Issue #1406 - February 18, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest  Thursday, February 18 1999  Volume 01 : Number 1406

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    beginings cd
    Six Degrees And Other Fun Stuff
    Re: benfoldsfive.org
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1405
    oz
    Re: benfoldsfive.org
    Re: Videos
    Armageddon
    Twin Falls
    ben and bs on tv
    Amherst Show
    Ben Folds Five CD's under $13
    mr. henry
    University Of Rhode Island
    ***Bhagavad-Gita***
    bhagavad gita

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:20:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "Robert Stevie Berryman Jr." <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: beginings cd

i know i'll probably get ripped for asking, but what is the beginings cd?
where can i get one?  i haven't read in awhile.  does it have anything to
do with that cd that the figment of reality page was making?

thanks,
st

- --
R. Stevie Berryman
gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:28:42 -0600
From: Sarah Troupis <s-troupis@nwu.edu>
Subject: Six Degrees And Other Fun Stuff

	Hello to all my BFF loving friends!  Well, I have rejoined the land of the
living after spending Saturday morning until Tuesday morning lying on a
couch at my parent's house with the flu.  It was not a good weekend, let me
tell you that.  And weekend television is even worse than weekday
television, I discovered.
	Well, anyway, I do have a point to this post, and it really isn't about my
weekend of being sick.  If any of you guys and gals are members of
sixdegrees.com (Oh, what havoc games about Kevin Bacon have wreaked upon
our society), you may have noticed a lack of BFF groups.  Well, not any
longer!  I started the Ben Folds Five group for all of us that feel the
need to discuss the guys at any (and on certain days every) moment of the
day.  So, those of you that are on sixdegrees, check it out, and those of
you who aren't on sixdegrees, join it.  You get to see how closely you're
related to all sorts of really cool people.  Like me.  Or not cool people
like me, depending on who you talk to about my cool factor - my entire high
school class, for example (thank goodness I'm out of there, notice it's two
years ex post facto and I'm still bitter - give me twenty and I'll probably
still feel the same way.  Preppie scum thinking they were better than
me...I only hope that someday I'll get to laugh at them as they mow my
lawn...Anyone else getting an Angry Dwarf vibe here?).
	Okay guys and chicas, I'm outtie.  I'm sure someone has already posted
that there are four more tour dates listed at bffweb.com, so I'll leave
that one alone.  Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year and Happy Mardi Gras and I
love you all (unless you're preppie scum - I really should give up being
bitter for Lent)...

Sarah
(Insert a musical quote deemed worthy enough to appear on MA here)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:33:59 -0600
From: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject: Re: benfoldsfive.org

Chris puts his detective cap on to see what's up here.

Two name servers have responsibility to answer requests for
benfoldsfive.org.  They are NS1.THE-BEST.NET and DNS1.YAKIMAVALLEY.NET.  I
cannot get any response whatsoever from NS1.THE-BEST.NET.  It looks to be
offline.  I cannot ping it, nor get any dns tool to talk to it.

DNS1.YAKIMAVALLEY.NET is online.  I can ping it, and ask it dns questions
with which it responds.  It however is not even set up to handle requests
for benfoldsfive.org authoritatively.

In other words: benfoldsfive.org is offline.  You will not be able to pull
up a webpage, nor will ANY email to anyone @benfoldsfive.org get delivered.

>Everytime I go to www.benfoldsfive.org it says Unknown Host......could this be
>why he isn't emailing anyone, because that's the server his email is on.

- --
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/
christopher@schulte.org

I wish my name was Juanita.  That'd be cool.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:09:46 -0600
From: Mark <s210660@mail.nwmissouri.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1405

   The bhagavad gita is the holy book, like the christian bible, for some
religion, hindu or buddism.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:10:21 PST
From: "kirstine florussen" <partikleman@hotmail.com>
Subject: oz

<I've been seeing the word oz for a long time on the armchair, and have
no ideawhat it means, can somebody help me?>

people in australia are lazy.  myself included.  we shorten everything.
oz is simply short for australia.

kirstine

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:10:12 +1030
From: Ben Williams <ben@tne.net.au>

Snlpiscopo@aol.com wrote:
> Subject: benfoldsfive.org
>
> Everytime I go to www.benfoldsfive.org it says Unknown Host......could this be
> why he isn't emailing anyone, because that's the server his email is on.

yeah, benfoldsfive.org has been down for a bit now...i used to have a
cool forwarding address from there, but recently it has not worked at
all (i used to be ben@benfoldsfive.org, how funky), and the website has
not been up for a while. internic says:
> whois benfoldsfive.org
Connecting to the rs Database . . . . . .
Connected to the rs Database

Registrant:
John Hauer (BENFOLDSFIVE6-DOM)
   904 Goodlander Circle
   Selah, WA 98942
   US

   Domain Name: BENFOLDSFIVE.ORG

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Hauer, John  (JH14087)  jhauer@THE-BEST.NET
      509-698-4404 (FAX) n/a
   Billing Contact:
      Hauer, John  (JH14087)  jhauer@THE-BEST.NET
      509-698-4404 (FAX) n/a

   Record last updated on 13-Sep-98.
   Record created on 13-Sep-98.
   Database last updated on 16-Feb-99 09:17:59 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.THE-BEST.NET             206.129.97.2
   DNS1.YAKIMAVALLEY.NET        206.129.97.4

so he could be reached at jhauer@the-best.net maybe.

