Issue #1386 - February 3, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest  Wednesday, February 3 1999  Volume 01 : Number 1386

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Bad Words
    Burt Bacarach(sorry)
    MP3's
    But Bachrat
    Bad Stuff??
    re: bad stuff
    Re: But Bachrat
    CDs I found...
    Burt Bacharach
    SLNIT
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1385
    Conan TV Debut... NOT BOWCCL.
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #138
    Ack-sorry..shirts
    Re: conan & ben (folds five)
    RE: Bad stuff??
    BFF's webpage

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:17:43 -0500
From: Ben Bradshaw <benshaw@mindspring.com>
Subject: Bad Words

	A few months ago, I guess, I lent one of my friends WAEA.  When he took it
home, his sister, one of those insanely PC kind of people, refused to have
it played in their house loud enough for her to hear it since he cussed so
much.  I never really realized it until he reported this to me, but Mr.
Folds does cuss a fairly good amount, at least compared to some other
bands.  I don't mind this at all, since it's a more realistic reflection on
life.  Oh well, I only bring this up because of that post about The Bitch Song.

			Ben

"I was out by myself in the graveyard.  I was doing an interpretive
dance."-TMBG

Take A Gander, part 2 http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5364

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:58:55 EST
From: Swimnphish@aol.com
Subject: Burt Bacarach(sorry)

Ok I'm stupid everyone kill me. I dont know anyhting. Burt Bacarach is alive.
For some reason I thought he was dead. I guess it was because so people did a
tribute to him. Also I hadnt read the armchair in a while so i didnt know that
the subject was already discused. THanks to someone who corrected me I hope I
got this straitened out. SOrry for my stupidness. I dont even know how to
spell his now for gosh sake. Sorry about that G.
Brad

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 19:50:30 PST
From: "Mike Keehn" <mikeqf@hotmail.com>
Subject: MP3's

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post and let everyone know that I've got a
few MP3's up on my webpage at:
http://members.aol.com/Mikekqf/queen.html

Just click on the (you guessed it) MP3 button on the toolbar at the left
and they're right there. Right now I have Half Asleep, Boxing (demo),
and Chopsticks.

Mike

PS. Hey, I'm sitting here, my roomate put in a Weird Al tape,(don't ask)
and I was just thinking it would really be cool if the guys did a cover
of his song "Slime Creatures from Outer Space". Anyone else think so?
Anyone else heard the song? No? Didn't think so. I'll stop now.

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:46:48 EST
From: YourPalCM@aol.com
Subject: But Bachrat

In a message dated 2/1/99 9:48:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, Brad writes:

<< Although most of you say, "wait a second But Bachrat is dead!"
 But it was a CD of different bands who redid his songs at a concert. >>

A couple things:

(1) His name is Burt Bacharach, not But Bachrat...although I bet the kids in
school called him But Bachrat just to be funny.  Hehehe.

(2) He is far from dead.  Bacharach actually was on stage and playing the
piano on most of the songs on the CD.  If you get the video of that concert
you will can see for yourself.  In fact, Bacharach actually did a CD with
Elvis Costello last year.

(3) Yes, "One Amazing Night" is very good.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 23:18:44 EST
From: PookieB453@aol.com
Subject: Bad Stuff??

I might as well start off warning about a lack of bentent...It's just me
rambling =)

	I, like so many others here, am basically a lurker...I've been on for about
two years now (I think...) and rarely post.  I've sat through all the rantings
and ravings about MIME stuff, forwards, tshirts, 'teenyboppers,' and all those
other good things... Surprisingly, I've kept my mouth shut.  But this is one
thing that struck a nerve-  A Ben Folds Five fan questioning the caliber of
fans because they've *gasp* bought a bootleg.
	 I thought it went without saying that not everybody has the resources that
this person apparently has.  I personally have  10 BF5 bootlegs, none of which
were bought.  But who are we to question each other?  I'm no better than
anyone else for *any* reason, and I'm certainly no more of a fan than someone
else merely because I didn't *buy* a bootleg, or I was a fan before Brick was
released, or don't make mistakes like copying the previous list...  Who really
cares anyway?  The only reason for posting things like that is some primal
need to feel more important than someone else.  Well guess what?  I'm not sure
who else might care if you bought or didn't buy bootlegs-- I know I don't.
But to question someone else's appreciation for a band because they like the
music enough to buy it is absurd.  If you want to call yourself a better
person for not having bought any CD-Rs, then go ahead.  Just know that you may
be alone in your thoughts.
	As far as stopping 'exploiting the band,'  I agree with you 100%.  But the
problem is not the people who buy the CD-Rs, it's the people who sell them.
So if I were you, I'd question those who are selling, *not* those who are
buying.
  Thanks for the time,
      jason

