Issue #1435 - March 13, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest   Saturday, March 13 1999   Volume 01 : Number 1435

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Wheeee!!
    Hey everybody
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1434
    random ravings and questions
    yay jcs fans
    Yeesh
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1434
    TRACK LISTING FOR "ARMY" AUSSIE SINGLE
    BF5 MP3s needed
    Michigan Joe?
    JJJ have the single!!
    MTV & Syracuse University
    jcss
    ok...my somewhat crappy review of army
    More bass stuff from MAtt!

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:44:10 EST
From: Emmaline20@aol.com
Subject: Wheeee!!

Salut! Deux questions pour vous:

1. Does anyone know when tix go on sale for the Amherst show?

2. Does anyone know how I may be able to acquire tickets for the URI show?

Merci beaucoup!!

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:21:08 EST
From: BlueJellow@aol.com
Subject: Hey everybody

Welps, I think it's time for me to post again.

Ben's girlfriend is having twins.  She's due this summer.  They are not
married, not like that's our buisness anyway.  If you remember Ben got in his
car two January's ago and rode across Australia.  He meets : Frally.  I think.

Ben *IS* moving to Australia, but I bet he'll keep his house in Chapel Hill.
He has flexibility that way.  He told me that he has to work *very* hard this
spring and summer for his new kids.  This is good for all of us.  He's not
going to be slowing down just yet.

So don't worry people.  It's really not that big of a deal.  Let's have the
Folds twins anticipated instead of dreaded, ok?  Ben is very excited about
this.  He considers himself blessed.

Thank you.

Lucy
"You're so fucking MONEY and you don't even KNOW it!"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:19:01 EST
From: MongolFunk@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1434

<<<'i must be mad thinking
I'll be remembered, yes
I must be out of my head...
something soemthing...
my name will mean nothing
ten minutes after I'm dead'

Jesus in JC Superstar.
(it's surpring to think that andrew llyod webber is capable of irony)>>>

hate to make this completley off topic, but i do believe this is straight from
the bible, it's not tim rice's. just kind of paraphrased, i do believe that
whole musical is biblically based.

oh, and to add some ben stuff to this, i'm pretty dang sure that he's going to
be a dad, and it's going to be within this year.

- - Katie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:21:28 +1100
From: "Lewis Mitchell" <hglmitch@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: random ravings and questions

yay i heard army!!!! i'm sitting in this minibus coming home from a school
camp, exhausted as all hell. i'm trying to sleep and not listen to the crap
playing on jjj (don't flame me please) when the dj says, "and now the new
single from ben folds five". it is king!!! a bit more commercial than the
earlier stuff but i still like it. i have a question. is that a guitar in
the background, or just ben hitting chords? i couldn't hear properly as the
sound system sucked and the musically ignorant tools behind me wouldn't shut
up.

also, should i bother making a midi of brick? i know 2 or 3 are already
available on the net, but they're pretty incomplete. please write to me or
post the armchair and tell me whether you personally would bother
downloading one or not.

thanx
lewis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:23:04 GMT
From: "tavia -" <taves@hotmail.com>
Subject: yay jcs fans

paul:

>(look at your blank faces)
>my name will mean nothing
>ten minutes after I'm dead'

ta. who knows where my brain was

>did you know that the original soundtrack for jcss is one of ben's
favs?

yup. and the piano in jcs has very strong ben-elements. its a rocking
musical

Snlpiscopo@aol.com:

>Unless I'm mistaken, Sir Andy only wrote the music to that show, I'm
too lazy
>to look at the record, but he isn't a lyricicst.

I have a strong feeling you're right- as i said its too hard to beleive
that andrew lloyd webber is capable of irony

and to end with, my favourite line from the whole musical and a magical
wheelbarrow of chocolates to s/he who can pick the song.

'these sordid kind of things are coming hard to me' (possibly slightly
misquoted)

taves

'grew a mustache and a mullet...'

army of course

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:05:26 -0000
From: "Mia  Melena Davy" <thames@chickmail.com>
Subject: Yeesh

   <<I was reading over the mounting MA's in my mailbox, and I noticed
some posts about Ben and Frally moving to Adelaide, and I thought,
"How?" .. maybe I don't get the whole jist, but wouldn't Robert and
Darren have to move to? I mean.. they do need to practice together,
right? Maybe Amy's a little slow, but I just don't see how that would
work out.>>

First of all, of course I had thought about Darren and Robert and the whole collectiveness of the band needing to be in the one place. What I had meant to say was that Ben has moved to Adelaide for the TIME BEING, even though that won't be for long due to
 the upcoming concerts etc. Yes, he was probably being sarcastic when he said he wanted to have babies with Frally here, and yes, he is probably only here for a break, but the main idea is that he is here and that he likes the place, and that's enough for
 me. 'Tis all.

amy

***********************************
chickclick.com
http://www.chickclick.com
girl sites that don't fake it.
http://www.chickmail.com
sign up for your free email.
***********************************

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:03:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Joe Kreidel <z_kreidelrj@TITAN.SFASU.EDU>

> did any of you ever think that Ben was lying about moving to Adelaide?
> He is known for his lying.  besides, if he moves, shouldn't the rest of
> the band move too?  or are they going to break up.  it doesn't make any
> sense.

