Issue #1444 - March 22, 1999

Magical Armchair Digest    Monday, March 22 1999    Volume 01 : Number 1444

   Send an e-mail message to:
          armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
with the word
          unsubscribe
in the message body. Please DO NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST
ITSELF, OR BY REPLYING TO THIS MESSAGE! If you are having trouble, send
mail to
          owner-armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
and I will try to help you. To change your address, first unsub yourself from

   Whenever there is a problem with the list, please check the list archive
address on the web (http://oeonline.com/bff/list) for updates.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    What's goin on...
    looking to trade
    Jackson Cannery
    Sydney 1997
    probably too late....
    tuborm review
    yo
    .WAVs for TUBORM?
    I'm 'back' - finally!!
    army in london
    Majordomo problems and a request from the listowner
    BFF MP3

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:35:26 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: What's goin on...

I haven't been getting the armchair the last few days, does anyone know why
this might be happening (I can email this because the armchair is on my
address book, for those who are wondering).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:16:00 PST
From: "Dustin A. O'Neil" <doneil41@hotmail.com>
Subject: looking to trade

Hey arm(y)chair people,
I have no BFF boots :(
I'm looking to trade for some Ben Folds Five tapes, I have a lot of Dave
Matthews, Guster, Pat McGee Band, Agents of Good Roots, etc to trade or
if someone would do a B&P for me, definately NO 2:1 though.

Thanks a lot,
Take it easy,
Dustin

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 22:27:48 EST
From: Snlpiscopo@aol.com
Subject: Jackson Cannery

Does anyone know where I can get a midi of or sheet music to Jackson Cannery?
I really want to know how to play it.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 02:36:02 +1100
From: "The Funky Dudes" <frenzal@emunet.com.au>
Subject: Sydney 1997

Yes they did play in Sydney in 1997
they played at Sydney Uni, the gig
rocked, only 150 or so in the audience
they played only album tracks and
the band just seemed to have fun.
The concert had a great vibe, but it
was nothing special about it

MAtt!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:28:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Anne Kirkwood <sillypot@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: probably too late....

it's probably too late to post this, but the truth about cats and dogs
is on tv tonight in Oz, if anyone wants to watch it. I'll be watching
just to see where bad ideais in the movie!

==
Why is it that if someone tells you that there are 1 billion stars in the universe you will believe them, but if they tell you a wall has wet paint you will have to touch it to be sure?

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 01:13:30 EST
From: Pyser02@aol.com
Subject: tuborm review

i was going to post this about 10 days ago, but decided to wait until other
people had heard the album first...

well, i am one of the very priveleged few to have been afforded the
opportunity of hearing the new album. and i must say, the first half of the
album is spellbinding. it is everything youve come to love and expect from
bff, and then some. while army is a fine start for those that have heard it
(for those that havent, think Stevens Last Night in Town meets Best
Imitation), 4 of the songs preceding it are so good that you will be
emotionally spent by track 5.  the first half of the album is THAT GOOD.
Darrens song Magic may be the most emotional song the band has released...at
least to me it is. tracks 1-4 will be playing on your cd player for a good
week, nonstop.

unfortunately i feel the 2nd half of the album isnt nearly as good. but that
isnt a put-down. it is IMPOSSIBLE for the 2nd half to be as good as the first
half. the second half is great in itself, although i could do without bens
father answering machine message (although the message in it is very nice).
the only song that really hasnt grown on me is jane. oh well, ill have to wait
for you all to get it to agree/disagree with me.

i really dont know what else to say, and think i may have said too much
already. while army and redneck past totally rock, tracks 1-4 are some of,
nay, ARE ben folds fives best work.

aaron

"sitting here in my bikini briefs..."
                                               - Bugzy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:50:28 EST
From: "Ed Grocer" <comeonlady@hotmail.com>
Subject: yo

so a friend of  mine who is pretty damn sexy told me tha]t I should
post....but I'm not really sure I have too much to say.We went out
tonight and saw the Flat Duo Jets....with the 2 Jasons...  And I
challenged some guy (Dave) to a fist fight and we wound up kicking each
other's asses outsidea nd now I have this huge lump on my head.

And my bizzaro Ben was there and he was wearing a motorcylcle helmet
but he doesn't ride a motorcycle and sunglasses, but it was dark
outside.  And I just love him to pieces.

And Cute Peppery Steve Good Buddy was hitting on some blonde with boobs
bigger than mine and it sucked but we gave him the LOSER sign and he
fucked off and left with her so it's all good.

And my head hurts.

And I don't know how all of you people got a copy of the new aLBUM, but
that's just not cool and you shouldn't  be sharing....  and all those
MP3's have got to go because not only is it illegal, it's just wrong...
as we say here in NC, "WRONG AGAIN".

