Issue #1434 - March 12, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Friday, March 12 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1434

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    So, you wanna hear Army?
    think about it
    The merrymakers
    Chicago Show
    throw us a bone here
    whatever and ever
    Hey, I'm a pianist...
    JJJ Interview and time differences
    JJJ interview
    army on my website.
    seank's comment on "benjy" folds
    study finds ben lee much like bff
    jjj interview repeat edit
    Re: JC Superstar Quote

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:35:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Jodie Poole <jodiepoole@yahoo.com>
Subject: So, you wanna hear Army?

> Well, the good news is kids that the JJJ interview us Aussies have
been
> raving about will be repeated tom (Friday) morning.  Any *you* can
all hear
> it via real audio.  Go to http://www.abc.net.au/triplej and click on
the
> links through to Listen.
> It'll be on anytime from 7-9am here, and I believe we are 13 hrs
ahead of
> New York time, so that would make it 8-9pm New York time Friday
evening.
> And I believe it'll be about 2-3pm London time on Friday arvo.  BUT
DON'T

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:00:24 PST
From: "Lauren Davis" <emaline83@hotmail.com>
Subject: think about it

did any of you ever think that Ben was lying about moving to Adelaide?
He is known for his lying.  besides, if he moves, shouldn't the rest of
the band move too?  or are they going to break up.  it doesn't make any
sense.

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:13:39 +1300 (NZDT)
From: Dave <virgil99@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: The merrymakers

hi everyone...this is just a message for all those Jellyfish fans who dont
know yet......

The new Merrymakers album "Bubblegun" is coproduced by exJellyfish frontman
Andy Sturmer....this is one of the first major releases that sturmer has
done since the split up.......its good...i recommend!!

also....a new Umajets album entitled "Swollen and Tender" is due for
release fairly soon....so keep your eyesa peeled

do write if you want anymore info

later

DD

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:37:34 EST
From: Sarah85520@aol.com
Subject: Chicago Show

Anyone in the chicago area planning on going to the May show at Park West,
please let me know!!! Thanx Mucho!!!

       Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:59:20 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: throw us a bone here

eternal sorries for the double post but is ANYONE making an mp3 of army or do
we americans have to be content with just reading the lyrics for a while?

huh?

huh?

well?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:57:34 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: whatever and ever

ok...anyone know what happened to the show at tuft university near boston
(medford actually) in may?  it was on the page and then it wasn't.  it's
students only but i reckon by then i should (i hope) be accepted or i can get
a hook-up from friends who go there or i can just show up and act pathetic
until they let me in.  also, what is the address for the real audio for jjj
and what is the time difference between EST and jjj time?  14 hours? oh, and
taves...
'i must be mad thinking
I'll be remembered, yes
I must be out of my head...
something soemthing...(look at your blank faces)
my name will mean nothing
ten minutes after I'm dead'

Paul

did you know that the original soundtrack for jcss is one of ben's favs?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:22:11 EST
From: PookieB453@aol.com
Subject: Hey, I'm a pianist...

Okay, now I've done it-  I've cut and pasted part of a previous list...what
has this world come to?

> I must explain myself more, follow Bens left hand because it's easier
>  than roberts bass lines. Besides, i really disagree with you abhout Ben
>  not having a beefy left hand. I believe that's it's Bens left appendage
>  being so strong that allows Robert to freestyle and break out of the
>  usual bass mode. (I remember a quote about robert saying that he just
>  tries to play like hendrix..or something).
>
>  What do pianists think??
>
>  ok..so it has all three instruments, most books usually dont!
>
>  MAtt!
>
>  Keep rocking Ben :Þ (from this list)

   Anyway-  As a pianist, I'd go about midway-- there's absolutely no question
that Mr. Folds is an incredibly talented musician.  Truth be told, I have yet
to see either of the sheet music books.  What music of their's I couldn't
figure out on my own I begged for from other, more talented BF5 pianist
friends. (and quit laughing at the word 'pianist')

