Issue #1396 - February 9, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, February 9 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1396

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Let hauer tell us
    conan
    Bootlegs
    please erase the armchair
    Rubber Sled
    Re: The Beginnings Ain't Bad
    removal
    Beginings??
    www.benfoldsfive.COM
    A few reactions....
    A compromise...
    Mach 4, Rolling Stone.

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:37:35 -0600
From: Clayton Smith <ctsmith@onr.com>
Subject: Let hauer tell us

somebody ask him how much he makes on the cds or have him do a cost
breakdown.....it might be interesting....

Clayton

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:13:16 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1395

HEY!! listen i have this spectacular idea!!

STOP ARGUING ABOUT BOOTLEGS!!!
you have private e-mail addresses for a reason
so i don't have to listen to you crying about
"you don't have a cd burner you don't know anything"
"well he isn't satan back off"

i'm not trying to insult anyone specific
i just don't want to hear any more nitpicking of others responses

Bootlegs are good because: fans get music they might not be able to get other
places
bootlegs are bad because: people who are not the band make a profit
(sometimes) on stuff the band has worked hard on

i don't mean to attack anyone specific even though i did
sorry

thank you and goodnight
ben

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 22:40:17 -0600
From: "Will Flores" <willly@wt.net>

<<All this talk about bootlegs....I think everyone is forgetting that Ben
Folds Five allows bootlegs.  Many bands have policies against it....BFF
does not.  Therefore, you are not exploiting the band.>>

They don't have a problem with recording shows, but they do have a problem
with people putting a show on a CDR and selling it for 50 bucks....

<<Well, actually it does discredit you mainly for the fact that you don't
know how much time, money and effort is required for a cd burner>>

No, sir it does not.  It does not mean that I've never seen or used them or
that I haven't seen the cds for sale.  It does not discredit me AT ALL.  By
using this argument you are assuming to much.  This argument is a DEAD END.
It has no credibility at all. And I still standby my analogy that I don't
own a Mercedes, but I know that they are expensive analogy.

<<
I have actually spoken with several people who have considered trading with
him, but upon seeing that he primarily sold the cds, decided that it was
not such a good thing (good for them). Did you also notice what the person
who posted was trading for "The Beginnings"? It was two videos, doesn't
that seem a bit much to you? I think that's a bit much, but that's just me.
You seem quite certain of his motives...are you sure you're not in cahoots
with him? If not, I suggest making sure you know exactly what he means by
trades...it could mean trading the cds for your 1st born...your car...your
soul. >>

The fact that people have a problem with him is not valid evidence against
him.  And as you may have noticed, the guy that offered to trade the videos
said that he (as in the person with the videos) was the one that initiated
the trade.  If it seems like too much, its his own fault for OFFERING so
much.  Once again, the fact that he is offering a trade almost completely
redeems him of the fact the he may be making a tiny profit (I'll concede the
fact that he is making a quarter off of it), because it means that there are
ways around just buying it.  And no, I'm not in 'cahoots' with him (how does
webster define cahoots anyways...:).  So, you have yet to prove that hauer
is satan and that the trade thing is just a loophole.  I'm sorry, but the
"my friends don't like him therefor he is Hitler reincarnated" reasoning
doesn't work.

<<Anyway, you seem set in your ideals, so I hope your obstinate nature will
serve you well one day...>>

thanks, I'm hoping it will....  Likewise to you, to. :)

Willy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 20:55:03 PST
From: "B. C." <emaline3@hotmail.com>
Subject: conan

well since I know prety much nothing about bootlegs and cd burners, I've
decided to dredge up a topic from a while ago.  A lot of people were so
miffed at Conan for practically ignoring Ben on the show, but I  saw
something the other night that may make you think not so poorly of him.
He was talking about hoe william Shatner is his idol, hero, something
like that.  Now, if you met your idol or hero, would you not give them
your full attention?  I mean if I met Ben Folds Five, I dont think that
I would pay very much attention if say beck were there too.  It's not
saying that beck isnt amazing, just that BFF are my favourite band.  So
maybe that was the case with conan.
Okay, so I've just wasted your time, I wanted to think of something to
write since I wont be able to for about three months.  I'm leaving for
the Netherlands on the 15th.  That's it from me for now, dont worry,
you're not rid of me forever...wha ha ha (evil laughter)