I'm outtie....

Word to ya mutha.  Especially that jerk that runs the Fucking Retarded
Rockford Files.  YO...it's me.....not Mr. Ben asshole.

Rock out.  See y'all on tour.

Sista Sledge

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:06:34 -0800
From: Clare <oakes@box.net.au>
Subject: .WAVs for TUBORM?

After reading Stacy's review of TUBORM I am sooo excited to hear it- I
don't think I can wait the remaining 37 days, I'm so excited! I realise I
just said I was 'so excited' twice, but really I am!! Is anyone who has
it planning to make any '.wav' recordings of it for those of us with
old/dumb computers?
		   -Clare

Just out of interest, is anyone here on the Lazy Susan mailing list? Has
anyone even heard of them? (Sydney guitar pop band).

- --
 **********************Have a go at the trivia quiz!********************
The In-Betweens...                         ...Clare's BEN FOLDS FIVE Page
Co:           http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Vine/3381          Co:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:09:14 +1100
From: Daniel Hirning <dhirning@iname.com>
Subject: I'm 'back' - finally!!

G'day

- -- severe lack of bentent --

Well, despite all the problems that managed to accumulate all on top of one
another, all at the same time, i am finally back online. Uni is great
(well, socially uni is great... i am having my doubts about the greatness
of lectures and assignments and everything else that unfortunately can't be
just ignored (but i seem to be doing a really good job of that so far...))

One thing i have to say, people in Sydney are far nicer then people in
Tenterfield when it comes to Ben Folds Five, but most people in Tenterfield
adore <insert a country artist/singer here>, so their musical tastes aren't
the best..
Because i finally have got net access in my room, i got to hear Don't
Change your Plans, and i like it - it isn't _that_ different from some of
their earlier stuff, and to the guy/gal that said it was like their earlier
demo stuff, i agree with that - it is cool. oh, and for those people
worried i was going to miss Army - again - , yes I did hear it on the
Friday even if the interview was severely edited it was still worth getting
up early to hear it (Fridays I just sleep <g> - i have 28hrs jammed into 4
days...) (thoughts on army: IT ROCKS)

** here is the actual reason for this post **
Cause not every problem i am having has been solved, i don't have anyones
email addresses for me to write to most of you... So, if you want me to
write, you have to first!!   Hopefully though, that should also be solved
sometime this week.  (Especially Cait, so if you still are on the MA -
email me!!!)

Also, seeing that i am now finally surrounded by people with far better
musical tastes then i am use to, i imagine there must be someone from the
MA at the uni of sydney?!? Yes?!? Maybe even first year (there would have
to be someone!!) so i propose we organise some form of meet up - not quite
sure what for, but.... why not!

And finally - MP3's of the new album?? Come on you people with the
promos!!!  If it is because no one has anywhere to put them, i can
*probable* host them from mid this week......... (email me if you want to
take me up on that proposal and i will do some looking into it....)

- -Daniel

Don't change your plans, for me...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:52:51 -0000
From: "Joyti Ladher" <daisy@ladher.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: army in london

Anybody who is living in London who hasn't heard Army yet: take a listen to
GLR as they play it a lot, especially on Gideon Coe's show, who heaps loads
of praise on the song after it's been played.  I think the single is being
released here on the 12th April.  As BFF are still a relatively little known
band here, the station didn't make any fuss about having the exclusive
playing of the new BFF song, just a simple "...and this is the fantastic new
single from Ben Folds Five.  Enjoy".  That works just as well for me.

~joyti

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:48:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@oeonline.com>
Subject: Majordomo problems and a request from the listowner

The lapse in sending out digests was caused by a problem with a software
upgrade at the server. One of the new libraries did not work well with
sendmail's alias table. Everyone should be caught up by now and some
subscribers may have received two copies of some digests.

On another note - an unrelated problem has caused the loss of several
months' worth of recently archived digests. If you have saved any or all
issues of the Armchair between September 26, 1998 and March 13, 1999,
please contact me privately.  I would like to restore these to the
archives. Thanks.

 -fjm
                         Turn up the music...   thanks

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:03:05 CST
From: "Lauren Talbot" <muffyhead98@hotmail.com>
Subject: BFF MP3

     Does anyone know where I can find some BFF Mp3's?  I don't want to
make bootlegs or anything...I just like them.  I am particularly looking
for "In Love" from "Fear of Pop."  I saw one on J. Hauer's site
(www.benfoldsfive.org), but the server was down or something.
     I have also noticed how everyone is getting along much better now
that the new album is coming out.  I think everyone was at each other's
throats because we really didn't have anything to talk about except for
each other.  By the way, I heard Army, and I think it's a great song!  I
hope the rest of the album is just as good.