Issue #1430 - March 10, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, March 10 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1430

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    http://dc.jones.com/~evan/
    ARMY!!
    ben in adelaide
    Evaporated
    Army on JJJ
    March 9th
    Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bass stuff again...
    BFF new cd, in aust???
    oh just heard a bff song on TV!
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1429
    April 18 show in Lanc
    breakfast show
    Ben moving to Adelaide!!!!!!?
    Sheffield and Manchester shows
    Evolution of a list
    Opening Acts?

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 20:59:24 -0500
From: Evan Quinto <evan@dc.jones.com>
Subject: http://dc.jones.com/~evan/

http://dc.jones.com/~evan/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:06:39 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: ARMY!!

so what did people listening to JJJ
think??!! i thought it was great!
i've listened to it a few times, and
it's growing on me.
1st time i heard it, me and gem were
only half listening, coz we were sort
of 'siamese-twinned' by my walkman, and
trying to sign on at school at the same
time. but it's a top song!
can't wait for the album!!!
JANET  =)

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:09:31 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: ben in adelaide

oops, forgot.
ben also said that he's going to be
living in adelaide for the time being.
he's in australia at the moment. i thought
it was gonna be a phone interview, but
i was wrong. he reckons they're going
to have kids. i think that's good. (if
it's true)... THE FOLDS NAME MUST LIVE ON!
from JANET  =)

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:49:05 CST
From: "Lauren Talbot" <muffyhead98@hotmail.com>
Subject: Evaporated

     Does anyone know where I can find a website with the piano part to
"Evaporated"?

*Lauren Talbot
*The Website of Who Could Care Less
*http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Balcony/2078
*lauren_elizab84@hotmail.com
*ICQ - 16480620

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:56:26 +1030
From: Ben Williams <ben@tne.net.au>
Subject: Army on JJJ

there are probably going to be heaps of posts about this, but anyway.
here's mine.

I heard Ben's interview on JJJ this morning, it was really funny. they
talked for a bit, played Fear of Pop, talked, played Army, talked some
more, then finished by playing In Love. it was pretty cool. (For those
non-aussie residents, JJJ is a national youth radio station.)

Army rocks! i love it. it has some brass and strings bits on it from
memory, it was very very cool indeed. rock out.

The other thing is, he said the album was going to be released on April
27th, so those people saying 19th, that date was wrong. another 9 days
to wait ;-)

>From Ben.
- --
Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:39:18 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: March 9th

Happy Birthday Robert Sledge!!!

- -Paul

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:57:49 PST
From: "Natalie Graham" <ncgraham@hotmail.com>
Subject: Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey to all,

I'm so happy Ben is moving to Adelaide; I can't believe he and Frall are
havin' kids but.........anyhow, the story he told about "Army" and how
the guys named TUBORM were soooooooo funny, my god, I'm so high, and I
taped the whole thing so I can listen to it over and over.

Anyhow, for everyone in Australia, Ben's gonna be on the Fox sometime
this week (maybe Wednesday) during Ugly Phil - and for anyone in
Melbourne, Ben's gonna be doing an interview on Triple R between
4pm-7pm.

"My ex-wives all despise me"

Army - Ben Folds Five

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:11:14 +1100
From: "The Funky Dudes" <frenzal@emunet.com.au>
Subject: Bass stuff again...

>the fuzz thing Robert uses heaps can be
>expensive, you'll need some kind of effects pedal, not just bass + amp.
>Guitar effects don't really work well with bass, but you might be able
>to get a cheap guitar distortion pedal that will kinda sound like it.

The pedal Robert use's is a Big Muff Pi reissue made by electro-harmonix.
Surprisingly enough it's one of the cheaper units around, i picked mine up
for about $150 Aus (about $80us). I had this before i even heard of Ben
Folds
and I think it is the best sounding fuzz box out there, next to the
original, which
is the more expensive option. (it's also made for a guitar, Jimi used one of
the originals as his main distortion pedal). But it's true, it's hard to
play
any BFF stuff without one.

One thing I am curious about  is that Robert has taken to using an
ocatave pedal at live gigs, and I'm wondering if anyone on the list knows
what brand he uses? (the best on is the Octabass by far!)