...Becca

**********
" Why do people in ship mutinies always ask for "better treatment"? I'd
ask for a pinball machine, because with all that rocking back and forth
you'd probably be able to get a lot of free games. "

" If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun
in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck
cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!"
and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just
say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of
justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they
had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit
them up for a free drink. "

                                      Jack Handey

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:38:43 PST
From: "Heather Kniert" <hkniert@hotmail.com>
Subject: Bootlegs

Okay, this is getting malicious.  We all obviously have differing
opinions on the whole bootleg issue.  Let's stop the verbal bashing and
keep this MA free from ranting and raving.

Honestly, why are so many of the people on here so DAMN sensitive?!?!
Can't we just boil it down to the fact that we're all nuts about BFF and
keep it at that?

Why can't we all just get along?!

Heather...

http://home.talkcity.com/StudioDr/hcookie99 (check out "My Photo Album"
- - I just updated it!)

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 01:43:15 EST
From: "J.R. Sebastian" <unthink@hotmail.com>
Subject: please erase the armchair

does anyone think
that it's getting tiring
to talk about the bootlegs?
PLEASE if the band wants to prosecute
or persecute people for making bootlegs,
they have their own lawyers
and as ben is so fond of saying (referring to bootlegging),
"It happens all the time, it's no big deal"

the real crime is apparently selling the CD-R for more than what the
materials cost... how fiendish.

What about the good old days,
when we would talk about the rumors
of ben's homosexuality, the "sellout"
status of Whatever and Ever Amen,
and the meaning of the song "Brick"?

Sebastian "Nobody writes them like they used to"

P.S. the answers are
1. ben HAS a life partner, he is not looking for a new one (his life
partner is named jesse. I dont know his last name; he plays the drums. I
know this because I saw an article about them in SPIN)
2. Whatever and Ever is an Artsy concept album, you can only find it
through mail order (to get an address go to http://www.thrilljockey.com)
3. "Brick" is about a construction worker who loses his arm--he can't do
construction anymore, and now his kids don't love him as much as they
used to.

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 07:55:46 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Larkin <clarkin@dante.creighton.edu>
Subject: Rubber Sled

Just bought "Fear Of Pop". Sorry, I'm a little slow.

And it was funny. Seeing William Shatner sit in with the guys actually
clinched the deal for me. I said to myself, I says "Chris," I says, "If
these guys can make him sound good, the CD must be worth buying." And it
is. I think it's a true test of wether or not you can appreciate Mr.
Folds' composing skills. It separates the Brickheads from the men
(figuratively).

But I noticed something about track 8 I think, titled "Rubber Sled". This
may have been brought up already, but the old guy (presumably Ben) is
listening to "Brick" played real fast in the background. Just thought it
was funny.

Chris

                \\|//
                (o o)            clarkin@dante.creighton.edu
- ------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------------------------

	"Let me tell you somethin', son. You think all this shit
	   here is shit. Well, I think you're shit, you
			    turd-dropper."
						-"Rubber Sled

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:50:05 -0800 (PST)
From: punx@psnw.com
Subject: Re: The Beginnings Ain't Bad

correct me if I'm wrong but that page has been updated about two times in
one year... the last update being some time in June.  If they still are
doing that CD, I'd like a copy...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:05:04 EST
From: ObieDoll@aol.com
Subject: removal

unsubscribe   magical armchair digest

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:14:41 EST
From: Astro111@aol.com
Subject: Beginings??

Okay so I feel loserish. I guess skimming isn't smart to do but what IS this
begininngs CD? Plllease someone let me know!
Thanks,
RobinA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:15:12 -0500
From: Ronald Ring <ronbring@iaw.on.ca>
Subject: www.benfoldsfive.COM

Has anybody noticed that if you got to WWW.BENFOLDSFIVE.COM (not
www.bffweb.com, the official site) You get the official site in frames with
John Hauer's site.  I don't know, I know he's not technically making any
claims to it, but it makes it look like he made the offical page.  It just
seems a little stupid for him to do that.

