorite show to play was, they said the bacharach special and conan. ben said
it was a fun and fairly comfortable show to play -- THEREFORE the band itself
has expressed how much it likes the show.

4) (of course): the only fear of pop performance ever was (coincidentally?) on
conan. maybe its true that no other show would probably ask them to do it, but
here comes ben folds five's guardian angel, conan, to the rescue.

if anything, we should be thanking the show -- not bashing it.

(out of curiousity, has anyone on the list been introduced to ben folds five
through seeing them on conan?) & (did they play brick on conan? cause i don't
recall it.)

thank you 'late night with conan o'brien',

                          ---dAn---

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:17:24 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1377

sorry a little non-bentent here

jess is right about conan!! he's awesome
and heather is just downright tasteless to say those evil things

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:23:28 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com

does anyone have copies of bf5 videos...as in all of them
i would be very interested in a copy
thanks

ben

conan is my friend!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:32:21 EST
From: Emaline555@aol.com
Subject: Fear of the Bitch Song

Hey all,

In my AP U.S. History class today, we were talking about immigration in the
1920s. "What does Ben Folds Five have to do with immigration in the 20s?" you
ask.  Well, nothing.  But I found a little FOP reference.  When i was taking
notes on the results of the 3 strands of American attitude that caused new
immigration restriction laws, one of the results was that a few Americans
developed an anti-Catholicism attitude.  My teacher went on to say "Some
Americans feared that the Pope would become a prominent ruler if bla bla
bla..." So next to "anti-Catholicism" i wrote "Fear of Pope."  Well, i laughed
out loud and broke the silence. Everyone looked at me and i was like "Haha,
Fear of Pope. Nevermind then.." and it was one of my more awkward and humorous
moments.

I made an mp3 of an impromptu BFF song from the Hammerstein show in NYC on
2/20/98 called "The Bitch Song."  It's a pretty funny.  :) Ben and Robert have
some respectable solos in it. (DISCLAIMER: there's a few dirty words in this
one, but we all think Fanny Packs is funny, right?) I am willing to share it
with everyone, but rather than having to send it out individually, i'm going
to try and get someone to put it on their webpage for you to download.  I
guess it's kind of like a "BFF fix" for those of you who have not heard a
recording of this wonderful show. Just trying to help tide you over while
waiting for the new album. Everyone likes unreleased BFF stuff (including me,
of course).  :)

"I ain't got no reason to think she's a bitch....just sounds good to say!"
Emily

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:16:42 EST
From: Swimnphish@aol.com
Subject: Burt Bacharat

I know it seams a little late to celebrate christmas but beleive it or not I
did last weekend with my mothers side of the family. My Aunt is always the one
to give out weird present but this year they werent too bad. My sister got
alot how products from bath and body works, I got a ton of Jelly bellys. My
Dad got a CD of radio soul. But my Moms was the most interesting one. It was a
But Bachrat CD. Although most of you say, "wait a second But Bachrat is dead!"
But it was a CD of different bands who redid his songs at a concert. So I'm
looking at the playlist and low and Behold Ben Folds Five is featured on it.
And there song isnt too bad. Other artists such as Sherryl Crow, Barenaked
ladies, And other popular peeps are featured on it. So do yourself a favor and
Buy the Burt Bachrat CD. It's titled "One Amazing Night" I beleive that the CD
fits the title. Thankyou for your time
Brad

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 15:20:59 -0800
From: Doron Richartz <bugg002@ibm.net>
Subject: Bad Stuff

Hi everybody, it's rare when I post, but something has been really
bothering me. I've noticed that a lot of you so called "Ben Folds Five
fans" are buying bootleg CD and CD-Rs (like 'the beginnings'). I was just
wondering how can call yourselves fans if you are so happy to rip the band
off in such a manner? (i.e. paying people who don't actually make the music
or own the copyright.) Many of you know that I have 100+ live Ben Folds
Five tapes and not once have I charged someone money for a tape or CD-R or
paid anyone money for a tape, CD, or CD-R. So, this post is essentially a
plea to everyone on the list to stop exploiting the band. I hope you will
join my cause.

Thanks for reading,
Doron