>Then to Matt/"The Funky Dudes":
>Dude! i am offended. at least you said "a rough idea" - very very rough.
>in the case of BFF, incredibly rough, like 5% tops. Ben is good in that
>he is not incredibly left-hand heavy, so he leaves room for Robert to
>play what he wants. The stuff Robert plays is almost always (like, 95%
>of the time) different to the left hand stuff Ben plays. Listen closely.
>As for shut your eyes and play...you got that right. Feel it and enjoy
>it.

I must explain myself more, follow Bens left hand because it's easier
than roberts bass lines. Besides, i really disagree with you abhout Ben
not having a beefy left hand. I believe that's it's Bens left appendage
being so strong that allows Robert to freestyle and break out of the
usual bass mode. (I remember a quote about robert saying that he just
tries to play like hendrix..or something).

What do pianists think??

ok..so it has all three instruments, most books usually dont!

MAtt!

Keep rocking Ben :Þ (from this list)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:08:54 +1100
From: nina <doves@eisa.net.au>
Subject: BFF new cd, in aust???

hey guys,
i dont usually post, just read the armchairs..but i had a lil question
bff new cd is said to come out sometime in the next few months, anyone
have any idea when it will be realsed in Australia?...maybe someone's
already asked the question, so sorry is ya have! hehe maybe i havent
payed enough attention, but if anyone knows can they let me know..thanks
*smiles and waves all around*
- -Evie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 18:13:43 +1100
From: nina <doves@eisa.net.au>
Subject: oh just heard a bff song on TV!

hehe ok ok so i sent a post a few mins ago, but i had to say
"oooh wow"
bff keeps getting more and more popular over here, they're were playing
a bff song as an opening song for dawsons creek tonite, and i had a few
friends go "oh i liked that song, who was it?"
ill meantion bff and they're like "what? who?"
so i found it amazing that people are actually aware now :)
ok thats all, you prob found that boring, but i had to tell someone!
*jumps around* hehe
seeyas
- -Evie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 02:42:22 EST
From: GTIbean@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1429

i know someone is going to end up making an mp3 of Army
so if they would be kind enough to hit me with an e-mail so i can hear it

i will love you forever

ben

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:42:09 PST
From: "Joyce S" <shotzy_t@hotmail.com>
Subject: April 18 show in Lanc

Hi Armchairites!

I am driving to Lancaster from Pittsburgh to attend the April 18th show
at Franklin & Marshall. If there are any students or Lancaster residents
on the Armchair who could give me any inside info on parking, campus
layout, best time to arrive, etc., please contact me at
shotzy_t@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Linda

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:14:00 PST
From: "Crystal Cooper" <crystal_bf5@hotmail.com>
Subject: breakfast show

ben was on jjj's breakfast show this morning. i actually took the day
off school, told my mum that i have to work on an english assignment, so
i could catch ben's interview. pretty slack ass i know, but i couldn't
miss the worldwide debut of army!

i put up a transcript of the interview here at
http://members.xoom.com/DrPyser265/bf5/breakfast.html

it's pretty funny - an explanation of why they named the cd what they
have, and a bunch of fear of pop stuff, as well as an explanation of
army. and more... i've now got this opinion that australia kicks ass,
cause we get ben folds in adelaide and ya'll who're overseas don't. ok,
it's a damn long drive from here, but... the same country...
ok. army. i really liked that a lot. actually i've rewound that tape
about 40 times now, and it's not even one day old. anyone who's heard it
(or anyone who hasn't, i put the lyrics on the above page as well, go
and read them), need i say more than mullet? he he he...

'son, you're fucking high'
counting the days down - i think it's 49 days till april 27th now...
Crystal

‘uh, we have a messner, khhk, uh, reinhold messner, 27, and another mr
reinhold... messner, 27’
- -ben

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:59:39 -0000
From: "Mia  Melena Davy" <thames@chickmail.com>
Subject: Ben moving to Adelaide!!!!!!?

