Issue #1415 - February 25, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest  Thursday, February 25 1999  Volume 01 : Number 1415

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    VKTRS
    Re: KATE ARMY
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1414
    Mr. Henry
    Franklin & Marshall
    Re: The Way We Are
    [none]
    Sellout?
    may have come out wrong
    battle single  alt. cover
    Biorhythym-Bill Clinton
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1414
    Re: who made BF5 suck, they ain't cool, legit bentent

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:56:21 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: VKTRS

does anyone have sheet music/chords to video killed the radio star for the
piano?

sanks,
Paul

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:57:21 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Re: KATE ARMY

I see what you mean, but I thought it might be a sequel to Kate because he
divorced her (I think), and therefore, the army must seem alot better to him
now.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:07:57 -0600
From: Mark <s210660@mail.nwmissouri.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1414

Well, I'm leaving this list too. But it's not that they're too 'cool' for
me. It's more like, you are all a bunch of obsessed, teenage losers. I don't
mean any offense, but maybe you guys should experience some new things. Such
as sunshine, and someplace besides high school/jr. high school, and your
house. There is more to life than screaming to people on the internet or to
anyone who will listen that some band rules. We all know that. Just get a
hobby or something. Things I recommend:

1. Listening to *gasp*OTHER cd's. Sorry, I know you'll have to empty your
changer, but them's the breaks.
2. Talking to members of the *gasp* opposite sex.
3. Not being so anal about everything to do with the band. So maybe someone
mistyped the lyrics to a song. Don't rip them a new ass. People make
mistakes, even *gasp* you.
4. Learn the intricate workings of an email editor. If you are so brain-dead
that you can repost more than one armchair by accident, I shudder to think
of the possibilites of you attempting to operate a motor vehicle, owning a
firearm, or drinking from a cup. Which you guys may be doing *gasp* sooner
than we legal adults may think.

In conclusion, a nice big one finger salute to all you obsessive anal preteens.

Love,
Mark.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:31:51 EST
From: PookieB453@aol.com
Subject: Mr. Henry

  A while back, somebody mentioned Mr. Henry on the list, a band who says it
contains a former member of Ben Folds Five.  As it turns out, Tom Spagnardi
(the bass player) apparently used to play with Mr. Folds quite regularly.
Although I'm not completely sure that he would be considered a former member
of BF5, and I'm also admittedly not 100% sure about the source I got it from,
I'm willing to buy it for the time being.  I emailed the group, and that was
the response they gave me, and I see no reason not to believe them.  Truth be
known, they're some very nice chaps, and they're music seems pretty decent.
I'm looking forward to them coming through my part of town, really.
 If you're interested, they've got a couple of .wav's on their site,
http://www.mrhenry.com
 And to further any so-called 'bentent'  I heard an odd rumor that the new BF5
album is a concept album-  has anyone heard anything to this effect?  Thanks
for listening.
~jason~
  <<what??  two posts in two months??  must be a personal record =)  >>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:25:39 EST
From: Wbsmiles@aol.com
Subject: Franklin & Marshall

I might have missed this so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat
request, but does anyone have any info on tickets to the Franklin and Marshall
show?  The show in my area (AU) is students only and I'd hate to miss the only
other show close to me for being slow with getting tickets - thanks!!

Smiles,

Wendy :o)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:26:10 -0600
From: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject: Re: The Way We Are

I wish that Fleming or John would post a few small sound clips of the new
ablum.  Their page links to a SOUNDS archive, but almost all of the songs
just link to lyrics.

I have F&J's older cd, and I want to know what I am buying first! :-)

>Want to hear a NEW Ben Folds song?  Look to the new Fleming & John album,
>'The Way We Are,' which was released today.
>
>Ben arranged track 9, 'Ugly Girl' and provides backing vocals on number 14,
>'I Fall For You.'
>
>The album comes as an enhanced CD, which features a movie documentary of the
>band.  There are some clips of Ben--including him dressed as a marching band
>drummer perched atop a huge cake.  I made some video captures and posted
>them at http://members.tripod.com/ex13/twwa.htm
>
>Fleming & John are one of my favorite bands--I seriously suggest you check
>out the new album, along with their debut 'Delusions of Grandeur.'  They
>ROCK!!
>
>- - Leigh 13
>
>p.s. thumbs up to Russell, Chris, Chandra, Kelly, Pyser, Swimnphish, and
>GTIBean, and thumbs down to Bill for confusing everybody all the more.  I
>still don't get what you meant! Lullabye lullabye lullabye. :-P

- --
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/
christopher@schulte.org

I am poopcutus of Borg.  Resistance is futile!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:33:33 -0500
From: joe s schanderson <schander@juno.com>
Subject: [none]

Just thought you'd all like to read what I sent to "i'm angry and
leaving."

>I'm tired of you ruining bff.

And as one of the older members of the list, I'm tired of people like you
acting like just because you liked a band before another person makes you
something special. All you or ANY of us have ever done is really like a
band. Big deal. We like a band. I certainly hope you have higher
aspirations than that. I do.

michigan joe

Your little "asides" to the old fans, the "true" fans didn't help your
cause. You still ended up sounding like a whiny little brat(or angry
little dwarf).