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 20:46:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Hayes Permar <hpermar@yahoo.com>
Subject: re: bad stuff

you're right, I'm crazy.  why would i want to get my hands on
unreleased music of a band that I like?  besides, there have to be
people who heard bootlegs and then bought the albums, meaning money
for the band.  as for me i'd love to buy CD's that people have if
they'd e-mail me and tell me how.
                                     Hayes

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 21:30:10 PST
From: "L. L. Cool Yule" <llcoolyule@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: But Bachrat

The following bit from issue 1385 is good for a re-read:

>Dad got a CD of radio soul. But my Moms was the most interesting one.
It was a
But Bachrat CD. Although most of you say, "wait a second But Bachrat is
dead!"
But it was a CD of different bands who redid his songs at a concert. So
I'm
...<snip>...
ladies, And other popular peeps are featured on it. So do yourself a
favor and
Buy the Burt Bachrat CD. It's titled "One Amazing Night" I beleive that
the CD
fits the title. Thankyou for your time
Brad<

Thank you for that day-brightener, Brad.

...Howard, now Ike & Fez, "I'm Scared", and lone LeAnn Tyre...

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 00:19:18 -0600
From: Brian <S221460@acad.nwmissouri.edu>
Subject: CDs I found...

While looking through some "imports" at a cd store I ran across a couple of
BFF I'd never heard of before.  One is called "Arrive Alive" and is a live
performance from Club Rio.  The other is a bunch of the demo tracks that has
an interview from a couple years back on Modern Rock Live at the end of it.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me any background on it.  E-mail
me privately if you can.
Thanks,
Brian

Choose your future.  Choose life.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 02:17:25 -0500
From: Ronald Ring <ronbring@iaw.on.ca>
Subject: Burt Bacharach

Brad wrote this,

<Although most of you say, "wait a second But Bachrat is dead!">

Actually...Burt Bacharach is NOT dead (at least not to me belief)  He was
there for the recording of that CD.  OK..that's it:)

Keep it real,
Alex

								There's no breath,
								There's no ventilation.
								Cause there's too much traffic,
								Telepathic traffic.
											-Archers of Loaf

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 03:08:32 PST
From: "Ben Folds" <tom_mary55@hotmail.com>
Subject: SLNIT

Hey Y'all

Is it just me - or am I the only one who turns down their CD and races
to the phone when listening to Steven's Last Night???

Does anyone know who was on the phone when they recorded that particular
take???

Thanks a bundle

Arthur

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:46:30 -0600
From: "Will Flores" <willly@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1385

<<Hi everybody, it's rare when I post, but something has been really
bothering me. I've noticed that a lot of you so called "Ben Folds Five
fans" are buying bootleg CD and CD-Rs (like 'the beginnings'). I was just
wondering how can call yourselves fans if you are so happy to rip the band
off in such a manner? (i.e. paying people who don't actually make the music
or own the copyright.)>>

Ok, I really don't think that the beginnings falls under the category of
ripping of the band.  First, it is only being sold for ten dollars.  This
covers 2 CDRs, the jewel case, the printing, and even the shipping.  Hardly
ripping off the band.  Now, if it was being sold for $50 like the bootlegs
that are being sold at ebay, then you would have a case about them ripping
off the band.  You are only "exploiting" BFF if you are making a profit.
Second, the only people that would even consider buying "The Beginnings"
would be a hard core fan that already have all of the other BFF CDs.  This
is significant because it means that buying the CD will not take the place
of going out and buying a legally made BFF CD.  Hmm, ya.....

Will (who's at home sick with the flu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:11:10 -0600
From: Dan Mauer <dmauer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Conan TV Debut... NOT BOWCCL.

> From: BenF0lds05@aol.com
> Subject: conan & ben (folds five)
> 1) ben folds five made their NATIONAL TELEVISION DEBUT on conan o'brien. no
> matter who the band is, this is an incredible thing - to which we should pay
> much gratitude to conan for. (it was battle of who could care less.)