	From what my friends and I could figure out, the piano bass range is (and I
hesitate to use this phrase about *anything* related to bf5) pretty standard--
not easy, yet not too bad.  I think this is definitely the result of mr. folds
singing while playing, as well as worrying about harmonies and that blasted
upper range, which seems to be on the tear quite regularly.  And i definitely
agree that this gives robert some serious freedom to play around.  Either way,
I can't wait to try my hands at the new stuff =)
(oh, and I also agree-  **keep rockin' guys!**)
thanks fer listenin'
  jason

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:14:55 +0800
From: jodiep@kestral.com.au
Subject: JJJ Interview and time differences

Hi again,
       Just a quick note to let you know that I completely stuffed up those
time differences in my last post.  My head hurts from trying to work it
out, so I'll leave it with you guys!

Good luck!
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:18:47 +0800
From: jodiep@kestral.com.au
Subject: JJJ interview

I think the interview will be replayed 3pm Thursday, New York time.  OK,
I'll stop bugging you all now.  I just want everyone to hear army!  Go to
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 03:08:40 -0800 (PST)
From: "Jordan W." <tuo2@rocketmail.com>
Subject: army on my website.

Well, it's all well and good to make a comeback.

i have most of Army up in realaudio on my site.

listen to it :)

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/battlefield/8540

then go to music and realaudio. right there.

Checks lovingly accepted. ;)

listen and love it.

Australia rocks me like outer space.

aussie aussie aussie!!! oi!! oi!! oi!!

Jordan

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 03:55:39 PST
From: "Renee Couture" <renjc1258@hotmail.com>
Subject: seank's comment on "benjy" folds

 I personally agree with you, sean. Why would a North Carolina boy move
"down under"? To be a thousand miles away from Jesse and Sledge? To have
a 15 20 hours commute to L.A. or N.Y.? If your girlfriend was pregnant,
(if they were married there would of been a press release)do you want to
be that far way, from her when recording and touring.

Is Mr Folds himself, reading the MA chuckling. If I was listening to the
radio in Boston, I would believe him if he said he wanted to move up
here, but he wouldn't, he has no reason to.

How much are the tix at Amherst, I know URI is 18 dollars

Renee

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:15:29 PST
From: "garrett john weindorf" <garrett78@hotmail.com>
Subject: study finds ben lee much like bff

i dont know if this has been discussed, but i've just heard the ben lee
song "cigarettes will kill you" and it sounds very, VERY much like BFF.
check into it... its pretty rockin--

 ben lee's voice is a very nice mix of 90% ben folds and 10% michael
stipe (of rem fame)...

 garrett

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:39:13 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: jjj interview repeat edit

those of you listening to the morning show today would have already
figured out that they only played a small part of the entire interview
and also that there was some serious editing going on. What I cant
understand is why jjj would edit 'fucking' in 'dad said you're fucking
high' when they are swear-word-friendly usually?!, plus they messed up
the start of the song... bit of a suck for all the people who rang up
adam to replay it (good work children!) and those others who missed it

i still cant decide about the disorientation festival... the brisbane
city gardens can be such a sucky venue with thousands of qut students
around.... but i love the whitlams... ay me.

my afterschool drama kids are so gorgeous, I'm sure at least 3 of them
could be oscar winners if they so chose....

okay now i'm stalling

taves

'ohhhhh oohhh think i'll write a screenplay
ohhhhh ohhhh think i'll take you to LA
ohhhhh ohhhh think i'll get it done yesterday-ay'

i love that bit, where we finally hear darren and robert (and it stops
sounding like a solo effort)

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:23:55 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Re: JC Superstar Quote

Unless I'm mistaken, Sir Andy only wrote the music to that show, I'm too lazy
to look at the record, but he isn't a lyricicst.

<<<'i must be mad thinking
I'll be remembered, yes
I must be out of my head...
something soemthing...
my name will mean nothing
ten minutes after I'm dead'

Jesus in JC Superstar.
(it's surpring to think that andrew llyod webber is capable of irony)>>>