WHOOOOOOOHOOOO!!! Ben Folds is moving to Adelaide!! The very city that I live in! With his girlfriend, damn it! Is anyone else as excited as I am??! He could be moving right next door to me...This is the best news I have heard all year!
And you know, I think this just may have something to do with me...I asked a question on the official site when it was available, about when Ben was going to move here with his Adelaidean girlfriend...I think all Australians now have something to thank me for.
Ben was so hilarious on the jjj Breakfast Show!! Hehehe..."you're going to jail...You can't fight!". Mm-hmm. One funny man. Oh, and Army rocks too.

amy

"He ate a peanut butter jelly sandwich and smoked some hash" - Ben on Reinhold's historic climb

***********************************
chickclick.com
http://www.chickclick.com
girl sites that don't fake it.
http://www.chickmail.com
sign up for your free email.
***********************************

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:40:53 GMT0BST
From: "M.J. SPENCELAYH" <bmbmjs@south-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Sheffield and Manchester shows

Do any of the residents of the mighty benfolds mailng list have
contact numbers for tickets to these shows (Manchester and
Sheffield)?

Thanks

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 08:44:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: Randall Kreidel II <z_kreidelrj@TITAN.SFASU.EDU>
Subject: Evolution of a list

I recieved this through another list I am on, and thought it applied
beautifully to the Armchair, at least through the almost 2 years I've been
on it. It's espescially interestig because it applied to list I got it
from, which is of a more political/activism nature. Sorry, but it is a bit
long, but I figred most of you would get a kick out it, maybe learn a
little bit about our little list.......

The Natural Life Cycle Of Mailing Lists

Every list seems to go through the same cycle:

1.Initial enthusiasm (people introduce themselves, and gush a lot about how
wonderful it is to find kindred souls).

2.Evangelism (people moan about how few folks are posting to the list, and
brainstorm recruitment strategies).

3.Growth (more and more people join, more and more lengthy threads develop,
occasional off-topic threads pop up).

4.Community (lots of threads, some more relevant than others; lots of
information and advice is exchanged; experts help other experts as well as
less experienced colleagues; friendships develop; people tease each other;
newcomers are welcomed with generosity and patience; everyone -- newbie and
expert alike -- feels comfortable asking questions, suggesting answers, and
sharing opinions).

5.Discomfort with diversity (the number of messages increases dramatically;
not every thread is fascinating to every reader; people start complaining
about the signal-to-noise ratio; person 1 threatens to quit if *other*
people don't limit discussion to person 1's pet topic; person 2 agrees with
person 1; person 3 tells 1 & 2 to lighten up; more bandwidth is wasted
complaining about off-topic threads than is used for the threads
themselves; everyone gets annoyed).

6.Finally:
1.Smug complacency and stagnation (the purists flame everyone who asks an
'old' question or responds with humor to a serious post; newbies are
rebuffed; traffic drops to a doze-producing level of a few minor issues;
all interesting discussions happen by private email and are limited to a
few participants; the purists spend lots of time self-righteously
congratulating each other on keeping off-topic threads off the list).

OR 2.Maturity (a few people quit in a huff; the rest of the participants
stay near stage 4, with stage 5 popping up briefly every few weeks; many
people wear out their second or third 'delete' key, but the list lives
contentedly ever after).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:12:00 EST
From: Slk24kgj@aol.com
Subject: #5

					"Where have you gone Joe Dimmagio,
						A nation turns it's lonely eyes to you"
										-Simon & Garfunkel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 12:27:32 -0500
From: Devin Edwards <deedward@vt.edu>

I would also like you to email me privately if you are making these
Mp3's
Thanks,

Devin
deedward@vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:49:37 EST
From: NEWR0CK@aol.com
Subject: Opening Acts?

hola fellow armchairer's,

I'm so excitd on Friday I will go to the Box Office and
get my Irving Plaza tickets. Also since the first show is the
day the new cd is supposed to come out do you think there will
be an in store im hoping because 2 whole days of bff and no lax
practise would be great.
anyway has the opening act been confirmed yet?i would love to see
travis and robbie fulks again but i doubt they would repeat openers.

peace,love,music,
mcgregor