Indeed, they did make their national TV debut on Conan... but you're
wrong about the song.  They played Underground on Conan way back in the
day.

- -dan

- --
  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._            _.,-*~'`^'`~*-,_  dmauer@earthlink.net
                  `~-,_     '`        _.,     `~-,_               _
    Daniel P. Mauer     `'~*-,._.,-*~'`             `'~*-,._.,-*~'`
 Some people see the glass as half empty.  Others see it as half full.
 I see the glass as too big.                          -- George Carlin
     Naked Harmony Homepage: http://home.earthlink.net/~dmauer/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 13:31:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charlene Charlie McGee <lawtll00@snyoneva.cc.oneonta.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #138

Okay, I don't usually post anything, but I just read Brad's entry about
Christmas and his mother's Burt Bacharach CD.  By the way, Burt Bacharach
is amazingly talented, along with his newest collaborator, Elvis Costello.
They have a new CD out together, it's great, you should all get it.  Which
brings me to the fact that Brad acted like Burt Bacharach was dead.
People aren't saying that he's dead, because he is NOT dead.  He's alive
and kicking, and making TV appearances with Elvis Costello all the time.

And about the bootleg CDs ripping off the band, yes, some cases, it is
ripping off the band, but Ben Folds Five allows people to record their
concerts, as long as the venus does.  Even if they venue doesn't, people
are still doing it, but who cares?  The band allows it.  Besides, trying
to get bootlegs because you like the band isn't really a bad thing.  You
can never stop bootlegs, because you have no idea who's doing it, where
they're doing it, and there are WAY too many people taking part in it.
So, bootlegs aren't ripping off Ben Folds Five because they allow it.

"Charlene"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:13:59 EST
From: Astro111@aol.com
Subject: Ack-sorry..shirts

Hey there all-
First off, Conan does rock, and he has for a while :) (You guys should join
the Conan O'brien newsletter, e-mail me privately if you wanna know how.) And
it's cool to know that Conan is so good to the boys.
Also, I have just skimmed the last few armchairs, but I haven't heard anything
further on the shirts. I was just wondering if a decision was made or not, or
if somehow the subject was dropped? If you could let me know, I'd appreciate
it :) Thanks all!
- -RobinA

------------------------------

Date: 2 Feb 99 17:16:54 EST
From: Rey Anthony <reyanthony@usa.net>
Subject: Re: conan & ben (folds five)

BenF0lds05@aol.com wrote:

> (out of curiousity, has anyone on the list been introduced to ben folds five

>  through seeing them on conan?)

Yep!  When they performed Battle on Conan, I was hooked.  I was lucky enough
to attend the Conan "Dumped" performance and the Fear of Pop one just
recently.  I have alot to thank Conan for.

> (did they play brick on conan? cause i don't recall it.)

Not to my knowledge.

Rey

http://www.rey.anthony.net

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:42:50 PST
From: "Ashley Hill" <hc_mercury@hotmail.com>

just thought adam duritz had a good point about stuff like bootlegs and
whatever else you consider "bad stuff":

"After all, there are a ton of bootlegs of us, but I think they're
great. I think they're cool. I love going to concerts, but, hey, you
can't really take them home with you. Bands don't always put out live
albums, and a live album isn't always as good as a certain concert. So
it's a chance to keep more of the band you like. I don't think they
compete with your records. If a kid spends all that money to buy an
import of a concert that may not sound good, they'll buy all your
records."

Ashley

"maybe life is like a ride on a freeway
dodging bullets while youre trying to find your way
everyones around, but no one does a damn thing"
- ---offspring

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:35:31 EST
From: ArkadeKid@aol.com
Subject: BFF's webpage

Ben fold's five has a site...figment of reality (
<A HREF="http://metaclick.go2net.com/bin/ct.api/I=3772527search4_8_19/R=4-41/Q
=ben%20folds%20five?http://www.underworld.net/bff/">Ben Folds Five: A Figment
of Reality
</A>or
http://metaclick.go2net.com/bin/ct.api/I=3772527search4_8_19/R=4-41/Q=ben%20fo
lds%20five?http://www.underworld.net/bff/ )
but the multimedia, video and some other links don't work!
I thought maybe some of the BF fans might know.
ArkadeKid