Issue #1404 - February 16, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest  Tuesday, February 16 1999  Volume 01 : Number 1404

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    NEW SHIRTS and misc.
    Re: Recording Studio '99
    She's gone; no more comments please!
    Majosha, Toxic Popsicle, and Armaggedon
    Robert Ewell
    bootlegs, shmootlegs
    Ben on CNN
    MTV TRL
    Ben on CNN
    hello pussycats
    cheap!

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:55:27 EST
From: NEWR0CK@aol.com
Subject: NEW SHIRTS and misc.

hola armchairers,

well i cant wait for the release date and the new material
i cant wait untill harrisburg it shall be great.
anyway every once in a while i check out the  stuff section to
see if there is anything new and well now there are
the whatever songbook is finally out
also an OFFICIAL BFF poster is out for 6 bucks
and a new really cool shirt with their heads on it for 15\\

well love y'all,

mcgregor

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:55:52 -0600
From: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject: Re: Recording Studio '99

Did anyone else notice that the date on those pics say 1/14/90?

I suppose the year may be wrong.... I'd hope that was supposed to be 1999! Heh.

>Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:04:45 -0800
>From: slingerland96@juno.com
>Subject: Recording Studio '99
>
>	Hey guys, check out the official site: http://www.bffweb.com there is
>this section called "Recording Studio '99" & so far it has pictures of
>the band in the studio, hopefully there will be more stuff! Hopefully a
>title to the new album!!
>
>··> Bobby

- --
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/
christopher@schulte.org

I am poopcutus of Borg.  Resistance is futile!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:57:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: She's gone; no more comments please!

why she kept bouncing Armchairs back and she replied that it was because
she was trying to unsubscribe.  Now, anyone with even a marginal grasp of
English is capable of reading the fronter message on each and every digest
which tells how to unsubscribe. Apparently, she hasn't even figured out
how e-mail works, since she first bounced my inquiry back without a reply,
then sent me a second message with her "explanation".

Sorry for the long unnecessary digests. Please, no more comments. Thanks.

 -fjm
                          And I went in for the kill

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:32:36 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: Majosha, Toxic Popsicle, and Armaggedon

Howdy!  For any of y'all who don't know
Majosha - Ben's earlier band
Toxic Popsicle - Robert's earlier band
Armaggedon - Darren's earlier band
i have the two TP songs from the Beginnings CD set and I have a copy on tape
of Shut Up and Listen to Majosha (it really rocks!)...can anyone help me find
any other stuff...i know about the quest for TP stuff...does anyone have ANY
Armaggedon (I keep spelling that incorrectly, don't i?) stuff at all?  can
anyone hook me up with a real cd of Majosha's or any more songs than the 12
from "Shut Up"  thanks  any info at all about these three bands would be
greatly appreciated...i have (i think) 19 tapes in my collection of bff swag
and i might be able to hook y'all up with some bff stickers or something cool.
thank you.

Paul
paul1681@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:01:53 -0800
From: Clare <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: Robert Ewell

Anyone read 'To Kill A Mockingbird'? I'm sure heaps of you have...
anyway, there's a character called Robert Ewell (Robert E. Lee Ewell). Is
Robert named after him or is that just a huuuge coincidence? The actual
character doesn't seem to me like someone you'd want to name a baby
after: he's described as 'a little bantam cock of a man'. But the book
also mentions that he bears 'no resemblance to his namesake'. Is there a
more famous Robert Ewell that both these Roberts are named after, that I
don't know about? Who cares?
			    Clare
			     Co:
And everybody feels it
And everybody knows
There are those that have the flame
And then there's those that just wanna get close
						Ben Lee
- --
Everyone gather round now...               ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:49:09 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: bootlegs, shmootlegs

bootlegs, shmootlegs. I have plenty and the people who I traded with, or
who sent them to me coz they are nice, nice, nice people should all
consider themselves good and worthy citizens.

i love my boots

> Ewell Creme. kinda funny, i think.

hell i didnt even think of that. it all comes clear now. ta.

yeh, what is happening about the fan club?

taves

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 03:01:09 -0500
From: Jessica Brandt <jbrandt@kent.edu>
Subject: Ben on CNN

Here ya go:
(from rockontv.com)

FRIDAY FEB 19
2:30 PM on CNN (Showbiz Today)
	Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five and William Shatner of Star Trek fame
collaborate on a couple of tracks on a Folds side project called Fear of
Pop; for Shatner its a showcase for his inimatable spoken-word stylings,
first documents on 1968's "Transformer Man, " which Folds bought at a
garage                                               sales as a kid;
countdown to the Grammys

isn't it "transformed man"?

jess
          *      --+-READ THE SHRUBBERY-+--        *
          http://www.theshrubbery.prohosting.com
     --New Every Month- -Humor, Music, News and More--

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:23:58 PST
From: "Beatle 19" <emaline_@hotmail.com>
Subject: MTV TRL

Hey if anyone gets this today (the 15th) before 3:30 EASTERN time, could
you go and request "SFTD" on MTV"s TRL?  That'd be so awesome if they
actually played it!

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:12:34 EST
From: Vertigo131@aol.com

Hey everyone~

Just thought I'd post this from the RockOnTV website...

<<Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five and William Shatner of Star Trek fame
collaborate on a couple of tracks on a Folds side project called Fear of Pop;
for Shatner its a showcase for his inimatable spoken-word stylings, first
documents on 1968's "Transformer Man, " which Folds bought at a garage sales
as a kid; countdown to the Grammys>>

2:30 pm EASTERN on Friday, February 19th on CNN's Showbiz Today.

cheers
cait

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:38:08 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: hello pussycats

>A message for Ben, Darren and Robert, if you're reading the MA. Please,
>please, please get some major marketing happening "Down Under". It's
>quite depressing, that such an awesome talented band is just not "out
>there" over here. :-(

hmmmm I really must respond to this

we actually get quite alot of publicity for bff in Oz, it may just be
that the marketing is being targeted in places your not looking at the
moment. For eg; jjj gives heaps of publicity, as does which ever local
alternative station is supporting the band (eg. zzz in Brisvegas), also
the street rags: in Brisbane 'Time Off' supports bff very strongly (tho
the reviewers are dumb....); bff does get decent airplay on rage also.
Besides, bff is an alternative band, so they're not likely to get major
marketing like janet jackson or matchbox 20, which are EXAMPLES (no
maligning here; i like janet) of top 40 artists, which are more likely
to attract bigger crowds. the publicists will only put as much publicity
in as they think is neccessary to attract numbers.

to continue egs of publicity for bff in oz: recovery support them,
channel v, ugly phil, even my local crappy paper (courier mail, people)
did an article on them, as did the other street mags.
i could go on....

sorry about this, I did marketing, publicity and pr at uni a bit....

this is the first time I'm using email at school and its very niiiice...

nice to see a post from dan h: you keep telling us the word on
cd-burners, man!

on the whole shirt thing, I havent read the most recent ma's but, theres
a brissie company that would do it for about 12-15 bucks.

rock on with your bad selves (which is a sign-off I have blatantly
stolen from leigh13, love your work man)

taves

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:00:10 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: cheap!

russell man, we are not cheap people
do you have any idea how much we ozzers pay for cd's, any cds?!
$30 generally. but I would pay more than that for bff

indginant taves