Issue #1411 - February 22, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Sunday, February 21 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1411

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    New Album Title! - MTV News 1515
    beginnings cd
    let me be the first (i hope)
    It starts.
    This Messner thing...
    not armegeddon...in limbo
    Beginnings
    London Meet
    Ben on MTV again! Believe it!
    Amherst Show.
    bhagavad gita
    You don't have to read this...

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:17:53 -0500
From: "Nick Rusche" <nrusche1@purdue.edu>
Subject: New Album Title! - MTV News 1515

Hey all, lately I've just been scanning the armchair, but I am pretty sure
nobody has mentioned this.  I could be wrong, but here it is anyway:

Ben and Shattner were on MTV News 1515 tonight (Friday 7:30) talking about
"In Love," and at the end John Norris said they were working on their
upcoming album, titled:

"The Unauthorized Biography of Rhinehold Mezner."

It could be a classic Ben Folds media lie, but that's what was reported so
take it as you want.  I've been on this list a year now and this was my
first post.  Peace out.

Nick

p.s. it will be repeated at least 12 times this weekend i'm sure.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:20:33 -0500 (EST)
From: "Robert Stevie Berryman Jr." <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: beginnings cd

does anyone know where i can get this cd?

- --
R. Stevie Berryman, Jr.(aka rey mysterio, jr.)
gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:34:29 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: let me be the first (i hope)

ok, unless somebody has beaten me to it, let me be the first to apply an
acronym to the title of the new album:

TUBORM
or
TUBRM

thank you very much!

now, the song "Jane"...is it the same one who would have rather died than kiss
Ben in second grade?

oh yeah baby...april 27

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 01:42:17 EST
From: Emaline555@aol.com
Subject: It starts.

Ah, a new generation lies before us.

For most of us, a new Ben Folds Five album is a big thing. A colossal thing.
There is a whole experience about getting a brand new album that your favorite
band has released.  I see that this one is just beginning.

So far, we have the title of the album and the songtitles.  Did anyone else
get really excited upon reading them? Did anyone else try to guess what the
songs are like? Yes, of course.

It starts.

First, everyone experiences the anxiety of the existence of brand-new "virgin"
songs. 11 whole songs! I even get excited when I come across a poor-quality
unreleased mp3.  The thought of hearing an entire new set of BFF songs is
enough already to blow our minds. We start to wonder...."how will these new
songs compare to the ones we have come to know so well?" And we all mark our
calendars....counting the days down....until April 27th.

Then we wonder...."what will the cover art look like? how can i get an advance
copy? what will the new tour be like?"  and we save up the $$ for a concert
ticket (or for those of us who can't go to one of the announced shows, we mope
in hope).  We go through the anxiety of "how can i meet the band?" or "I
wonder if they will remember me" and mark our calendars for the closest
concert.  The new abulm becomes referred to as "TUBORM" or some other clever
acronym.

Then we'll wonder how to get ahold of that promo poster seen in the window of
the local record store.  Our jealousy of those who already have the album
(from promotions deals) escalates, yet deep down we know that waiting is all
part of the experience.  We scan the airwaves in hopes of an advertisement or
a glimpse of "I Thought About the Army," the first single. We can't stop
talking about the new album to our friends as the countdown narrows to a
single-digit number.

And finally, the day arrives.

We rush to the record store as soon as our first free minute allows. We make a
beeline for  the Ben Folds Five section...because we already know exactly
where it is, of course. The album comes into view. All the waiting is over! We
pick up the first copy and admire it...then put that one down and pick up the
one behind it because it's "fresher" (c'mon, we all do it).  Instead of
rushing straight to the register, we have to take care of the first few
minutes required to "bond" with the unopened masterpiece.  We do a slow
victory lap around the store...satisfied to be holding something that has been
so anticipated. It's a feeling of triumph.  We pay our hard-earned money and
carefully rip off the plastic, peel the sticker, and start to enjoy.  As the
first song begins, we think to ourselves, "That was the easiest $13 i've ever
spent" (unless you live in Taksiikahajydaasitan, in which case it costs
$5,000,000). And you already know the songs are good.

And don't forget...there will be another cycle of "did you hear that pig snort
in between 'Magic' and 'Hospital Song'?" (i made that up) and "i wonder what
'Redneck Past' is really about."  Once the bandwagon has reached full speed,
the Armchair will have another influx of "newbies"... or should we call them
Army-heads(?) who heard "that song" on the radio.

It's a glorious thing...that Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner.  Even
though i'm being sentimental about something that hasn't happened yet, i'm
sure that a lot of you can identify with what i've said....as some of us have
gone through the same thing for WAEA and NBP.

This was just a big long post about nothing.

But i'm excited.
Emily

"Me and Robert...bringin' back the CHOPS" - Andy Everett

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 23:53:20 -0500
From: "Leigh 13" <leigh13@mindless.com>
Subject: This Messner thing...

