Issue #1416 - February 26, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Friday, February 26 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1416

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

    Bleck
    Hahaha
    bloody friggin' shows in CANADA!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1415
    help me
    Re: a hate mail that I recieved.
    posting is fun! = )
    To Mark.........
    Stop?
    mark-the really cool adult guy
    new album info
    leaving
    Re:  Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1414
    enough is enough

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:10:37 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1414

<< Well, if listening to BFF is "cool," consider me Miles Davis.  >>

this is the funniest thing i have ever read on the chair
leigh...you're awesome

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:21:56 EST
From: Emmaline20@aol.com
Subject: Bleck

Kids kids kids...read the archives of the Magical Armchair please!! This
arguement has been rehashed about a thousand times...

Now for official *Bentent*:
Who's going to the Amherst show???
And I heard from someone that they may be facing legal trouble due to the
title of the soon-to-be-released album...TUBORM...*gasp* can this be true??

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:19:56 EST
From: KrZy29@aol.com
Subject: Hahaha

In a message dated 2/24/99 10:24:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-
armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< 1. Listening to *gasp*OTHER cd's. Sorry, I know you'll have to empty your
 changer, but them's the breaks.
 2. Talking to members of the *gasp* opposite sex.
 3. Not being so anal about everything to do with the band. So maybe someone
 mistyped the lyrics to a song. Don't rip them a new ass. People make
 mistakes, even *gasp* you.
 4. Learn the intricate workings of an email editor. If you are so brain-dead
 that you can repost more than one armchair by accident, I shudder to think
 of the possibilites of you attempting to operate a motor vehicle, owning a
 firearm, or drinking from a cup. Which you guys may be doing *gasp* sooner
 than we legal adults may think. >>

	Well, I'm 16 so, you'd think I'd be offended...well, i'm not...Actually, I
found this extremely amusing.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't want to
offend anyone here but lets face it...a few people on this list are so anal
about everything!  i don't think age determines whether you like a band or not
but.... Stupidity is a good start.  Come on lets face it.  Some people jump
down other's throats just for asking a question...it's mean, pointless, and
stupid.  Now, on a more positive note...I love ben folds five...only you know
how big of a fan you are.  So, don't get offended when other people say you're
not.  In conclusion, I'm just saying we should try to be nicer!

- --Kristina
"There is no sin except stupidity"
- -Oscar Wilde

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:48:57 -0500
From: "Jen Brook" <beep@netrover.com>
Subject: bloody friggin' shows in CANADA!

Valerie wrote:
>>Now, let's get some bloody frigging shows in Canada, DAMMIT!!

No Kidding!  Or at I'd at least settle for some shows in the general
vicinity of the Canadian border ie:Buffalo or Detriot because I'd be
willing to travel.  But noooo...i guess I'll just have to wait like
everyone else.  Also, I wonder who will open for them?  Anyone have any
ideas?

waiting patiently for the time being,
Jen

********
"Werd! Werd up! That was good!!"--Robert Sledge

"It's simple.  He has a small dick and he can't screw!"--Darren Jessee
*********

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:30:50 PST
From: "garrett john weindorf" <garrett78@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1415

hi.

i just wanted to say that theres some really nice points being made on
this list.  its nice to see intelligent people speak eloquently on
something that all of us care so much about.

also, a big fuck you goes out to all the troublemakers (myself
included).

cant wait for the new album
garrett

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:32:59 PST
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: help me

okay. this message is actually for anne kirkwood, but i can't seem to
get my e-mails through to her. i've gotten bounce messages and stuff and
i lost her alternate e-mail addresses, so, anne, if you're reading this,
e-mail me and tell me your other addys again. i was just wondering
whether you've sent my tapes off yet.
sorry bout the non-bentent, at least i'm not whinging about 'real
fans'...

Crystal

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"make a hole with a gun perpendicular
 to the name of this town in a desktop globe"
 --> "Ana Ng", They Might Be Giants

Coming Up For Air -- Crystal's Ben Folds Five page
http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:47:35 -0600
From: Mark <s210660@mail.nwmissouri.edu>
Subject: Re: a hate mail that I recieved.

   Here is a sample of some of the ignorant hate mail I received, which is
further evidence to the immaturity of people on this list.

>hi
>im from the armchair and i dont wanna be bagged out.who fucking gives a
>shit about whether we are preteens or not, and yes, although im not
>exactly a preteen, im 13 which is close enough to it. you know, you
>might be interested to know that most of us"preteens" do *gasp* listen
>to other cds and *gasp*get plenty of fresh air and *gasp* talk to the
>opposite sex and *gasp*do not ass fucking everybody out because they
>typed out lyrics wrongly and *gasp*do not obsess about everything the
>see about the band.

Well, I guess in your 7th grade english class you haven't exactly been
introduced to the *gasp* notion of sarcasm. Do I think that you all do those
things? No. I  was merely using them as examples that demonstrate some of
the mind-numbing stupidity exhibited on the list, mainly by you preteens.

>And another thing is that i find that i am one of the
>youngest armchairers on it, and also a very "young" fan according to
>you, so i take big time offence.

   If I was as anal as you, I'd correct your spelling there. But again, i'm
not one of you 'chair preteens' who gets off on stuff like that.

>you should learn to open your eyes and
>see how many teenagers are on the net and armchair chasing up ben folds
>five....not very many preteens i must say.
>so go ass fuck yourself and next time you write a letter bagging out
>other people get your facts right.

   The point of my post was that you all come across as being stupid, anal,
and just plain immature. And even though you may or may not be any of those
things, really, you should try to at least pretend to have a little more
sense than you do. And since I'm not in junior high anymore, I'm not
impressed by your mastery of crude and vulgar language. I'm also happy you
can use the internet to display your full mastery of the finer points of the
English language, since if you threw those words around at home, you could
get sent to bed without any supper. You kiss your mother with that mouth?

>from somebody who is 13 and YOU wouldnt be caught dead being seen with!

Damn Straight. Anyways, as any of you might imagine, I've gonna quite a few
private emails in response to my post. The ratio now is 2 to 1 in support of
me. For you preteens, that's twice as many people agree with me as disagree
with me. And like I said above, the point of my post was that even if you
are immature, at least pretend to be for the sake of everyone else on this
list.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 03:11:46 -0600
From: "Matt Jacobs" <mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: posting is fun! = )

Hi I'm Matty.  Long time listener, second or third time caller (poster, =
whatever).  Just thought I would write a message to you guys, the people =
who have entertained me for the last couple of years.  Okay, the =
armchair is a little testy right now, but 'sokay by me because there is =
still tons of good stuff in here.  I like listening to you guys and I =
thought you all should know. =20

I also would like to say that I am happy.

Finally, I can't wait to hear the new album and I can't wait to hear =
about it from the privelaged few who get to hear it early. =20

Keep on rockin' in the free world and watch out where them huskies go,
Matty J

smile.....

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
matty j.
mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu
AIM- Lifeisski
ICQ# 25174853

If you want to be happy, be.
 Leo Tolstoy

My philosophy
Keeps me walking when I'm falling down
 Ben Folds (Five)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:10:57 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: To Mark.........

<<<Things I recommend:

1. Listening to *gasp*OTHER cd's. Sorry, I know you'll have to empty your
changer, but them's the breaks.
2. Talking to members of the *gasp* opposite sex.
3. Not being so anal about everything to do with the band. So maybe someone
mistyped the lyrics to a song. Don't rip them a new ass. People make
mistakes, even *gasp* you.
4. Learn the intricate workings of an email editor. If you are so brain-dead
that you can repost more than one armchair by accident, I shudder to think
of the possibilites of you attempting to operate a motor vehicle, owning a
firearm, or drinking from a cup. Which you guys may be doing *gasp* sooner
than we legal adults may think.>>>

All right, I already do most of those things you reccomend buddy, just because
you might have been a complete loser/poser when you were a teen, doesn't mean
all other teems are too. And also, have you ever condtructed a sentence
without *gasp* saying *gasp*? And if you're gonna call all the teens
immature.....don't give 'em the  finger via email, asshole.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:16:22 EST
From: Astro111@aol.com
Subject: Stop?

Okay, we have all gotten out our feelings. Lets stop arguing. We all say we
want the MA to be great and we want to talk solely about BFF, but we say so in
a complaining way, that has nothing to do with BFF.
So, to start this off:
I can't wait for the new album! And I have an idea for all of you out there
who want the promo posters that'll come out with the new album. Go to your
local music store NOW and ask them if they can put your name down as having
"dibs" on the posters. The store around me did just that, and now I can be
sure I'll get whatever is left after they take them down :)
YAY!
Also, does anyone know if they are continuing their tour past late April and
in around the same vicinity (North east) I'd go to the website, but my
broweser won't work. Ah!
Thanks a bunch!
- -RobinA
"Yeah, I'm crazy but I get the job done."
P.S. shirts?????

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:08:47 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: mark-the really cool adult guy

mark i'm really sorry to see you *gasp* go
it's kind of sad that you *gasp* think we are just a bunch of little kids
but really by *gasp* stereotyping everyone and *gasp* treating us like
children you make yourself into one of the *gasp* idiots you claim that we are
thank you for that *gasp* post it was very impressive and i'm glad you got to
*gasp* show how superior you are to us "kids"

your *gasp* pal
ben

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:17:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: new album info

Just something to look forward to--those of you who have the Garden Place
cd may recognize track 3 on the new album.  Different, but good.  "Redneck
Past" isn't a song, either.  It's something much funnier.

Ginger :)

Ginger Nance
gnance@email.unc.edu
http://www.unc.edu/~gnance

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 00:16:40 -0500
From: joe s schanderson <schander@juno.com>
Subject: leaving

As i've posted before over the years....

if you want to leave this list ......JUST LEAVE. Noone cares why you're
leaving except you and POSSIBLY your mom.

follow the instructions, unsubscribe and LEAVE.

michigan joe

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:22:14 EST
From: Mookie9@aol.com

amen, nate!

I would also like to say thank you, in advance, to those of y'all on this list
who shall choose to "bow out gracefully," as it were, when unsubscribing
instead of wasting half an armchair telling us why youre leaving. I cant for
the life of me figure out what this accomplishes.

longing for the day when we have something new to talk about,
     molly-o

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:23:11 EST
From: Granianite@aol.com
Subject: enough is enough

now, i never do this....comment on arguments that people have on the email
lists i get, i mean.  i just think this one in particular is so stupid.  it's
been argued about off and on for atleast the past year that i've been on this
list am i'm pretty sick of it.  so here's my 2 cents, in the words of a great
man....

"the world is full of ugly things that you can't change.  pretend it's not
that way, that's my idea of faith.  you can blow it off and say there's good
in nearly everyone,  just give them all a chance."

i was a fan long before the whole brink phenomenon happened, but that doesn't
mean i'm going to begrudge everyone else their right to love ben as much as i
do.  i mean, come on now, people....you can't tell me that every band that you
listen to now you knew about before they made it.  and if you do, i just don't
believe you.  i as much as anyone, i can sympathize with those of you who are
maybe a little upset that your secret about this great band got out and now
they're played on the radio.  almost all of my favorite bands either are still
very small and unheard of or were not so very long ago.  it bothers me
sometimes that so many people have started to like them and claimed them as
their own, but then i realize that i do things like repping for them.....that
i'm one of the ones who helped (in my own little way :) ) to get them where
they are....and i'll be able to say "i knew them before they made it."  every
band started small at one time, and then they had that one song that helped
them hit it big.  think about it.....you wouldn't have heard of lots of the
bands you love now unless they had been on the radio first.  yeah it's a pain
to have to pay outrageous prices to see bands you once saw for next to nothing
and to be pounded on all sides by people who only know the words to one song,
but while you're paying the money and getting bombarded just smile and
remember the good times you once had and imagine those you're going to
have.....ones that might not have been possible if ben hadn't hit it big.
yeah, remember that....bands don't last forever, i'm sorry to say.....just be
happy that you got to hear ben and all of the other great bands out there
while you could!  so please, just accept your fellow fans for who they are,
accept the fact that our boys have made it big, and hope that it lasts for a
long time to come....i know i do.   ~jill