Issue #1436 - March 14, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Sunday, March 14 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1436

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Army. last time.
    To all you disbelievers...
    What I reckon...
    Hey Ya'll!
    some dates
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1435
    Those Rare mp3's..
    To Joe Kreidel

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:11:56 -0800 (PST)
From: "Jordan W." <tuo2@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Army. last time.

ok. i've done a higher quality realaudio of army, and
also a mp3 which is good. so fer once and fer all,
the adress is

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/battlefield/8540
\
and go to music and realaudio.

sign the guest book while you're there.

Jordan

ps. love the yoko post. you kick arse, matie!

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:35:44 -0000
From: "Mia  Melena Davy" <thames@chickmail.com>
Subject: To all you disbelievers...

Oh dear God. I take everything I said back. Ben Folds really is moving to Adelaide! Just check this out from this morning's Advertiser:
THE POP SUPERSTAR WITH BRICKS AND MORTAR IN ADELAIDE
By SARAH THOMAS
13mar99
POP stardom keeps Ben Folds away from home for nine months a year.
But now, when he's "home" he is in Adelaide.

Folds - frontman of popular United States band Ben Folds Five - has just bought a house in Hyde Park and will move in with his partner, Frally Hynes, this weekend.

And two others are due to share the house in July. The couple is expecting twins.

Folds, 32, and Frally, 27, met in Adelaide in January last year when the band was on tour and Frally was working as a yoga instructor at the Silvermine gallery in Glen Osmond.

Love blossomed and after the couple spent some time in Sydney together, Folds returned to the US to tour with his band.

He telephoned Frally nearly every day.

"Somewhere between the East Coast and the West Coast she agreed to come to the States," Folds recalled over dinner in the West End this week.

"She came for a month but it ended up being a year."

They planned to marry in New York last year but Frally fell ill.

The illness turned out to be pregnancy. The couple are now looking forward to the arrival of the twins - a boy and a girl.

Frally said: "Because I'm pregnant, I wanted to come home and have my mum around."

The couple hope their delayed wedding will go ahead in Adelaide soon.

Ben Folds Five - ironically a trio - achieved worldwide recognition with the album, Whatever and Ever Amen, which featured hit songs such as Brick, Battle of Who Could Care Less and Song for the Dumped.

The band's new album, The Unauthorised Biography of Reinhold Messner is due out next month.

Folds regrets that promotion commitments will keep him away from his family more than he would like.

"On average, I'm at home for about three months a year," he said. "Usually when I'm home, I'm tired so I just relax. This is a great place to relax.

"It's really clean and I've made a lot of friends here and it just feels right. I want to learn to hang glide."

Folds, originally from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, is also becoming hooked on Australian Rules football and enjoys kicking a ball around with his future brother-in-law, former Port Adelaide Magpies and West Coast Eagles player David Hynes.

Frally has become used to the showbiz atmosphere and says she and Folds have "one of the most normal relationships".

She has toured with the band, teaching yoga along the way.

"I enjoyed it but it's not something I would do all the time," she said. "The last year has been a lot of travelling. It's not really my lifestyle."

Nevertheless, having Frally with him has been inspirational for Folds.

"She inspires some of the moments on the new album," he said. "The better ones."

- ----------------------------------------------------
So there you go, all you disbelievers...I cannot believe the man that I admire so much is now living a mere 5 minutes away! In the article there was also a photo of Ben and Frally together which is really sweet - she looks like a very nice person, and the
y make a great couple. The Ben Folds tradition will live on with the twins! Oh, this is a good day. A very very good day indeed.

amy

***********************************
chickclick.com
http://www.chickclick.com
girl sites that don't fake it.
http://www.chickmail.com
sign up for your free email.
***********************************

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:37:27 -0800
From: Clare <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: What I reckon...