>From Ben.
- --
Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 00:59:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: Re: Videos

JoeyK wrote:

> Does anyone know what the band plans to do with the band film footage
> they were asking for on the BFFWEB site?

Yes, they are working on a video compilation. Original plans had it coming
out around last Christmas but they got delayed with rights & clearances or
something. I don't know when to expect it, but they do plan on releasing
it as a "home video" release.

 -fjm
                             I made an investment

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:53:04 +1100
From: julianne@ronscomputers.com.au
Subject: Armageddon

>also armageddon.  much like paul, i was also
>wondering what happened to their stuff and why no one has it.  maybe they
>didn't release anything? well...let me know if you all find anything.

I do believe this was just one of Darren's high school bands, so I wouldn't
really expect anything to be released...

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

Julie's Australian Ben Folds Five webpage
 http://www.angelfire.com/me/katefolds/

who needs today? wishing it away
you made a mess of me
- - Superdrag

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:38:45 GMT0BST
From: "M.J. SPENCELAYH" <bmbmjs@south-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Twin Falls

Does anyone out there in BenFoldsFive land know where I can get hold
of the piano chords/lyrics to the hit tune 'Twin Falls' as performed
by the band?

Thanks,

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 07:14:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Judi Smith <jsmith@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: ben and bs on tv

my daughter sent me this info:
Subject: ben folds

2:30 pm Friday & 3:00 am later that night, Friday/Saturday
CNN - Showbiz Today
Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five and William Shatner of Star Trek fame
collaborate on a couple of tracks on a Folds side project called Fear of
Pop; for Shatner its a showcase for his inimatable spoken-word stylings,
first documented on 1968's "Transformer Man, " which Folds bought at a
garage sale as a kid; countdown to the Grammys

judi smith                                 i twist like a corkscrew
jsmith@bc.seflin.org                          the sweetness rising
                                                i drink from the bottle
would you catch me if i was falling?              weeping why won't you last
    kiss me if i was leaving?                        why can't you last
        hold me cause i'm lonely without you?           -- foolish love
                                -- round here               rufus wainwright

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:00:21 -0500
From: Lawrence Tong <ltong@foodsci.umass.edu>
Subject: Amherst Show

I go to school in Amherst (UMass not Amherst College) and I called their
ticket office.  The girl didn't even know BFF was coming, but she said
tickets usually go on sale about a month before the show (big help). She
also said that it won't be students only, but students will get a
discount.  I'll post more if I find out anything else.
		Bear

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:21:49 +0000
From: "Del" <prs14097-001@popmail.prestel.co.uk>
Subject: Ben Folds Five CD's under $13

THIS IS NOT A SPAM LETTER.

I noticed people were moaning about prices of CD's outside of the
USA. I'm from the UK and the cheapest place I've found is:

http://cheap-cds.com/surf/home

Most CD's are under $13.00 plus they add $2.63 p & p. If like me your
outside of the USA you pay $4.43 for p&p. Here's an example of some
of their prices :             Smith,Elliott              Xo   $7.09    (not incl. p&p)
Ben Folds Five Naked Baby Photos     $11.50  (not incl. p&p)

If you live in the UK and  buy no more than two CD's (to avoid import
tax) then they work out at roughly 10UK pounds each and only take 7
days to arrive.

I'm not on a commision or getting money from this company and the
reason I recommend them is :
1) Their the best & cheapest I've come across
2) I don't like hearing about BF5 fans being ripped off. Let the
Backside boy fans pay the higher money for their CD'S!

Del.

Sorry typing error. I mean Backstreet Boys.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:36:50 EST
From: Granianite@aol.com
Subject: mr. henry

hi everyone......
recently i heard about a band called mr. henry.  in their bio they said
they're made up of former members of dog's eye view and BEN FOLDS FIVE.  now,
i like to think of myself as a pretty big ben fan, but I had no idea that they
used to have different members.  i was really surprised when my friend told me
about it.  he had just heard of mr. henry too, though, so he really didn't
know anything about it, either.  can anyone give me any info on them?
anything you know is appreciated.
everyone else....check out mr. henry at http://mrhenry.com....it's really good
stuff.
have a lovely day, everyone....
~jill

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:38:48 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: University Of Rhode Island

Yay!!!!! They're doin a show in R.I. Does anyone have any info on this show as
far as when tickets go on sale and where I can get them. And the price also
(as if it matters, I would never give up a chance to see the guys live).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:18:40 -0500
From: Evan Quinto <evan@dc.jones.com>
Subject: ***Bhagavad-Gita***