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:15:58 EST
From: FM3Red5@aol.com
Subject: Sellout?

Hey Kids...

              there is that one part of me that wishes BFF could be the band
that never goes mainstream and could make great underground album after
underground album and just keep going for the love of music...but ya
know...every band wants to be successful...no new band says i wanna make an
album for 5000 people...and do that my whole career...they say i wanna be on
stage at madison square garden rockin' out some awesome song that gets all
30,000 fans jumping up and down screaming the lyrics...sure it sucks that BFF
won't be playing venues the size of my bathroom and everyone won't be able to
sit on stage and other fun stuff that comes with small bands...but ya
know...and those bands that really care about the fans do special things for
the fans...like play songs off of a 1st album..or a rare b-side...or have
advanced tickets or other ways...i'm gonna buy tics to see BFF anywhere i
can...to show my support...so there's a few 13 kids that don't know anything
but brick...or there's the 35yr old contest winner that only knows brick...but
ya know we deal...and that is all of us...all of us are still gonna go...no
matter if its all die-hard fans...or you're the only die-hard fan...well thats
it...can't wait for the new album!

Frank

http://members.aol.com/fm3red5/home.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:34:29 EST
From: BENFOLDS6@aol.com
Subject: may have come out wrong

To all of you who have been emailing me about my post I wasn't talking about
the new fans alltogether, I was talking about the new fans who didn't like Ben
Folds when they first heard them and now suddenly do.  I am not an idiot and I
do realize that Ben Folds needs fans to survive so with that in mind I really
don't care how big they get I just don't like people who weren't fans at first
but jumped on the band wagon when they started to get radio play.  And what I
meant by those types of fans ruining it is shown at their concerts.  I also am
not on some powertrip about being an old fan because I know that BFF was
extremely popular outside the U.S. before I even heard them.  When I talk
about people not liking them and then suddenly loving them a great example
comes to mind.  At the third concert I attended ( right after the second
album) I read an article in a free music publication circulated in Houston
about how poor the album was and that BFF would never make it past this album.
A few months later I saw this same publication at the college I attended and
it was praising the great work that BFF puts out all because of Brick.  So
don't get all bitchy at me.  I never meant to offend any new fans that have
just heard them and thought they were a good band.
later

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:13:28 EST
From: FoldsFive5@aol.com
Subject: battle single  alt. cover

If anybody is interested in tradeing for the Battle of who Could Care Less
import with pyser and supernova on it e-mail me.  Oh its the alternate cover
with ben darren and robert sitting on the porch with the brick wall behind
them.  I saw this item go nuts on e-bay, however im not looking for cash.
anyone interested?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:40:48 EST
From: Slk24kgj@aol.com
Subject: Biorhythym-Bill Clinton

If you guys get a chance to see MTV's Biorhythm on Bill Clinton that aired
last night (TUESDAY), they used Missing the War in the credits which I thought
was awesome considering that they are talking about the president and they
would use a Ben Folds Five song.  It also sounded weird to me, as if it wasn't
from an album but live.  Check it out guys if you have a chance.

- -Doug Kaplan         Slk24kgj@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:00:36 EST
From: Swimnphish@aol.com

So I read Armchair Digest V1 #1414 and almost all the posts are about people
around arguing. And I must say, this is ridiculous. Maybe somewhat said
something kinda stupid, kidding or not. And maybe someone took it upon
themselves to reply and say something they shouldn't. But lets not kill each
other here. I wish we could just talk about BF5 stuff and not how you disagree
with peoples posts. Please E-mail me privately if you have something to say
about this post.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:45:46 EST
From: FineExampl@aol.com
Subject: Re: who made BF5 suck, they ain't cool, legit bentent

What the heck happened to this list??
i remember back when it all that ever happened when someone dissed a band was
they'd get called a lamer and that was that.

It's because of all those band wagon joiners that Ben Folds Five still play.
Wether they play for themselves or they play for the fans is unknown to me,
but i for one am glad they are becoming huge. I used to envy friends of mine
who regularly got to see the best bands because those bands lived in that
area. that was the case with BF5. It was so hard to see them here because they
weren't as big as Green Day or the Backstreet Boys or whatever. Now it's just
a matter of time before i get to see BF5 play and i can count on them to be
here soon.

But do you know who made Ben Folds Five suck?? Douchebags who send mass
insults because a few people are made happy from a man's songs.
So, i guess i shouldn't like the Monkees now because they tried to make a
comeback and failed miserably? Get real!

So to all of you little kids out there who whine and cry because not all of
Ben Folds Five's fans are as cool as you, GROW THE HELL UP.

Has anyone heard the new album or any of the songs from it? I am anxious to
hear it and see what direction the band are going in. If you could email me
privately (maybe post it here as well) about the new album i'd be very
grateful.

Hmm...on another note about the first topic...
There's only two legit reasons anyone should stop liking BF5 after being a fan
for years:
1. Their most recent recordings are not the kind of music you enjoy.
2. Ben held your mom while Robert, Darren, "Jesse", Kate, and Uncle Walter
pummeled her to death.

OK...my 2cents plus about another half dollar.

respectfully yours,
JOhn H., New Jersey
visit me at:   "http://members.aol.com/fineexampl/"