Think about it...the signs are there...worldwide popularity...relationship
with exotic foreigner...wierd, experimental music...followed by an
orchestral album...Frally is YOKO! the end is near, my friends, I urge
all to see the band as often as possible on this tour, as it is their
last. ben will continue as a succesful solo artist until he is
assassinated in about 10 years. darren will form a crappy band with his
wife (or someone else), and will be well recieved only when he rehashes
the memories of his old band and plays Brick repetitively. robert will
toil in obscurity, playing traditional indian music on his bass guitar.
it's sad, yes, but those who don't learn from rock history (in my
slightly bastardized form) are doomed to repeat it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:35:16 EST
From: JKFett@aol.com
Subject: TRACK LISTING FOR "ARMY" AUSSIE SINGLE

You too can preorder your own copy of the new "Army" Aussie single!
www.sirencd.com is preselling them for $9.99 plus shipping and handling. It
ships the first week of April.
Track listing:
1) Army
2) Birds
3) Leather Jacket
4) Air
I've dealt with them in the past and they're pretty decent. Fast to ship.
~Dan
http://www.msu.edu/~austind1

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:53:47 EST
From: Dreamer528@aol.com
Subject: BF5 MP3s needed

Hey everyone!

Thank you to Jordan for posting Army on his website!!  I'm glad I got to hear
it.

But anyways, I am looking for MP3s of rare BF5 songs.  I have a few, but there
are some I haven't heard yet.  If anyone has any (or a website with some on
there), will you please e-mail me them?  Here are a few that I know I am
missing, but if there are other rare ones, I would like to hear those too.

For All the Pretty People
Theme from "Dr. Pyser"
She Don't Use Jelly
Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
Champagne Supernova
Cool Whip
Elvin Bishop
Video Killed the Radio Star

If you are looking for rare BF5 MP3s too, we could trade some.  Thank you for
anyone who will help me out!!

- - Sarah

Dreamer528@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:51:27 PST
From: "Steve Warden" <warden_s@hotmail.com>
Subject: Michigan Joe?

Hey Michigan Joe.  Sorry to have to post this to the list, but I lost
the paper I wrote your e-mail address on, and it had the bands that you
wanted me to look for.  I plan to go to Vintage Vinyl this weekend
sometime, possibly tonight, so it would be great if you could send me
that list again.  Thanks.

Check out my homepage at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8557

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:57:21 PST
From: "Alice Childress" <jbpastie2@hotmail.com>
Subject: JJJ have the single!!

saturday morning, 7:00am, my alarm
went off, and after the news and one
song, i heard

ARMY

and i literally JUMPED out of bed and
cranked the radio.

JJJ must have their copy of the single!!!

they said that on 1999, whenever that is,
kingsmill, (or however you spell), will
play "new bf5 stuff". (i'm assuming that's
just ARMY again, but you never know, they
MIGHT play s'thing else too,) so listen out...

JANET  =)

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:25:03 EST
From: Natasha155@aol.com
Subject: MTV & Syracuse University

Hey-
I happened to hear on the radio that MTV was coming to Syracuse University...
and BFF was going also...  yeaaaahhhhh!!!   But.. I only heard about it on the
radio and I didn't see anything about it anywhere else (MTV site, Bffweb,
etc).   Soo, if anyone knows anything about this, or where I can get info
about it.. Please e-mail me!!!  Thanks!
- -Natasha

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:39:01 EST
From: Paul1681@aol.com
Subject: jcss

In a message dated 3/11/99 11:00:55 PM, owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
writes:

>Unless I'm mistaken, Sir Andy only wrote the music to that show, I'm too
>lazy
>to look at the record, but he isn't a lyricicst.
>
><<<'i must be mad thinking
>I'll be remembered, yes
>I must be out of my head...
>something soemthing...
>my name will mean nothing
>ten minutes after I'm dead'
>
>Jesus in JC Superstar.
>(it's surpring to think that andrew llyod webber is capable of irony)>>>

once again,
missing lyric - look at your blank faces
lyricist - Tim Rice

sorry for the non-bentent
army rules!  staying home from school let me be one of the first to get the
mp3!!!

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:22:36 +1100
From: "The Funky Dudes" <frenzal@emunet.com.au>
Subject: ok...my somewhat crappy review of army

- ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BE6D3B.6A7FA1C0

Well, the best way i can describe is as, when i first heard it
I couldn't get the song that goes "and there is always something
there to remind me", (can't remember the song title or who
sings it), out of my head.

Darren has this cool kick-drum pattern happening and it sounds like
the drum track wasn't recorded in a studio...think of the drum sound
off the Brown album by Primus....I personally think it sounds cool=20
cause it's got more bite.

Also, just before the brass starts up, there is a bass solo-ish thing=20
that sounds very similar to the tempo change bit in Rubber Sled
(where it stops being jazzy and turns intoa more pop kinda thing).

The overall sound was very reminiscient of the selftitled album and the
brass definitely adds a new dimension. I can't really see them playing=20
the song to the same effect with out them. I played Army to my friend
and he reckons it's the best BFF song he has heard. (He isn't a fan at
all...so maybe a good qualification).

MAtt!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:42:02 +1100
From: "The Funky Dudes" <frenzal@emunet.com.au>
Subject: More bass stuff from MAtt!

Also....I think the bass amps that Robert use's has changed.
I'm pretty sure that if I remember correctly he was using
Ampeg amps at the Sydney concert. Knowing the bands
musical likes, I reckon they would be of a 60's-70's vintage
probably driven by a tube amps for the warm feel. ( I couldn't
see the heads, so...bummer..)

Think I'll have to get that w&ea songbook.....

MAtt!