Issue #1402 - February 14, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Sunday, February 14 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1402

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Amhurst Concert
    requested info
    cd prices in Canada
    cd prices
    smoke
    Air transcription
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1399
    S/T Songbook
    FOP Review in 9x
    Amhurst Show....

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:04:45 EST
From: Bach21@aol.com
Subject: Amhurst Concert

hey...   Ok, so I live in Florida and I'm a junior and my parents are being
kind enough to let me visit Amhurst the weekend of the concert b/c 1.) I'm
looking at Amhurst for college and 2.) I want to see the concert....  So i
just wanted to share my happy news with everyone and ask anyone from Amhurst
to Email me... PLEASE!!!!  I will love you if you do....   I need details,
etc...
love, luck, and lollipops,
Gin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:30:22 EST
From: Unlucky136@aol.com
Subject: requested info

UNIVERSITY DEGREE PROGRAMS

Increase your personal prestige and money
earning power through an advanced
university degree.

Eminent, non-accredited universities will
award you a degree for only $200.

Degree granted based on your present
knowledge and experience.  No further
effort necessary on your part.

Just a short phone call is all that is required for a
BA, MA, MBA, or PhD diploma in the field of your
choice.

For details, call 602-230-4252

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:26:22 -0800 (PST)
From: ralph kyatsu <inane_insane@yahoo.com>
Subject: cd prices in Canada

whoa I have no idea where heather gets her cds, but I'm in toronto and
I got WAEA for about 12.99 (or was it 13.99) before taxes...partially
why I bought it in the first place = )..but the most I spent for a BFF
cd (non bootleg) was 16.99 before taxes....

>Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:39:02 PST
>From: "Heather Kniert" <hkniert@hotmail.com>
>Subject: CD Prices...
>
>Here in Canada I pay about $27.35 for a Ben Folds Five >CD.  It's
highway robbery, I tell you...  MAN, you >Americans have it lucky!

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:33:45 PST
From: "kirstine florussen" <partikleman@hotmail.com>
Subject: cd prices

Oh, Heather, I completely understand your canadian plight about the
astronomical prices attatched to those cds.  here in australia we pay
the same (ok, but we don't have gst or pst....yet).  only now hmv has
reduced Whatever to 19.95.  yeah, after everyone already has the damn
cd....

Kirstine

"He wants a shoehorn, the kind with teeth
  Because he knows there's no such thing"
                         -TMBG

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 02:30:47 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: smoke

hey there!
lauren asked about smoke. you may
already know this, but in the FAQ,
it just says:
"I co-wrote this song with someone
else, so i couldn't want to speak
for her, but what it means to me
is that you can't escape from your
memories of your past".
i believe ben co-wrote smoke with
anna goodman.

                from JANET  =)

 <*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

         (_x_)  kiss my ass...goodbye
                -ben folds five

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:12:37 EST
From: Lewbob2OOO@aol.com
Subject: Air transcription

Hey, this is my first post.  Just wanted to say that the other day I went into
Camelot Music store at the mall to look for sheet music and I noticed they had
a book for piano of all the songs on the Godzilla Soundtrack.  I instantly
picked it up to look to see if Air was in it, and it was.  The transcription
is horrible though, almost nothing like what he really plays.  Just thought
this was interesting.

Lewis

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:51:10 -0800
From: Igloo Johnson III <topdeck@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1399

> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:35:55 EST
> From: Paul1681@aol.com
> Subject: i can't believe this sometimes
>
> <1. ben HAS a life partner, he is not looking for a new one (his life
> <partner is named jesse. I dont know his last name; he plays the drums. I
> <know this because I saw an article about them in SPIN) ----- What the hell
> <is this? This is new to me. Is this new to anyone else, or have I just ben
> <living in a fold for the last six months? I read Spin, and I never saw
> <that. I want date of issue and page number buddy. I always thought the
> <inspiration of some of his work was past and current girlfriends.
> <- -----
> <Confused, and Justified in text,
> <Chris
>
> are you fucking serious?  this is almost as bad as when i ended a post with
> some lines from 'underground' but put after them that i forgot where i heard
> them...it was a joke because who on this list WOULDN'T know that the lyrics
> were from 'underground?'  then i got a million e-mails telling me that the
> lyrics were from 'underground.'  Chris, whoever you are, rub the sleep out of
> your eyes.
>
> Paul

I remember from one of the Morning Becomes eclectic interviews that Ben had in
fact married Kate.  The same Kate that the crush song was written about.  She had
moved out to California and when BFF came to CA for the tour they met up again.
Their first date was when Ben took her to his first performance at 101.9  They
married some time after that.  I'm not sure where or if this is archived somewhere

but I know someone had it in .ram format on their site.

Micah Wilson
"So original in her black lipstick, listening to some obscure band.
But isn't she pissed that all the other non-conformists
Listen to that same obscure band"
- - Gregg Alexander, New Radicals

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:30:25 PST
From: "Beatle 19" <emaline_@hotmail.com>
Subject: S/T Songbook

Ok, I know this is highly unlikely - BUT - I'll ask anyway - does anyone
have the FIRST (S/T) songbook and doesn't really want it or doesn't play
it and it just sits there in your place looking dead ... If so, I will
be happy to buy if from you.  Please if ANYone would like to sell the
first songbook please e-mail me and tell me how much.
The more I think about it the more guiltly I feel for not buying it when
it was available.  Thanks.

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:20:41 +0000
From: Mark & Mikell Brown <brownmm@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: FOP Review in 9x

I just wanted to let you guys in the Richmond, C'ville, & Harrisonburg
VA area know that I've got a review of FOP in the Feb. issue of 9x (Nine
Times) available FREE at all Plan 9 locations. It's the one with Sebadoh
on the cover. Go figure.

Also, I'll be reviewing the Gladhand's upcoming "Flutter and Wow" in the
March issue. The Gladhands are a Chapel Hill band and many of you
old-time BFFers know that Robert Sledge played bass on much of their '97
release "la di da." It's AWESOME! I've got their first album "From Here
to Obscurity" blaring out of my computer speakers as we speak. Check out
their website at www.gladhands.com
(To Ginger Nance- I'm on the gladlist.....we'll talk....)

Here's hoping that BFF make their way down the eastcoast to DC or
central Virginia this spring!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikell b.

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:24:38 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Amhurst Show....

I need info on the Amhurst show. Is it open to non-amhurst people? when do
tickets go on sale? where will I be able to get them? please email me
privately if you know the answers to any of these questions. This is one of
the many reasons why i think a Fan Club is a good idea.