Issue #1423 - March 3, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, March 3 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1423

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    FANatic
    new cd
    TLA Shows
    (no subject)
    Happy Happy Joy Joy
    tour
    Ozzy Osbourne? No. Give me BF5!
    CMJ charts

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 18:51:04 -0600
From: Don Curtis <dcurtis@iastate.edu>
Subject: FANatic

if someone has the Ben Folds Five fanatic episode on tape and wouldn't mind
copying it and sending it to me for an archive of bff MP3's, almost a whole
cd of mp3's (all three cds, live, boots, and misc imports)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:12:33 EST
From: Swimnphish@aol.com
Subject: new cd

i'm sure this has been mentioned many-a-time but when is Ben Folds Five's new
album coming out?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 23:43:48 -0500
From: "M. Pratt" <mpratt@voicenet.com>
Subject: TLA Shows

Hey, Chairites,

The TLA shows (WOOHOOO!!!)  are April 20 and 21 (not the 19th and 20th as
originally reported).  Tickets go on sale Saturday, March 6, and the price
is $15.50.
How do I know?  I called the TLA.
The TLA is small (1500, I think) and is GA only, so get your tickets early,
kids.

See you all there,

Maria

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 00:22:11 -0500
From: Emily Siegel <k98es01@kzoo.edu>
Subject: (no subject)

subscribe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 10:58:10 -0500
From: "Leigh 13" <leigh13@mindless.com>
Subject: Happy Happy Joy Joy

I haven't seen this posted to the MA yet...

from http://www.flemingandjohn.com/road.html

<<This Just In! Fleming & John will be doing 3 weeks of shows with Ben Folds
Five, starting in mid-April. Stay tuned for more details and itinerary. >>

If you didn't guess (maybe you wouldn't if you didn't know me), I am
ecstatic about this!!  This is going to be an unreal tour--see y'all at the
shows!

- - Leigh 13

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:24:35 PST
From: "B. C." <emaline3@hotmail.com>
Subject: tour

hee hee, these arguments are quite amusing

***

Argh!  The only show in Canada is before I get back!  A concert in
Hollland before may 15th would be nice.

It seems I'll never get to see them live...argh!

...Becca

***
"You can't deny reality.  I tried once, and I wound up running across a
field with my pants onn fire and an old man with a shotgun  chasing me."
- ---Jack Handey

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:02:41 -0800
From: Matt Hutaff <hutaff@scf.usc.edu>
Subject: Ozzy Osbourne? No. Give me BF5!

Hey guys,

Let me just say I'm a new subscriber to the Armchair. I had always hoped

that us BF5 fans could group together and discuss the band, and now I've

found it.

A couple weeks ago I would have sworn that the only thing I'd ever
listen to is Metallica and other assorted metal music. I was never a
part of the alternative scene. Then a friend showed me a little band
called Ben Folds Five. Wow. I burned all my Quiet Riot vinyls right
away. Toto too. I cannot believe I was so ignorant to not have heard of
Ben Folds and his remarkable trio of musicians.

So I picked up Whatever and Ever Amen. Triple WOW! "Brick" blew me away.

It's so gloomy and eerily depressing, yet I'm drawn to the piano work at

the beginning like a moth to flame. "Off the coast, heading nowhere"?
YOU TELL IT BEN!

People say that "Brick" and "Smoke" and "Cigarette" are depressing. NOT
ME. After listening to Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne who glorify
everything wrong in today's society, it's REFRESHING to see a band like
BF5 come into its own.

I cannot wait until I get to see my now favorite band. I am also EAGERLY

anticipating any new album. YES! I'm going out tomorrow and picking up
their self-titled album. I've heard that "Boxing" and "Underground" are
awesome.

Just before I sign off, I'm wondering if anyone caught the live concert
of theirs with Beck and if they got it on tape? I'd kill to check that
out!

Peace everyone! Bang that piano!

Sincerely,
Ragin' BF5-er

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:59:19 -0600
From: "Matt Jacobs" <mbjacobs@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: CMJ charts

I just thought that everybody (who likes Fear of Pop) will be happy to =
know that Fear of Pop Vol. 1 is number EIGHT on CMJ's top 75 for radio =
ariplay.
If you ask me, THAT ROCKS!

Just thought I would share...

matty J