Hey everyone-
	     I can sense this will be a long post. First, I've put put
the transcript of the jjj interview up on my site (I know I'm the second
person to have said that, but, I've been busy). And on the pictures page
there are *gasp* pictures now!! From aussie rolling stone and juice. So
go there.
	Second, I absolutely LOVE army, but from what people have said it
sounds like army is "a quote out of context, witholding the rest, so
tuborm can be for us what we wanna see"... am I right? Opinions please.
	Thirdly, re: the people who suspect Ben was joking about moving
to Adelaide. For us who live here in Addy it sounds perfectly reasonable,
and besides: 1.He was seen here last year looking at real estate,
2.Frally is from Adelaide, 3.He was talking to Jo Chichester (don't know
how to spell it but she works on the Breakfast Show on jjj) about
*individual streets & places in Adelaide* so he obviously knows it well,
4.He'd probly only live here when not touring or recording, 5.He just
sounded so truthful and honest when he said it that disbelieving is very
hard. And re: wether he was joking about having kids- well I'm sure if he
was going to make up something he wouldn't involve Frally like that.
Think of how it could affect her if it wasn't true?
	Fourthly- about Ben Lee- well I don't know that he sounds all
that much like BF5 but I'm playing 'Breathing Tornados' now and it's
awesome. So listen to it!
	Fifthly- has anyone seen a *first edition* of Whatever in a shop
anywhere in Adelaide? I'm desperate!
				    Well, seeyrall!
						   -Clare

> aussie aussie aussie!!! oi!! oi!! oi!!or
Go, Aussie go (what a feeling)...
can't remember any more...
			  -aussie cricket chants
- --
 **********************Have a go at the trivia quiz!********************
The In-Betweens...                         ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co:

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:54:26 PST
From: "jason beard" <jasonrbeard@hotmail.com>
Subject: Hey Ya'll!

OK!

In my 2 years of this I am not going to be very happy if Ben moves away.
I think I speak for everyone when I say it's a lie. Anyone who has known
about Ben for a long time knows that he likes to shock his fans. I think
he is just trying to get our attention to see if we are still with him
or not. Im sure he is sitting back, and laughing about all of us talking
about this. Saying what dummies they are to believe it. WHO IS WITH ME
ON THIS!

Cheers!
Jason

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:52:54 EST
From: SallyAll@aol.com
Subject: some dates

i've been looking, but i can't seem to find any info on the brunswick, maine
show at bowdoin college, and i was just wondering if anyone out there did?
when do tickets go on sale, what ticket place is carrying them??  also any
info on the amherst show would also be appreciated.  thanks a lot!!!

love,
becky:)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:20:51 EST
From: WAVMaker2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #1435

In a message dated 3/12/99 9:17:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-
armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl writes:

<< "You're so fucking MONEY and you don't even KNOW it!"

Lucy, that is the most awesome quote that I have seen on this whole list!!
Rock on Swingers, you beautiful baby.  In addition, I got mad tix to a mad
phat BFF Concert on April 28, where I don't know but my friends scored me some
tix.  Rock on BFF.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:03:09 -0600 (CST)
From: Kyle Fisher <xeaxes@elmo.mwnt.net>
Subject: Those Rare mp3's..

Well, I decided to finally make a post to the armchair.  Fisrt off,
someone requested those mp3s of the rare BFF tracks.  Well, I have a link
to them on my Ben Folds Five site.  Plus a god-awful amount of other mp3s
from Ben Folds Five.  Live concerts, other rare songs, covers, demos, etc.
The url is http://www2.mwis.net/~xeaxes/bff.  I try to do daily updates
with news I scour up on the web, read on the armchair, and from other
sources.  If there is not any new news, then I try to do something else
(like my analysis of Army).  So, those mp3s are there if you want them.
Then, regarding TUBORM... It is great.  It definetly shows off the talent
of the band.  Of course, it really is not like the older BFF stuff.  Army
is the most similar, but the rest are differnt in sound.  It is all very
rich.  I think you guys will be in shock at how amazing songs like Mess
and Narcolepsy and Magic are.  It is all just wonderful.  Well, I gotta
go..

Peace All,
Kyle

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:35:54 EST
From: Astro111@aol.com
Subject: To Joe Kreidel

Joe-
<< Think about it...the signs are there...worldwide popularity...relationship
 with exotic foreigner...wierd, experimental music...followed by an
 orchestral album...Frally is YOKO! the end is near, my friends, I urge
 all to see the band as often as possible on this tour, as it is their
 last. ben will continue as a succesful solo artist until he is
 assassinated in about 10 years. darren will form a crappy band with his
 wife (or someone else), and will be well recieved only when he rehashes
 the memories of his old band and plays Brick repetitively. robert will
 toil in obscurity, playing traditional indian music on his bass guitar.
 it's sad, yes, but those who don't learn from rock history (in my
 slightly bastardized form) are doomed to repeat it.  >>

I know this is meant to be a joke, but it is too scary!!! AHHH! STOP THIS
NONSENSE! I WON'T HAVE BEN ASSASSINATED! AHHHHHH!
Okay I am better. Lets not joke on such a matter, eh?
Gratzi
- -RobinA