Man, this is like John Hauer Bashfest '99!  That guy has to stop getting
people mad and just use some common sense.

Alex
						On one hand, I'm a patriot
						On the other, I'm a skeleton
						On one level, I'm a singer
						On the other, I'm your brother
						On one station I'm a champion
						On another I'm unknown
						On one corner I'm a hero
						But everywhere I am zero
									-Thrush Hermit

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:37:06 +0100
From: "Guillaume" <ggranger@club-internet.fr>
Subject: A few reactions....

Snlpiscopo@aol.com wrote :

>The BF5 page www.underworld.net/bff is working on a CD-R of the BF5
>composing demos and say they will sell it for about $10!!!! Now, correct
>me if I'm wrong, but there is a link to that page at www.bffweb.com
>now, again, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the OFFICIAL Ben Folds
>Five page. And the Beginnings is practically the same CD, and is also $10.

Well, the double cd set at underworld was imagined after the page was linked
on BFFs official site I think... And given that the links on the official
BFF page havent been updated in a while, this could be a reason... (and
correct me if i am wrong too, but the underworld site hasnt been updated for
a almost a year now, i guess no one's running it anymore...)

hiltonpage@hotmail.com wrote :

>By the way, I was at the BFF site and noticed that the guys who runs it
>is Hauer, is it the same dude some people are ripping into about
>bootlegging, if so, he must have some connection with the band 'I'd
>think', and if not, well he's put in some hours for the band so he must
>be a fan. I'm sure you wouldn't rip off a band you love and I'm sure he
>wouldn't either.

It seems that some people think John Hauer's site (www.benfoldsfive.org) is
an official BFF website. IT IS NOT. It's a personnal homepage, the official
website is at www.bffweb.com
Concerning the Begginings CD, i admit, i have it. I agree with everyone
saying John might be interested in making profit.. etc... what i have to say
about this : I have never had a problem with him, i got the cds one week
after sending the money, he replied ALL (about 4) of my emails... And now
let me tell you why i decided to order it : because for me, it was much
cheaper than trading tapes. I dont often trade, and i must say that for me,
trading is very expensive. For example : i once traded 2:1, this means i had
to pay for 2 blank tapes and then send the blank tapes from france to the
usa, which cost me about US $4.2 (economic fares). All this for just getting
1 tape ! If i had to do that for getting 2 tapes (the equivalent of the
Begginings cd), it would have cost me around $10 too... This sucks since it
prevents me from trading, though i would love to get my hands on Bootlegs
too.. Anyway, this is just my own experience... And i quite agree that
ripping the band sucks, but let me tell you that considering the shipping
rates between france and the usa, John didnt make any profit from our trade
: )
Thats all, take care everyone !

   Guillaume, aka the french BFF fan ; )
   Ben Folds Five - Le French Site (français & english) :
   http://www.multimania.com/bff
 Email: bff@multimania.com     ICQ: 3634174     AIM: geeyom

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:31:41 -0000
From: "Will Brady" <will@bradymail.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: A compromise...

Hey everyone,

What with all this talk about J Hauer ripping people off with his selling
'The Beginnings' for $10, why doesn't he make a compromise and offer them
for download as mp3s? That way, people who feel they don't want to pay hard
cash for something which should, in fact, be traded or distributed freely,
don't have to. Just an idea...

Does anyone actually know this J Hauer guy? I was going to send him some
money for 'The Beginnings' (I'm a glutton for punishment, I know) but
haven't heard from in ages, and his site hasn't been updated in 2 months.
What the hell is going on? Can anyone throw some light on the situation, or
perhaps forward my suggestion to him - I'm fairly sure that most people
would rather spend a couple of hours downloading mp3s than send some guy
cash through the mail.

See ya,

Will.

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:43:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Sock Head <blank_wishes@yahoo.com>
Subject: Mach 4, Rolling Stone.

Hey all.

In the March 4th Rolling Stone there's a pic of Ben and William
talking about FOP. It's on page 24.

Amy