So we all know about 'The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner' by
now, right?  I never expected Ben Folds Five to put out a cover album, but
it looks like that could be the case here. It's better than nothing, I
guess.  Check out the tracks:

Narcolepsy - Third Eye Blind
Don't Change - INXS (or Hall & Oates, your choice)
Mess - Scratch Acid
Magic - The Temptations
Hospital Song - Ten cc
I Thought About the Army - (okay, maybe this one is original)
Redneck Past - (maybe this one is too)
Your Most Valuable Possession - (fine, three original songs)
Regrets - Jay-Z (all right!..or not as exciting, Eurhythmics)
Jane - Barenaked Ladies
Lullabye - Shawn Mullins

Somebody's gotta get these guys writing their OWN songs.  In any case, I'm
jonesin' for ANY Ben Folds Five.  Rock!

- - Leigh 13

[this post was intended as humor.  please take it that way.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:27:09 +1100
From: julianne@ronscomputers.com.au
Subject: not armegeddon...in limbo

>actually, armageddon did release a cd entitled "What?"  i guess i should've
>read my FAQ again before i posted.

Nope..Armegeddon did not release the cd "What?" that was Darren's band "In
Limbo"

- -Julie 'anti-gavin'

Julie's Australian Ben Folds Five webpage
 http://www.angelfire.com/me/katefolds/

who needs today? wishing it away
you made a mess of me
- - Superdrag

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 06:39:19 PST
From: "Beatle 19" <emaline_@hotmail.com>
Subject: Beginnings

Ok, I know I"m five steps behind, but what it this cd?  And where can
one buy it?  ANd if it's sold out can I get aape of it?  Please e-mail
about this.  Thanks.

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:28:15 +0000 (GMT)
From: Mr Luke D Wilson <ch81lw@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject: London Meet

Christ. You don't mess about do you? I was going to leave it a little
while until suggesting a second Uk meet, but hell, if we can get Kirst,
Em, Toby, me and my posse, and assorted others together for pre-gig
bladderings then that sounds fine and dandy.

Assembly House FRONT BAR (if you were there last time, you'll understand)
at 6?

Cool.

Take caerphilly.

Luke

"Boiled dog could do maths claims experimenter."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:47:06 EST
From: SmilesGLH@aol.com
Subject: Ben on MTV again! Believe it!

Good afternoon everyone....

Just like to tell you that I was flipping through the channels this morning
and I caught a brief moment of that new MTV News broadcast...I think it's 1515
or something like that...and I heard the host person mention Ben's name! I
thought I was hearing things but, low and behold, there's a clip of an
interview done by Kurt Loder with Ben himself and William Shatner. I proceded
to pop a tape in the VCR since it happened to be sitting there, and after the
commercial there was a whole interview with clips from the Conan show and a
couple of Ben's video's and from Shatner's album thingie. It was awesome! I
also noticed that it's on this couch that was in a picture from what, I
believe, was a part of a picture that my Daddy found for me out of a Newsweek
or something like that (I can find out if you really want to know) but this
picture if of Shatner and Ben (It's SO cute!) anyways; Look out for the
interview!

~Gretchen

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:58:44 -0500 (EST)
From: RusBF5@webtv.net (Rusty Weiss)
Subject: Amherst Show.

I spoke to somebody at the Amherst Campus Center who seemed to have a
clue.  He told me that tickets for the April 17th show go on sale March
10th for students only.  Tickets for the public will go on sale on March
22nd.  It was the only helpful information I got on this show from
anybody.  Of course, this begs 2 questions....
Is there anybody on this list attending Amherst College?...and...how
much $$$ will it take for you and I to be friends?  If anybody hears any
contradictory information, please let me know.  If I don't get good
seats to this show, there's a 90% chance that I'll weep incessantly for
the rest of my life.  We wouldn't want that, would we?

Later,
Rusty

P.S.  Cute SPAM post.  Fight SPAM with SPAM.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:13:41 EST
From: JGreenb106@aol.com
Subject: bhagavad gita

the bhagvad gita is a sacred text in Hinduism, with the lord Krishna talking
to Arjuna, a soldier, on his place in life and in religion.  I read it in
history class this year, and every day, sang "kate" in my head as soon as
class started...:)

new album in april, WHOOHOOO!!!

seeya.

ari

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:31:16 -0800
From: Clare <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: You don't have to read this...

Hey- it's acronym time. Now we have BFF or S/T, WEAEA, NBP and TUBORM!
TUBORM! TUBORM! I said it first!
There is a point to this post: I've put a trivia quiz up on my site- all
you people should be able to finish it and then you can have your name in
my ***HALL OF FAME***. All the answers are either in the FAQ or on my
trivia page. Oh yeah and I have no idea what the answer is to the
question (that I think Jon posted)from a couple of ma's ago. But my quiz
is very easy compared to that. TUBORM!
				      -Clare

Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like on jupiter and mars...
						 -Neon Genesis Evangelion
- --
Everyone gather round now...               ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co: