Issue #1419 - February 28, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Sunday, February 28 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1419

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    bff tour
    like what you like
    Shut Up Already!
    BINGO!
    Ben on Mtv!! wooohoo!
    Re: Chicago Show
    now people. . .
    Awas hati-hati, armchairers!
    chicago date??
    brick kicks
    album track listing

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:11:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Gugick <gugick2@TCNJ.EDU>
Subject: bff tour

Does anyone know ticket info for the tla or irving plaza shows???? Please
post asap if anyone has any information.

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:49:48 EST
From: James R Klinkert <klinkertj@juno.com>
Subject: like what you like

you know, i promised myself i wouldnt respond to this whole mark mess,
but you know, who even cares what kind of people like bff? yes perhaps
some people are exploiting the band, but in truth everyone deserves the
right to like whoever they please.. and when the fad dies out, so will
they. so keep your pants on man.

lovie

brenda rae

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:51:15 EST
From: YourPalCM@aol.com
Subject: Shut Up Already!

You know, you people bust me up.  I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with
the *gasp* guy, but there seems to be no end to the responses to the *gasp*
guy ON the list - responses which acknowledge the fact that THE GUY HAS
UNSUBSCRIBED!  If the guy has unsubscribed, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU RESPONDING?
Just to show people that you can be angry and hostile JUST LIKE THE *GASP*
GUY?  If the *gasp* guy was such a moron, why do you even feel the need to
give him the pleasure of a response?  SHUT UP ALREADY.  Please, someone wake
me up when there is something intelligent posted on this list.

Your Pal,
Chris Mal

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:54:00 EST
From: YourPalCM@aol.com
Subject: BINGO!

In a message dated 2/26/99 9:42:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-
armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< And to all of you teens out there who take offense to  his
 comments and write nasty vulgar-language filled emails, you are only
 working to further prove his point. >>

BINGO!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:41:01 EST
From: SHAP99@aol.com
Subject: Ben on Mtv!! wooohoo!

Hey all of you fiesty fans
There is reason for that fiesty... ; )
I was just wondering if ANYONE else saw the interview with Ben and William
Shatner on Mtv News 1515 last week. ONLY one other person i know actually
caught it and hes not even a fan... oh wellz
oh and just out of wonderment... is anyone going to see Elliott Smith in
Gainesville?
Im so happy SOMEONE IS TOURING IN FLORIDA!!! wooohooo! I missed Rufus
Wainwright in September with lisa loeb.. =*(
BFF BETTER GET FLORIDA ON THE TOUR!!!! I heard Jude at HOB via internet last
night. I didnt find out he was in orlando till last night =*( sooo sad. oh
wellz, email me if your thinkin about seeing elliott smith.
VIVA BFF!!
lov ya!!
- --->jez
oh yeah... Elliott Smith is on SNL this weekend (its a repeat)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:39:59 EST
From: KenElbow@aol.com
Subject: Re: Chicago Show

I would like to second Sarah's notion of anyone who has information on the
show in Chicago on May 3 please post or email me.  And by the way Sarah,
you're lucky to have a roomate who likes Ben Folds Five as much as you do.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:29 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: now people. . .

i like ben folds five

i like to listen to them
it's good stuff
yea..i'm a post-brick fan, but i live in iowa, how else would i hear about
them?
i own all of their cds and consider them to be my favorite band
i try to "spread the sunshine" and have gotten others hooked too
i'm not their biggest fan, i don't worship them as god or travel the country
to see live shows
instead i listen to their music and it moves me, it makes me think
their music reminds me of some of the best times i've ever had
i'm just a "little" kid though, a mere 17 years that i've been around

i like ben folds five. . . is that okay with you?

i have every characteristic of someone who is "evil" (except the bandwagon
thing, not many people dig BFF around here) but there is no way you can't call
me a true fan of the band, any of my friends will tell you that ben folds five
is like crack for me, let's get over this entire i'm a better fan than you are
battle, it was funny at first but it's a little old now

ben

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:17:54 -0000
From: "Mia  Melena Davy" <thames@chickmail.com>
Subject: Awas hati-hati, armchairers!

In an attempt to MOVE ON from our pointless altercations with each other, I've just spotted an article that mentioned BFF in The Advertiser, an Adelaide newspaper, so I thought I would share. It's about the Adelaide A-List, the socially elite etc. of the
city, and apparently Charlie Hill-Smith is one of them. When BFF visited Adelaide last year they were guests at one of his infamous parties at "The Silvermine", his party house, which is a house that actually has a silver mine right in it...Well, this is
what Charlie boy thought of the guys - "Southern American popsters and colossal perverts". Ho-hum...I wonder what he means by colossal perverts...
The thing that REALLY annoys me is that he calls them THE Ben Folds Five. If he introduced them to people like that at his party I am going to personally go over to his little mine and sort him out myself. Sure, it's just a name, but what would the guys h
ave thought about him and our city? They might never come back! Anyway, at least the article has a nice little picture of them. Even if it DOES say THE Ben Folds Five in the caption underneath...
Sincerely yours,
Amy ")

"Why are you always throwing satiric rhetoric at me?" -Erez

***********************************
chickclick.com
http://www.chickclick.com
girl sites that don't fake it.
http://www.chickmail.com
sign up for your free email.
***********************************

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:16:13 CST
From: "Emily Huschen" <tillie82@hotmail.com>
Subject: chicago date??

Did my little eyes betray me, or did someone say something about a
Chicago show??  Could someone please email me privately about this....to
say the least, I'm extremely interested.

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:45:44 PST
From: "AnnieSue Grad" <littlemeggiry@hotmail.com>
Subject: brick kicks

Yo,
you know what? The only reason I didn't like brick for a while was
because it was overplayed. So: I didn't listen to it for three months.
And you know what now? I love the song. Why? Because Ben wrote it, it
has a beautiful melody, and a powerful story.
So my question for EVERYONE out there is:
"What IS wrong with liking 'brick'?"
I sure as hell don't see anything wrong with it.
Also: any 13-year-old who likes bff is good enough for me.
Annie

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:38:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Ginger Nance <gnance@email.unc.edu>
Subject: album track listing

Narcolepsy
Don't Change Your Plans
Mess
Magic
Hospital Song
I Thought About the Army (NOT related to Kate at all, fyi)
Redneck Past/Your Most Valuable Possession (not sure which is the actual
name of this "track," my guess is Your Most...)
Regrets
Jane
Lullabye

Oh, if anyone's going to Amherst or Lancaster, Sandi and I will be there,
front and center!  It's gonna be a blast, we're trying to get a friend of
ours who would be known to BFF fans to go with us.  And one last thing...I
usually keep out of these "new fan/old fan/bad fan" discussions, but I've
been on this list long enough to hear way too much of this crap, and it
hasn't scared me off so I really don't give a rat's ass about who else it
bothers.  To borrow an oft-used and well loved MA phrase...that's my 2
cents on all of this!

Ginger :)

Ginger Nance
gnance@email.unc.edu